ammoune78

The SSD is formatted as GPT but end up in MBR after macOS is installed

17 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hey guy's i'm having a weird problem with installing macOS sierra or high sierra on my laptop in GPT, i create GPT partition under diskpart. Then I  boot to the installer, after formatting the SSD for the install process with disk utility, and press install on SSD, after the first reboot, I check again that SSD with diskpart, and it's in GPT! But once it begin the installation, and after it finish, after setting up the Mac scrren, I open diskutility, and it's MBR, checking diskpart again from Windows 10 USB installer it's MBR :lol:

Please help i'll pull off my hair!

Edited by ammoune78

Advertisement
47 minutes ago, ammoune78 said:

Hey guy's i'm having a weird problem with installing macOS sierra or high sierra on my laptop in GPT, i create GPT partition under diskpart. Then I  boot to the installer, after formatting the SSD for the install process with disk utility, and press install on SSD, after the first reboot, I check again that SSD with diskpart, and it's in GPT! But once it begin the installation, and after it finish, after setting up the Mac scrren, I open diskutility, and it's MBR, checking diskpart again from Windows 10 USB installer it's MBR :lol:

Make sure your USB installer is also GPT, not MBR.

Check the BIOS settings to see if Legacy is disabled and it's on UEFI only.

Otherwise, install to another HDD to see if its that particular SSD problem.

51 minutes ago, ammoune78 said:

Do you have windows installed on the disk or you just want to install macOS only? if so use these commands:

diskpart

list disks

sel disk X (X is for the drive you want to install macOS on)

clean (this will erase all the data on the disk so if you have data stored on that this avoid this command)

convert gpt and reboot

Then install macOS and make sure the things are as what @RandomTech has suggested.

Thank you guy's for the reply

Just now, RandomTech said:

Make sure your USB installer is also GPT, not MBR.

Check the BIOS settings to see if Legacy is disabled and it's on UEFI only.

Otherwise, install to another HDD to see if its that particular SSD problem.

USB installer is GPT

BIOS settings all into UEFI and Legacy is disabled

If i install Windows like now, i'm writing these comments from it, checking diskpart, is installed on GPT with * "that means GPT"

I've checked helth of that SSD and it's in "Very Good" health from the software log

Just now, Cyberdevs said:

Do you have windows installed on the disk or you just want to install macOS only? if so use these commands:

diskpart

list disks

sel disk X (X is for the drive you want to install macOS on)

clean (this will erase all the data on the disk so if you have data stored on that this avoid this command)

convert gpt and reboot

Then install macOS and make sure the things are as what @RandomTech has suggested.

And yes, i always use diskpart to format and convert drives, it's my preferred, since i use it with confidence

Now what i'm suspecting is, maybe i have problem with DSDT or config.plist or kexts because, always when i format the drive it makes too long to format it from the installer, but never got error for that, it just make  a minute or more seconds to format it entirely!

I can't post that efi folder because of diskpart said don't let me to add or remove assign letter to that partition, and in disk management that usb drive have all things grayed, so I have to reinstall macOS from the start to post it Naaaaaaaaaaa, i have now no hair, :wallbash:

Could it be :hysterical: , that Boot=>Legacy=>PBR:whistle: I think is that, anyway, I'll go for another clean reinstall :hammer: :hyper:

7 hours ago, ammoune78 said:

Could it be :hysterical: , that Boot=>Legacy=>PBR:whistle: I think is that, anyway, I'll go for another clean reinstall :hammer: :hyper:

Do you install windows first and then try to install macOS on another partition?

Do you install windows first and then try to install macOS on another partition?

No just macOS!

I’m using Tapatalk right now

So why don't you use Disk Utility to partition the disk instead of booting in windows installer?

Boot into windows and use the commands just to clean the disk

Diskpart

list disks

sel disk X

clean

exit

exit

reboot

boot into macOS installer and use disk utility with the following settings:

Name: whatever you like

Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Scheme: GUID Partition Map

and install macOS as usual.

Now it's GPT installed, but in clover configurator it shows:

1703558184_ScreenShot2018-05-27at5_25_18AM.thumb.png.85340810085b562f5424a5fafab8a0be.png

Can you check please the Clover folder? maybe I'm doing something wrong, or missing kext

This is what I always do, a clean using Diskpart, convert that drive to GPT, then use disk utility to format as you suggested! The strange thing is, when I format using disk utility and install it's GPT but one it reboot to install macOS it automatically convert to MBR, but now, I deleted Legacy PBR, it installed GPT, but the boot partition name doesn't shows the name in clover configurator!

2 hours ago, ammoune78 said:

Now it's GPT installed, but in clover configurator it shows:

1703558184_ScreenShot2018-05-27at5_25_18AM.thumb.png.85340810085b562f5424a5fafab8a0be.png

Can you check please the Clover folder? maybe I'm doing something wrong, or missing kext

This is what I always do, a clean using Diskpart, convert that drive to GPT, then use disk utility to format as you suggested! The strange thing is, when I format using disk utility and install it's GPT but one it reboot to install macOS it automatically convert to MBR, but now, I deleted Legacy PBR, it installed GPT, but the boot partition name doesn't shows the name in clover configurator!

The name won't show because of the APFS format, i think it's an issue in clover configurator which needs to be addressed by the developer's of the app.

It's normal, I never deleted the Legacy PBR and it has no effect on my rig.

I don't have access to my hack right now but this is from my MacBook Air on HFS formatted SSD. I will send you another picture for my hack for comparison.

Screen Shot 2018-05-27 at 12.17.58 PM.png

But i’m using just Sierra!

I’m using Tapatalk right now

Please I see now, any help with this, because I remember in a previous installation I've used FileVault, so it encrypted the Drive, I wasn't able to enter macOS, so I formatted it and reinstalled macOS again over the encrypted drive, here's terminal what it show:

Last login: Sun May 27 11:27:02 on console
AirMac78s-MBP:~ airmac78$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *180.0 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:          Apple_CoreStorage Macintosh HD            179.2 GB   disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3

/dev/disk1 (internal, virtual):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:                  Apple_HFS Macintosh HD           +178.8 GB   disk1
                                 Logical Volume on disk0s2
                                 D021B9AF-2BE7-48D8-B225-299957FBC5A4
                                 Encrypted

Any idea on how please ^_^ ?

Thanks dude, searching on google, did it by terminal command and now it's ok! Really thanks, now i can install windows as well on the same drive in other partition :thumbsup_anim: