Jump to content
MacPeet

[Guide] macOS High Sierra 10.13 - Dell Optiplex 780 (760) (755) (790) (990)

405 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

10.13.4 DP 5 running without issues on my 790 :)

1g0rJ7f.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement

Testing on my Spare ( Optiplex 790  PC especially for testing Beta with Web Drivers ) :) macOS High Siierra beta 5  // 10.13.4 (17E182a)

No issue all is great !

➡︎ Easy Web Drivers Patcher for the GeForce GT 1030

captu380.png

Edited by chris1111

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here also 10.13.4 DP Beta5 17E182a  works on 780.
Again rollback of the AppleHDA of 10.13.3. I still have to do research for the audio problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, MacPeet said:

Here also 10.13.4 DP Beta5 17E182a  works on 780.
Again rollback of the AppleHDA of 10.13.3. I still have to do research for the audio problem.

no issue AppleALC here for the Optiplex 790 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, all devices work well. Only Dell780 with AD1984A not since beta's ... 4.
I can not find a mistake.
Rollback of the AppleHDA of 10.13.3 and Lilu + AppleALC works well.
Original AppleHDA's of the beta's and Lilu + AppleALC only works with HDMI audio.
Something has changed in the AppleHDA's for analog devices.
790 has ALC269 - no problem
my ALC888 also no problems
only AD1984A has problems with new AppleHDA

Edit:
All set like's are no longer there with the new forum software. So again...

Edited by MacPeet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just updated my Optiplex 755 (AD1984) to 10.13.4 DP5.
No issues with sound whatsoever, no need to do a AppleHDA rollback.
 

klvPXTq.png

 

Edited by ricoc90

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I started with an Optiplex 760 a few years back, I think it was with Mountain Lion. Then I got an Optiplex 780, which is not a whole lot different, I think maybe just the chipset.

Now I have an Optiplex 790, and 990, and I would highly recommend to anyone just starting out to get a 790 or 990. 

With 790 SFF i5 cores going on eBay for about $110 US, I wouldn't be considering the older models myself. 

That's just my opinion. One thing to keep your older 755, 760 and 780's going, and maybe another if your just starting out.

Just a matter of personal choice, but I sold both my 780's and upgraded.

It's nice to have a little more CPU Power, and to not have to worry about rolling back kexts. :)

Edited by morpheousman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, morpheousman said:

I started with an Optiplex 760 a few years back, I think it was with Mountain Lion. Then I got an Optiplex 780, which is not a whole lot different, I think maybe just the chipset.

Now I have an Optiplex 790, and 990, and I would highly recommend to anyone just starting out to get a 790 or 990. 

With 790 SFF i5 cores going on eBay for about $110 US, I wouldn't be considering the older models myself. 

That's just my opinion. One thing to keep your older 750, 760 and 780's going, and maybe another if your just starting out.

Just a matter of personal choice, but I sold both my 780's and upgraded.

It's nice to have a little more CPU Power, and to not have to worry about rolling back kexts. :)

I totally agree with you, last week I buy another Dell Optiplex 790 with a CPU i3 2100 3.10Ghz, I buy it with only the CPU and nothing else I had for $ 60 Can. I use it for my Beta test and to do that I put my GeForce GT 1030 + 8 gig Ram Corsaire I am very happy now to have two Dell Optiplex. 790

For me this PC is the best compatible MacOS computer because you can run 10.6 to 10. 13 with a compatible Graphics card, What other computer can claim to be able to do this and have the same power as old iMac or Mac Pro :thumbsup_anim:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 790 has an i7 Core CPU, and I think I paid about $190 for that almost 2 years ago now. The HD5450 Graphics card was $20 after a $10 rebate. Throw in a Solid State Hard Drive, a nice 27" Monitor, and, according to a couple of my buddies, its every bit as functional as their iMacs. :)

I have about $450 in my 790 i7 Core, but wiithout the SSD, and getting the i5 core, which is still a fast CPU, you could put one together for about $300 - $350,  and thats including a decent monitor.

You can't beat that. :)

Edited by morpheousman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@morpheousman If I look at my sytems...

Optiplex 755

Spoiler

Stock specifications:
Core2Duo E6750
2GB RAM, 250GB HDD
No PCI GPU
Costs: $30

Upgrades:

  • CPU: $50
  • GPU: $45
  • RAM: $40
  • SSD: $60
  • WiFi: $20

Current specifications:

Core2Quad Q9550
8GB RAM, 128GB SSD
GT 710 GPU

Totals $245

Optiplex 790

Spoiler

Stock specifications:
Core i5-2400
4GB RAM, 320GB HDD
No PCI-E GPU
Costs: $160

Upgrades:

  • CPU: $60
  • GPU: $45
  • RAM: $30
  • SSD: $60
  • WiFi: $50

Current specifications:
Core i5-2500K
16GB RAM, 256GB SSD
GT 710 GPU

totals: $405

But in theory, it'd only have needed the GPU in order to run macOS,
so $220 total

But pushing an older system, like the 755, 760 and 780 to it's limits has its charms.
The 755 still runs very well on High Sierra, albeit a little slower than the 790 (obviously)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For new users is definitely a 790 or 990 better and more modern. Your arguments are good.
Not relevant to me. I have so many computers, MacPro, iMac ...
I have the 780 only for beta testing, I do not use it anymore.
However, it is fun to see how far it still works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DP 6 running fine on my 790. Updating the 755 now

NALfJme.png

EDIT:
755 Also running fine and again no audio issues.
ayCdfGY.png

Edited by ricoc90

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First of all thanks for the nice howto and all the hints.

I had some troubles installing High Sierra on my 780. With High Sierra I received the "OSInstall.mpkg damaged" error, with Sierra I had the "no signal/black screen" problem. Finally I removed my graphics card and install Sierra by using onboard graphics, which was good enough. After installing I updated directly to High Sierra without problems, inserted again my GT710 and it just worked. It could be a useful hint for beginners that struggle an NVIDIA card like I did ;-)

I also got working an Realtek 8191SU USB WLAN Dongle, a Creative USB sound card and a Bluetooth dongle.

The only thing that does not work is sleep and wake. If I send it to sleep the monitor goes black but the box keeps running. After a time I can hear that the HDD stops as well, but the box still runs. And of course I cannot wake it anymore.

Do you have any idea how I could fix this? Boot time is quite long but it would not bother me if sleep/wake worked.

Thanks in advance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Gaboro said:

First of all thanks for the nice howto and all the hints.

I had some troubles installing High Sierra on my 780. With High Sierra I received the "OSInstall.mpkg damaged" error, with Sierra I had the "no signal/black screen" problem. Finally I removed my graphics card and install Sierra by using onboard graphics, which was good enough. After installing I updated directly to High Sierra without problems, inserted again my GT710 and it just worked. It could be a useful hint for beginners that struggle an NVIDIA card like I did ;-)

I also got working an Realtek 8191SU USB WLAN Dongle, a Creative USB sound card and a Bluetooth dongle.

The only thing that does not work is sleep and wake. If I send it to sleep the monitor goes black but the box keeps running. After a time I can hear that the HDD stops as well, but the box still runs. And of course I cannot wake it anymore.

Do you have any idea how I could fix this? Boot time is quite long but it would not bother me if sleep/wake worked.

Thanks in advance

are you on HDMI ? Sleep and wake works here on my  Gigabyte GT 710  2 gig

Screen on HDMI Port

inject Nvidia = false

Edited by chris1111

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, chris1111 said:

are you on HDMI ? Sleep and wake works here on my  Gigabyte GT 710  2 gig

inject Nvidia = false

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm on HDMI as well and don't inject anything. 
Is it possible that it's because of the patched DSDT.aml I took from the howto? 
I mean that one: 

Quote

my_DSDT.aml.zip (my DSDT, optimized for Core2Quad, configured for HD5450 and Audio LayoutID 13 (0D) for AppleALC + Lilu. Additionally Framebuffer in the Clover is "Shrike" for the HD 5450)


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gaboro said:

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm on HDMI as well and don't inject anything. 
Is it possible that it's because of the patched DSDT.aml I took from the howto? 
I mean that one: 


 

That DSDT injects the AMD Radeon 5000 series.
Try this:

DSDT.zip

Edited by ricoc90

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/19/2018 at 1:07 PM, MacPeet said:

For new users is definitely a 790 or 990 better and more modern. Your arguments are good.
Not relevant to me. I have so many computers, MacPro, iMac ...
I have the 780 only for beta testing, I do not use it anymore.
However, it is fun to see how far it still works.

 

I just feel the Need For Speed. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, chris1111 said:

I mean  Inject Nvidia false in config.plist under Graphics

		<key>Inject</key>
		<dict>
			<key>ATI</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Intel</key>
			<false/>
			<key>NVidia</key>
			<false/>
		</dict>

Yes, it is false.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, ricoc90 said:

That DSDT injects the AMD Radeon 5000 series.
Try this:

DSDT.zip

Thanks, I tried your DSDT but it's still the same, it doesn't really want to go to sleep...
Apart from that, I don't know what the reason could be.
Do have any special settings in config.plist? Any special driver installed? I only installed the EmuVariableUefi-64, OsxAptioFixDrv-64 and PartitionDxe-64...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Gaboro said:

Thanks, I tried your DSDT but it's still the same, it doesn't really want to go to sleep...
Apart from that, I don't know what the reason could be.
Do have any special settings in config.plist? Any special driver installed? I only installed the EmuVariableUefi-64, OsxAptioFixDrv-64 and PartitionDxe-64...

I can sleep wake with or without DSDT thats not a problem here

post your config.plist here please

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, chris1111 said:

I can sleep wake with or without DSDT thats not a problem here

post your config.plist here please

So, here you go :-)

config.plist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By NoEnd
      Hi team,
       
      I have tried to update to security update 2019-001 multiple time with no luck, today I've booted the update with -verbose and attached videos shows the details.
       
      Appreciate your help
       
      Thanks
      Untitled.mov
    • By JhonneR
      Good morning, everyone, I'm sorry if I was wrong in choosing the topic but I need help.
      I have found it extremely difficult to mount a Hackintosh in my acer.
      Setup;
      I5 2430m 2.4 6GB RAM
      Mobo P5we0 - Intel intel Graphics 3000
      At the moment I have not found out what my audio codecs are.
      but I'll leave the link on the motherboard.
      however, my real problem is several.
      I have already used the itakos image, I have already used several images that could be installed normally and that after installing the image I do not have internet via cable or wireless.
      And another, I already looked in other forums and I know that I will be called a donkey in the logical question but I have not been able to install the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] or clover to start from the Hard Disk, so I do not know what to do.At the moment I still do not know if there has already been someone who has already installed the High Sierra or just the Sierra in this notebook model and obtained permanent success.
      If anyone can help me, I'll be grateful.
      Installations without success, but with the system already installed in ACER;
      SIERRA
      HIGH SIERRA
      MOJAVE
      All with the same symptom. Starting only by the bootable USB stick and without internet connection via cable and wireless.
      Appreciate ! Acer 5750 Official Page
    • By TheAngryYeti
      So I FINALLY got my High Sierra thumb drive to boot and once I got to the language selection screen, I noticed I lost all connectivity to my keyboard and mouse.
       
      i tried plugging in both into all of my USB ports (2.0, 3.0, 3.1) to no avail.
       
      i made sure I had the latest USBInject kext and XHCI-Unsupported kext in the Other folder.
       
      i also noticed whilst troubleshooting, the thumb drive will ONLY boot using Verbose and plugged into one of the 2 3.1 ports.
       
      does anyone have ANY suggestions?? I’ve been struggling for a week now on this!!
       
      thanks in advance
       
      -Sin
       
      Build: Asus ROG Strix H370-I, i5 8400, 32Gb ddr 4 2133, 1Tb Samsung EVO 860 ssd
    • By al3asdfmovie
      Buongiorno a tutti,
      E la prima volta che scrivo su questo forum, spero di non sbagliare nulla!
      Scrivo qua sperando che qualcuno di voi possa darmi una grossa mano, perchè ho letto di tutto, visto qualsiasi video possibile, ma non riesco proprio ad uscirne fuori.
      Ci avevo già provato 3 anni fa, ma ero riuscito solo su un notebook Sony, sul fisso non ero riuscito a fare nulla. Dicevano che c'erano problemi con i driver della serie Skylake, così ho voluto riprovare ora a distanza di anni.
      Premetto che non sono un informatico, non ho conoscenze particolari. Sono semplicemente un ragazzo che si informa, legge tutorial ed esegue, quindi chissà che la soluzione non sia in realtà una banale sciocchezza.
       
      Dunque, il problema consiste nel fatto che, in circa 8 ore di prove, non sia ancora riuscito ad andare oltre il caricamento del logo, dopo aver selezionato la chiavetta da clover.
      Sto cercando di installare High Sierra, ho provato con una chiavetta con un programma che non ho capito bene perchè, ma non posso scriverlo qui, e una con Clover Configurator (che tra l'altro, nella schermata boot mi da un'interfaccia diversa da quella che ho visto nel tutorial, o anche solo 3 anni prima), ma il problema è sempre lo stesso: dopo circa metà caricamento, o mi esce il simbolo di divieto, o si riavvia il computer, riportandomi nel boot di clover.
      Ho provato un po' di flags, come -v, -x, -s, -f, nv_disable=1 (tra l'altro, per evitare problemi al principio, ho impostato la scheda video di intel come primaria), cpus=1, dart=0, Slide=0, insomma, qualsiasi cosa leggessi in giro che avesse portato esiti positivi, la provavo
      Ho provato su porte sub 3.0, 2.0 e le 2.0 dietro al pc.
      Penso sia irrilevante, ma nel caso, sto usando una chiavetta da 32 gb.

      Nella firma dovrebbero esserci tutte le specifiche del mio PC, non so se debba postare altro. Nel caso scusatemi, ditemi pure cosa manca che la aggiorno.
      Spero davvero che qualcuno di voi possa aiutarmi. Ho un MacBook Air (High Sierra l'ho scaricato da qui) e ho scoperto quanto sia più affidabile usare Final Cut rispetto a quel bug chiamato Premiére Pro che ho usato per anni, e vorrei poterlo usare anche sul fisso, senza dover acquistare un iMac. Ho letto in giro che con Mojave non è supportata l'accelerazione grafica, per questo vorrei installare High Sierra.

      Grazie mille a chiunque vorrà aiutarmi!
    • By PixelLover
      I'm in the middle of my first hackintosh (High Sierra) on my ZenBook Pro UX501VW-US71 laptop using the Vanilla Install. I've tried using different config.plst files and I've gotten the furthest with RehabMan's own (linked here). It hangs at error message IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs 0, now 0, sm 0x0.   Can anyone help me figure out what changes to make to the config.plst file for my specific laptop (which is where I assume the problem lies)   System Specs: Intel Skylake Core i7­-6700HQ 2.6 GHz Quad­core
      Intel® HD Graphics 530 Nvidia GTX 960M 2G 15.6" Touch IPS 4K Ultra­-HD display, 3840 x 2160 resolution   Kexts: AppleALC.kext FakeSMC.kext Lilu.kext USBInjectAll.kext WhateverGreen.kext  
×