HP 840 G3 EliteBook ** WiFI and Bluetooth resolved** Monterey / Big Sur

Donw35

132 posts in this topic

Upgrading Clover, here is what I do.. Mount the EFI partition and make sure to have copies of the /kexts and /drivers/UEFI  folders. after in the clover app under customize, make sure you have the same drivers selected that are in your /drivers/UEFI folder, clover sometimes removes them and doesn't re install unless you select them.

the USB Wifi is probably causing your sleep issues. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you very for your reply, after many times of installing and fails and figured out the problem from your hint about Clover folders .. it seems that new versions of Clover is adding an individual Driver/UEFI folder with the drivers which classically are supposed to be in drivers64UEFI, the new Folder seems to have the exact drivers in the old one.

this seems to make system fails to boot I deleted the new folder and the system booted normally without any problem with the latest Clover 5070... well I wonder what is the difference with all those clover's versions ... tbh as a beginner maybe no idea I find them pretty much the same . 

I'm waiting my wifi Card and adapter to upgrade and see how this would affect sleeping behaviour without USB wifi btw does this device have a bios whitelist

Another question I have is regarding booting up ... do you also get delayed clover boot up screen and stuck with HP logo for couple of seconds ? or i'm the only one who suffers from this ?

I hackintoshed many HPs starting from HP 8440P and 4540s ,840 G1 they all boot very normal except this one .

it stucks at HP logo couple of Seconds and then needs also 3 seconds till clover scan all drivers and hdds then i boot normal 

I wonder if there is something to make this works smoothly .. 

i'm really grateful for your hint regarding Clover :D

Update: I do have Native Wifi and BT using the Method Hackintosh Geek mentioned, closing the laptop with this weird configuration wasn't really easy but it works and when its closed you don't care what inside ... it works perfectly thanks again ! 

hope the Device would sleep easily now and doesn't wake up suddenly without any reason and the issue would be the usb wifi dongle ! 

Edited by Isaac24

• 1 month later...
On 8/22/2018 at 7:54 AM, Donw35 said:

This laptop does not have a Webcam - enterprise model.

if you see the camera "eye" in the display rand, you probably just need to switch it on in UEFI BIOS Settings. I have thw similar situation with my daughter's G1. It was bought from lease pool reseller and had not the cam according to sellers' specifications, but the call to HP Hotline reveals that the camera and Fingerprint are presented and could be reactivated in BIOS. The "normal" enterprise user does not have access to BIOS, so the features are not avialable.

On 8/22/2018 at 7:54 AM, Donw35 said:

HP 840 G2, working with OS X 10.15 Catalina, for this to work you will need the SSDT-ECUSBX.aml and place that  EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/Patched. 

Make sure you remove Remove all patch about renaming acpi of EC or H_EC,, revert all ACPI renaming in ACPI DSDT.

Happy Hackintosh

I have a HP 840 G3 that was donated to me to Hackintosh, currently running High Sierra 10.13.6. This should work for the 840 G2 and you may even have more luck with the 840 G1 with the WiFi that PCIe.

My method to install OS X on the SSD from a working real Mac via SSD to USB converter. I then install Clover and add my kexts ad set the config.plist

Not working

SD Card reader

Working

Video - screen looks better in OS X then it does in Windows 10

VGA port

WiFi and BlueTooth working OOO using the below hack

Battery status with Rehabman's DSDT patch

Brightness controls

Sounds - using VoodooHDA

Microphone - cannot turn it off or mute

Keyboard backlight - controlled though BIOS anyways

touchpad - using VoodooPS2Controller

USB3 - this laptop has two on board only and I haven't test them using the docking station

USB3.1 C

Ethernet - using IntelMausiEthernet

Sleep - kind of, closing the lid doesn't go to sleep but goes to sleep over time.

Not tested

This laptop does not have a Webcam - enterprise model.

Display port

Finger Print device

For me what keeps this from being a day to day usable laptop (Mac Book) is the WiFi + Bluetooth, not having battery percentage could be an issue later though.

Clover_folder for those that want to play along.

IMG_2447.JPG

SSDT-ECUSBX.aml

webcam ok test with facetime

On 8/26/2018 at 7:40 AM, Donw35 said:

I resolved the WiFi and Bluetooth issues by using a supported module 

BCM943224PCIEBT2 Card To NGFF(M.2) Key A/E Adapter from Amazon for $14

MacBook Air 13 A1369 11 A1370 WiFi Bluetooth Air Port Card from eBay $10

I had to do some cutting on the A/E adapter but was able to get it to fit, its a lot taller but the case closes without problems. I rather like this hack as the WiFi and Bluetooth are needed services and OS support will increase over all performance and confidence.

I have elitebook 840 g3 too. I was wondering, does the wifi card you have replaced is working on Windows 10?

Thank you for efforts.

Regarding the G2 and Catalina, is the fan running normally?

I have a G2 that I upgraded using the App Store installer and it has pretty much gone well.  I have a compatible wifi/bluetooth card and with updated kext have got that running pretty good.  The only issue is that the fan is definitely working harder than on Mojave and the unit 'feels' warmer to work on (the palm rest on the right definitely is warmer).

I followed the tonymac guide to getting Mojave on this laptop.  I know, but I am still very much learning and needed a simple guide to get going with.

Just so I am clear (remember, I am learning!) - I can install Catalina using my MacMini to a SSD, install the latest version of Clover to that SSD and then copy your G3 Clover/EFI folder to it and it should be all ready to go? is the SSDT file needed for the G2 included or do I need to add that in?

Thanks for the great posts... my G2 is running really nicely as it is other than the fan and hear concerns and I am really interested in giving this a try.  I would prefer a fresh install to the upgrade that I have now... something I learnt from my Windows days!  

I updated the clover folder in the 4th post with my most recent one, I haven't had any issues with the fan but there is a BIOS setting that you may want to verify that it set correctly

A clean install is always a good option. I am also using Kext Updater for maintenance and upkeep.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2018 at 2:36 AM, Donw35 said:

I haven't done it but you will have to contact HP and flash the bios using a CMOS.bin file.

For those that are interested, here is my clover stuff for the HP 840 G3

HP G2 800.zip

I have the same laptop

HP 840 G2 i5-5300u

I copied your Clover into my EFI partition without edit.

Unfortunately, Touchpad is not working, so I must use a USB Mouse.

Any idea? Thanks

NB: Mojave 10.14.6

Edited by dhanang

9 hours ago, dhanang said:

I have the same laptop

HP 840 G2 i5-5300u

I copied your Clover into my EFI partition without edit.

Unfortunately, Touchpad is not working, so I must use a USB Mouse.

Any idea? Thanks

For track pad we are using VoodooPS2Controller.kext. make sure you have that. if that doesn't work. let me know, I may have something else we can try

• 2 months later...
On 9/25/2018 at 5:32 PM, Donw35 said:

If you want Mojave on this system, this is what I did.

Copied EFI folder to a thumb drive

took the SSD out of the laptop and installed Mojave from a real mac

installed clover and put the EFI folder from the thumb drive

reboot and done.

IMG_0043.jpeg

Where do you install the clover? Do you install clover while the SSD is still plugged in the real Mac?

By the way, thanks for providing instructions and sharing your files.

Edited by JMTPEB

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For imessages and facetime what method did you use to generate smmuid, mlb, rom, serial number, and board serial number?

I'm stuck at authentication. And get the :"You cannot sign into imessage at this time.To use iMessage with this Mac, contact Apple Support and provide the code below. "

I'm trying to use the ethernet adapter without wifi card.

Hey my man I’m sort of new to this but, Did you ever think of making a tutorial specifically on this laptop model? Would be dope if you could show us in real time how you set it all up prior install. 

I have the exact same laptop and trying to run Mojave on it.

i got it to install and all that good stuff but I really need help figuring out the kext files to get my touchpad and keyboard to work as well as sound. I do understand I will have to purchase a card for the WiFi to work but I’m going to order one as soon as I can. 

I guess my question here is how do you install the proper kext files? 

@sands210 Your clover folder is jacked, go back to the one I posted. Using other clover folders doesn't always work, you have to tailor it for your system.

@iHemno, I will have a look on your folder and yes, I could put something together, I realized on my HP 840 G2 that the track pad doesn't work either so I guess I will be working on that.

Stay tuned

Edited by Donw35

• 2 weeks later...

hi, I was on Mojave HP 840 G3 and was working ok , i took the new clover you posted and installed Catalina .. before i was always stuck in installation.

now I have Catalina but it doesn't boot up at least not in normal way the loading bar progress slowly and stuck then reboot the system . 

I could only login in Safe Mode .. 

any suggestion or a way to figure the problem out and let it work normally ? before I used also your Clover since i'm noob in Mac thing and it worked 

great on Mojave but with Catalina seems not that lucky 

On 3/8/2020 at 11:36 PM, Donw35 said:

can you share your clover folder.

I had to use the Laptop so i formatted and went back to Mojave, the only problem annoys me with Mojave or let say with the laptop is sleeping mode, it works fine sometimes yet it doesn't always and worse when u take it in back and wake up .

it will be like hell warm and Hibernate no idea if its possible to activate ? 

any tips or solution for sleep or Hibernate thing , is Catalina better than Mojave with the 840 G3 ? 

this is my current Clover I deleted theme folder cause it was over 15 mb 

CLOVER.zip

Edited by Isaac24

On 8/22/2018 at 12:54 PM, Donw35 said:

Catalina update 10.15.3 without issues, make sure you update your kexts before hand.

Catalina update 10.15.2 without issues, make sure you update your kexts before hand.

Catalina update 10.15.1 without issue although you may have to make sure clover boots from the right partition.

HP 840 G2/G3, working with OS X 10.15 Catalina, for this to work you will need the SSDT-ECUSBX.aml and place that  EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/Patched. 

Make sure you remove Remove all patches about renaming acpi of EC or H_EC, revert all ACPI renaming in ACPI DSDT.

My method to install OS X on the SSD from a working real Mac via SSD to USB converter. I then install Clover and add my kexts and set the config.plist

Not working

SD Card reader

Finger Print device

Working

Video - screen looks better in OS X then it does in Windows 10

Display port

VGA port

WiFi and BlueTooth working OOO using the below hack

Battery status with Rehabman's DSDT patch

Brightness controls

Sounds - using VoodooHDA

* Microphone - cannot turn it off or mute

Keyboard backlight - controlled though BIOS anyways

touchpad - using VoodooPS2Controller

USB3 - this laptop has two on board only and I haven't test them using the docking station

USB3.1 C

Ethernet - using IntelMausiEthernet

Sleep - kind of, closing the lid doesn't go to sleep but goes to sleep over time.

Web Cam, works but I covered it up.

IMG_2447.JPG

SSDT-ECUSBX.aml

CLOVER.zip

CLOVER_HP_840_G3_02032020.zip

I have HP 840 G2 too. But my trackpad can't work ? How fix, thank !