4k monitor DPI scaling

Op15L

6 posts in this topic

I bought a 4k LG IPS display.

I use this monitor with ati HD 5770 1920x1080 40Hz in HiDPI (4k scaled to fullHD).

setting 4k not scaled I have interface elements too small, setting 4k scaled to 1080p I have interface elements too large, it's possibile scale less then 1080p?

In retina mac display display setting appears like this:

9The0F1.png

with my monitor this:

nAgToXO.png

if I press 'alt' more resolutions is showed but only "low resolution" not HiDPI.

There is a solution?

• 4 weeks later...

I thought the same thing with my 4K display.    In Windows 10 it is much nicer, I can just set a UI multiplier, eg 125%, 150%, and everything is scaled smoothly.  

I haven't found a way to achieve this in macOS.  Setting a lower resolution isn't the same, as A. it doesn't look sharp and B. it scales everything, where Windows 10 only scales text/UI elements, not video/pictures etc.

Which is a shame, because macOS has a nice zoom function as well as the Retina scaling mentioned, so it could definitely do this if they implemented it.

If anyone knows of a way, I'd love to know as well.

I bought a 4k LG IPS display.

I use this monitor with ati HD 5770 1920x1080 40Hz in HiDPI (4k scaled to fullHD).

setting 4k not scaled I have interface elements too small, setting 4k scaled to 1080p I have interface elements too large, it's possibile scale less then 1080p?

In retina mac display display setting appears like this:

9The0F1.png

with my monitor this:

nAgToXO.png

if I press 'alt' more resolutions is showed but only "low resolution" not HiDPI.

There is a solution?

Here you go: http://avi.alkalay.net/software/RDM/

Try the resolutions with a small lightning icon.

• Like 1

Here you go: http://avi.alkalay.net/software/RDM/

Try the resolutions with a small lightning icon.

Thank you for this, but could you explain a bit more about what this is/does?  It will change how Display->Scaled appears or operates?

EDIT: never mind, I found the documentation here:  Github/avibrazil/RDM.

EDIT 2:

Unfortunately that doesn't seem to work at all for me.  Whenever I select nearly all of the resolutions from the RDM menu, my main monitor goes completely black.    This happened with all options I tried for the 4K display (with and without lightning symbol) except 2560x1600, which did give me a picture but with black bars either side.

Maybe this doesn't work with my particular monitor.  Or maybe it's because I am currently on an NVidia GPU, not AMD as maybe the RDM software expects.  I hope to change to AMD GPU in the next week so I will try it again then.

Thanks for posting it anyway. Maybe it will work OK for the OP on his system.

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/03/2018 at 7:21 PM, TheBloke said:

Or maybe it's because I am currently on an NVidia GPU, not AMD as maybe the RDM software expects.  I hope to change to AMD GPU in the next week so I will try it again then.

Thought I would report back that yes, this was the issue - it doesn't work on NVidia (at least not for me), but works fine now I am using an AMD 7970.

I can now change to any HiDPI resolution and it looks great.

Ironically I think I will actually stick to 3840x2160 because I've got used to it now, but it's great to know I now have the option :)

Thanks @Denicio

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...