4 posts in this topic

Hello

My wife's early 2009 Snow Leopard iMac has started failing to boot properly and I'm looking for some troubleshooting tips.

Booting from cold, it gets past the logon screen and starts loading the desktop. It's quite slow at this point, but does load all the (hundreds of!) icons on the desktop. It also tries to re-open Firefox which had a lot of tabs open. Initially it would load a Firefox window but not complete loading the internals. On one boot I think I managed to close Firefox and now it still tries to load but just displays "Firefox" in the title bar with no windows.

I can initially access a few menus, spotlight, Finder, the dock, but any further action results in a beach ball for these, and they can't be accessed again. I was able to navigate Finder to try to launch Terminal but just it just gave me the beach ball.

I've left it like this for about half an hour but it doesn't get any further and I have to force shutdown (long press of power button).

I tried booting to safe mode (holding down S on startup) but the end result was the same.

I've been able to boot to a live ubuntu USB disk and can access files on the hard disk, so I've started a backup. We have a time machine backup but it's not that recent.

I'm hoping it's just a corrupt file, but suspect it's the hard disk starting to fail.

What's the best way to troubleshoot this?

Thanks

Advertisement
6 hours ago, stuckinstandby said:

but suspect it's the hard disk starting to fail.

+1

Try boot the macOS with the recovery partition, and check the HDD with DU.

In disk utility while in restore run first aid another utility is tech tools see if their is a SMART failure my assumptions it’s the hard drive is going south

its easy to remove and install a SSD hard drive

if the drive you remove has an apple logo see if has thermal sensor couple attach to it; probably not you’ll need one from OWC to connect to the SATA connector as apple used the internal from SMART

lou cioccio 

Edited by LouCioccio

Thanks. I managed to fix the problem last night. It's a weird one - it turns out that there's some issue related to IPv6.

I swapped to a new router over a week ago and because I don't use this mac I didn't realise this issue was related. 

I found a thread on my ISP's forum: Sagemcom 2704N causing MacBook to crash

As a test, I turned the router off and the mac started fine. For now I've just disabled wifi on the mac and it's working. 

The post just says to disable IPv6. I'm not sure whether that's: disable it on the router or disable it is OS X, but I think I'll change to an ethernet cable anyway.

Probably a wake-up call to test the disk, get backups updated and maybe upgrade the disk anyway - SSD would be a big improvement.

Thanks for your help.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By uXmow
      Hi,

I've been suffering from random system hangs. I've just updated to the latest 10.14.5 version of Mojave.
      But I've been getting them as early as my first hackintosh on High Sierra... (Back then I've used a Nvidia GTX 970)
      Really frustrating as nothing helped so far.

my symptoms:
      Picture freezes/hangs with the picture visible Audio freezes (no sound or loops) Cannot move the mouse or any other responses. Have to hard reset after such a freeze Totally random, not load related as it can happen when idle, or when just working in chrome etc... sometimes i can last for a day without a freeze and then sometimes it happens every half an hour... my system:
      Motherboard: Gigabitye Z68AP-D3 (Rev 1.0 w Legacy bios - !NO UEFI!) CPU: Intel i7-2600K GPU: XFX RX 580 8GB Using Display port (other ports causes black screen during boot) RAM: Kingston 12GB DDR3 1333 MHz SSD: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB I've uploaded my updated EFI folder here. Kexts also uploaded here. Installed /Library/Extensions/ All the latest versions.
      Any help is appreciated
    • By SoThOr
      This was spurred on from a discussion in the Clover General thread. Where there was a debate on bcdedit being able create/read/edit (U)EFI Boot entries. I didn't think it appropriate to post all this information there and somebody may want to make use of this and its likely to get lost in that massive thread.

Out of curiosity I decided to see if I could create an EFI entry using bcdedit. What can I say I like a challenge.  Whilst is not a documented method by Microsoft, as it turns out in a round about way it IS possible to create an EFI entry using bcdedit and these are the steps I went through to add UEFI Shell located on a USB stick to the EFI entries. 

Third party software is available that can create and edit UEFI entries from Windows with better support and more features. I'm just making this information available in case those options are unavailable. 

DISCLAIMER - This is not a supported method. Use at your own risk. I recommend backing up your BCD/Firmware variables/settings beforehand.

1) Copy {bootmgr} entry.
      C:\Windows\System32>bcdedit /copy {bootmgr} /d "UEFI Shell" The entry was successfully copied to {34e8383c-73a7-11e9-9cb0-94de8078a7b5}. 2) Edit the new entry using the new GUID bcdedit generated in the copy step.
        a) Set the device and path for UEFI shell on my USB stick.
      bcdedit /set {34e8383d-73a7-11e9-9cb0-94de8078a7b5} device partition=G: bcdedit /set {34e8383d-73a7-11e9-9cb0-94de8078a7b5} path \EFI\SHELL\SHELLX64.efi   b) Clean up some of the stuff that was copied from {bootmgr} (optional as far as I can tell, just makes things tidier in bcdedit)
      3) Put the new EFI entry first in boot order. (optional)

After completing the steps above, here is what "bcdedit /enum firmware" shows:

I shutdown my computer and when I turned my computer back on it booted up into UEFI Shell. After exiting the shell my PC went on to boot Windows.
      Here is the resulting dump using "bcfg boot dump -v" from that shell:

You may notice that the shell shows as "Windows Boot Manager" in the bcdedit output. This I believe is because of the "WINDOWS" at the beginning of the option data that bcdedit added to the EFI Boot entry. I also believe this why bcdedit shows my Windows 8 installation as "Firmware Application" because it has no option data. I don't know how to remove this data using bcdedit nor do I know how the option data, that bcdedit adds, will affect other EFI applications.

There might be a way to create the EFI entry without copying the Windows entry but if there is I'm unable to find any documentation on how one would do so. If you use the create command then it just puts it in the BCD and I'm unaware of a way to tell it to create it in EFI instead, other than by doing the above.
    • By ale003
      Boa noite galera!

já a alguns anos que tenho hackintosh, é um I7 6700K em uma Asus Maximus Hero VIII Z170 com GPU RX480 8gb
      Porém desde sempre tenho congelamentos aleatórios, na maioria das vezes quando coloco um filme pra exportar no final cut. mas já aconteceu enquanto via videos ou escutava musicas no spotify e recentemente até ao ligar o computador, mal ligou congelou. ele congela todo não dá pra mexer em nada, só desligando segurando botão power que ele volta.

Me disseram que era gerenciamento de energia, eu baixei a DSDT do meu processador, segui alguns outros tutoriais e ainda nada. não consigo de jeito nenhum resolver esse problema, já instalei varias versões desde o yosemite até o High sierra, e ainda nada. Só esse pequeno detalhe que me desanima do Hack. 

Alguem pode ajudar?

High Sierra 10.13.6
      Asus Maximus Hero VIII
      RX 480 Nitrous + 8GB
      Trident Z 16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
    • By Pericles
      I've been trying to boot MacOS Mojave (10.14.4) after installation on a system I've built.

I was able to successfully install Mojave through my USB, it seemed like the installer recognised my gpu and was working with it in the installation screen as it looked like it was outputting video at 4k resolution. When the computer restarted I then booted into the "Preboot" option on clover twice (the first time I tried the progress bar got to a certain point and then the system restarted) and on the second attempt the progress bar filled up completelly and the mac installer counted down to a restart (which I took as meaning that it had successfully finished the installer). After restarting however I tried to boot into MacOS from the SSD I installed it on, the apple logo showed up with a progress bar that filled up completelly before the screen turned black, then grey with a cursor over the grey screen. Also, it's probably worth noting that the GPU's fans continue to spin from turning the system on, up to the point where the screen turns grey after which they stop spinning.

My system specs are as follows:
      CPU: i5 3470
      GPU: RX 570
      RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz 
      MB: Asrock B75m r2
      SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250gb
      WiFi/BT: Fenvi FV-T919 PCIE Card

I am thinking that it's probably a gpu related issue as everything about the installation process has gone pretty smoothly up to the point where it's displaying a grey screen at bootup (and not going further). I have attached a photo of the output from rebooting with the verbose bootflag (it's missing one line at the bottom "busy timeout[1], (240s): 'AppleACPICPU'"), after the verbose output stays on the screen for a few minutes the screen then turns grey with the cursor and hangs there.