Installing to a usb hdd

banz

5 posts in this topic

Hi I've downloaded 10.4.8 JaS and install it to the usb hdd. All the drivers is fine, got all the sound, network drivers working.

But one problem i can't get it to boot unless the JaS DVD is in. I'm sure my bios can boot usb. I got a xp on usb and dos on usb. They both booted up fine.

I'll need to wait for the 8 seconds until it boots the usb hdd. Any advice what to do? Tried googling to install darwin bootloader but nothing can be found. Most of them is for installing the whole darwin.

Thanks.

edit: btw all i wanted was to clone my disk to a bootable usb, but i couldn't do it with rsync / carbon copy cloner / disk utility. So instead I just install it directly do hdd..

There were two JaS 10.4.8 DVD's published. The first had a bad Disk Utility and also got corrupted so was pulled. But other idiots posted it anyway. Be sure you got the JaS 10.4.8 Intel SSE3 Only Reseed posted Nov. 3, 2006.

For best results installing OSX as the only OS on a hard drive, use a Windows/Linux disk/partition utility to format the whole hard drive as FAT32. Then during the installation, go to Disk Utility and format the primary partition (displayed below the hard drive) as MacOS Extended Journaled. But if you have the bad 10.4.8 DVD, Disk Utility will screw up your boot sectors. In that case, use an older OSX DVD to format the primary partition, then boot the 10.4.8 DVD and complete the installation.

After installation, add the Timeout parameter to boot.plist to display the Darwin bootloader menu.

hmm i definitly haven't download the reseed one. but my corrupted one seems fine ^^ i got no problems with it whatsoever and also it passed the dvd verification.

everything seems to be working fine. i even updated the kernel with the new semthex.

and when i install on the internal SATA disk it runs fine. i dont need the dvd. only need the dvd on the usb hdd :compress: i format the usb hdd with the paretition scheme: Master boot record just like the sata disk. but still doesnt like to boot up. i checked and the partition is fine it starts with af.

i will download the reseed one now.