iMac 27" mid 2011 case mod project

Renard45

8 posts in this topic

Hi all, a friend give me an old imac 21.5" late 2009 with moitherboard dead, i want to make a hackintosh with it then i have some questions:

first because of the screen i need to keep the power supply of the imac because there is another logic board for the power supply of the screen (i think so if there is another solution please tell me)

1- there is an adaptator of the main connector of the power supply to atx 24 pin for a pc motherboard?

2- a lvds convertor for the screen?

thanks in advance for help

Edited by Renard45

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Project updated after a long time.
Full working on Catalina 10.15.3 at this time.

0nx7taa89p25pq04g.jpg

iMac case with LCD works.
iSight works with pin out solder on USB.

Things left to get work:
Chime boot with arduino
SD card must find the right pinout
Bluetooth card must find the right pinout
and waiting my case

29eca8xf04kzg4p4g.jpg

Edited by Renard45
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...

hi all, it has been a long time i started this mod but finally sell the imac 21.5" case with working lcd now i recuperate and old imac 27" mid 2011 and wanted to put this mlotherboard:

i have and old i7 4770k and wanted to install monterey on it could someone confirm? can not install sonoma???

motherboard.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/20/2023 at 7:07 PM, Renard45 said:

hi all, it has been a long time i started this mod but finally sell the imac 21.5" case with working lcd now i recuperate and old imac 27" mid 2011 and wanted to put this mlotherboard:

i have and old i7 4770k and wanted to install monterey on it could someone confirm? can not install sonoma???

motherboard.jpg

The whole process is a bit complex...

Officially, Apple's compatibility list for macOS Monterey includes Mac models from late 2013 and later, such as the MacBook (Early 2016 and later), MacBook Air (Early 2015 and later), and iMac (Late 2015 and later). (you can check it out here). However, in the world of Hackintosh, things are a bit different.

As far as I remember, there were instances of people running Monterey on similar setups. However, I bet that the process involves some trial and error. You'd have to create a bootable installer, configure the BIOS, install a Bootloader and so on. 

As for Sonoma, I'm really not sure. I think it's best to focus on Monterey for now.