Donw35

HP 840 G3 EliteBook ** WiFI and Bluetooth resolved** Big Sur / Catalina

113 posts in this topic

09222020 - Big Sur Beta 8 update, no issues.

09192020 - Big Sur Beta 7 update, no issues.

09042020 - Big Sur Beta 6 update, no issues.

I have moved on with this and do not use my HP G2 for Hackintosh, its mainly used for Kali Linux for Packet analysis these days, with that said I am using the HP 840 G3 for Hackintosh. I transitioned to OpenCore and Big Sur for this laptop but feel free to continue to ask questions. 

My G3 has the BCM84360CS2 mod, I got the module from eBay for $10 and the adapter for $10 off amazon.

Big Sur Beta 5 is working using the below EFI folder. OpenCore 6.1.0 and latest kexts

Method: USB Big Sur installation

• Create an Big Sur Beta5 or Catalina USB installer (google is your friend here, plenty of tutorials there)
  • Mount the EFI partition of your USB installer using Clover Configurator
  • Copy the EFI file attached here.
  • Boot your laptop using F9 and choose the USB installer and follow the prompts

Spoiler

464583856_ScreenShot2020-08-22at9_03_25AM.thumb.png.d97630c6ded3254674812fd0e03dfebd.png

IMG_0823.thumb.jpeg.7da62e5ad95165f069c7ca99011f8da5.jpeg

IMG_0824.thumb.jpg.ad6cca2763d1fb663f58953d8297e93d.jpg

Catalina and old method in the Spoiler

Spoiler

Catalina update 10.15.5 without issues, make sure you update your kexts before hand and clover 5118

Catalina update 10.15.4 without issues, make sure you update your kexts before hand and clover 5107

Catalina update 10.15.3 without issues, make sure you update your kexts before hand.

Catalina update 10.15.2 without issues, make sure you update your kexts before hand.

Catalina update 10.15.1 without issue although you may have to make sure clover boots from the right partition.

HP 840 G2/G3, working with OS X 10.15 Catalina, for this to work you will need the SSDT-ECUSBX.aml and place that  EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/Patched. 

Make sure you remove Remove all patches about renaming acpi of EC or H_EC, revert all ACPI renaming in ACPI DSDT.

My method to install OS X on the SSD from a working real Mac via SSD to USB converter. I then install Clover and add my kexts and set the config.plist

Not working

SD Card reader

Finger Print device

Working

Video - screen looks better in OS X then it does in Windows 10

Display port

VGA port

WiFi and BlueTooth working OOO using the below hack

Battery status with Rehabman's DSDT patch

Brightness controls

Sounds - using VoodooHDA

* Microphone - cannot turn it off or mute

Keyboard backlight - controlled though BIOS anyways

touchpad - using VoodooPS2Controller

USB3 - this laptop has two on board only and I haven't test them using the docking station

USB3.1 C

Ethernet - using IntelMausiEthernet

Sleep - kind of, closing the lid doesn't go to sleep but goes to sleep over time.

Web Cam, works but I covered it up.

Credits go to Jake Lo for creating this EFI file. I did make some changes to his, this one is Open Core 6.1.0 and latest Lilu.kext and WhatEverGreen.kext

HP_840_G3_BSB5.zip

Edited by Donw35
updated

Advertisement

I resolved the WiFi and Bluetooth issues by using a supported module

NOTE I have found that the NCM94322 doesn't work well in Catalina, it does kind of work but other problems like iMessage and FaceTime are problematic. I recommend using the BCM94360, its supported and all works. 

BCM943224PCIEBT2 Card To NGFF(M.2) Key A/E Adapter from Amazon for $14

MacBook Air 13 A1369 11 A1370 WiFi Bluetooth Air Port Card from eBay $10

I had to do some cutting on the A/E adapter but was able to get it to fit, its a lot taller but the case closes without problems. I rather like this hack as the WiFi and Bluetooth are needed services and OS support will increase over all performance and confidence. 

IMG_0001.jpg

Edited by Donw35

If you want Mojave on this system, this is what I did.

Copied EFI folder to a thumb drive

took the SSD out of the laptop and installed Mojave from a real mac

installed clover and put the EFI folder from the thumb drive

reboot and done.

IMG_0043.jpeg

I haven't done it but you will have to contact HP and flash the bios using a CMOS.bin file.

For those that are interested, here is my clover stuff for the HP 840 G3

HP G2 800.zip

Edited by Donw35

Donw35, thanks for your post.

I am interested in trying this on my G3, and my plan was to follow this guide:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-hp-probook-elitebook-zbook-using-clover-uefi-hotpatch.261719/

But as i understand correctly, I can just install it without doing all the tweaks and stuff, but just copy and paste your clover folder (because it contains the config and .kext's)?

reboot and done.

Do you mean the clover folder with the EFI folder?

Yes, install Mojave on a hard disk from a real Mac, then install clover, then use my EFI folders. done.

Note, without the proper wifi card you will not have have Wifi or bluetooth, Intel doesn't work

On 9/28/2018 at 9:36 PM, Donw35 said:

I haven't done it but you will have to contact HP and flash the bios using a CMOS.bin file.

For those that are interested, here is my clover stuff for the HP 840 G3

HP_840_G3_Clover.zip

Donw35 this your DRIVER UEFI , they are too many, you put them ALL ...

the renames see in the pictures are correct for your HW

The kext are to be updated

Test this Clover and Post ioreg with these settings if it starts

Schermata 2018-11-11 alle 08.28.56.png

Schermata 2018-11-11 alle 08.32.51.png

Schermata 2018-11-11 alle 08.36.42.png

Clover.zip

Correct, that is an old EFI folder, I am going to remove it and add the latest one when I get home. sorry for the confusion.

EDIT- I added the new clover folder

Edited by Donw35

On 9/26/2018 at 2:32 AM, Donw35 said:

reboot and done.

IMG_0043.jpeg

Hey! Great build, but i have some remaining questions:

Where'd you find a working VGA driver? Can you give me  a link or the name of it?

What if i don't own a real mac, how can i upgrade then? I don't wanna lose my current files of my High Sierra build. (If there's no other choice than doing a clean install of  Mojave and backing up important stuff on another drive or so, that's ok.

Because i can't upgrade directly somehow.

The video drivers are supported by OS X already nothing to do unless your system has desecrate graphics chip.

I haven't done a upgrade or an USB install but its well documented

Hello @Donw35,

I am a complete noob and maybe I'm missing something, so I hope that you will have 5 minutes to spare to help me ^_^

I used the hackintosher.com EFI folder that i put on the EFI partition of my USB installer. I then replaced the content of the CLOVER folder with your files. However, when I try to boot from my USB drive, I am greeted with a black screen.

Do you have any idea?

Thanks in advance for your great help!

Ok, I'm dumb as a rock. I simply proceeded with a vanilla install and then used your EFI files directly on the laptop's drive.

So here is my little contribution:

• DisplayPort image works (tested with a HDMI <> DP cable)
  • No sound output (except via the 3,5mm jack), even after installing VoodooHDA
  • Battery percentage works
  • Both USB 3,1 ports work (tested with a keyboard and a mouse, as well as with a USB hub)

I wonder what keeps the sound from working.

Anyway: thank you so, so much for the files! You saved me 3-4 more hours days of searching.

Hi,

Thank you for this topic.

I have a similar laptop (820 g3) and i am attempting to install osx el capitan.

I believe your work would be of great help if i can get a functional clover for Sierra.

Would it be possible for you to re-upload you clover files please?

Thanks

Edited by Pikiman

El 26/8/2018 a la 1:40, Donw35 dijo:

BCM943224PCIEBT2 Tarjeta a NGFF (M.2) Adaptador A / E de Amazon por $ 14

MacBook Air 13 A1369 11 A1370 WiFi Tarjeta de puerto Bluetooth Air de eBay $ 10

Hola ¿Tienes un enlace a este producto? gracias

Hello do you have a link to this products? thanx and sorry my english

Edited by linuxmac

Hi everyone... will get a Samsung 970 EVO and split/ dual boot Mojave and W10.

BIG Question - since my 840 G3 is the touchscreen, any way of getting the touch to work in MacOS? :))

I have a Elitebook 840 G2 with touch screen, works out of the box. the OS isn't well suited for touch but it does work. Keep in mind that the M.2 in your Laptop is an SSD not an NVME, make sure the Samsung 970 EVO is going to work, I don't think it will.

first of All, thanks for sharing your own experience and Clover with us here ... it made it much easier to install, since i'm not a fan of DSDT patching stuff ! 

Nonetheless I have some issues would be glad if someone can help me with: 

1- I can't upgrade Clover every-time i do that the Laptop fails to boot ,it shows Apple Logo only and shut down no idea what the problem , so I keep on the latest version shared here 4920 . 

2- the Sound output doesn't change automatically when 3.5 mm plugged in , with googling I understood this has to do with AppleALC patching i'm not sure .

3- the laptop doesn't always sleep with closing Lid or it sleeps and wakes up immediately , I wonder if USB wifi is the reason ?

I did order BCM94360CS2 card and its adapter maybe this issue would be solved after replacement.

Away from that I guess the device is doing great on Mojave ! i'm glad that I could use it for everyday stuff and my studying 

anyone has faced those troubles or has suggestions - solutions ? would be thankful !