iMessage won‘t activate with Clover >4428

ApexDE

51 posts in this topic

I tried some hours getting iMessage to work, after updating to 10.13.5. After many testing, i found that CLOVER was to blame. Before i updated to 10.13.5, i installed CLOVER 4498 (coming from 4428).

Any CLOVER Version i tried prevented activating iMessage (iMessage Error in systemlog: 13)

I tried 4497, 4509, 4458 and 4522. Rolling back to CLOVER 4428 brought back the capability to activate iMessage. iMessage is set up correctly regarding ROM and MLB and never was a issue before.

/EFI/CLOVER/DRIVERS64UEFI has:

AppleImageCodec-64.efi DataHubDxe-64.efi FirmwareVolume-64.efi PartitionDxe-64.efi

AppleKeyAggregator-64.efi EmuVariableUefi-64.efi HFSPlus-64.efi SMCHelper-64.efi

AppleUITheme-64.efi FSInject-64.efi OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi apfs.efi

Any ideas why it fails with CLOVER Versions greater 4428?

Edited by ApexDE

10 hours ago, Slice said:

MacModel changed? SMBIOS settings? Profiler?

at first, i kept MacModel at iMac 10,1 , updated to 10.13.5 and Clover to 4497 which broke iMessage. I then updated Clover upto 4522 to no avail. As last resort, i changed MacModel to iMac 13,1 with Clover 4522 and 4497, iMessage still didn't activate, always Error 13 in System Log. I then rolled back to 4428 and iMessage activated just fine, just as always before. iMessage_debug always showed good valid values, with all MacModel and Clover variations. Very strange. The SMBIOS Settings always stayed the same with all variations tried.

<key>SMBIOS</key>
        <dict>
                <key>BiosReleaseDate</key>
                <string>04/09/2018</string>
                <key>BiosVendor</key>
                <string>Apple Inc.</string>
                <key>BiosVersion</key>
                <string>IM131.88Z.0115.B00.1804091830</string>
                <key>Board-ID</key>
                <string>Mac-00BE6ED71E35EB86</string>
                <key>BoardManufacturer</key>
                <key>BoardSerialNumber</key>
                <string>STRIPPED</string>
                <key>BoardType</key>
                <integer>10</integer>
                <key>BoardVersion</key>
                <string>1.0</string>
                <key>ChassisAssetTag</key>
                <string>iMac-Aluminum</string>
                <key>ChassisManufacturer</key>
                <key>ChassisType</key>
                <string>0x0D</string>
                <key>Family</key>
                <string>iMac</string>
                <key>FirmwareFeatures</key>
                <string>0xE00DE137</string>
                <key>FirmwareFeaturesMask</key>
                <string>0xFF1FFF3F</string>
                <key>LocationInChassis</key>
                <string>Part Component</string>
                <key>Manufacturer</key>
                <key>Mobile</key>
                <false/>
                <key>PlatformFeature</key>
                <string>0x01</string>
                <key>ProductName</key>
                <string>iMac13,1</string>
                <key>SerialNumber</key>
                <key>SmUUID</key>
                <key>Version</key>
                <string>1.0</string>

<key>RtVariables</key>
        <dict>
                <key>BooterConfig</key>
                <string>0x28</string>
                <key>CsrActiveConfig</key>
                <string>0x3</string>
                <key>MLB</key>
                <key>ROM</key>
                <data>
                STRIPPED
                </data>
        </dict>

What do you mean with profiler?

I read about changes in LAN Injection post-4428. Could this be a source of the issue?

Edited by ApexDE

36 minutes ago, ApexDE said:

What do you mean with profiler?

I read about changes in LAN Injection post-4428. Could this be a source of the issue?

Look Profiler about LAN card. You may see a difference between Profiler with 4428 and 4522.

On 6/18/2018 at 6:44 AM, ApexDE said:

I tried some hours getting iMessage to work, after updating to 10.13.5. After many testing, i found that CLOVER was to blame. Before i updated to 10.13.5, i installed CLOVER 4498 (coming from 4428).

Any CLOVER Version i tried prevented activating iMessage (iMessage Error in systemlog: 13)

I tried 4497, 4509, 4458 and 4522. Rolling back to CLOVER 4428 brought back the capability to activate iMessage. iMessage is set up correctly regarding ROM and MLB and never was a issue before.

/EFI/CLOVER/DRIVERS64UEFI has:

AppleImageCodec-64.efi DataHubDxe-64.efi FirmwareVolume-64.efi PartitionDxe-64.efi

AppleKeyAggregator-64.efi EmuVariableUefi-64.efi HFSPlus-64.efi SMCHelper-64.efi

AppleUITheme-64.efi FSInject-64.efi OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi apfs.efi

Any ideas why it fails with CLOVER Versions greater 4428?

Well, I personally had no such issue with any Clover version (assuming everything is properly set up in SMBIOS, of course). 

By Profiler, I guess we're talking about System information. If you type "system profiler", or just "profiler" in Spotlight, it should bring up System Information utility. You can access it from About this Mac -> System Report, as well.

And LAN card, I suppose we're talking about the Ethernet Card. Which should say en0 for as far as I know, in order for iMessage to work.

1148541679_ScreenShot2018-06-19at14_38_52.png.5467ad371c6fc8235739b52dc5e08f5f.png

Now, in terms of changes between 4428 and 4522, the only commit I could find which was related to LAN injection, was this one: https://sourceforge.net/p/cloverefiboot/code/4507/

In my case, I don't remember having any issues with 4428, and I don't have any issues now with 4558. But then again, this could also be a hardware specific issue. So...let's see if there's any difference in your case, in terms of LAN injection.

By the way, I'm on 10.13.5 in this screenshot, and no issues with iMessage. I doubt the actual OS has anything to do with this issue.

Edited by arsradu

i don't have LANInjection or InjectLAN in my config.plist. Maybe it is needed with Clover >4428?

This is my Profiler-Ethernet-Report with 4428 and without any LAN Injection active in config.plist:

clover_4428.png.32028907a42d26a1faf90de9e54b726e.png

29 minutes ago, ApexDE said:

i don't have LANInjection or InjectLAN in my config.plist. Maybe it is needed with Clover >4428?

This is my Profiler-Ethernet-Report with 4428 and without any LAN Injection active in config.plist:

clover_4428.png.32028907a42d26a1faf90de9e54b726e.png

No. I was talking about the changes in the commit above. This is not about the config. Especially since I assume you've tried the exact same config with both 4428 and anything above that.

But...I wonder...could you, please, upload your entire Clover folder here for analysis after removing all serials from config-SMBIOS?

I have to say, I've never seen such information before. Truth be told, I also didn't pay much attention to that section before... I mean, you can compare with mine. Now, I know you're using a different chipset. But...even so, I'm not sure that's ok.

How are you patching your LAN again? I see your motherboard uses Realtek 8111C. I would highly recommend Mieze's driver for that: https://github.com/Mieze/RTL8111_driver_for_OS_X/releases

Also, is the screenshot above from using Clover 4428 or 4522? Or is it the same for both?

Edited by arsradu

Yes, i used the same config.plist for 4428 and newer Clover Versions. I don't have any LAN Injection options enabled in the config.plist. I use a extra PCIe Network Card for better compatibility. It's working out of the box since at least macOS 10.11, onboard LAN is disabled in the BIOS.

The screenshot is taken with 4428.

Heres my complete config.plist.

EDIT: removed

Edited by ApexDE

Clover folder?

Also, could you please, attach the config rather than copy-pasting it? You can zip it, if it doesn't work by default.

I'd say the problem here might be exactly the fact that you're not using the on-board lan. For comparison, could you actually try that? With any Clover version.

Also, you don't need anything added to config for LAN injection. Just the kext I pointed to above, in Clover/kexts/Other or 10.13 if you're using the dedicated folder.

Edited by arsradu

15 hours ago, arsradu said:

I'd say the problem here might be exactly the fact that you're not using the on-board lan. For comparison, could you actually try that? With any Clover version.

Also, you don't need anything added to config for LAN injection. Just the kext I pointed to above, in Clover/kexts/Other or 10.13 if you're using the dedicated folder.

The Network Card has been working perfectly fine since at least 10.11 without any issues and is supported out-of-the-box, best method useable. All other network interfaces are disabled in the BIOS.

I installed Clover 4558 and found the problem: Injection as "Ethernet built-in" doesn't work with Clover >4428.

Screenshot taken with IORegistryExplorer and Clover 4558. With Clover 4428 it said "IOBuiltin: true". It MUST be "true" to activate iMessage.

clover_4558_ioreg.thumb.png.f6aa5c76798bdd3d67df58d23e198f76.png

Final EDIT:

It turns out that Clover doesn't inject the Network Card automatically as "built-in" since Clover 4428. You need to add two more lines in config.plist in "Devices" for properly injected internal Ethernet, so IORegistryExplorer shows "True" for IOBuiltin:

<key>LANInjection</key>

<true/>

I'll report back when my iMessage Security Token expires and new iMessage Activation is needed, but i guess it will be working again from now on.

Edited by ApexDE
Solution
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

UGH!! Right about June 6 my Messages/Facetime, which have been working for many years, just stopped working. It wouldn’t activate. I spent at least eight hours on Monday trying to figure out why. I deleted pref files, even changed my rock solid config file with new serial number, board serial, ROM, MLB, etc. I even called Apple which I know was a stupid idea.

So others are having this same issue? I tried to go back to version 4497 but it didn't work. I think I've screwed something up with Apple activation servers now.

7 hours ago, ApexDE said:

The Network Card has been working perfectly fine since at least 10.11 without any issues and is supported out-of-the-box, best method useable. All other network interfaces are disabled in the BIOS.

I installed Clover 4558 and found the problem: Injection as "Ethernet built-in" doesn't work with Clover >4428.

Screenshot taken with IORegistryExplorer and Clover 4558. With Clover 4428 it said "IOBuiltin: true". It MUST be "true" to activate iMessage

Final EDIT:

It turns out that Clover doesn't inject the Network Card automatically as "built-in" since Clover 4428. You need to add two more lines in config.plist in "Devices" for properly injected internal Ethernet, so IORegistryExplorer shows "True" for IOBuiltin:

<key>LANInjection</key>

<true/>

I'll report back when my iMessage Security Token expires and new iMessage Activation is needed, but i guess it will be working again from now on.

So I guess it was about that commit...

Interestingly enough, as I said, I never had this issue before. But it's good to know how to fix it, in case it ever occurs to me. So...thank you.

32 minutes ago, pkdesign said:

UGH!! Right about June 6 my Messages/Facetime, which have been working for many years, just stopped working. It wouldn’t activate. I spent at least eight hours on Monday trying to figure out why. I deleted pref files, even changed my rock solid config file with new serial number, board serial, ROM, MLB, etc. I even called Apple which I know was a stupid idea.

So others are having this same issue? I tried to go back to version 4497 but it didn't work. I think I've screwed something up with Apple activation servers now.

Are you also using a separate LAN card? Cause, honestly, I've never encountered this issue before with the on-board one. :))

Edited by arsradu

3 hours ago, arsradu said:

So I guess it was about that commit...

Interestingly enough, as I said, I never had this issue before. But it's good to know how to fix it, in case it ever occurs to me. So...thank you.

Are you also using a separate LAN card? Cause, honestly, I've never encountered this issue before with the on-board one. :))

Yes, I use an OOB card that the system recognizes using AppleYukon2.kext. Like I said hasn’t been an issue for many years. I checked IOReg and it does show as not built in (won't let me attach screen shot.)

I'm afraid to money around with my config again as I'm afraid I will get blocked. But I may try to go back to my original config as the new one has screwed up a lot of apps, etc.

13 minutes ago, pkdesign said:

Yes, I use an OOB card that the system recognizes using AppleYukon2.kext. Like I said hasn’t been an issue for many years. I checked IOReg and it does show as not built in (won't let me attach screen shot.)

I'm afraid to money around with my config again as I'm afraid I will get blocked. But I may try to go back to my original config as the new one has screwed up a lot of apps, etc.

Ok... Now, this will probably sound really stupid, and I'm only trying to understand why that commit was made in the first place. Cause it clearly says "correct mistakes". Which makes me think that...actually the way it worked before, was not the right way. Even if, in this particular case, it did fit your needs perfectly.

And the reason why I'm saying this is because this is (technically) NOT an on-board/built-in card. So...why are you expecting it to work like one? And especially out of the box.

Edited by arsradu

Hmm, not sure what you mean or are asking. I bought the card in October 2016 when my onboard Ethernet died. It has been working flawlessly ever since with no extra kext or injection. Hence OOB. The OS just recognizes the card as a Marvell Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8053 and uses AppleYukon2.kext to load.

Since it always worked, I was never aware of any issues (such as having to inject like ApexDE has found) or needing to look at the IOReg.

4 hours ago, arsradu said:

Final EDIT:

<key>LANInjection</key>

<true/> 

Where did you insert that key?

32 minutes ago, pkdesign said:

Hmm, not sure what you mean or are asking. I bought the card in October 2016 when my onboard Ethernet died. It has been working flawlessly ever since with no extra kext or injection. Hence OOB. The OS just recognizes the card as a Marvell Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8053 and uses AppleYukon2.kext to load.

Yep, I understand that. :) But...I'm saying that, since this is a new "issue", and since it appears to only affect people with non-builtIn cards, and since the commit above was meant to fix a mistake (meaning the fact that it probably shouldn't have worked like that in the first place since it's not an on-board card), I'm thinking that, maybe, the fact that it did work for so long, was simply because this "bug" hasn't been discovered and fixed until now.

Of course, now that it's fixed (assuming this is actually the way it should have been all along), of course it's not ok since you expected it to continue to work, as it did, even if it wasn't supposed to. :) At least not without some patches. I mean...to me, logic would suggest that, since it's not an on-board card, it shouldn't work like one. So the fact that it did, is probably just a lucky coincidence. Of course, this is just my opinion.

As for where you should add that, open up your config.plist with Clover Configurator, go to Devices and check the box for LANInjection.

Ooor, edit the config.plist with a good text editor, search for the Devices section, and add that key into it. Save the changes and restart. 

I guess both should work. Only one is more user-friendly than the other. :)

I would upload a screenshot but uploads are down...again.

Edited by arsradu

You have no idea just how happy i am right now. :drool: Even though I did spend all day Monday trying to figure this out. IT WORKS!

I went back to all my original settings except I added the LAN key and ow IOReg does indeed see the LAN adapter as BuiltIn.

I'm guessing Apple got a little particular with this last update that made my previous setting not work.

I can't seem to sign into iTunes now but one problem at a time! It may clear itself up. Everything else works.

THANK YOU!

Edited by pkdesign

You're welcome :) Happy Messaging. Took me some hours too to check this out. Really tricky to discover.

See also this post:

default „IOBuiltin“ Injection is disabled by default now with recent Clover Versions. So i guess more Users will be affected when their iMessage Security Token expires.

Anyone knows how long the Token lasts?

Edited by ApexDE

On 6/21/2018 at 12:46 AM, ApexDE said:

You're welcome :) Happy Messaging. Took me some hours too to check this out. Really tricky to discover.

See also this post:

default „IOBuiltin“ Injection is disabled by default now with recent Clover Versions. So i guess more Users will be affected when their iMessage Security Token expires.

Anyone knows how long the Token lasts?

I set it back to default to TRUE with r4576.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

I figure this is the best post to hijack. I’m trying to activate iMessage on my laptop. I have followed many guides and done every step correctly but iMessage will not activate

I have my Ethernet as en0, laninjection is enabled. I now have an iPhone and iMessage is working on it so I’m at a loss. Any help would be great. I’m using Mojave beta 5 and clover 4634. I did have it working after a fresh install but after a reboot it wouldn’t activate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

49 minutes ago, SavageAUS said:

I figure this is the best post to hijack. I’m trying to activate iMessage on my laptop. I have followed many guides and done every step correctly but iMessage will not activate

I have my Ethernet as en0, laninjection is enabled. I now have an iPhone and iMessage is working on it so I’m at a loss. Any help would be great. I’m using Mojave beta 5 and clover 4634. I did have it working after a fresh install but after a reboot it wouldn’t activate.

Sounds like NVRAM issues to me... Could be wrong though. Make sure you have either hardware NVRAM (which, if you're asking for the Desktop build in your signature, it's not the case), or you use AptioMemoryFix in Clover.

Edited by arsradu

Sounds like NVRAM issues to me... Could be wrong though. Make sure you have either hardware NVRAM (which, if you're asking for the Desktop build in your signature, it's not the case), or you use AptioMemoryFix in Clover.

Sorry I should have stated it’s for the laptop in my signature and I’m already using AptioMemoryFix.

1 minute ago, SavageAUS said:

Sorry I should have stated it’s for the laptop in my signature and I’m already using AptioMemoryFix.

Hmm. SMBIOS I suppose is already checked, right? Is everything alright with that? It's weird that it works at the beginning, but fails afterwards.

Are you logged in from multiple accounts? As in one account for Messages, another one for iCloud and so on so forth? If not..then I don't know...

For Haswell, you shouldn't need anything for NVRAM since you already have hardware NVRAM... This is weird. I suppose it works fine on the Desktop? Same Clover, same MacOS?