existing Sierra 10.12.6, can't make visible high Sierra install disk

ezyrdr

103 posts in this topic

hello! first all, id like to say a big TY to all members here on insanelymac for making possible hackintoshes, and maldon, who's invaluable help make my mackintosh dream possible!

maldon was who prepared my efi folder in order to boot and install Sierra on Asus h97m-e csm (i5 4440 3.1 ghz, 16 gb ram @ 1600mhz)

but now that 10.13 has appeared with a new update I thought I would try out high sierra. not! I used the create install media thecnique, but after installing clover to the usb installer is not visible on my bootcamp clover bootloader.i moved the efi folder to the usb in order to make sure internet will be there and audio too. but the usb device won't show up on clovers bootloader. I have nothing to install!

im positive I made a guid partition with Mac OS journaled and that clover is there...but it won't show up on the screen. I went to uefi bios to make my usb first. and nothing!

some help anyone? I can boot normally to my Sierra install on a partition named Hackintosh, but the install disk won't be anywhere! I'm clueless!

2 hours ago, ezyrdr said:

hello! first all, id like to say a big TY to all members here on insanelymac for making possible hackintoshes, and maldon, who's invaluable help make my mackintosh dream possible!

maldon was who prepared my efi folder in order to boot and install Sierra on Asus h97m-e csm (i5 4440 3.1 ghz, 16 gb ram @ 1600mhz)

but now that 10.13 has appeared with a new update I thought I would try out high sierra. not! I used the create install media thecnique, but after installing clover to the usb installer is not visible on my bootcamp clover bootloader.i moved the efi folder to the usb in order to make sure internet will be there and audio too. but the usb device won't show up on clovers bootloader. I have nothing to install!

im positive I made a guid partition with Mac OS journaled and that clover is there...but it won't show up on the screen. I went to uefi bios to make my usb first. and nothing!

some help anyone? I can boot normally to my Sierra install on a partition named Hackintosh, but the install disk won't be anywhere! I'm clueless!

Hi there :)

What is the revision of clover that you are using? older versions of clover are not able to detect the High Sierra 10.13 correctly and you need to update the clover on the installer, another thing about High Sierra that you need to keep in mind that it will cover any SSD hard disks to APFS format in the process of the installation and you need to have APFS.efi or ApfsDriverLoader.efi in the drivers46UEFI for clover to be able to detect the APFS formatted partition.

You can post your EFI folder and I can take a look.

Edited by Cyberdevs
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, ezyrdr said:

I'm using clover 2.4 r4449 and I don't have any ssd. only one 2tb hard drive and another 3tb hard drive where I got my 10 years old data.im uploading to mega the efi folder...

Well I suggest that you disconnect the 3TB hdd just to avoid any accidental damage to your data if that's possible and once we installed macOS High Sierra successfully, you can re-pllug it.

In the meanwhile I suggest that you try another USB port on your PC and see if the clover can detect the USB disk.

As far as I know clover r4449 should be able to detect the High Sierra USB installer just fine and the issue is not cover then.

hey thanks for the reply!!!!

i already tried to plug the usb in all ports, still no difference. im having a bad time with isp. muy internet is down, im writing from my iphone. as soon as i can i will post the efi folder!

thanks man, thought nobody will answer to this!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ezyrdr said:

10 hours ago, ezyrdr said:

hey thanks for the reply!!!!

i already tried to plug the usb in all ports, still no difference. im having a bad time with isp. muy internet is down, im writing from my iphone. as soon as i can i will post the efi folder!

thanks man, thought nobody will answer to this!

You're welcome :)

I will take a look at your EFI folder in when I get back home.

@ezyrdr

The clover revision that you are using is very old, according to the EFI folder you posted the revision of your clover is v2.4k -r4012 not r4449. As I mentioned before you need to use newer version of clover. Here is the latest version available r4578.

Use this folder instead

EFI 2.zip

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ezyrdr said:

i reinstalled clover over the existing pen drive installation and no luck yet...maybe I should start the making of the installer all over again? instead of re installing clover on the pen drive? 

I don't think that's necessary, try this one

EFI 3.zip

i think it may be the pendrive because when i plug in the sierra installer it shows perfectly on clover boot screen. but bios recognize the data traveler 2 don’t know why clover doesn’t?????

i’ve used what you gave me, plus clover 4585

1 minute ago, ezyrdr said:

i think it may be the pendrive because when i plug in the sierra installer it shows perfectly on clover boot screen. but bios recognize the data traveler 2 don’t know why clover doesn’t?????

Well in that case you can format the pen drive and create the install from scratch to make sure.

Is your BIOS/UEFI set to boot in legacy or UEFI?

Format the disk using disk utility and make sure to choose Format: MacOS Extended (Journaled) and the Scheme: GUID Partition Map then create a bean new installer using the createinstallmedia method then transfer your working EFI onto the EFI partition of the disk.

thats what I did. I choose another pen drive 16gb silicon power and it loads for the bios, I even tried with my old Sierra install disk and it boots also on clover bootloader this high Sierra has my wondering...maybe my system doesn't allow it? it just won't boot on clover screen, and I did a create install media from scratch on another pendrive, but still no luck. I used the latest clover available and the efi folder you gave me, still doesn't want to show up on clover screen. maybe I should update my Sierra system clover? that sounds ridiculous but what else is to do here? thank you for takin the time to understand my situation here!!!!!

You're welcome :)

I hope we can find a solution to this but this is a little weird older clover revisions don't deter the High Sierra's boot.efi and I suspect that the issue is clover rather that anything else. I believe your system is capable of running High Sierra and we will find the issues.

With the last EFI I posted have you been able too boot from the USB disk and booting into Sierra at all?

You need to choose the USB as the primary boot device using F8 key while system is starting you did that right? or you just booted the system from clover that is on your internal HD?

i pressed f2 (as on my Asus mother) n I set the pen drive as first. this got me thinking ... cause whenever I start with f2 the pen drive is shown as first, but when I exit bios, it says nothing has been changed. BUT the pen drive is shown first on the list. I start, then clover comes in, and the only install disk that is shown correctly is my old Sierra pen drive. that one shows up as it should...with high Sierra however, there is no option popping up just the main hard disk installation, with is Sierra 10.12.6 and the recovery option...my old Sierra install disk has a very old clover version, this new high Sierra doesn't come up to play.

maybe could have something to do with an option I chose that it did apply for all instances of Sierra. that was following an old guide by lead nava. with the install disk you had to choose apply for all some kind of thing, now I can't even remember.

that left and odd behavior to the start up. before the clover boot screen, there some black screen with flashing slash symbol messing around for like 3 min, the it comes the clover boot screen. it flashes seven times, the it boots normally

Let me ask you this: Is the BIOS set to Legacy booting or UEFI? it matters a lot in the behavior that you are describing.

If you answer that we can troubleshoot the problem easier.

Is there a single file in the EFI partition on your internal hdd called "boot" ? a file not a folder.

i installed the latest version of clover on the hdd, and now it shows quite a bunch of uefi boot partitions on the boot device section of the bios. but still...high Sierra is not even there. I didn't find the option to legacy boot, this is an asus h97me board. don't know much of the bios. but I looked and is not there.

9 minutes ago, ezyrdr said:

nope. I got the efi partition and a folder called boot with bootx64.efi file in it. I got a file called boot in the install disk (no extension of course)

So the internal disk is set to boot from UEFI and the USB installer is set to boot from Legacy boot.

If the USB disk fails to boot you need to remove the boot file with no extension and just place the EFI folder.

Or delete whatever is in the EFI partition on the USB disk and then install clover in UEFI mode with the following selections:1541372106_ScreenShot2018-06-29at12_08_03PM.png.41deec0367e266b3f2e5c632ad601a48.png

Once the installation is done you can copy the ACPI Folder, Config.plist, kexts and theme from the internal hd's EFI partition to the USB disk.

You can also choose these drivers:

1573378210_ScreenShot2018-06-29at12_10_14PM.png.9fe6cfcf8366fa2d8160f0a38924038e.png

1409924488_ScreenShot2018-06-29at12_10_45PM.png.4622547c4d28ac1ce8c83bf111189ac8.png

2 minutes ago, ezyrdr said:

i installed the latest version of clover on the hdd, and now it shows quite a bunch of uefi boot partitions on the boot device section of the bios. but still...high Sierra is not even there. I didn't find the option to legacy boot, this is an asus h97me board. don't know much of the bios. but I looked and is not there.

I activated the Scan for entries in your config.plist.

try using it and see if that changes anything.

I have to go now but I will be back in few hours so we can continue.

config.plist.zip

You can download all the revision of clover from here:

https://github.com/Dids/clover-builder/releases

They're not the official release but they are the latest version available.

let me run some test with your clover and see if I can boot from it on my other rig and check and see if the High Sierra installer is gonna show on the clover GUI.

I'll get back to you in few hours, I'm a little preoccupied at the moment ;)