Windows & macOS dual boot on different drives (OSInstall.mpgk missing/damaged)

mrHooty

5 posts in this topic

Hello,

I would like to dual boot macOS and Windows 10,but with both on its own drive. Is this possible? Currently I'm having a Samsung 960 EVO 500GB M.2 where Windows is installed on and also a  Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SATA SSD where macOS should be installed on.

Please don't mind me if this post is not complete: I'm very new to this scene and 

After using Glasgoods Guide (because I have similar hardware) my PC installs macOS from a USB drive onto the 500GB SSD, but why trying to do the "post install installation" (completing the installation by booting into the installation) I just get the error, that the file "/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpgk" (don't mind me if this isn't 100% correct) is damaged or doesn't exists. After doing a bit research I found out, that this can be caused by so damn much. Could this be the case because I'm having two hard drives? It doesn't have anything to do with that one .kext file in the driver64UEFI folder, because I don't even have it there. My MB time is also correct.

I've also tried booting back into the setup and then copying the Packages folder out of the InstallESD.dmg to my system by hand, but I didn't really knew where to place them. When loading the setup there's an image mounted with the name "OS X Base System" but 1) I'm not able to copy them there (because for some reason there is no space) and 2) it feels wrong.

In the following I've listed my components. Maybe this helps:

• CPU: Intel i7 8700k
  • MB: ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F GAMING
  • RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z (4x8GB)
  • GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX980
  • Drive 1: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB M.2: Windows sits here
  • Drive 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SATA: macOS should be installed here

To create my install stick I've used the latest High Sierra image from the App Store (downloaded about 6hrs ago) with Clover 2.4 r4411.

I kindly appreciate your help.

The above problem has been solved. I've just recreated the USB stick and reinstalled macOS from it but this time I've only used the drivers, kexts, the clover theme and the config.plist file from Glasgood. Installing now works. 

Just now, mrHooty said:

The above problem has been solved. I've just recreated the USB stick and reinstalled macOS from it but this time I've only used the drivers, kexts, the clover theme and the config.plist file from Glasgood. Installing now works. 

Unfortunately I cannot edit my posts (or at least I don't know how): I only used what I mentioned before, but everything else was clover default.

-----

Okey, I now have the issue that every time I login I see the desktop for a few seconds and then my computer reboots. This only happens when I login into my admin account. When I login into my guest account, this doesn't happen. Do you have any recommendations for me?

On 17/3/2018 at 8:28 PM, mrHooty said:

-----

Okey, I now have the issue that every time I login I see the desktop for a few seconds and then my computer reboots. This only happens when I login into my admin account. When I login into my guest account, this doesn't happen. Do you have any recommendations for me?

I'm also experiencing errors like yours. Who has a solution for us. Please

3 hours ago, mrsphale said:

I'm also experiencing errors like yours. Who has a solution for us. Please

I solved it by myself. Instead of any predefined config or a guide I did everything by myself and downloaded the needed kexts from here: http://hackintosher.com/kexts/

After configuring everything by myself nearly everything works fine. There are only two things not working fine: macOS is only detecting 16gb of ram, while I have 32gb installed. Also after waking my Hackintosh from standby, my sound is very quiet. To solve this, I just disabled the sleep mode. I don't care about it, because I don't need it.

• Like 1