Solved)Nvidia GPUs instantly crash computer when playing certain HTML5 content

3 posts in this topic

This is an issue I've had for years. I've managed to live with it by avoiding sites with these elements, but I'd like to hear what you guys have to say.

Currently using ROG Maximus VII Gene with an 4790K and 32GB RAM, but that doesn't really seem to matter much since it also occurred when the build was a Gigabyte board, 4770K and 16GB RAM, or my other build which is an i3 with 8GB RAM. It also occurs in multiple generations of Nvidia GPUs and on both vanilla and web drivers, stretching back to at least 2015 IIRC. It happened when I was on a GTX 770 with vanilla and web, and currently 1070 with web. Since it doesn't happen when the computer is on Intel graphics, I'm almost certain it's an Nvidia thing.

What happens is when I visit a website with some HTML5 video playback, the entire computer instantly freezes. Literally instantly. It doesn't leave logs, it doesn't show a KP, nothing. It's not just the video output either; when this occurs all remote connections (SSH, VNC etc.) fails to get a response, showing the system has crashed.

The two websites that come to mind that does this is NYT and Twitter. It's especially terrible on Twitter since it autoplays videos by default.

The GPUs aren't crashing due to stress. They do games and rendering without a hitch.

What do you guys think? Is there a way to fix this (or at least get a hint as to what's going on)?

Edited by shrieken213

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/4/2018 at 1:33 AM, Slice said:

Try to use Shiki.kext. Looks like similar behaviour.

You are a lifesaver. Works like a charm.

Using the latest version of Lilu and WhateverGreen (supersedes Shiki.kext) without any flags or configuration. Installed through Clover kext injection.

The following web page has the problematic element that I tested against (the video playback): Here

As Hervé also mentioned, this is probably an issue with buggy hardware acceleration.

Edited by shrieken213