3com 3c905b?

jessem

12 posts in this topic

Anyone have one of these cards working? For some reason i cant seem to get OSX to detect it. I saw the kext in IONetworkingFamily, and the kext is loaded but nothing shows up in networking manager or system profiler.

Is there a trick to setting these up? Works fine in windows XP btw...

In OSX Im running 10.4.8, asus A8N-VM motherboard

An older IONetworkingFamily.kext might fix it. You can get one using Pacifist and any Intel OSX Combo update from Apple. Or insert your install DVD and let it mount on the Desktop. Then use Pacifist to open Essentials.pkg at /System/Installation/Packages on the DVD.

Hi,

You have one that shows this text?

3C905B-TX NM

Fast Etherlink

XL PCI 1

Chip: 3Com 40-0483-004

0044T 39261437

Lucent 40-04834

I haven't been able to get it to run.

A 3C905-TX works flawlessly though.

Cat_7

mine is the 905B-TX. at work now, ill post device id's and any more info when i get home. On my list of things to try...

Older kexts from 10.4.3

Moving PCI Slot

Adding Device ID to the kext...

will post results but im not holding my breath...

device id is 9055. Not sure about the rest of the stuff you posted, windows detects it as a 3com 3c905b-tx ethernet XL 10/100. I tried older kexts didnt work, tried the dev id didnt work (but i may have put it in wrong), so i put the oldest ones i could find (10.4.5 update) and switched slots. I get errors in that kext when it boots so it definately detects the card and wants to load the kexts it just cant.

Heres what it says (typing so may be some spelling errors)

com.apple.driver.Aple3Com3C90x isn't a valid mach-o

error mapping module file com.apple.driver.Apple3Com3C90x

cant map com.apple.driver.Apple3Com3c90x in preperation for loading

Can't determine dependencies for com.apple.driver.Apple3Com3c90x

Couldn't alloc class "Apple3Com3C90x"

Couldn't alloc class "Apple3Com3C90xB"

any ideas?

got it working :dance_24: The issue was the pci slot, I guess the driver i put in there wasnt good either, once i put a copy from my 10.4.7 install, reset the kext cache and rebooted it worked. Only one downside, this apparently means i can only use one pci slot in OSX, and i need the other one for my firewire card which runs my audio interface, which means i can either have the internet or audio. Kind of a bitter sweet result unfortunately. Not to change the subject, but anyone heard of pci slots not showing up for OSX? or know how to fix this?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Well, the Vendor ID is 10b7 and the Card ID is 9055 or I think I saw somewhere that 9054 is an option as well, if that helps anybody.

I added both to the info.plist under the 3C905xB (<key>PCI 3C90xB</key>).

<string>0x900010b7&0xf000ffff 0x920010b7 0x905510b7 0x905410b7</string>

/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/Apple3com3C90x.kext/Contents/

and I chowned and chmodded it. I tried to load it but the system responded that it was already loaded. Unloading it fails. I deleted /System/Library/Extensions.* and repaired permissions and rebooted, but that didn't do it either.

Any ideas? That's where I'm at.

• 3 months later...

Since my onboard nic doesn't function properly I went through my old hardware pile and found this card. I use 10.5.1 and am using 10.4 IONetworking.kext for my time machine. I was wondering if someone could send me their working IONetworking.Kext from 10.4.x or any information on how they got it working in 10.5

The odd thing is the card IS detected and configured automatically. However when ever I try to set it to DHCP it assigns its own private network. Port is UP/Down, and it is making electrical and partial layer 2 connection.

hmm... didnt work.

skgeosx::start(ethernet) <1>
skgeosx: SKGE for OSx86 v0.2e ---- M.Musashi (c)2007
skgeosx: VendorID:10b7 DeviceID:9055 Rev:64
skgeosx ERR: unsupported chip type 0x10
skgeosx ERR: board reset failed
skgeosx: Stopped!
skgeosx::start(ethernet) <4> failed
skgeosx::probe(ethernet)
skgeosx::start(ethernet) <1>
skgeosx: SKGE for OSx86 v0.2e ---- M.Musashi (c)2007
skgeosx: VendorID:10b7 DeviceID:9055 Rev:64