MacPeet

[Guide] macOS High Sierra 10.13 - Dell Optiplex 780 (760) (755) (790) (990)

595 posts in this topic

On 6/22/2019 at 4:33 PM, alfonzotan said:

I stumbled across this thread while idly wondering if the old Optiplex 760 in my dedicated MAME cabinet could be upgraded to something more modern (it's been running Snow Leopard for... well, for a quite a while).  Made several variations of the High Sierra, Yosemite and El Cap USB sticks following the guide in the original post and several different DSDTs from the thread, but none of them will boot into the OS X installer.  Going -v gives me nothing, just a long pause before the system restarts and takes me back to the Clover boot screen.  

Any suggestions?  With this many variations and no joy at the same error point, I'm reasonably sure I'm missing something obvious.  Not like this is life or death, but it'd be fun to see how the new HLSL vector effects look...

Post your specs.... 

CPU, Graphics Card, etc.  Many things have changed since Snow Leopard. 760 will run Sierra, or High Sierra.

Advertisement
13 hours ago, morpheousman said:

Post your specs.... 

CPU, Graphics Card, etc.  Many things have changed since Snow Leopard. 760 will run Sierra, or High Sierra.

Optiplex 760 A05 BIOS, E8400 Core2Duo (3GHz), ATI Radeon 5450 512MB card, 4GB RAM.  Honestly I was surprised to see it would run anything past, say, Mountain Lion.  Thanks....

Initial boot takes you to Clover boot menu, select boot install clover, that's as far as it goes? Then something's definitely wrong with the USB installer setup. After creating USB installer, then installing Clover, you are deleting EFI folder in EFI partition, then replacing with EFI folder from guide? 

Did you try El Capitan? We made a guide for El Capitan that goes into a little more detail, and Chris1111's USB Installer Creator program still works for creating USB installer for El Capitan.

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/308097-guide-el-capitan-1011x-dell-optiplex-780-760-755-790-990/?_fromLogin=1

On 6/25/2019 at 9:08 AM, morpheousman said:

Initial boot takes you to Clover boot menu, select boot install clover, that's as far as it goes? Then something's definitely wrong with the USB installer setup. After creating USB installer, then installing Clover, you are deleting EFI folder in EFI partition, then replacing with EFI folder from guide? 

Did you try El Capitan? We made a guide for El Capitan that goes into a little more detail, and Chris1111's USB Installer Creator program still works for creating USB installer for El Capitan.

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/308097-guide-el-capitan-1011x-dell-optiplex-780-760-755-790-990/?_fromLogin=1

The 760 board isn't UEFI, it's legacy boot.

I did try the El Cap guide and installer creator and got the same behavior, which makes me think it might be a BIOS version issue, A05 is pretty old (the last release was A16).  I'll flash it up and try again this weekend.

UPDATE:  Nope. Same thing. Very weird.

Edited by alfonzotan
more info

On 6/27/2019 at 3:31 PM, alfonzotan said:

The 760 board isn't UEFI, it's legacy boot.

I did try the El Cap guide and installer creator and got the same behavior, which makes me think it might be a BIOS version issue, A05 is pretty old (the last release was A16).  I'll flash it up and try again this weekend.

UPDATE:  Nope. Same thing. Very weird.

Yes, we are using Clover legacy boot settings for all these models.

There are several methods to make USB installer, the one command line version on first post of this guide works as well as any.

Chris1111's installer works fine for El Capitan

There are other methods posted in other guides.

Use any method you are comfortable with.

After creating usb installer.... 

Install Clover with appropriate settings for legacy install...

Install Clover in the ESP
Bootloader / Install boot0af in the MBR
CloverEFI / Clover-EFI 64Bit SATA
Drivers64UEFI / EmuVariableUefi-64
Drivers64UEFI / OsxAptioFixDrv-64
Drivers64UEFI / PartitionDxe-64
Install RC Scripts In Target Volume
optional:
Theme, free choice
Install Clover Preference Pane

After clover installation...

Delete clover folder in EFI/EFI/Clover, and replace with correct clover folder for your Model.

The Clover folder I have attached should be enough to get you going. After install, look at first page of post for sound. Best to go with AppleAlc and Lilu.

Probably best to stay with Sierra or older until you get a working install so you don't need to rollback video kexts.

CLOVER.zip

1 hour ago, morpheousman said:

Drivers64UEFI / EmuVariableUefi-64
Drivers64UEFI / OsxAptioFixDrv-64
Drivers64UEFI / PartitionDxe-64
optional:
Theme, free choice

Since we're all using Legacy Clover for the Optiplex series (at least 7xx series), we do not need to select Drivers64UEFI. This is a non-sense since this folder and its associated drivers will only work in UEFI mode :P.

So what you need to install is :

Bios Drivers, 64 bit / FSInject-64
Bios Drivers, 64 bit / SMCHelper-64
Bios Drivers, 64 bit / ApfsDriverLoader-64

Bios Drivers, 64 bit / HFSPlus-64 or VBoxHFS-64
optional:
Theme, free choice

6 hours ago, polyzargone said:

Since we're all using Legacy Clover for the Optiplex series (at least 7xx series), we do not need to select Drivers64UEFI. This is a non-sense since this folder and its associated drivers will only work in UEFI mode :P.

So what you need to install is :

Bios Drivers, 64 bit / FSInject-64
Bios Drivers, 64 bit / SMCHelper-64
Bios Drivers, 64 bit / ApfsDriverLoader-64

Bios Drivers, 64 bit / HFSPlus-64 or VBoxHFS-64
optional:
Theme, free choice

Thank you for the help, it did turn out to be a BIOS issue.  After trying a few more USB sticks following this and other guides with the same result (reboot after a short pause), I reset the BIOS settings to defaults and then re-set the items for Hackintosh (AHCI, etc.). Now I can get to the installer; should have checked those settings right off the bat.

Appreciate it....

The 790 Optiplex boot in UEFI 

So the advantage of having the UEFI drivers is that it can boot if the boot is passed on UEFI in the bios
And no disadvantage to have the UEFI Drivers it does not change the boot Legacy

24 minutes ago, chris1111 said:

The 790 Optiplex boot in UEFI

Then settings should be as follow for Optiplex 790/990 :

Install for UEFI booting only

If the following setting is ticked in the installer, whatever you choose means Legacy boot and then drivers64UEFI folder is ignored :

I have a 790 and a 990, and am using UEFI booting in both. 

Have not had a 760 or 780 in almost 3 years now. 

But yes, if not set to AHCI in bios, you pretty much stuck at step 1, and probably have one of those "Duh" moments when you figure out what the problem was.

We all get our share of those moments. Just your turn. :)

Glad you got that figured out, and are into installer now. 

Edited by morpheousman
spelling

1 hour ago, morpheousman said:

I have a 790 and a 990, and am using UEFI booting in both. 

Have not had a 760 or 780 in almost 3 years now. 

But yes, if not set to AHCI in bios, you pretty much stuck at step 1, and probably have one of those "Duh" moments when you figure out what the problem was.

We all get our share of those moments. Just your turn. :)

Glad you got that figured out, and are into installer now. 

Thanks, appreciate the help.

AHCI was actually set correctly, I'm not sure what the bad setting was, but glad I finally thought to reset and start over.

Edited by alfonzotan

2 hours ago, alfonzotan said:

Thanks, appreciate the help.

AHCI was actually set correctly, I'm not sure what the bad setting was, but glad I finally thought to reset and start over.

Cool, just let us know if you need any help, and I'm sure one of us will be available.

See, about the time I make the slightest mistake in a post, Polyzargone starts to keep a close eye on the thread. :rolleyes:

Then Chris1111 will show up to defend me. :P

On latest Mojave 10.15 (19A512f)

Is there anyone who has the keyboard problem by tapping on Cap Locks the keyboard does not work anymore :no:

I never see this on any macOS Version :shock:

Hello,

Would anyone be kind enough to help me work out where I've gone wrong?

I've been happily using the Dell 780 with a Radeon 6570. I have Sierra 10.12.6 & HS 10.13.6

Everything works great. But I wanted to give Mojave a go, so I've purchased a Asus GT710 2GB.

I've tried to replace various DSDT's from the site with various combinations of Audi kexts.

But the only OS that will start is High Sierra. And is very slow to boot. My audio is HDMI only.

When booting to Sierra I end up with a black screen. The same happens when I boot my Mojave installer.

I'm sure this is something silly as I see many here have been able to run all 3 OS with the 710.

I did update the clover installer from 4380 to I think 5018. But this hasn't helped.

Thanks in advance.

41 minutes ago, Aaronation said:

Hello,

Would anyone be kind enough to help me work out where I've gone wrong?

I've been happily using the Dell 780 with a Radeon 6570. I have Sierra 10.12.6 & HS 10.13.6

Everything works great. But I wanted to give Mojave a go, so I've purchased a Asus GT710 2GB.

I've tried to replace various DSDT's from the site with various combinations of Audi kexts.

But the only OS that will start is High Sierra. And is very slow to boot. My audio is HDMI only.

When booting to Sierra I end up with a black screen. The same happens when I boot my Mojave installer.

I'm sure this is something silly as I see many here have been able to run all 3 OS with the 710.

I did update the clover installer from 4380 to I think 5018. But this hasn't helped.

Thanks in advance.

Well:
1. Eventhough the GT 710 works OOB, it does not work under certain SMBIOSes.
2. Core2* CPUS are not supported under Mojave; you'll need to replace /System/Library/UserEventPlugins/com.apple.telemetry.plugin with the one from High Sierra

Please post your CLOVER folder (omitting the themes folder)

Ok,

So I now have 3 bootable OS. Sierra seems to work as it should with graphics and audio.

High Sierra boots just fine, as does Mojave.

HS has HDMI audio only. Mojave has no audio.

The SMBIOS is now 13.2

It's got to be something silly I'm missing now, so close..

Any help would be appreciated.

CLOVER.zip

Edited by Aaronation

Hi,

Does anybody have any ideas as to how I might be able to fix my above audio problem?

Been at this a good few days now and can't seem to get it right.

I'll go back to the HD6750 if I can't figure it out. But I would like to use Mojave.

So if anyone has any ideas that would be awesome.

Thanks. 

I've successfully installed high Sierra to my optiplex 790 only thing is my gt 790 is not detected but a radeon 5450 3mb instead even with web drivers

On 2/24/2018 at 3:04 PM, ricoc90 said:

My Optiplex is still rockin' too  B)

post-1502423-0-72229600-1519502598_thumb.png

Could you help me get my gt 710 recognized idk if I used the wrong kext or something but it's only being shown as a 5450 3mb

Just now, CairoC said:

Could you help me get my gt 710 recognized idk if I used the wrong kext or something but it's only being shown as a 5450 3mb

Then you'e using the DSDT that has been patched for the HD 5450. Post your DSDT

5 minutes ago, ricoc90 said:

I put it in the patched folder and just rebooted same 3mb 5450 in about this Mac and 1024x768 resolution do you know what I should do

@CairoC That's strange. Please upload your EFI folder while omitting the themes folder

7 minutes ago, ricoc90 said:

@CairoC That's strange. Please upload your EFI folder while omitting the themes folder

it's not letting me upload the folder how should I send it