Mojave on non-Metal graphics

Vyzantion

24 posts in this topic

I am starting this thread in order to keep track of the progress of running macOS Mojave on non-Metal capable graphics card. I do not have a Metal capable GPU in my Hackintosh and I would like to keep the hardware upgrade on a minimum cost this year. There are also others like me. We already know some things about Mojave, like that it can boot with -x (safe mode) and that some people managed to make it work even without -x . Myself, I think I shall wait until the second public beta, due to work I have little time for my Hackintosh and I hope High Sierra 10.13.6 will be available ever since. So, I open this thread for everybody having something to say about it and to keep track of all the progress made on this issue. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

First public beta builds of Mojave failed to install on my non-Metal, 256 mb Nvidia GPU. All macOS versions since Mavericks to High Sierra worked, more or less. Some apps were not working (like Maps), but it was fine, mostly. Created a custom boot pen drive, with macOS system definitions iMac Early 2013. Installation went fine for most part, the installer was booted, I was able to install in APFS but, on first boot, when the welcome screen was suppose to come, the PC restarted. I do not use Nvidia drivers, only what is included into macOS itself, the GPU itself being too old to be supported by Web Drivers anyway. The Apple logo appears after DSMOS has arrived, it does not seen to be an issue of FakeSMC.

I have looked into the information on this forum about running Mojave on non-Metal GPU but, honestly, I am lost in the information.

I need help, at least a suggestion of what and, especially, what can I try. I strongly want to avoid upgrading the GPU, due to financial reasons, but I also need to upgrade to Mojave.

My specs are:

ASUS P5P41TED rev. X.ox

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500

Nvidia GeForce 6200

2 gb ram dDr 3

Edited by Vyzantion

I have managed to install Mojave PB on Nvidia GeForce 6200 (ancient GPU)by making a patched installation using Dosdude1„s tools. I do not know how the patch works. I have used an old Clover build (the new ones do not seem to see  Mojave) to create the pen drive, then installed the latest update on it.

• 4 weeks later...

I hope it's not against the rule to bring up a thread with a most recent post in August 11.

I'm also interested in this, my GT 610 doesn't support Metal (Or so it seems) but i was able to install Mojave without any issue and boot it to full max resolution, only one issue.. The graphics, not screen, stutter in apps like Safari the tabs order for example messes up and they overlap each other randomly, some apps are all black can't see anything on them, but the overall performance was fluid, i could use iTunes without any issue, and many native OS apps, the additional apps from external sources have some issues with the graphics stuttering so i hope my problem is only with acceleration and not having the up coming nVidi web drivers yet otherwise im gonna be forced to purchase a new metal api support card.

On 9/8/2018 at 2:09 AM, a59 said:

I hope it's not against the rule to bring up a thread with a most recent post in August 11.

I'm also interested in this, my GT 610 doesn't support Metal (Or so it seems) but i was able to install Mojave without any issue and boot it to full max resolution, only one issue.. The graphics, not screen, stutter in apps like Safari the tabs order for example messes up and they overlap each other randomly, some apps are all black can't see anything on them, but the overall performance was fluid, i could use iTunes without any issue, and many native OS apps, the additional apps from external sources have some issues with the graphics stuttering so i hope my problem is only with acceleration and not having the up coming nVidi web drivers yet otherwise im gonna be forced to purchase a new metal api support card.

Have you used the Dosdude1 patch?

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, 5T33Z0 said:

I have an old NVIDIA Card as well (GTX 560 TI) and in order to make it work in High Sierra I had to disable Metal so OpenGL is used instead. I guess it's the same for Mojave once NVIDIA releases the driver?

Anyway here are the Terminal commands:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.CoreDisplay useMetal -boolean no
sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.CoreDisplay useIOP -boolean no

Source: https://github.com/lvs1974/NvidiaGraphicsFixup/releases/tag/v1.2.4

you can just put the NvidiaGraphics.kext or latest whatevergreen.kext in clover and boot with ngfxgl=1 boot flag

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, FirstTimeCustomac said:

Anyone with 9500 GT made it work with mojave?

If you use a patched installer of Mojave, it should work. I use Dosdude1, alongside Clover and FakeSMC. My GPU is older then yours and it works. Dosdude1 app brings some High Sierra kexts into Mojave. If you have a valid license for both OSs, this should be fine, legally. 

On 11/3/2018 at 6:11 AM, Hervé said:

The 9500 GT is based on G96 chip and, afaik, was fully supported in High Sierra. It's not compatible with Metal and should therefore work Ok under Mojave once you install the old nVidia kexts from High Sierra.

My 2008 Dell Latitude D630 is fitted with an nVidia Quadro NVS 135M which is based on GeForce 8400M GS, i.e G86M chip and it runs Mojave Ok with full graphics acceleration with HS's nVidia kexts. It only has the usual minor graphics defects resulting from running a non-Metal card, i.e. buggy transparency of Finder's bar and Windows side panel, most visible in light mode. These defects can be lessened by implementing what's been referred by some people as "hybrid transparency".

Edited by FirstTimeCustomac

On 11/3/2018 at 9:59 AM, Vyzantion said:

If you use a patched installer of Mojave, it should work. I use Dosdude1, alongside Clover and FakeSMC. My GPU is older then yours and it works. Dosdude1 app brings some High Sierra kexts into Mojave. If you have a valid license for both OSs, this should be fine, legally. 

Edited by FirstTimeCustomac

10 minutes ago, FirstTimeCustomac said:

I will also try this method. Thank you.

First, download the installer app, then put the installer on the pen drive using the Dosdude1 app. Then install Clover and FakeSMC. Dosdude1 app shall patch some components. All hardware that was able to run Sierra and High Sierra should be able to run the patched Mojave.

• 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I've tried setting up Mojave on GIGABYTE GA-P67A-D3-B3 (rev. 2.0) with Intel Core i5 2500 and NVIDIA GTX 550 Ti (2Gb from Leadtek).

Installing started after changing model from iMac12,2 (most common by proc) to iMac13,2 (just supported) and date (Inject nvidia was enough).

Since last installation step, video disappeared.
First of all, CoreDisplay + GeForce-GF100-Series.kext had no success.
Than I've added WhateverGreen + Lilu - still no video, still getting IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3.

Here I recalled I can use nv_disable (VESA - 1024x768, 1 monitor, lags everywhere), at least to finish setup.
Next approach was to install Nvidia WEB Drivers (which haven't worked well for my config since 10.10, 10.11-10.12 built-in drivers became stable and nvidia ones glitchy) using nvidia-update. Than done (and enabled in Clover) I got 1080p and both monitors, but still a lot of lags and no transparency.

Install Fix-Old-NVIDIA-macOS-Mojave, again 1080p and both monitors, much less lags, I would say it was useable, despite no HW acceleration. (Screenshot at this point)
As the result - you can ran Mojave on GTX 550Ti, it will look more or less fine, you might be even able to get rid of transparency problem, but never get HW acceleration, so user experience will be more like a torture.

P.S. I also tried to make High Sierra work, using same sequence of approaches, the best I got (despite stable VESA) is login screen cyclically failing on press of login button with IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3 and returning to login screen with built-in drivers and kinda working system (you can pass login, access Desktop) with unbearable glitches and artifacts using WEB drivers. Also, setting model to MacPro6,1 as some advised, didn't helped.
1554096038_2020-02-011_05_04.thumb.png.8a4d546f01166772460414ecba0a5dcb.png

Edited by Miha_xXx
fix typos

• 3 months later...

has anyone successfully installed on Asus laptops old models with Sandybridge HD3000 graphics, Intel 6 series,

CPU Intel i3 Core 2130m systems? 

Reading and watching Dosdue1, he's installing on actual Mac.   The patches he's applying have no idea just names.  legacy patches for sure.  As this pc is legacy boot2. 2011 model Asus K53E lowend model.

High Sierra locked up with unsupported CPU.  Did not realize Metal Support necessary. 

Hi  Herve' thank you so much.

installed 10.13.6 about two weeks ago.  And then again about a week or so?

Kept locking up.  

During each boot, keep in -v mode, was constantly seeing -unsupported cpu and errors.  I ran no convert apfs which was nice.

When I installed High Sierra the first time,  I had no lock ups.

I looked at the log on clover configurator but does not show the errors.
Not sure where to find the system boot logs. 

I downloaded a kext for HD3000 from another site.  Placed in on USB. 

You are saying that prior to booting into the new fresh install boot off the installer in -s mode? This causes much problems on this machine because nothing but sleep wake units updates every two seconds creating a mess to see and type. I do not know how this happened.  Would like to shut it off.

So what I do is booting off the installer, get to the install part and open a Terminal

Then I can copy and paste or such from any mounted drive.  

However, I have not messed with this in three years.  So I have been slowly retrain ing myself.  Pretty much lost the knowledge and understanding that is needed.

I got this patch from another site reference. Chris1111 patch. This is done after install.

My problem is the Unsupported CPU on boot up per verbose mode.

I always test the USB to see if it boots.  

I am worried that this CPU Intel iCore3 2310m is a no go.

It did lock up with 10.13.6 High Sierra. 

How to know if the CPU is not compatible?  I see only Mac Models.

Thank you so much.  for the Kext and the Platform.plist

I have to snatch the telemetry file from 10.12.6 Sierra. As I could not run High Sierra.  Would that work? and should I use Sierra Platform. plist as well?

Lastly I am presuming that the Mac Model is causing the problem on lock ups and unsupported cpu on boot?

If so this these plugins would correct his boot up issue?

Edited by makk

what I've managed to do so far is installed whatever green.kext and used the -no_compat_check. also

igfx@@@=0 which disables metal support from clover.  

I'm new to Whatevergreen.kext and all this VirtualSMC.kext and but, it boots and patches my SNDHD3000 well. Runs so much smoother than previous.  

Hibernation sleep is a no go. doesn't wake.  RTC issue I believe. CMOS time and MacOS time is 4hrs difference. Even with RTCMemoryFixup, RTCAwareHibernation, RTC patch in DSDT.  The time is not synced causing problems. I do not know how to correct this.  just tried to fix the RTC timing, but to no avail so far. I got down from 12 hours to 4 so something is working.

However as long as I have this unsupported cpu issue, High Sierra and above cannot run. Locking up.  

I managed to boot off the installer to get to the install part and then shutdown to test and it works to this point.

I managed to use Dosdude1's patcher to create the Mojave Installer.  Was able to get to the Installing screen just like on the YouTube.

ok was able to install and it is stable no crashes no lockups.

Two problems so far 

1 No USB 2.0 connectivity.  Used the legacy USB patch on Dosdude1

2 No Wifi Atheros 9820 Dsdt installed and SSDT's booting from one Drive sharing

with Sierra main partition. 

in about this Mac> System Report> PCI is not populated properly. 

Probably two issues. Have to change the USB designation in DSDT 

and probably some patch for Wifi and USB somewhere I have to look for these.

Not sure where to look on new systems.

Herve' for the telemetry folder how much does this help?

would it serve a to have it?  

I only have Sierra and El Capitan installed

Just a while ago mojave. running well.

I used the Sierra 10.12.6 telemetry and HD3000 Kexts

seems well. and the PlatformSupport.plist from the hack. 

used the patcher from Dosdude1 and removed it from Library/Ext. 

Not sure why that why to use that particular directory.

I always use EFI kexts folder to distribute all the kexts.

First I installed the 10.13.6 HD3000 had a tearing issue. 

Certain, audio components are not propagating still.  have to look at the DSDT again.

This board, I've come across several different Sandybridge identifiers for HDMI and Display

00000100 10000300 26010000 11600000 these are 

then on the DSDT not sure which one to stick where.

there is two places in the DSDT to insert 

one of those is 7 series I have 6 series. low resolution 4 port HDMI but on the laptop only have two actual ports,

DVI and HDMI. then the LCD Display this gets confusing.

I'm wondering if the El Capitan HD3000 drivers would work?  Because in this laptop El Capitan had no glitches and no shutdown problems.  (Timing issues. RTC all not correctly syncing.)

But in El Capitan everything was synced and did not need to modify the DSDT for shutdown,

For Display and Audio had to use Mirone and some hacks.  For the frame buffer HDMI to work.

In Sierra had to add and modify the shutdown. The Asus patch all the others for Sandybridge and however many patches did not work.  Finally the Intel Shutdown worked.  With SLP down near the bottom of the DSDT.  Weird. But this DSDT is hacked anyway not clean like some others.  Even after disassembly.  I guess I will have to try it.

The audio properties in System Reports does not show the proper stuff.  

I had fixed it in Sierra and El Capitan.  With lots of DSDT edits, several patches.  

Now with a newer way in config.plist 

Devices>Properties> = adding in the pci designations has been a real help.  

But not sure how to add all the audio properties and the rest.  Need a manual

For the Whatever Green stuff for igfx there is a quick help guide. But it is not extensive.

choosing options how to decide what to write ands so forth.  

Could you take a look at the config.plist?

Thanks

config.plist

Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 10.03.32 AM.png