ACDindia

[HELP] MSI GV62-7RE Laptop| Installation: Boots only with invalid GPU FakeID

18 posts in this topic

Dear All,

I followed the Olarila (MaLd0N's) guide and made the Mojave USB.

I had to install the system using an invalid GPU FakeID (0x12345678) to get past the KP.

Even after installation, my system going into KP if I don't use this invalid fakeid.

With the FakeID, my system reports 7mb VRAM with Intel HD630.

I am using the DSDT from my 10.13 installation.

Used:

Whatevergreen.kext

Tried putting different FakeIDs

Put the Whatevergreen and Lilu in /Library/Extensions

Tried without Whatevergreen. The same setup used to work with 10.13.

My Laptop details are in my signature.

This is the link to the last time MaLd0N helped me get 10.13 working: https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/332021-msi-gv62-7re-1013-installation/

Please help anyone.

Thanking you

Advertisement

Hey! Thanks for the response Hervé!

I was reading the whatevergreen article... it asked to not inject Intel ?

I think I tried the MacBookPro14,3 ID...

I will give it a try again... will revert back...

1 hour ago, Hervé said:

I guess you'll need to apply the necessary DVMT changes/patches that apply to HD630 graphics.

I think the “Whatevergreen.kext” does include all those fixes? Is there something that I should be doing to enable the same ??

On 8/17/2018 at 7:53 AM, ACDindia said:

I think the “Whatevergreen.kext” does include all those fixes? Is there something that I should be doing to enable the same ??

Go to bios menu and set DVMT or Intel GPU minimum allocated memory setting to 64mb. 

Edited by Gigamaxx

11 hours ago, Gigamaxx said:

Go to bios menu and set DVMT or Intel GPU minimum allocated memory setting to 64mb. 

Hey! Thanks for the response mate!

There isn’t any option in my BIOS which says anything about DVMT it minimum allocated memory.

I checked Windows and saw that the minimum memory given is 128 MB already.

I’ve read somewhere that we should reduce 32MB from what windows shows and it’s then the minimum allocated memory.

i think it’s alright ?

rectify me if I’m wrong..

thanks again!!

36 minutes ago, ACDindia said:

Hey! Thanks for the response mate!

There isn’t any option in my BIOS which says anything about DVMT it minimum allocated memory.

I checked Windows and saw that the minimum memory given is 128 MB already.

I’ve read somewhere that we should reduce 32MB from what windows shows and it’s then the minimum allocated memory.

i think it’s alright ?

rectify me if I’m wrong..

thanks again!!

A lot of laptops come with 32mb min and that is a problem for MacOS it needs 64mb to function well.    Search for “min stolen size patch”.    It’s a fix for laptops that don’t have bios that allows 64mb settings.

I had a look at the MSI GV62-7RE BIOS (E16J9IMS.324) and it is indeed set to 32 DVMT pre-alloc.

We don't really recommend you use the "min stolen size patch" anymore. You should patch framebuffer-stolenmem / framebuffer-fbmem instead.

The other alternative (which is a bit more risky) is to follow this guide. Make sure you have the same BIOS flashed on your machine! Do this at your own risk!

1. Download the BIOS for your machine. If it's an .exe file you may be able to use 7zip to open it and extract the BIOS file. Eg. E16J9IMS.324
2. Download UEFITool and open the file
3. You need to find the PE32 section. To do this search for "Setup" and double click on a result that includes PE32. Right click on the PE32 section and select "Extract Body" to your desktop and call it Setup.bin
4. Download Universal-IFR-Extractor or Universal IFR Extractor.exe
5. Run "./ifrextract Setup.bin Setup.txt" using ifrextract or run Universal IFR Extractor.exe to extract Setup.bin
6. You can now use this text file to get the variable offsets for different settings
7. Download the modified GRUB Shell and extract bootx64.efi to a folder on your boot EFI partition (Eg. EFI/GRUB/bootx64.efi)
8. Boot into Clover and select "Start UEFI Shell 64" option
9. Run the following commands (assuming fs0: is your boot volume)

fs0:
.\EFI\GRUB\bootx64.efi

10. Now it should launch GRUB Shell and you can set the values found in the txt file earlier
Eg. To set DVMT-prealloc to 64 MB for E16J9IMS.324 BIOS enter:

setup_var 0x798 0x2

WARNING: variable offsets are unique not only to each motherboard but even to its firmware version. Never ever try to use an offset without checking.

Edited by headkaze

2 hours ago, headkaze said:

I had a look at the MSI GV62-7RE BIOS (E16J9IMS.324) and it is indeed set to 32 DVMT pre-alloc.

We don't really recommend you use the "min stolen size patch" anymore. You should patch framebuffer-stolenmem / framebuffer-fbmem instead.

The other alternative (which is a bit more risky) is to follow this guide. Make sure you have the same BIOS flashed on your machine! Do this at your own risk!

1. Download the BIOS for your machine. If it's an .exe file you may be able to use 7zip to open it and extract the BIOS file. Eg. E16J9IMS.324
3. You need to find the PE32 section. To do this search for "Setup" and double click on a result that includes PE32. Right click on the PE32 section and select "Extract Body" to your desktop and call it Setup.bin
5. Run "./ifrextract Setup.bin Setup.txt" using ifrextract or run Universal IFR Extractor.exe to extract Setup.bin
6. You can now use this text file to get the variable offsets for different settings
7. Download the modified GRUB Shell and extract bootx64.efi to a folder on your boot EFI partition (Eg. EFI/GRUB/bootx64.efi)

fs0:
.\EFI\GRUB\bootx64.efi

10. Now it should launch GRUB Shell and you can set the values found in the txt file earlier

setup_var 0x798 0x2

WARNING: variable offsets are unique not only to each motherboard but even to its firmware version. Never ever try to use an offset without checking.

I’ll give this a try... thank you so much for the effort..

I’ll report back..

5 hours ago, headkaze said:

fs0:
.\EFI\GRUB\bootx64.efi

setup_var 0x798 0x2

Thank you!

I verified and successfully edited the lines as suggested and now the system boots fine.

Only that my old DSDT won't work anymore.

No HDMI Display.

Any solution to that ?

Thanks a ton man!

On 8/20/2018 at 4:00 PM, headkaze said:

fs0:
.\EFI\GRUB\bootx64.efi

setup_var 0x798 0x2

Hey! So I tried it... inserted the required data but still don’t have any HDMI output... please help...

also, how to get the battery status ?

thank you!

On 8/20/2018 at 6:41 PM, headkaze said:

Check out this guide

Hey! Please guide me a bit more on this.. Couldn't get it fixed.

My entries are in the attached picture.

1430967450_Screenshot2018-08-22at4_04_42AM.thumb.png.e86dd23bccac335b67eaf72f9c82fed4.png

System boots fine and I even have 2GB of VRAM.

Still, no HDMI :( :'(

PLEASE HELP......

Thank you!!

So I compiled a new Whatevergreen.kext with New Lily (Debug) and used it. This time when I plugged in my HDMI, the system restarted...

I’ve figured out one thing:

by mistake my InjectIntel was ticked as yes. And that was giving me a crash.

I’ve unchecked the same and now I’m back to just nothing...

when I connect the HDMI, nothing happens.

I tried going to Settings>Display and then tried doing “Detect Display” and still got nothing..

please, can someone help me ?

1 hour ago, ACDindia said:

when I connect the HDMI, nothing happens.

If your HDMI port is connected to your eGPU you may not be able to use it. Maybe try the mDP with an adapter instead?

Also you should not set framebuffer-fbmem / framebuffer-unifiedmem as you have already set your DVMT-prealloc.