WarDoc

intel hades canyon nuc nuc8i7hvk

43 posts in this topic

Advertisement

It’s really a attractive device. Six cores would be even better. LOL  Curious to see if anyone succeeds hackintoshing with it.

Hope it works, it may take a little work to get PCI /CPU configuration working.   I tested a Ryzen 2200g with Vega igpu but the best I could get was Kaby lake framebuffer support with no accelerators.   Had to spoof the kexts.    The ryzen relies on DDR4 ram though and this NUC has HBM2 on the chip so it may work out well.    

Definitely something to watch this will be a powerful Mac mini if Apple uses the chip.

On 3/29/2018 at 1:56 PM, WarDoc said:

So is anyone planning on getting this to Hack it as its the perfect mix of intel and amd in the perfect size 

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3267074/computers/intel-hades-canyon-nuc-nuc8i7hvk-review.html 

I picked one up last night and tested.   The graphics are not native in HS 13.5 beta 3 and I added real ID to all the vega kexts but no go.    Display 7mb.    

ATI ID 0x694E1002

Intel CPUID 0x0906E9.   I used ig platform ID and got HD 630 listed but no VRAM allocation.    I will test further this weekend.

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Allan said:

My dreams are gone...:(

Mine too!    So far no luck and about the same performance as the AMD Ryzen 2200g and 2400g models.    

Vega kexts have 0x69AO and 69AF but using fake ID doesn't take either.

Screen Shot 2018-05-12 at 2.59.15 PM.png

Edited by Gigamaxx

Posted (edited)

I think that we have to wait until apple uses this combo in one of his products, because currently all the vega graphics cards which are not based on the vega 56 or vega 64 will have no chance to work (at least if we do not make a reverse enegneering of the driver and then we create a lilu plugin to mod it, but this would not happen so easily), but if you manage to make thunderbolt 3 to work you can use an external graphics card, which is always some progress and also makes you able to start to use it as an hackintosh.

For the macs, maybe during the wwdc apple will announce new macs with this kind of cpu and graphics combo. For me the computers which will most likely get this update are lower end imacs and the 15'' macbook pros, because their form factor is the best for this chips. i hope that it will make his way into the mac mini as well, making the mac mini more competitive in the market.

I hope also that apple did use the same implementation used in pcs for those chips in their new products to make our hackintoshers life easyer.

Edited by ITzTravelInTime

Apple does list 13 different device IDs for Vega in the latest 13.5 betas.   HS 13.3 has only 9 but that is a lot of IDs for the Vega cards there must be some new ones in the making that we will have to wait for.     We have Vega Frontier, Vega 64, Vega 56, and W9100 but that only accounts for 4 of them.     This Nuc vega ID is close 0x694E1002 to the 2 newest Apple IDs added recently of 0X69AO1002 AND 0X69AF1002 so  maybe they are planning a special combo chip with Intel for this.    

yes, and i hope that you can get to work this nuc graphics using a fakeid or something, and also do try the beta as well, maybe with a fakeid in clover and with the beta it is going to work

14 hours ago, ITzTravelInTime said:

yes, and i hope that you can get to work this nuc graphics using a fakeid or something, and also do try the beta as well, maybe with a fakeid in clover and with the beta it is going to work

I'm in Beta 13.5 version 5 which has the new 0x69AO and 0x69AF IDs but no luck, also added real 0x694E to kexts but no luck.   Nothing takes so far, no loading, and I also tried forcing kexts to load but no luck.

On 5/16/2018 at 6:57 AM, Gigamaxx said:

I'm in Beta 13.5 version 5 which has the new 0x69AO and 0x69AF IDs but no luck, also added real 0x694E to kexts but no luck.   Nothing takes so far, no loading, and I also tried forcing kexts to load but no luck.

also note that many kexts does check the id of the card inside the code, so there will be no luck with info.plist mod, the only effective thisng will be using a fake id from a kext or from clover, for example with the kx audio driver kexts mod i did there is a pciid check inside the code, which will make an info.plist mod not effective if a fakeid is not used or a clover patch to edit some parts of the code, for open source drivers, luckly you can mod the code and compile a modded version

2 hours ago, ITzTravelInTime said:

also note that many kexts does check the id of the card inside the code, so there will be no luck with info.plist mod, the only effective thisng will be using a fake id from a kext or from clover, for example with the kx audio driver kexts mod i did there is a pciid check inside the code, which will make an info.plist mod not effective if a fakeid is not used or a clover patch to edit some parts of the code, for open source drivers, luckly you can mod the code and compile a modded version

FakePCIID.kext (and appropriate injector) can be used to spoof PCI IDs if needed...

1 hour ago, RehabMan said:

FakePCIID.kext (and appropriate injector) can be used to spoof PCI IDs if needed...

oh yes that will be great too, can you create quickly an injector kext for fakepciid just to see if this graphics will work with the fake id of the beta? note that there are 2 possible ids, so 2 injectors are needed, to try if using one of the 2 ids will work

If you guys can come up with these that would be great I can test tonight.   I did try gakepciid and Intel graphics fix up with 15DD1002 for my Ryzen 240@g but not with the NUC.

It seems the most likely fix would be the 0x69AO1002 or 0x69AF1002 IDs.    Any help would be much appreciated.

8 minutes ago, Gigamaxx said:

If you guys can come up with these that would be great I can test tonight.   I did try gakepciid and Intel graphics fix up with 15DD1002 for my Ryzen 240@g but not with the NUC.

It seems the most likely fix would be the 0x69AO1002 or 0x69AF1002 IDs.    Any help would be much appreciated.

for the ryzen system i think you have to wait for the final release and for the kernel for this version and then try the fake id, but i do not think that it's going to work, because the gfx processor of the ryzen uses system memory, so the driver works a lot differently respect to the nuc which has it's own memory for the vega chip, but this depends on which kind of apu/vega graphcis apple has decided to use

2 minutes ago, ITzTravelInTime said:

for the ryzen system i think you have to wait for the final release and for the kernel for this version and then try the fake id, but i do not think that it's going to work, because the gfx processor of the ryzen uses system memory, so the driver works a lot differently respect to the nuc which has it's own memory for the vega chip, but this depends on which kind of apu/vega graphcis apple has decided to use

The strange thing is that with the Ryzen I am able to load intelKBL framebuffers 3 of them but no accelerators using info.plist edits.    It only works with KBL no other Intel Kexts.    With the NUC no matter what I’ve tried the intel framebuffers won’t load but I think it is because intel disabled part of the graphics and only use it for quicksynch or other uses.

17 minutes ago, Gigamaxx said:

The strange thing is that with the Ryzen I am able to load intelKBL framebuffers 3 of them but no accelerators using info.plist edits.    It only works with KBL no other Intel Kexts.    With the NUC no matter what I’ve tried the intel framebuffers won’t load but I think it is because intel disabled part of the graphics and only use it for quicksynch or other uses.

this probabli happens because the graphics in the apu work more like the intel hd rather than the vga graphics in the nuc which is more like a dedicated graphics card

2 minutes ago, ITzTravelInTime said:

this probabli happens because the graphics in the apu work more like the intel hd rather than the vga graphics in the nuc which is more like a dedicated graphics card

Exactly they use the DDR4.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, RehabMan said:

RehabMan can you tell me how to create an injector kext for fakepciid or can you create a couple of those to see if the vega gpu of the nuc will work using the new pciids for vega introduced into the system driver of 10.13.5 beta?

Edited by ITzTravelInTime

21 minutes ago, ITzTravelInTime said:

RehabMan can you tell me how to create an injector kext for fakepciid or can you create a couple of those to see if the vega gpu of the nuc will work using the new pciids for vega introduced into the system driver of 10.13.5 beta?

Look at the examples in the repo...  You can see how FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics.kext works just by looking at the Info.plist in Xcode.

35 minutes ago, Gigamaxx said:

Exactly they use the DDR4.

Gigamaxx i need some info abou the ids of the vega card of the nuc, can you give me a screenoshot of the pci list of dpci manager? and also something from the graphics page of system information will be helfoul, will try to just build an injector kext using the fakepciid for intel hd graphics as a template

26 minutes ago, RehabMan said:

Look at the examples in the repo...  You can see how FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics.kext works just by looking at the Info.plist in Xcode.

how do i calculate the value of RM,device-id of the fake properties? i need the base 64 value to put into the .plist xml text manually, i need it for this id 0X69AO1002 and this one 0X69AF1002, which are the new ones introduced by apple and i will prepare 2 different kexts because we can try only one id at a time so we have to test both and i will also put also the id of the apu in the pci match just for testing puposes, but vega drivers from 10.13.5 beta are needed to try it

I also need to calculate values for the pci class match (i do not know if 0x03000000&0xff000000 will work) and i do not know how to calculate the correcte io proble score and i also need to inject the vedor and subvendor, because according to the screenshots gigamaxx pubbliched into another thread, this vega card has intel as subvendor so we need to fix that if the simple changement of the pciid does not seems to work, so i need to calculate the values of the vendor and subvendor for the base 64 format used in the fake properties in the info.plist