Intel Framebuffer patching using WhateverGreen

headkaze
486 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, headkaze said:

Yes the name is just incidental now.

Working fine on my laptop with latest Lilu + AppleALC + WhatEverGreen - IntelGraphicsFixUp.

Edit:

Working fine on my desktop with latest Lilu + AppleALC + WhatEverGreen - IntelGraphicsFixUp - NvidiaGraphicsFixUp.

Built from source

Archive.zip

Edited by SavageAUS

On 7/17/2018 at 11:04 PM, headkaze said:

The output will be in /AppleIntelFramebuffer_GEN_KERNX_Y.

Sorry for the noob question but can you give a bit more details on Where do i find the output of this ?.

On 7/20/2018 at 2:42 AM, verdazil said:

How to determine which patches are needed and which are not needed? It is unclear how to begin.

Most people don't need to patch framebuffers manually. The most common patch required is DP->HDMI connector conversion for audio which is already done in WhateverGreen automatically.

Personally I need to disable connector 3 otherwise my machine can't sleep. Some people need to patch stolenmem / fbmem to match the DVMT-prealloc in their BIOS. There are different reasons for framebuffer patching but you may not need it.

Edited by headkaze
  • Like 3

whatevergreen complains about unknown format during boot. patcher tool shows 515 mobile when it's 530 GT2 desktop. got a very long patch, inserted into config.plist but the jitter remains. ideas?

6 minutes ago, zeg66 said:

whatevergreen complains about unknown format during boot. patcher tool shows 515 mobile when it's 530 GT2 desktop. got a very long patch, inserted into config.plist but the jitter remains. ideas?

Please download the latest Lilu + WhateverGreen. If you don't know why you're patching framebuffers then best you don't.

using the latest ones. whatever debug version so -igfxdump boot flag produces the appropirate file. patching because of crazy jitter. if left alone without patching jitter is the same, no change. other options?

22 minutes ago, zeg66 said:

using the latest ones. whatever debug version so -igfxdump boot flag produces the appropirate file. patching because of crazy jitter. if left alone without patching jitter is the same, no change. other options?

Show me your WhateverGreen log and your Clover config.plist/Devices/Properties patch.

I don't think you're using the latest versions of Lilu + WhateverGreen. You need to download them both and compile then copy Lilu.kext debug version into WhateverGreen and compile it. The "unknown format" bug was only fixed today.

Edited by headkaze

18 minutes ago, zeg66 said:

that is definitely NOT what I've done. thank you for your help. perhaps the jitter problem will be solved in an upcoming 'release' version?

You never actually told me what you're trying to patch. Intel FB-Patcher is only a tool to help you create a patch. You have to do the work to figure out what patch you need for your system. For example do you know the DVMT-prealloc value for your BIOS? If it's 32MB then you should set stolenmem/fbmem to something like in the example.

In general framebuffer patching is not necessary because WhateverGreen takes care of most issues automatically. I do not recommend patching framebuffers unless you know why you're doing so. Also you should only patch the values you need to not everything Intel FB-Patcher outputs.

dvmt is set to 128MB, anything smaller and it doesn't even boot. HS works fine with the iGPU but Mojave has a lot of jitter, can't really "work" at all, so I thought using your method here might cure it. I was obviously wrong, that's fine.

23 hours ago, headkaze said:

Most people don't need to patch framebuffers manually. The most common patch required is DP->HDMI connector conversion for audio which is already done in WhateverGreen automatically.

Personally I need to disable connector 3 otherwise my machine can't sleep. Some people need to patch stolenmem / fbmem to match the DVMT-prealloc in their BIOS. There are different reasons for framebuffer patching but you may not need it. 

You are completely right! I compiled the latest kexts versions (Lilu.kext, v1.2.6 and WhateverGreen.kext, v1.2.1) and it all worked automatically.

Can we use FB patcher to patch changing ports in kblframebuffer? Say if I wanted to change LVDS to eDP in 0x59160000? Im not exactly sure of what data to input into the app.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, khoahoc0508 said:

When i try import debug framebuffer i get that error. How to solve that?

Can you please zip and attach the file here.

4 hours ago, tikizondo94 said:

Can we use FB patcher to patch changing ports in kblframebuffer? Say if I wanted to change LVDS to eDP in 0x59160000? Im not exactly sure of what data to input into the app.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

You can change the connector type but eDP is the same as LVDS so it should not be necessary. Here are the connector types:

Zero       = 0x0
Dummy      = 0x1 ; Always used as dummy, seems to sometimes work as VGA
LVDS       = 0x2 ; Just like on AMD LVDS is used for eDP
DigitalDVI = 0x4 ; This is not eDP despite a common misbelief
SVID       = 0x8
VGA        = 0x10
DP         = 0x400
HDMI       = 0x800
AnalogDVI  = 0x2000

Edited by headkaze
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, tikizondo94 said:

I was told elsewhere the eDP support on the hd620 "0x59160000" on 10.13.6/10.14 was not supported. I'm hoping that info was not correct lol. 

One way you might get around it is to turn off the CNConnectorAlwaysConnected flag. Then it will treat your screen as an external. Only downside is you wont have brightness control.

Patch looks like this:

<key>framebuffer-patch-enable</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>framebuffer-con0-enable</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>framebuffer-con0-flags</key>
<integer>0x00000090</integer>
Edited by headkaze