Help with Asus Q550LF Brightness+Battery

Quinzie XO

12 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,
I own an Asus Q550LF and the specs are : i7-4500U, HD4400/Nvidia 745, ALC668 Audio, ElanTech TrackPad with multi finger gesture. 

Status

i7-4500U: Seems to be working with speed stepping (Haswell)

HD4400/Nvidia: Seems to be working (of course Nvidia won't work due to Optimus)

ALC668: Working with VoodooHDA (no auto switching and no audio from 3.55mm jack, internal works with mic)

TrackPad: Installed kext but only keyboard works, touchpad is unresponsive (seems to need DSDT fixes to get both touchpad and Fn keys working)

Brightness Control: (Doesn't work at all and needs DSDT Fix)

Battery Meter: Not working as well (needs DSDT fix and shows 0% right now in energy saver and trying to enable it but doesn't work) 

Keyboard Backlight: Not Working

For the life of me, I have been trying to edit and also did manage to successfully compile my DSDT before asking you for any help. I have tried to edit my DSDT for the fixes above but nothing seems to be working. Below I have attached a link to both, my EFI folder and also virgin/stock DSDT files. Would it be possible for anyone to help me edit the DSDT so that I can get at least get Brightness Control and Battery Meter Working? Right now the laptop is barely usable in OSX because the brightness is at the lowest. Since the DSDT files are the stock, I was wondering if there is anyone that could help me edit it with the right fixes for my laptop! Ive tried various different combinations after editing my DSDT and nothing worked.

Link to files: https://www94.zippyshare.com/v/avHO3NP9/file.html
Link to files from "runme" app: https://www91.zippyshare.com/v/Nxf4jgvu/file.html

Any help provided will be appreciated...Thanks
Q

Edited by Quinzie XO

Hello Allan!

I do have ACPIBatteryManager.kext and if i use IntelBacklight then I get stuck on boot with an error along of the lines of "busy timeout, (60s), : 'PEG0'". I have tried to patch the DSDT but failed. If i understand right, ACPIBatteryManager.kext needs DSDT edits to work? same goes for IntelBacklight?

EDIT: I tried to edit my stock DSDT using MacIASL again and i applied the battery patch for Asus Q550LF from @RehabMan Repo! I also applied the AsusFNkey DSDT patch. Now the battery meter pops up when i unplug the laptop. If i plug the charger back in, then the battery meter stays but does not update to show that the charger has been plugged in. Ive attached the DSDT below..

DSDT.aml.zip

Edited by Quinzie XO
DSDT Edit Update

8 hours ago, artur_pt said:

hello

try this one

DSDT.aml.zip

for graphics and backlight are needed ssdt files

good hack

Hello artur_pt,

What changes did you make and also I have a new DSDT that I have uploaded (V0.2), maybe we can work with that?

Thanks,

Q

3 hours ago, Allan said:

Use this SSDT-DGPU to disable your Nvidia card.SSDT-DGPU.aml.zip

Please re-upload your RunMe file result using another service, like Google Drive or DropBox. I can't donwload your files in Zipshare :( 

Hello Allan,

Below is the link to my EFI Folder and i ran another debug tool created by "black.dragon74",  but i have attached the output from that tool as it also takes the copy of my IOREG. Please note that, this download is considered "V0.2" because I have used my own DSDT that i have managed to patch with the fixes below:

- Asus G75VW Battery Patch (supposed to work on Asus Q550LF)

- SMBUS Fix

- Fix _WAK Arg0 V2

- Fix Mutex

- Fix Parseop

- Added EMIyDinEsH Patch for AsusFN keys.

-Add IMEI

-Add MCHC

With the above fixes, I have keyboard backlight working along with the fn+F3, fn+F4 working to increase/reduce keyboard backlight. Also the battery meter now works if i unplug the laptop. But if i plug it back in then that change is not registered and the battery meter doesnt update in the menu bar. The battery is meter does not show unti li do not unplug the laptop so i am assuming DSDT needs more fixing. No screen brightness/slider and DGPU still seems active(powered on).

Also the SSDT-DGPU you provided, i renamed it to SSDT.aml and dropped it in the same folder with my DSDT.aml, is this right? because now when i boot, i can still see the Nvidia card from my "system report" and systems temps are high 60 celcius so im assuming its not working?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GsUReWE5cmWyN7ClyZkkNmsynUBTk6pK

Thank you all

Edited by Quinzie XO

On 4/24/2018 at 2:06 PM, Quinzie XO said:

Also the SSDT-DGPU you provided, i renamed it to SSDT.aml and dropped it in the same folder with my DSDT.aml, is this right? because now when i boot, i can still see the Nvidia card from my "system report" and systems temps are high 60 celcius so im assuming its not working?

Try using this SSDT without changing the name, it's not necessary rename it, Clover knows that it is, and what is does in the system.

Also use DropOEM  as true:

<key>DropOem</key>
<true/>

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Allan said:

Try using this SSDT without changing the name, it's not necessary rename it, Clover knows that it is, and what is does in the system.

Also use DropOEM  as true:

<key>DropOem</key>
<true/>

I did try that just now but it seems like the card is still active as it still shows up in system report! I have managed to get the battery meter working but as i said it works only when i unplug/plug the ac adapter. I have to do this once then the meter functions properly.

Screen Shot 2018-04-25 at 1.24.35 PM.png

After copying that EFI folder, Nvidia is still there and Intel GFX detected as 3MB. So i assuming the changes you applied got applied to the internal card and not dGPU. One step at a time as you said :)

12 minutes ago, Allan said:

Let's focus in your dGPU, after you can fix that, you'll be able to care about all battery stuffs.

Test this folder: https://www.dropbox.com/s/f2hrlwta8d3c1tf/EFI.zip?dl=0

1263678448_ScreenShot2018-04-25at2_05_30PM.thumb.png.0673b8ad92e24a01470ad397dae5dc4d.png