Vyzantion

Mojave on non-Metal graphics

19 posts in this topic

I am starting this thread in order to keep track of the progress of running macOS Mojave on non-Metal capable graphics card. I do not have a Metal capable GPU in my Hackintosh and I would like to keep the hardware upgrade on a minimum cost this year. There are also others like me. We already know some things about Mojave, like that it can boot with -x (safe mode) and that some people managed to make it work even without -x . Myself, I think I shall wait until the second public beta, due to work I have little time for my Hackintosh and I hope High Sierra 10.13.6 will be available ever since. So, I open this thread for everybody having something to say about it and to keep track of all the progress made on this issue. Thanks.

Advertisement

First public beta builds of Mojave failed to install on my non-Metal, 256 mb Nvidia GPU. All macOS versions since Mavericks to High Sierra worked, more or less. Some apps were not working (like Maps), but it was fine, mostly. Created a custom boot pen drive, with macOS system definitions iMac Early 2013. Installation went fine for most part, the installer was booted, I was able to install in APFS but, on first boot, when the welcome screen was suppose to come, the PC restarted. I do not use Nvidia drivers, only what is included into macOS itself, the GPU itself being too old to be supported by Web Drivers anyway. The Apple logo appears after DSMOS has arrived, it does not seen to be an issue of FakeSMC.

I have looked into the information on this forum about running Mojave on non-Metal GPU but, honestly, I am lost in the information.

I need help, at least a suggestion of what and, especially, what can I try. I strongly want to avoid upgrading the GPU, due to financial reasons, but I also need to upgrade to Mojave.

My specs are:

ASUS P5P41TED rev. X.ox

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500

Nvidia GeForce 6200

2 gb ram dDr 3

Edited by Vyzantion

I have managed to install Mojave PB on Nvidia GeForce 6200 (ancient GPU)by making a patched installation using Dosdude1„s tools. I do not know how the patch works. I have used an old Clover build (the new ones do not seem to see  Mojave) to create the pen drive, then installed the latest update on it.

I hope it's not against the rule to bring up a thread with a most recent post in August 11.

I'm also interested in this, my GT 610 doesn't support Metal (Or so it seems) but i was able to install Mojave without any issue and boot it to full max resolution, only one issue.. The graphics, not screen, stutter in apps like Safari the tabs order for example messes up and they overlap each other randomly, some apps are all black can't see anything on them, but the overall performance was fluid, i could use iTunes without any issue, and many native OS apps, the additional apps from external sources have some issues with the graphics stuttering so i hope my problem is only with acceleration and not having the up coming nVidi web drivers yet otherwise im gonna be forced to purchase a new metal api support card.

On 9/8/2018 at 2:09 AM, a59 said:

I hope it's not against the rule to bring up a thread with a most recent post in August 11.

I'm also interested in this, my GT 610 doesn't support Metal (Or so it seems) but i was able to install Mojave without any issue and boot it to full max resolution, only one issue.. The graphics, not screen, stutter in apps like Safari the tabs order for example messes up and they overlap each other randomly, some apps are all black can't see anything on them, but the overall performance was fluid, i could use iTunes without any issue, and many native OS apps, the additional apps from external sources have some issues with the graphics stuttering so i hope my problem is only with acceleration and not having the up coming nVidi web drivers yet otherwise im gonna be forced to purchase a new metal api support card.

Have you used the Dosdude1 patch?

I have an old NVIDIA Card as well (GTX 560 TI) and in order to make it work in High Sierra I had to disable Metal so OpenGL is used instead. I guess it's the same for Mojave once NVIDIA releases the driver?

Anyway here are the Terminal commands:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.CoreDisplay useMetal -boolean no
sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.CoreDisplay useIOP -boolean no

Source: https://github.com/lvs1974/NvidiaGraphicsFixup/releases/tag/v1.2.4

7 hours ago, 5T33Z0 said:

I have an old NVIDIA Card as well (GTX 560 TI) and in order to make it work in High Sierra I had to disable Metal so OpenGL is used instead. I guess it's the same for Mojave once NVIDIA releases the driver?

Anyway here are the Terminal commands:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.CoreDisplay useMetal -boolean no
sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.CoreDisplay useIOP -boolean no

Source: https://github.com/lvs1974/NvidiaGraphicsFixup/releases/tag/v1.2.4

you can just put the NvidiaGraphics.kext or latest whatevergreen.kext in clover and boot with ngfxgl=1 boot flag

I have managed to use OpenGL instead of Metal and make the OS usable via Dosdude1 patch. Transparency does not work, but neither in High Sierra worked. Clover has some issues. yet.

Edited by Vyzantion

:hysterical: GeForce 6xxx were last supported on Leopard 10.5. It requires a certain (high?) degree of tenacity to keep running any subsequent versions of OS X/macOS without any form of graphics acceleration! Hell, even the GeForce 7xxx series lost support after Lion 10.7.

The 9500 GT is based on G96 chip and, afaik, was fully supported in High Sierra. It's not compatible with Metal and should therefore work Ok under Mojave once you install the old nVidia kexts from High Sierra.

My 2008 Dell Latitude D630 is fitted with an nVidia Quadro NVS 135M which is based on GeForce 8400M GS, i.e G86M chip and it runs Mojave Ok with full graphics acceleration with HS's nVidia kexts. It only has the usual minor graphics defects resulting from running a non-Metal card, i.e. buggy transparency of Finder's bar and Windows side panel, most visible in light mode. These defects can be lessened by implementing what's been referred by some people as "hybrid transparency".

12 hours ago, FirstTimeCustomac said:

Anyone with 9500 GT made it work with mojave?

If you use a patched installer of Mojave, it should work. I use Dosdude1, alongside Clover and FakeSMC. My GPU is older then yours and it works. Dosdude1 app brings some High Sierra kexts into Mojave. If you have a valid license for both OSs, this should be fine, legally. 

4 hours ago, Hervé said:

The 9500 GT is based on G96 chip and, afaik, was fully supported in High Sierra. It's not compatible with Metal and should therefore work Ok under Mojave once you install the old nVidia kexts from High Sierra.

My 2008 Dell Latitude D630 is fitted with an nVidia Quadro NVS 135M which is based on GeForce 8400M GS, i.e G86M chip and it runs Mojave Ok with full graphics acceleration with HS's nVidia kexts. It only has the usual minor graphics defects resulting from running a non-Metal card, i.e. buggy transparency of Finder's bar and Windows side panel, most visible in light mode. These defects can be lessened by implementing what's been referred by some people as "hybrid transparency".

Thanks for the replay,

I had to use NVDAStartup.Kext from El Capitan to use my 9500 gt in Sierra. I used same method to try to get it working with mojave.  Everything looks to be working when i check about this mac section, all the gpu info is there including vram but doesn't look like QE/CI is enabled. Do you know which nvidia kexts need to be copied from High Sierra?

Thanks.

44 minutes ago, Vyzantion said:

If you use a patched installer of Mojave, it should work. I use Dosdude1, alongside Clover and FakeSMC. My GPU is older then yours and it works. Dosdude1 app brings some High Sierra kexts into Mojave. If you have a valid license for both OSs, this should be fine, legally. 

I will also try this method. Thank you.

10 minutes ago, FirstTimeCustomac said:

I will also try this method. Thank you.

First, download the installer app, then put the installer on the pen drive using the Dosdude1 app. Then install Clover and FakeSMC. Dosdude1 app shall patch some components. All hardware that was able to run Sierra and High Sierra should be able to run the patched Mojave.

10 hours ago, Hervé said:

@Vyzantion, you need to copy those nVidia kexts listed here.

Thank you.  I was able get my 9500 GT to work. Copied NVDAStartup from EL Capitan and other kexts from High Sierra.  Initially, I just copied NVDANV50, GeforceTesla, NVDAStartup, NVDAResmanTesla and rebuild cache but it failed due to unresolved symbol issue. But after copying IOGraphicsfamily, IONDRVSupport, IOUSBHostFamily,  i was able to rebuild cache.  All the kexts are loaded and working. Thank you for your guide.1773856915_ScreenShot2018-11-03at6_27_26PM.png.4873421fe387b61076297409305a34dd.png1055429901_ScreenShot2018-11-03at6_24_35PM.png.30d33fab33307a05ecf3884fc2983e6d.png2006081531_ScreenShot2018-11-03at6_27_05PM.png.21a9e35d1bec9c1ba9add69424482d5c.png2085290285_ScreenShot2018-11-03at6_42_51PM.png.866b10dd2d61ac77d08387729ca6b653.png122428891_ScreenShot2018-11-03at6_36_17PM.png.0770df2b7ca7696f6d9638b6b61fed25.png661681686_ScreenShot2018-11-03at6_55_50PM.png.a639c493c0cdc51d3b16156a966a5237.png