InsanelyMac Forum
AceMcLoven

XFX R9 280X Black Edition,z87x-ud7-th with i7-4770k CPU Sierra Freeze and reboot.

Thank you for explaining it to me. I'm still trying to grasp my head around everything that goes into getting this machine working. I will give this a try and report back in a bit. 

Advertisement

As you can see in my signature i've the same chipset and graphics card, it works well, no prob here, sleep and everything works!

There's also Ozmosis, that work from inside the BIOS, if you're not familiar with tweaking something at every clover update, so you can put it in the bios with some required files and forget tweaking, just install macOS and play as or like you have a real Mac!

Edited by ammoune78

4 minutes ago, ammoune78 said:

As you can see in my signature i've the same chipset and graphics card, it works well, no prob here, sleep and everything works!

There's also Ozmosis, that work from inside the BIOS, if you're not familiar with tweaking something at every clover update, so you can put it in the bios with some required files and forget tweaking, just install macOS and play as or like you have a real Mac!

oH I'm really interested to learn more about this Ozmosis. I'm going to google It now. I tried the stuff you suggested and when trying to play my video file it freezes loading. 

Just now, AceMcLoven said:

oH I'm really interested to learn more about this Ozmosis. I'm going to google It now. I tried the stuff you suggested and when trying to play my video file it freezes loading. 

Isn't that Video card problem? Can you flash it with original bios rom?

Ozmosis is here on insanelymac,  in Home>OSx86 Project>Developpers Corner>Bootloaders>Ozmosis>Ozmosis

I think the card is already flashed to work with OS X it detects and shows fine. I think this has to do with something else in my system thats causing this issue. If my graphic cards had issues my performance in geek bench should still be high right? 

i didn't got what you meant by: flashed to work with OS X, you used a modded rom to work for real mac on OS X? Or the original rom do not allows your graphics card to work with OS X?

Because as far as i know the R9 280X works OOB on OS X, just need the propper framebuffer and some cosmetic dsdt patch or modifying the framebuffer!

Ok, the original ROM of the R9 280X should work as is without any kind of flash, that means it will work Out Of the Box, but you'll still have some ports not working, usually 1 or 2 ports!

Now if you flashed your card with a modded ROM for OS X, it means, that the modded ROM will work for real Macs, like a Mac Pro 5,1 for exemple, but if it's what you did for your card, it will explain the freezes that you have, because that rom emulate EFI rom of the real Mac AMD cards.

But in the case you just flashed a ROM that you downloaded from techpowerup for exemple,  it should work without any freeze if that rom is the propper one for your card!

Ok now i see whats the problem maybe, just reflash the card with original ROM and copy your modded bios in ROM folder of clover and click on Load VBios in clover configurator,  to allow clover loading it during the boot process, and do nvram reset from terminal:

nvram -c

and from clover boot menu by pressing:

Win + Alt + P + R

57 minutes ago, ammoune78 said:

Ok now i see whats the problem maybe, just reflash the card with original ROM and copy your modded bios in ROM folder of clover and click on Load VBios in clover configurator,  to allow clover loading it during the boot process, and do nvram reset from terminal:

nvram -c

and from clover boot menu by pressing:

Win + Alt + P + R

I'm going to need windows to refresh it right?  I haven't flashed it yet. I got it off eBay here is the link. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Radeon-R9-280X-3GB-Video-Card-for-Apple-Mac-Pro-The-7950s-Big-Brother/332365656667?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I haven't flashed the bios of the gpu since I got it. How can I check if it has original ROM 

Aaaah that's what i suspected, no, this is an PowerColor R9 280X TurboDuo modded for Mac Pro, so it will work good enough on real Mac!

You can still sell it as is on eBay, and then go for another one that work good with our hack= Option

I didn't found a link from PowerColor support for that card, but usually you can:

- Contact powercolor technical support to send you the new ROM for that card, this is the best option if you don't want to sell it.

- Go to techpowerup, and download the ROM for your card or go directly there from here:  Powercolor R9 280X 3 GB BIOS (TurboDuo)

Note: you don't need to do the last things i said in the previous message just flash it with original ROM and you should be fine! 

31 minutes ago, AceMcLoven said:

I'm going to need windows to refresh it right?  I haven't flashed it yet. I got it off eBay here is the link. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Radeon-R9-280X-3GB-Video-Card-for-Apple-Mac-Pro-The-7950s-Big-Brother/332365656667?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I haven't flashed the bios of the gpu since I got it. How can I check if it has original ROM 

To know that download the AMD/ATI ATIFlash Tool for sure you need windows for flashing and dumping, then make a dump of the current ROM, now download Hex Fiend or any hex editor and compare the two rom's, then you'll find that the modded rom have some lines of apple's efi.

But you don't need to waste your time for that, surely it's a modded rom that will make some problems on normal PC's and not on real mac, i already tried that on my sapphire, it didn't work well as expected.

4 minutes ago, ammoune78 said:

To know that download the AMD/ATI ATIFlash Tool for sure you need windows for flashing and dumping, then make a dump of the current ROM, now download Hex Fiend or any hex editor and compare the two rom's, then you'll find that the modded rom have some lines of apple's efi.

But you don't need to waste your time for that, surely it's a modded rom that will make some problems on normal PC's and not on real mac, i already tried that on my sapphire, it didn't work well as expected.

Oh okay so should I still go ahead with your first suggestion then? 

3 hours ago, ammoune78 said:

Isn't that Video card problem? Can you flash it with original bios rom?

Yes, that's it, just flash your card with original rom, if worked, the best thing is to contact powercolor support, they will send you the Original Updated ROM! You should be fine after

28 minutes ago, ammoune78 said:

Aaaah that's what i suspected, no, this is an PowerColor R9 280X TurboDuo modded for Mac Pro, so it will work good enough on real Mac!

You can still sell it as is on eBay, and then go for another one that work good with our hack= Option

I didn't found a link from PowerColor support for that card, but usually you can:

- Contact powercolor technical support to send you the new ROM for that card, this is the best option if you don't want to sell it.

- Go to techpowerup, and download the ROM for your card or go directly there from here:  Powercolor R9 280X 3 GB BIOS (TurboDuo)

Note: you don't need to do the last things i said in the previous message just flash it with original ROM and you should be fine! 

Just read this message, seems I skipped it earlier but I'll download that ROM and flash it and report back maybe in a few days. Need to make a windows install disk and install windows on my machine.  

You think this will solve all the issues of my system and scores being low? 

2 minutes ago, AceMcLoven said:

Just read this message, seems I skipped it earlier but I'll download that ROM and flash it and report back maybe in a few days. Need to make a windows install disk and install windows on my machine.  

You think this will solve all the issues of my system and scores being low? 

Yep :yes: ^_^

On 4/24/2018 at 2:17 PM, ammoune78 said:

Hey hows it going?  So I flashed the cards bios and know I was able to install high sierra. Doing a fresh install and after install I get a black screen but my machine sounds like its on. Do you know how to fix this issue? 

Good thanks, i guess you no with that card hhh :D !

AMD graphic cards are known with that problem, so you should use the Hamachi or Futomaki as framebuffer, this is going to be the first step, if you still have that issue add RadeonDeInit in config with the help of Clover Configurator

Hahahaha.. right. Man this card is going to make me loose my mind. Funny thing is I had tried a XFX version before this one and a GTX 780 TI that both couldn't get to work correctly. :wallbash:. Hope I can get this to work. I was reading on another forum about flashing it with a 7970 ROM. DO you know anything about that? 

I'm going to give that frame buffer a try .