HS Installation Problem with X58 & Radeon 7770

51 posts in this topic

Hello,

Long time lurker, first time poster.  This is my first Hackintosh and so far it has been going well.  I've currently got the latest version of El Capitan running successfully, but I'm having trouble upgrading from El Capitan to High Sierra. I can create the install key and the installer will begin to boot (I see the Apple logo with the progress bar), but once the bar reaches a little over halfway the screen will flash (I think it turns gray briefly) then I get nothing but a black screen.  I believe this is where the installation instructions would show up, but I've waited for 10 or so minutes and nothing ever happens.

My hardware is an EVGA X58 SLI LE and my video card is a Radeon 7770. I've been using MacPro5,1 as my system definition and I have the latest WhateverGreen and Lilu kexts along with the associated boot arguments (radpg=15 -lilubetaall), but no luck. I also tried the RadeonDeInit argument but that also did not help. Any ideas on what the problem could be? I've attached my plist file if anyone wants to take a look at it.  I'm thinking that the problem is related to my 7770 card, but that's just a guess at this point.  I'm currently using the DVI port, but I did try the HDMI port as well but I still only see a black screen.

config.plist

Hi there and welcome to InasanelyMac.com :)

If you please update your signature with the hardware specs that you are using it would make matter easier for future reference and people can help you easier based on the details you provide ;)

RadeonDeInit needs Clover revision 4296 and newer to work. If you are using any revision prior to 4296 it simply won't work.

Make sure that you have the latest version of clover installed.

Having an updated clover is also recommended for successful detection and of the High Sierra Installers as well and it's better to use macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 or newer which has the support for many AMD GPUs OOB (Almost)

So

1. Update the Clover

2. Update the kexts that you are using. Specially the FakeSMC.kext

3. You don't need to use -lilubetaal flag for macOS High Sierra because it's for unsupported versions of macOS (like Mojave which is in its beta phase at the moment)

4. There is an injection for Intel instead of ATI in the config.plist

5. If you are planning to install macOS High Sierra on a SSD drive you are going to add the apfs.efi or ApfsDriverLoader.efi in the Drivers64 folder in the /EFI/Clover/Drivers64 as well

6. Does you CPU has an integrated GPU because there is a FakeDevice ID in the IGFX section?!

Good Luck!

Thanks for the tips.

1. I'm fairly sure I'm using the latest Clover but I'll double check on that.   Should I use RadeonDeInit if I do?

2. How should I update the FakeSMC.kext?  Is there a way to do that in Clover Configurator?

3. Do I leave it out all together or use a different flag?  

4. Really?  I'll change that.  No idea how that happened.  Do I use ATI Inject for the 7770?

5. Not yet.  That's why I removed it.

6. No.  I have no idea how that got in there.

You're welcome,

if you use macOS 10.13.4 you won't be needing RadeonDeInit anyway.

You can download FakeSMC and the hardware sensors from here I also attached the latest version of the FakeSMC.kext here and no, you can't download kext with Clover Configurator you need to download them from their sources and add them to your kext folder. Use /EFI/Clover/kexts/Other folder to avoid any trouble

You don't need to use any flags.

You can try without injecting ATI and see if you can boot into macOS and if the black screen accord you can try with Inject ATI

FakeSMC.kext.zip

Ok so to summarize:

1. Update Clover

2. Replace the FakeSMC.kext with the one you linked to (the Whatevergreen and Lilu kext are up to date, do I need to keep them though?)

3. Remove the -lilubetaal boot flag (do I keep radpg=15?)

4. Remove the Intel Innject and Integrated GPU items from my plist

5. Try injecting ATI if it still doesn't work

Do I have to mess around with adding graphic card ID's (like 0x683D) under the Graphics tab in clover configurator?  What about disabling SIP?

Ok I've tried a few things but nothing worked:

1. With ATI Inject

2. Without ATI Inject

3. With RadeoDeInit

When I tried the ATI Inject I got 'no signal' instead of the black screen I've been getting so I guess that means that the black screen is actually trying to display something but can't for some reason.  Here is my current plist.

config.plist

Sorry, same result.  Just a black screen.  I'm waiting 5+ minutes, should I wait longer maybe?

BTW the last command that verbose shows is

IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3 hs 0, bs 0, sm 0x0

Not sure if that means anything or not

35 minutes ago, theprovost said:

Doing some more research it appears that this error has something to do with Nvidia cards which is odd since I have a Radeon 7770.  Now I'm even more confused.  

19 hours ago, theprovost said:

I did some research and that line (IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3 hs 0, bs 0, sm 0x0) has something to do with my graphics card.  Not sure what I can do to fix it though.

This issue is called the "black screen issue" and yes it is related to your GPU card and both AMD and nVidia GPUs can end up with the same issue.

Having SIP disabled might help but I have SIP enabled and it also work either way.

There was an old kext called verde.kext which if I remember correctly was designed for Verde GPU family I attached it and you can give it a try. I never used it myself.

You can post the EFI folder that you are currently using and I can take a look.

Verde.kext.zip

Ok good to know that I'm not the only one that has had this issue. :)

I can try and disable SIP (if it isn't already).  I think there's a way to do that in the boot menu.

https://hackintosher.com/forums/thread/enable-disable-system-integrity-protection-sip-on-a-hackintosh.53/

Yep Verde is what I'm using now to get my card to work with El Capitan, BUT I've been told that it no longer works with Sierra or High Sierra (I think I tried it and had the same problem).  I can try it again though, I mean what do I have to lose?

I'll post my EFI folder tonight.  Thank you for your help so far, I'm sure we're close here.

This is a config.plist that I have sent to another user with the same GPU as yours. The SIP is disabled in this config. Give it a try and let me know.

Just a reminder try using the HDMI port because using the DVI port has proven to be more difficult on hacks without a modified framebuffer patch and also remove the WhateverGreen.kext while testing this config, it has the InjectATI=true and it's injecting the dashimaki framebuffer for AMD 7770.

I hope we can get your GPU to work.

config-2.plist.zip

Ok I think we have progress.  I still get the black screen, BUT that long pause that used to occur before the clover screen is now gone.  Somewhere I read that if you had this pause then your graphics card wasn't being initialized properly.  It's gone now so I think we're on the right track.  

I've attached my current EFI folder.  The only change I made to the plist you sent me was to the SMBIOS which I changed to MacPro5,1 and then iMac14,2 just to try things.  I also added the boot argument to disable ECC memory check or I'd get a KP.

We're getting close now, I just know it.

EFI.zip

On 7/6/2018 at 5:50 AM, theprovost said:

Ok I think we have progress.  I still get the black screen, BUT that long pause that used to occur before the clover screen is now gone.  Somewhere I read that if you had this pause then your graphics card wasn't being initialized properly.  It's gone now so I think we're on the right track.  

I've attached my current EFI folder.  The only change I made to the plist you sent me was to the SMBIOS which I changed to MacPro5,1 and then iMac14,2 just to try things.  I also added the boot argument to disable ECC memory check or I'd get a KP.

We're getting close now, I just know it.

EFI.zip

If with InjectATI=True and the Dashimaki Framebuffer injections you are still getting the black screen try to remove them and only leave RadeonDeInit checked.

I think 7770 has more issues on a hack that I expected so I believe the best option for now is to use WhateverGreen and Lilu.

I have a 7790 which had the same issue but with whatevergreen it always works flawlessly. However it's been a while since I used that GPU but maybe the RadeonDeInit might require a newer hardware with UEFI GPUs.

Sorry that didn't work either.  I stripped out just about everything that might have not been needed, but no dice.  Is it possible my boot key could be corrupt?  I can't see how and I'd think that it would have different errors if it was, but at this point I don't know what else it could be.  I've attached my current EFI folder if you want to take a look.

Out of desperation I'm going to try my GTX 260 and see if that works.  It's not ideal since it won't work with Mojave, but if I can't even get to High Sierra Mojave won't matter.

EFI.zip

I decided to swap out my Radeon for a Nvidia GTX 260 and I got the installer to appear.  I installed HS but when I attempt to boot from the hard drive (after booting with my key) I get to a point where it says:

AppleKeyStore: Operation failed (then some random PID and debug numbers)

After a bit it will continue but then a bunch of messages scroll really fast and then it reboots.  I used my phone camera to record it and even then I can't read it very well but it looks like the problem occurs when it gets to something called NVDAStartup Official. 

I tried safe mode but that didn't help.  The only boot arguments I'm using are verbose, -nehalem_error_disable (for the ECC memory) and dart=0. Any ideas?

On a side note, when I was installing HS both times when the system rebooted during the install it hung my system.  I had to go into the BIOS and reset the settings to get it to boot again (the motherboard error was a memory error I believe).  I have no idea why that happened, but it makes me wonder. It seems ok now.

Edited by theprovost

1 hour ago, theprovost said:

I decided to swap out my Radeon for a Nvidia GTX 260 and I got the installer to appear.  I installed HS but when I attempt to boot from the hard drive (after booting with my key) I get to a point where it says:

AppleKeyStore: Operation failed (then some random PID and debug numbers)

After a bit it will continue but then a bunch of messages scroll really fast and then it reboots.  I used my phone camera to record it and even then I can't read it very well but it looks like the problem occurs when it gets to something called NVDAStartup Official. 

I tried safe mode but that didn't help.  The only boot arguments I'm using are verbose, -nehalem_error_disable (for the ECC memory) and dart=0. Any ideas?

On a side note, when I was installing HS both times when the system rebooted during the install it hung my system.  I had to go into the BIOS and reset the settings to get it to boot again (the motherboard error was a memory error I believe).  I have no idea why that happened, but it makes me wonder. It seems ok now.

To be honest I don't have much experience with nVidia GPUs but the EFI folder you posted still had some AMD related injections which I removed.

Try this and see if that makes a difference. One more thing when I was trying to install Sierra on one of my older rigs I encounter the same issue with NVDAStartup Official and I had to roll back the NVDAStartup.kext from El Capitan and it worked, I'm not sure if that's gonna still work with High Sierra as well but it's worth to try.

You need to install this kext in /System/Library/Extensions and repair the permission afterwards, use kext wizard to replace the kext from another working version of macOS and just make a backup of the original kext just in case.

NVDAStartup.kext.tar

EFI-2.zip

Edited by Cyberdevs

Yes I've read about that, but I can't access the hard drive to copy that file over.  The best I can do is boot in recovery console.  Is it possible to copy it over from there?  I have the correct file on my usb drive.

Edited by theprovost

Ok I was able to boot into High Sierra with some boot options, but the graphics are really screwed up because it thinks I'm using some sort of internal Nvidia chip.  How do repair the permissions for the NVDAStartup.kext once I copy it over to the hard drive?

• 2 weeks later...

Still haven't given up on this.  I have an idea though.  I did some research and I think I'm going to try editing the AMD7000Controller.kext and make sure my video card is listed first in the IOPCIMatch section. If this doesn't work I'm going to begin wondering if my card is cursed.

Edited by theprovost

16 minutes ago, theprovost said:

Still haven't given up on this.  I have an idea though.  I did some research and I think I'm going to try editing the AMD7000Controller.kext and make sure my video card is listed first in the IOPCIMatch section. If this doesn't work I'm going to begin wondering if my card is cursed.

The device ID should be present in AMD7000Controller.kext, however macOS High Sierra might not recognize it without rolling back the kexts from Sierra.

Try replacing the these kext from Sierra:

AMDRadeonX3000.kext

AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle

IOAccelerator2D.plugin

IOAcceleratorFamily2.kext

Repair the permission afterwards, Make sure you backup the original kexts from High Sierra before replacing it, use kext wizard to install those kexts and repair the permission.

Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 6.45.45 PM.png