Strange boot behavior with SSD

1 post in this topic

I must be missing something...

At first, I thought I had the issue in this thread 

but my problem seems to be different.

What worked

I have my main boot drive as an M.2 Samsung EVO 960 with 10.13.6. All good.

On a (mechanical) Seagate HDD (Backup Plus SRD00F1) on USB 3.0, I have a bootable clone of the EVO. I can select the Seagate drive in the BIOS, I see in Clover, and I can boot from it just as I do with the EVO.

The problem

I got a Crucial MX300 SATA III SSD drive (CR1050MX300S) and cloned the EVO to it in the same way as I clone the HDD. The SSD was mounted in an inateck USB-C enclosure and it shows up in the Finder. Disk Utility shows it as an ASMT 2235 Media drive. All good.

This drive does not show up in the BIOS. Tried both on-board USB-C and TB3 on Alpine Ridge card (Alpine Ridge works fine, but drive won't show).

EDIT: SSD drive started showing when connected to Alpine Ridge via USB-C. Doesn't seem consistent. When it shows, the drive boots into MacOS (but still not if in the USB 3.0 enclosure), but not all screens activate. EFI on SSD is a clone of EFI on HDD.

I tried to format the drive as APFS and MacOS Extended, but that didn't change anything. I updated the apfs.efi file in Clover and added the apfsdriver as well. No change.

I then put the drive (MacOS Extended) in a USB 3.0 enclosure. It now shows up in BIOS, but about half-way through boot, the interdiction symbol appears (-v shows last output is Legacy Shim 2).

Conclusion and Question

My internal SSD works fine, my external HDD works fine, but I can't seem to get an external SSD to boot. Any ideas/suggestions as to where to look for a guide?

Thanks.

Edited by outdoormagic