i9-7900X, i7-7820X and i7-8700K based Hackintosh

5 posts in this topic

Hello, I need some advice on building a powerful Hackintosh workstation with 1-2 Nvidia 1080 Ti GPU that can also run Windows and Linux. It looks like there have been successes in building Hackintosh systems based on any of these CPUs. Do they all run well without compatibility issue?

Edited by hackintosh_builder

I see no one is welling to answer and I understand why, all those hardware you mentioned run WITH compatibility issue not without because non of them is officially supported from Apple.

Yes, as you said they can run but they need a lot of work and effort to make them run, any small OS update can affect your system and you'll need to work on it again.. So that is against what you said ''Do they all run well without compatibility issue?''

Another issue, you need a workstation Hackintosh which means you want to run professional MacOS applications, I got to say macOS doesn't like GTX 1080 Ti and any GTX for GPU, even if its very powerful gaming card still macOS is not about gaming and will benefit nothing from CUDA.

For a workstation on macOS you need a compatible AMD GPU because thats what Apple supports to accelerate their professional applications. I can say a RX 480 would be faster than GTX 1080Ti to run Apple professional apps let say FCPX, Motion, Compressor and etc, it is also more compatible with all other Apps in general, GTX card and Nvidia Webdriver are very buggy from my experience when used GTX 970, 980 Ti in the past.

About CPU an i7 8700K is easier to install but it still not officially supported.

Im not here to change your mind about hardware, you can still go with Nvidia if you like it, I'm just about telling you the truth I learned from my experience with Hackintosh hardware and Apple MacOS.

I run a absolutely stable x99 system with i7 5960k processor at 4.4 Ghz, Radeon 580, for sophisticated professional purposes. No hassle at all, no crashes or whatever.

i think the same is possible with a x299 system. There is a huge thread at tomatoes "How to build your own iMac Pro" which coveres eyery aspect of x299.

Since 10.13.4 and new Nvidia Drivers things seem to be better with Nvidia cards, but still AMD cards are more compatible.

I have been a Mac user for a long time. I have been using triple boots (Windows, Mac and Linux) on MBP for over 10 years The reason I am moving to Hackintosh is that Apple decided not to use Nvidia GPU in future system and it is planning to ditch Intel CPU. I see troubles coming.

I can understand that Nvidia GPUs are not well support since Apple does not support it. However, I have seen users posting success stories in using the 1080Ti and the CPUs listed. The problem is to find a user with all the components I intend to use with detailed step-by-step setup guide.

2 hours ago, apfelnico said:

That should work, I also have such a system.

Thanks. For your i9-7900X system, is there a reason to use Asus Prime X299-Deluxe perhaps for compatibility reason? Is this motherboard fully compatible with Hackintosh? Have you tried using 2x1080Ti on this system?