AceMcLoven

XFX R9 280X Black Edition,z87x-ud7-th with i7-4770k CPU Sierra Freeze and reboot.

145 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, ammoune78 said:

Can you try to add wathevergreen kext and untick LoadVBios from Graphics in the config, also you can add RadeonDeInit!

How do I add RadeonDelnit? 

I did try WhateverGreen without LoadVbios checked and it's not working for me. 

Advertisement

You can use clover configurator to open the config.plist and under the graphic section there's a RadeonDeInit flag or open the config.plist and add the following code to under the Graphics section:

<dict>
        <key>RadeonDeInit</key>
        <true/>
    </dict>

You might need to update your clover to the latest version because RadeonDeInit won't work in clover revisions prior to 4296 if I remember correctly.

Screen Shot 2018-04-26 at 9.08.24 PM.png

@AceMcLoven

R9 270X and R9 280X don't need anything to work in a Hackintosh, I have a MSI R9 270X and it works 100% OOB without any injection or selecting the framebuffer if I set InjectATI=True or select a framebuffer Futomaki it will go to black screen. Don't inject anything in the Graphics section. You don't even need the RadeonDeInit either, just make sure that the CSM is disabled in BIOS/UEFI.

I've been using HDMI and DP ports and both work ok.

Edited by Cyberdevs

10 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

@AceMcLoven

R9 270X and R9 280X don't need anything to work in a Hackintosh, I have a MSI R9 270X and it works 100% OOB without any injection or selecting the framebuffer if I set InjectATI=True or select a framebuffer Futomaki it will go to black screen. Don't inject anything in the Graphics section. You don't even need the RadeonDeInit either, just make sure that the CSM is disabled in BIOS/UEFI.

I had it working without any kext or inject when I installed sierra but my Geekbench scores where low and had some video playback issues. I'll try giving it a shot again without any frame buffers or kext and see if I can get it to work. 

Also do you know if my MB has CSM? I don't see it on the MB website. 

24 minutes ago, AceMcLoven said:

I had it working without any kext or inject when I installed sierra but my Geekbench scores where low and had some video playback issues. I'll try giving it a shot again without any frame buffers or kext and see if I can get it to work. 

Also do you know if my MB has CSM? I don't see it on the MB website. 

I believe it has CSM support when it's on UEFI mode, in legacy booting it won't be enabled.

Can you send me some screenshots of your BIOS? I'm not familiar with the BIOS of your mainboard so I can't say for sure.

Strange that thing about without Inject or framebuffer, with my SAPPHIRE TOXIC R9 280X i have to use Hamachi and Inject ATI, so i don't have black screen or whatever else. For sure i'll try it when i'll go home, but i guess you do some cosmetic patch to DSDT/SSDT

2 minutes ago, ammoune78 said:

Strange that thing about without Inject or framebuffer, with my SAPPHIRE TOXIC R9 280X i have to use Hamachi and Inject ATI, so i don't have black screen or whatever else. For sure i'll try it when i'll go home, but i guess you do some cosmetic patch to DSDT/SSDT

Without any injection the GPU will be detected as AMD 7xxx Series which is because of the AMD Radeon default Framebuffer and as you mentioned it is only cosmetic and I use clover's on the fly patch to correct the name, you can achieve the same goal by using a patched DSDT/SSDT or by using the WhateverGreen.

Although using WEG has it's benefits such as fixing the sleep/wake issue and the correct connectors management.

3 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

Without any injection the GPU will be detected as AMD 7xxx Series which is because of the AMD Radeon default Framebuffer and as you mentioned it is only cosmetic and I use clover's on the fly patch to correct the name, you can achieve the same goal by using a patched DSDT/SSDT or by using the WhateverGreen.

Although using WEG has it's benefits such as fixing the sleep/wake issue and the correct connectors management.

When I get home from work I'll take pic of my bios and upload my files so you guys can verify I'm dong things correctly if thats okay? 

Getting to the point of just buying a new hardware that are more compatible so I can get high sierra running. Needed for my music and video production. 

1 minute ago, AceMcLoven said:

When I get home from work I'll take pic of my bios and upload my files so you guys can verify I'm dong things correctly if thats okay? 

Getting to the point of just buying a new hardware that are more compatible so I can get high sierra running. Needed for my music and video production. 

Don't bother with that I just downloaded the manual of your mainboard and it has CSM support:

But it can be useful if we cross check some items in your BIOS/UEFI settings to narrow down the issue.

I believe you can take screenshots of your BIOS by pressing the F12 key when your's in the BIOS but you ,might need to plug a USB disk or just select the EFI partition on your hard disks to store the screenshots.

Spoiler

• CSM Support
    Enables or disables UEFI CSM (Compatibility Support Module) to support a legacy PC boot process.Always Enables UEFI CSM. (Default)
    Never Disables UEFI CSM and supports UEFI BIOS boot process only.
    This item is configurable only when Windows 8 Features is set to Windows 8 or Windows 8 WHQL.

• &  Boot Mode Selection
    Allows you to select which type of operating system to boot.

UEFI and Legacy

Allows booting from operating systems that support legacy option ROM or UEFIoption ROM. (Default)
Allows booting from operating systems that only support legacy Option ROM. Allows booting from operating systems that only support UEFI Option ROM.

Legacy Only
UEFI Only
This item is configurable only when CSM Support is set to Always.

18 minutes ago, ammoune78 said:

The thing is setting up a hackintosh can be different even with the same hardware and specs. There are several factors that can complicate things and make the mileage vary from one user to another.

For example the BIOS revisions, the VBIOS revisions on the GPU, the manufacturers, The GPU being a reference card or having a custom PCB, BIOS settings themselves and so on and so forth.

16 minutes ago, AceMcLoven said:

I did flash the bios on the GPU to this one https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/155308/powercolor-r9280x-3072-140119

Was that a bad idea?

Is your GPU have dual BIOSes?

In general flashing the VBIOS on a GPU with the VBIOS form another vendor is not an ideal idea, specially if the clock and the frequencies are different. Have tried using the original VBIOS of your GPU? and why did you have to flash the bios in the first place? Sorry if you already answered that I need to know more about the original state of your GPU.

Edited by Cyberdevs

17 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

The thing is setting up a hackintosh can be different even with the same hardware and specs. There are several factors that can complicate things and make the mileage vary from one user to another.

For example the BIOS revisions, the VBIOS revisions on the GPU, the manufacturers, The GPU being a reference card or having a custom PCB, BIOS settings themselves and so on and so forth.

Yes i agree with what you said, what i did for my G-Card, i just contacted support of SAPPHIRE requesting a VBIOS, so they sended the latest one, and it do it's own job, never have had problem with that card on OS X, i just have some artifact while playing games for about 2 hours and up, but when playing most recent games, it do it definitely @ 20 minutes, and i don't know how to fix that problem 

9 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

Is your GPU have dual BIOSes?

In general flashing the VBIOS on a GPU with the VBIOS form another vendor is not an ideal idea, specially if the clock and the frequencies are different. Have tried using the original VBIOS of your GPU? and why did you have to flash the bios in the first place? Sorry if you already answered that I need to know more about the original state of your GPU.

It's an PowerColor and not XFX, take a look at the post that linked eBay, you'll see that it had a Mac EFI modded ROM for real Macs

15 minutes ago, ammoune78 said:

Yes i agree with what you said, what i did for my G-Card, i just contacted support of SAPPHIRE requesting a VBIOS, so they sended the latest one, and it do it's own job, never have had problem with that card on OS X, i just have some artifact while playing games for about 2 hours and up, but when playing most recent games, it do it definitely @ 20 minutes, and i don't know how to fix that problem 

Well the artifacts mostly happen due to a faulty VRAM and/or overheating and it's never a good sign. What you can do is to make sure that the GPU gets enough air to cool down or just change the game settings to lower resolution. I had an AMD R9 390X GPU which was a monster of a GPU but it had the same issues specially when I was playing games so I had to return it.

The question is if the artifacts happen only in macOS or they appear in windows as well? You can also check the thechowerup.com for the lates GPU VBIOS.

Addition:

To make the GPU run cooler you can change the thermal paste as well but you have to take apart the GPU and clean it very carefully and then re-apply a new thermal paste. It can be risky specially cleaning the old thermal paste which tents to Harden over time and if you're not careful while removing it you might accidentally damage the GPU Die or the VRAMs.

Edited by Cyberdevs

6 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

Well the artifacts mostly happen due to a faulty VRAM and/or overheating and it's never a good sign. What you can do is to make sure that the GPU gets enough air too cool or just change the game settings to lower resolution. I had an AMD R9 390X GPU which was a monster of a GPU but it had the same issues specially when I was playing games so I had to return it.

The question is if the artifacts happen only in macOS or they appear in windows as well? You can also check the thechowerup.com for the lates GPU VBIOS.

Addition:

To make the GPU run cooler you can change the thermal paste as well but you have to take apart the GPU and clean it very carefully and then re-apply a new thermal paste. It can be risky specially cleaning the old thermal paste which tents to Harden over time and if you're not careful while removing it you might accidentally damage the GPU Die or the VRAMs.

No, never have had problems or artifacts on OS X, it's just in windows and only while playing ROTTR or Just Cause III or COD, (Project Cars run well even if many hours of playing with all settings to Ultra)

For cleaning the GPU from the thermal paste, i need just the screw driver or do i need specific material, i can do it only if no specific material like the solder station or something else

1 minute ago, ammoune78 said:

No, never have had problems or artifacts on OS X, it's just in windows and only while playing ROTTR or Just Cause III or COD, (Project Cars run well even if many hours of playing with all settings to Ultra)

For cleaning the GPU from the thermal paste, i need just the screw driver or do i need specific material, i can do it only if no specific material like the solder station or something else

Usually a Philips screw driver will suffice, no soldering is require unless you yank out the GPU die accidentally :D

You can also use rubbing alcohol with a pice of a cotton cloth to clean the old thermal paste. There are plenty of guides on youtube that you can check before performing the disassembly of your GPU. doing that will void your guarantee if it's still valid for your card, just be careful when you want to remove the heatsink. Disconnect all the cables gently and then remove the heatsink, if it doesn't come out gently you might need to check for more screws to unscrew then remove the thermal paste from the GPU die and the heatsink itself and apply the new thermal paste and re-assmble the heatsink.

Just one more thing to consider is the ESD (Electrostatic Discharge) in your body. You need to release it before touching the PCB of your GPU and the VRAMs.

I've a question, the guy in this video had just unscrewed screws and the PCB was released easily from the heatsink, i guess this not the first time for him, so the manufacturer thermal paste can be easily released or not, i mean while disassembling the PCB from heatsink?

Thanks for your intuitional comments Cyberdevs :thumbsup_anim:  , i'm going to give it a try this night or tomorrow, hope to fix these artifacts and play games without to be stopped, yeah, hopefully if it will work.

43 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

Usually a Philips screw driver will suffice, no soldering is require unless you yank out the GPU die accidentally :D

You can also use rubbing alcohol with a pice of a cotton cloth to clean the old thermal paste. There are plenty of guides on youtube that you can check before performing the disassembly of your GPU. doing that will void your guarantee if it's still valid for your card, just be careful when you want to remove the heatsink. Disconnect all the cables gently and then remove the heatsink, if it doesn't come out gently you might need to check for more screws to unscrew then remove the thermal paste from the GPU die and the heatsink itself and apply the new thermal paste and re-assmble the heatsink.

Just one more thing to consider is the ESD (Electrostatic Discharge) in your body. You need to release it before touching the PCB of your GPU and the VRAMs.

I forgot the most important part hhh :D , CPU Thermal paste is enough to go for or should i need specific one?

Just now, ammoune78 said:

I forgot the most important part hhh :D , CPU Thermal paste is enough to go for or should i need specific one?

Yeah that will suffice but you can also apply thermal pads to the VRAMs of the GPU.

check this link. These are the best thermal compounds out there.

2 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

Yeah that will suffice but you can also apply thermal pads to the VRAMs of the GPU.

check this link. These are the best thermal compounds out there.

I've a CoolerMaster gotten from CPU Cooler, how about my first question while disassembling PCB from Heatsink, for the first time?

I've bout that card with this problem on, new and without original package for about 86$, if this problem will be fixed, it will be a good deal hhh

3 minutes ago, ammoune78 said:

I've a CoolerMaster gotten from CPU Cooler, how about my first question while disassembling PCB from Heatsink, for the first time?

I've bout that card with this problem on, new and without original package for about 86$, if this problem will be fixed, it will be a good deal hhh

I'm sorry I don't know which question you are exactly referring to. Can you please be more specific?

CoolerMaster is one of my favorite brands and they make excellent products including the thermal pastes. MasterGel is what I use in all my rigs and on all the PCs I build for my customers.

The only thing that you need to know about the thermal pastes is that they can go bad even in the tubes or syringe. To make sure if they are still good just check that they don't have an oily substance when you try to apply them if so just remove the oily substance and then apply the paste itself. if they have a runny feeling don't use them.

6 hours ago, Cyberdevs said:

@AceMcLoven

:D It worked hhh, but it's so slow, i mean booting up to login screen, it take too much time, going from losing screen to the Finder takes too much time, loading the things and settings take too much time and also clicking on app it will to. So here are screenshots from About this Mac and SSDT patch working with:

2120322844_GraphicsDisplays.png.34c9f6a2e8775b02f29c5b5bdb12f764.png

PCI.png.b0bda10931b41dfee122e2fdf7a7bd4f.png

Looking here, from the Name it says ATY,AMD,RadeonFramebuffer hhhh, is it the defaults one or because of the unknown framebuffer that have to be used for?

GFX0 Patch.png

Edited by ammoune78

So I removed all frame buffer, inject ATI and all kext like Lily and whatevergreen and I still get a black screen on boot up. I use -v flag and everything goes through and then when it looks like it's going to show something it just goes black. 

config.plist

kexts

afaik, you still need whatever green and lillu, click on plugin type on the Botton in the right corner of clover configurator, also do renaming GFX0 TO IGPU and PEGP to GFX0 to let macOS to load thing properly and H_EC to EC for USB devices, you should click on -xcpm also in boot args, if you have memory card that support amp you should select it also there. These are the basic things to go with ^_^ :hammer: :D !

2 hours ago, AceMcLoven said:

do I manually input PEGP to GFX0 and H_EC to EC ? I don't see it in the list of patches. 

You can find them in the config plist I've already uploaded in earlier posts 

<key>Patches</key>

<array>

<dict>

<key>Comment</key>

<string>change H_EC to EC</string>

<key>Disabled</key>

<false/>

<key>Find</key>

<data>

SF9FQw==

</data>