4 posts in this topic

Hello

My wife's early 2009 Snow Leopard iMac has started failing to boot properly and I'm looking for some troubleshooting tips.

Booting from cold, it gets past the logon screen and starts loading the desktop. It's quite slow at this point, but does load all the (hundreds of!) icons on the desktop. It also tries to re-open Firefox which had a lot of tabs open. Initially it would load a Firefox window but not complete loading the internals. On one boot I think I managed to close Firefox and now it still tries to load but just displays "Firefox" in the title bar with no windows.

I can initially access a few menus, spotlight, Finder, the dock, but any further action results in a beach ball for these, and they can't be accessed again. I was able to navigate Finder to try to launch Terminal but just it just gave me the beach ball.

I've left it like this for about half an hour but it doesn't get any further and I have to force shutdown (long press of power button).

I tried booting to safe mode (holding down S on startup) but the end result was the same.

I've been able to boot to a live ubuntu USB disk and can access files on the hard disk, so I've started a backup. We have a time machine backup but it's not that recent.

I'm hoping it's just a corrupt file, but suspect it's the hard disk starting to fail.

What's the best way to troubleshoot this?

Thanks

Advertisement
6 hours ago, stuckinstandby said:

but suspect it's the hard disk starting to fail.

+1

Try boot the macOS with the recovery partition, and check the HDD with DU.

In disk utility while in restore run first aid another utility is tech tools see if their is a SMART failure my assumptions it’s the hard drive is going south

its easy to remove and install a SSD hard drive

if the drive you remove has an apple logo see if has thermal sensor couple attach to it; probably not you’ll need one from OWC to connect to the SATA connector as apple used the internal from SMART

lou cioccio 

Edited by LouCioccio

Thanks. I managed to fix the problem last night. It's a weird one - it turns out that there's some issue related to IPv6.

I swapped to a new router over a week ago and because I don't use this mac I didn't realise this issue was related. 

I found a thread on my ISP's forum: Sagemcom 2704N causing MacBook to crash

As a test, I turned the router off and the mac started fine. For now I've just disabled wifi on the mac and it's working. 

The post just says to disable IPv6. I'm not sure whether that's: disable it on the router or disable it is OS X, but I think I'll change to an ethernet cable anyway.

Probably a wake-up call to test the disk, get backups updated and maybe upgrade the disk anyway - SSD would be a big improvement.

Thanks for your help.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Sagnik Ganguly
      Hello I'm Sagnik Ganguly, I'm trying to dual boot macOS 10.14 and Windows 10 (already installed) on a PC with Legacy BIOS. I've two hard drives one in where the windows is installed and another which is converted to GPT to install macOS Mojave 10.14 with a partion of Mac OS Extended (Journal) or APFS but when I went to the Install Disk Selection page, I'm selecting the partition but it says "This version of macOS 10.14 cannot be installed on this computer." can you help me please? 
      P. S. My motherboard doesn't support UEFI. 
      I'm attaching some pictures of the screens.

• By fercho3138
      Hi!
      So I've successfully built my rig and installed Mac os
      Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro Wifi Intel Core i7 9700k Ballistix Sport 32gb Samsung evo 500gb nv Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Pulse Corsair h60 The thing is that I got it running perfectly, even performed some heavy video renderings with no problem but sometimes it just restarts on its own, sometimes when I'm using Chrome, sometimes when I'm editing or whatever other task. Last time it happened I got the forbidden sign on the screen so I tried to boot up again using the -v flag and I got the "Couldn't allocate runtime area" message, which is very strange because I had no problems in booting up the system after I made my configurations in the config.plist

Please someone give me some help with this problem, I'm completly stucked!!
      config.plist
    • By Franklin_NGO
      Hello, does anyone here has experience on thinkpad P hackintoshing? I'm using vanilla guide (my EFI is here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/i3xzh9lnjpae9nj/EFI_Thinkpad_P53s.zip/file) Hackintosh: Catalina 10.15.2 Hardware: CPU: Intel Core i7-8665U Processor (1.90GHz GHz 8MB) GPU: NVIDIA Quadro P520 2 GB GDDR5/ intel UHD 620 RAM: 16.0GB PC4-19200 DDR4 Soldered 2400MHz SSD/ HDD: 1TB SSD Samsung PCIe Motherboard/Laptop model: Intel Coffee Lake-U/Y PCH rev. 30/ Thinkpad P53s BIOS: Lenovo version 1.60 (12/30/2019) Screen: 15.6 "FHD IPS AntiGlare LED Backlight 1920x1080 Ethernet Card: Intel I219-LM Wifi/BT Card: Wireless Intel AC adapter 9560 2x2ac with BT5.0   Status: disabled dGPU, patched HD620 (able to boot to the installation USB without fake ID)   Problem: I finished the first phase of installation (auto reboot at 2 minutes remaining); then I was able to boot to the new installed disk, but it keeps rebooting at "13 minutes remaining". The verbose as in the picture. Thank you and good day.
    • By lizdav
      Hello People,

I have a dual-boot system with both Win10 and MacOS on separate drives. MacOS on an SSD while Windows is on a standard laptop HD. At first it was working fine and I haven't thought much of it but recently MacOS started acting weird. The first thing I noticed was that Clover somehow "forgot" my primary boot drive. This wasn't a huge issue though, as it was booting just fine once I hit enter on the drive selected. I updated Windows 10 to a newer build, however, I did all of this with the SSD drive unplugged just to be sure. Now Windows is working properly while MacOS is having some quite frustrating errors which make it impossible for me to work...

Anyway, the problems are the following:

- random reboots
      - apps freeze or won't start just "bounce"
      - internet not working(eventhough every other device connects just fine)
      - system is laggy overall

I have tried emptying NVRAM int Terminal but I only got a message saying 'Error clearing firmware variables'. I've been searching for solutions on the web for the issue at hand but struggled to find one... I would really appreciate some help.

I attached my config.plist down below. If more information is required, please let me know.

Thank you!!

config.plist