Dual Xeon setup, cannot boot after successful installation

Mercyful_Fate

2 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I hope I can get some help from the community, after a few days of frustration dealing with this issue.

I've searched the possible solutions online, but no luck so far. Truth is I've been out of the game for a few years, so maybe I'm missing something obvious.

First things first, my hardware:

CPU: Dual Xeon E5420

Mobo: Super Micro X7DCL-i (detailed specs: http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon1333/5100/X7DCL-i.cfm )

Hard Drive: Sandisk SSD (Sata obviously)

BIOS: Phoenix BIOS (two Sata modes, Enhanced-AHCI and Compatible).

The BIOS Sata option has two modes, Enhanced (with AHCI) and Compatible. I do the installation in Enhanced and, as I'll explain later, the nature of the problem changes when I switch form Enhanced to Compatible.

From my motherboard manual:

Select Compatible to allow the SATA and PATA drives to be automatically-detected and be placed in the Legacy Mode by the BIOS. Select Enhanced to allow the SATA and PATA drives to be to be automatically-detected and be placed in the Native IDE Mode.

When the SATA Controller Mode is set to "Enhanced", the following items will display:

SATA AHCI Enable

Select Enable to enable the function of Serial ATA Advanced Host Interface. (Take caution when using this function. This feature is for advanced programmers only.The options are Enabled and Disabled.)

I followed this guide, and I repeated the process at least 3 times, so I think there are no errors from my side: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/#####-install-macos-sierra-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.200564/

The problem: Even though I've completed the installation successfully, including the final step of installing Clover Legacy Boot Mode from M00lti-Beast, when I reboot the system (without the installation USB plugged in) I get the "No operating system found" error. At this time, BIOS Sata mode is set to Enhanced. If I switch to Compatible, I get the Clover boot screen. After choosing "boot to Sierra", the system starts loading till it gets stuck to the "Still waiting for root device" line. The screen with the error is all garbled up (attached pictures).

IMG_8064.thumb.jpeg.7a05b9d1101f77f62264d2ba56af05a7.jpeg

IMG_8065.thumb.jpeg.88b6f0e8a5c5edbe74a4df7ea2b116b8.jpeg

Let me note here that the SATA controller of my motherboard is the ICH9R. 

What I can't explain is the fact that the installation USB drive has no problem recognizing the SATA controller. Not only did the installation complete without any hiccups, but I can boot the Sierra if I use the installation USB as a boot device. What is different between the USB drive and the hard drive???

For your convenience, I have attached the config.plist from the EFI partition of the hard drive. 

I would really appreciate any help and suggestions, since I've very curious to setup this system (Dual Xeon + 32GB RAM) and see how it compares to more modern Macs.

thanks,

Alex

config.plist

Edited by Mercyful_Fate

That's your response? 

As I said, I haven't set up an osx86 system in years, which means that I just googled "osx86 install Sierra". Their guide came up, I followed it. As simple as that. I came here for support, because I've been a member of the forum since they days when I was still setting up osx86 systems. Are you willing to help me out, or do you prefer to see a user leave because he happened to stumble upon a feud that he's not even aware of? 

Edited by Mercyful_Fate