Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vrondena

Qualcomm Gobi 2000 how replace

15 posts in this topic

hello all, i have on my sony vaio vpcs13v9e to replace wifi Gobi 2000 but do not know what.my hack is very complete like original mac.

Advertisement
Posted (edited)

Gobi 2000 is a WWAN (3G) module not a wifi/WLAN card. Don't confuse the 2 x technologies...

If you want to replace it to get a different WWAN module, you may look here for some potential alternatives.

If it's a WLAN card you're after, look here.

Edited by Hervé

Thanks for the reply

I would like to know if possible to replace hardware WWAN Gobi 2000 with wifi/wlan AzureWave AW-NB048H  Min PCIe or similar (Atheros  AR5B195 )

because wwan module it's bigger as a card 

regards

Posted (edited)

Ok, so you want to remove the WWAN mini-PCIe module out if its WWAN slot and insert a 1/2-size mini-PCIe WLAN card instead, right? You can of course do that. You'll just need a 1/2 size to full size bracket/adapter to lock the smaller card into the slot. You'll find those at the usual on-line shops.

bracket.jpg.981c3ff36ae46c09852f8ce14f4f4de2.jpg

Here's one I have in one of my laptops:

IMG_0856.jpg.61fede4ddcdecb041cfddd4de99e6645.jpg

Edited by Hervé

ok, i replace module with BCM94322HM8L but hardware don't enable and don't see module and dcpimanager and system info also with DW1500 module. any help

Posted (edited)

Make sure your WWAN/Cellular slot is not disabled in BIOS or by a switch of some sort (physical button or keyboard combination). See p167 here.

If you're not seeing the cards in DPCIManager, it means they're not detected in IOReg on the PCIe bus... So it has to be a PC BIOS settings or physical/electrical issue. Or the WWAN slot is only USB, but I'd be surprised since these slots are usually combo mini-PCIe+USB.

I can confirm that Broadcom BCM94322-based cards are supported OOB under OS X/macOS (Dell DW1510 pictured above is one of them). You can even flash them with Apple's subsystem ids so that they're detected an,d reported as Airport Extreme cards within OS X/macOS, not as 3rd party card.

DW1500 is not a good choice these days. It's based on old Broadcom BCM4321 chip which is unsupported since macOS Sierra.

Edited by Hervé

hi,now on Azurewave AW-NB290H  Bcm943225hmb have same missing hardware, i edit pci14e4;4357 on 4360kext- plugin.install all kext fake pic id ,fake wifi. same result with only toleda arptkext.

bluetooth work always ,wifi never 

if necessary help me with dsdt, ssdt and config.plist to edit i can not or support me.regards

Posted (edited)

I'd say you have a power issue with cards in that slot. Try taping pin20. You can Google for it.

Edited by Hervé

thanks for the support Hervè,now I'm going to try isolating pin20.now I have put back BCM94322 DW1510 .

I'm waiting for the support half size to full size. I have a little doubt about cable colors if properly positioned.

but also inverted does not change. no hardware wifi only bluetooth.

WP_20180330_14_31_01_Pro.jpg

Posted (edited)

DW1510/BCM4322 is a great little 802.11n/300Mbps card. The way you connect antenna wires does not matter at all.

To disable pin20, wrap the card connector in scotch tape and use a small cutter to keep only pin20 covered (on both sides of the card).

Edited by Hervé

I installed windows to check if brcm works. in the peripherals is intel centrino ??? maybe gobi2000 is not the card to be replaced. but I do not see any other network card. It can be

Posted (edited)

As I said, Gobi2000 is a WWAN card and is fitted into WWAN slot (normally combo mini-PCIe/USB). In that Sony model, there is also a WLAN card which I would expect to be fitted into a separate mini-PCIe slot. You'll have to look up your system's documentation to locate the WLAN slot. Maybe under the keyboard.

Good luck.

NB: Intel Centrino was a commercial naming; it meant Intel CPU + Intel integrated graphics + Intel wireless.

Edited by Hervé

finally resolved, the wlan card is in another position (under the wwan, you have to remove the base), inserted the brcm is recognized natively. now everything really works, spectacular

grazie mille Hervè

ps: now what do I do with vpsc13 I'm finished I have to take another pc, suggestions

Posted (edited)

If you don't know what to do with that Sony, give it to me ! :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by Hervé