224 posts in this topic

NOVPAJPEG.kext worked flawlessly, question is, how future proof is it? Could it break something in the future with mac os updates?

Edited by blu ray

Advertisement
On 10/29/2018 at 10:37 AM, blu ray said:

NOVPAJPEG.kext worked flawlessly, question is, how future proof is it? Could it break something in the future with mac os updates?

Personally, I don't think so. I don't think it will break anything. Worst case scenario, it might stop working at some point. But that will probably be fixed with an update. I guess we'll have to wait and see. :) And if that fails, you'll always have one of the other options to fix this issue. So, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Personally, I'm not using it. I tried it. For some reason it didn't work for me. Changing the SMBIOS or activating the iGPU in BIOS did the trick though. So, as I said, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Edited by arsradu

On 9/28/2018 at 10:26 AM, Cyberdevs said:

can you please update your signature with the details of your hardware specs?

done.

Hello

I wanted to share my results, as I was reading this forum post for having the same issue with Finder now previewing any Jpeg files.

i disabled the integrated intel graphics in my bios to resolve the issue.

Quick and easy solution id have to admit ;-)

1 hour ago, Ddewit said:

Hello

I wanted to share my results, as I was reading this forum post for having the same issue with Finder now previewing any Jpeg files.

i disabled the integrated intel graphics in my bios to resolve the issue.

Quick and easy solution id have to admit ;-)

That might be quick and easy for you. :) But it's definitely not a solution for everyone.

What's your SMBIOS? Some of them (such as MacPro5, MacPro6, iMacPro) do work without an iGPU. But whether or not it's enabled in BIOS, should not affect anything, since in many cases, the iGPU is not even recognised. :)) Still, I'm curious to know what's your current SMBIOS.

Hi i'm having the same problems. Quicklook / Preview won't open jpeg/jpg files. I've added NOVPAJPEG.kext I tried changing the SMBIOS nothing worked for me. Do I need to do something special for the kext to work?

1 hour ago, bogascorp said:

Hi i'm having the same problems. Quicklook / Preview won't open jpeg/jpg files. I've added NOVPAJPEG.kext I tried changing the SMBIOS nothing worked for me. Do I need to do something special for the kext to work?

Well, you've got multiple options. And your setup is actually very similar to mine. So I guess I have some experience with that.

Let's start with: which SMBIOS are you currently using?

If you went for iMac14,2 for example or even iMac18,3 make sure the iGPU is enabled in BIOS (you can easily enable it by going under dual-monitor and enabling that option). Add 64MB for the iGPU and that's all. Make sure you use WhateverGreen.kext so your computer doesn't freeze on certain websites.

Alternatively, you can simply use a MacPro5 or MacPro6,1 SMBIOS and you won't have to worry about the iGPU anymore, since those don't have iGPUs in the first place.

So, if you're going the SMBIOS route, make sure you either enable the iGPU in BIOS and use WEG, or use an SMBIOS like the ones for Mac Pro or iMac Pro which don't require you to enable the iGPU.

I actually tried the NoVPAJpeg kext myself and just like you, it didn't do anything for me. Maybe I missed something, maybe there are other reasons why it didn't work. I didn't have the time to investigate that. But personally, I already have at least 2 other methods to get this to work. :) And I already described them for you above.

Edited by arsradu

I can't find iGPU in BIOS. In Graphics it only allows me to choose between IGD or PEG

Below I can specify shared memory and IGD Multi-Monitor. Similar to the screenshot.

Screenshot 2018-11-05 at 16.22.57.jpg

4 hours ago, bogascorp said:

I can't find iGPU in BIOS. In Graphics it only allows me to choose between IGD or PEG

Below I can specify shared memory and IGD Multi-Monitor. Similar to the screenshot.

Screenshot 2018-11-05 at 16.22.57.jpg

Yeah, I was suggesting trying to set IGD Multi-monitor to Enabled.

4 hours ago, bogascorp said:

@arsradu It worked :D

I changed to MacPro6,1 in SMBIOS and it's working the preview. Hurray. Thank you so much.

Glad to hear that. :)

23 minutes ago, bogascorp said:

@arsradu Another question. When you put the computer to sleep, did you ever lose sound after waking?

That is not related to this topic. Depending on what method are you using for sound (hopefully Lilu + AppleALC), you can try different Layout IDs. :) Some of them have EAPD enabled and you shouldn't lose sound after sleep. Alternatively, you can get CodecCommander.kext, put it in S/L/E (doesn't work from Clover/kexts/Other) and it should have the same effect. I personally had issues with it under Mojave, so I chose one of the other Layouts in order to fix this issue.

Now, unfortunately, your motherboard uses a different codec than mine, so I can't suggest the same Layout ID that worked for me. But what I can suggest is taking a look at the list of supported codecs from here and trying a different one than the one you currently have. Your codec is ALC 887, so choose one of these Layout IDs: 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 18, 33, 50, 99

Also, select ResetHDA in your Clover config. Might help with that.

315520144_Screenshot2018-11-05at22_49_25.png.0addb24e8e8d61e05ff60207bb4a9dac.png

For more information on AppleALC, here's the official thread: 

Also, in case you want to discuss the flashing during boot issue which you probably have with that RX 580 (if you don't, I would be VERY interested to know more details), feel free to share your experiences here: 

You're definitely not the only one with that issue.

If I can help you with anything else related to this topic, please, let me know.

Also, while we're at it, I would recommend using the Edit feature when you want to add something and nobody else replied to you. Otherwise you will create a lot of different posts, which may look a bit spammy. :) Just a suggestion.

And welcome to the forum! :)

Cheers!

Edited by arsradu

Hi there!

I have RX570 and SMBIOS iMac 18.3.

Also got problem with Preview app. Tried to enable iGPU: Preview start working but audio(alc887) stops :). Using NoVPAJpeg also help with Preview but hackintosh boots good only in verbose mode. Without verbose it reboot automatically when gpu drivers are loading during boot process. Sometimes it can boot successfully in second attempt. 

Does anybody know the solution of problems above? 

Hi there!
Also got problem with Preview app. Tried to enable iGPU: Preview start working but audio(alc887) stops :). Using NoVPAJpeg also help with Preview but hackintosh boots good only in verbose mode. Without verbose it reboot automatically when gpu drivers are loading during boot process. Sometimes it can boot successfully in second attempt. 

Are you using VirtualSMC? If so go back to FakeSMC + NoVPAJpeg, if not enable IGPU and work out audio issue. Latest kexts? Correct layout? Tried different ones?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, nayzebo said:

Hi there!

Not sure they're related. But if you feel like they are, just enable the iGPU in BIOS, use WhateverGreen and remove NoVpaJpeg kext. Or, use a MacPro/iMacPro SMBIOS to fix the Preview issue and you won't need NoVPGAJpeg in the first place.

I cannot speak for the automatic reboots. If you don't have that already enabled, you should probably try enabling KernelPM in Kernel & Kext Patches of your Clover config.

1 hour ago, freearcher said:

My display card is RX560, which SMBIOS I should choice? anyone have idear?

You can use the MacPro/iMacPro SMBIOS, as I suggested above.

Also, it would be nice to know what other hardware components do you have. So I would recommend adding that information to your signature. :)

Thanks everyone!

On 11/7/2018 at 8:41 AM, SavageAUS said:

Are you using VirtualSMC? If so go back to FakeSMC + NoVPAJpeg, if not enable IGPU and work out audio issue. Latest kexts? Correct layout? Tried different ones?

I use FakeSMC. All kexts are of the latest versions. 

On 11/7/2018 at 8:42 AM, arsradu said:

Not sure they're related. But if you feel like they are, just enable the iGPU in BIOS, use WhateverGreen and remove NoVpaJpeg kext. Or, use a MacPro/iMacPro SMBIOS to fix the Preview issue and you won't need NoVPGAJpeg in the first place.

I cannot speak for the automatic reboots. If you don't have that already enabled, you should probably try enabling KernelPM in Kernel & Kext Patches of your Clover config.

I didn't fix the problem with audio with enabled iGPU. Tried all supported layouts.

Finally, I use NoVPAJpeg.kext with enabled InjectATI flag in config (before used RedeonDeinit only). It fixed auto reboots during boot process and Preview app works fine.

On 11/7/2018 at 12:01 PM, arsradu said:

You can use the MacPro/iMacPro SMBIOS, as I suggested above.

Also, it would be nice to know what other hardware components do you have. So I would recommend adding that information to your signature. :)

thank you so much! MacPro SMBIOS is work for me!

By the way, 10.14.1 usb 3.0 is not working, how can I do?

27 minutes ago, freearcher said:

thank you so much! MacPro SMBIOS is work for me!

By the way, 10.14.1 usb 3.0 is not working, how can I do?

The USB port limit patch issue is off-topic but here's the new patch for your USB ports:

Name: com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBXHCI

Find: 83FB0F0F 838F0400 00

Replace: 83FB0F90 90909090 90

If you have more questions about the USB ports you can post them here:

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/336241-macos-mojave-10141-is-out/

Well, you've got multiple options. And your setup is actually very similar to mine. So I guess I have some experience with that.

Let's start with: which SMBIOS are you currently using?
If you went for iMac14,2 for example or even iMac18,3 make sure the iGPU is enabled in BIOS (you can easily enable it by going under dual-monitor and enabling that option). Add 64MB for the iGPU and that's all. Make sure you use WhateverGreen.kext so your computer doesn't freeze on certain websites.

Alternatively, you can simply use a MacPro5 or MacPro6,1 SMBIOS and you won't have to worry about the iGPU anymore, since those don't have iGPUs in the first place.

So, if you're going the SMBIOS route, make sure you either enable the iGPU in BIOS and use WEG, or use an SMBIOS like the ones for Mac Pro or iMac Pro which don't require you to enable the iGPU.

I actually tried the NoVPAJpeg kext myself and just like you, it didn't do anything for me. Maybe I missed something, maybe there are other reasons why it didn't work. I didn't have the time to investigate that. But personally, I already have at least 2 other methods to get this to work.  And I already described them for you above.
OP thanks for your help!

I'm trying to go with the SMBIOS route, since I'm on i7 2600 non k with GT640

I chose Mac Pro 5.1 but I can't boot as I'm stuck at com.apple.driver.AppleTyMCEDriver kernel panic. I googled and it said I have no ECC RAM. How can I get past this KP?

Or can I still get offline VDA from my i7 2600? VDA works in High Sierra.

3 hours ago, stanleylhs said:

OP thanks for your help!

I'm trying to go with the SMBIOS route, since I'm on i7 2600 non k with GT640

I chose Mac Pro 5.1 but I can't boot as I'm stuck at com.apple.driver.AppleTyMCEDriver kernel panic. I googled and it said I have no ECC RAM. How can I get past this KP?

Or can I still get offline VDA from my i7 2600? VDA works in High Sierra.

Maybe try MacPro3,1 instead?

4 hours ago, stanleylhs said:

stuck at com.apple.driver.AppleTyMCEDriver kernel panic.

patch it in clover or flag it with -nehalem_error_disable

Edited by ellaosx