BauerMac

How to enable all 6 SATA drives while using M.2 SSD?

9 posts in this topic

Hey,

I want to use 7 drives on my ASUS X Hero MB.
The MB supports up to 6 SATA drives, and also has 2 M.2 slots, so I thought it was possible to run at least 7 drives.
Apparently, it isn´t that easy.

I have a Samsung 850 EVO MZ-N5E500BW M.2 drive that I use as boot drive.
It´s a SATA drive, and from what I can read, using a SATA drive in the M.2 slot will either disable one or two of the other SATA slots, depending on which type of M.2 setup you choose.
So now I can only use a total of SIX slots in the machine for storage, which is a huge bummer, since I need the extra SSD drive.

I can of course connect the extra SSD drive via an adapter and use an external USB port, but that´s a very impractical solution.

QUESTION:
Can anyone tell me if it´s possible to somehow connect 7 drives to my ASUS X Hero MB?
(Buying a new PCIE M.2 drive is not an option, since the M.2 drive I have is the boot drive, and I don´t wanna F around with cloning, replacing etc)

Thanks in advance! :)

Advertisement

Hi, 

Not sure if I can help with this. But maybe I can give some insight to something. 

Could it be that your board just got an AHCI limitation? In this case, I'd suggest you not using AHCI and maybe NVMe. Now I am not sure if your board supports NVMe. Some people even mod their UEFI to get NVMe support. Now since one drive will use NVMe in this case, and the other six drives will use AHCI, you might not get into this problem, and you will be able to have 7 drives. The only down side is, you would have to get NVMe m.2 drive. 

Another solution could be that you get a mass storage PCIe card. Well a RAID card that works with MacOS. But you might not need RAID. In this case, you don't use the RAID function the PCIe RAID card gives. You can get inexpensive RAID cards, such as HighPoint Rocket Raid RR2720SGL. You can hook up SATA drives with it with SATA connectors. If you only got m.2 to connect, it must be SATA bu with an enclosure having SATA connector (not sure if those enclosures exists). There is a downside to this as well, the RAID card will show its own bios signs before booting, just like the motherboard does, this will of course make the booting experience a bit downgraded taking a few seconds more. If this isn't a problem, then this might be something you might want to consider. The RR2720SGL is quite inexpensive, last I checked it was about 160 USD. It got two SAS connectors, and can run 8 drives. All you need with it is mini SAS to 4x SATA 3 cable, either one or two of them, depending on how many you want to connect. Assuming you won't connect many, if this solution is for you. 

**Edit**

The RR2720SGL works out of the box for Mac OS X / MacOS. However, I have only used it to macOS Sierra 10.12. I don't use it anymore, and therefore don't know if this will work for High Sierra, but I am assuming it will.

:)

Edited by Dwarfy

Thanks a lot, @Dwarfy for taking time to reply :)

Yeah, I know I could probably get some other storage device, but the thing is; I already HAVE a 500GB Samsung SSD that I want to use instead of paying $$$ for another one ;)

I´ll check the AHCI limitation you mention, and see if I can somehow do something about my MB´s NVMe/SATA support. May be the only way to do it, since I don´t see any other options to connect the SSD internally.

Thanks again! :)

Hyeya,

Sounds good. 

I can understand that at this point you don't want to spend more money on SSDs and / or a RAID card. 

But if there is a limitation for AHCI, and it cannot be changed, then you most likely would have to get a drive with NVMe support. 

And if that isn't a solution, then a Mass Storage controller card, such as a RAID card (without using RAID). However, I am hoping that. you can some how work around the limitation. Possibly hoping that there is no limitation, and ASUS made that board run as many drives thrown at it. Hoping as many connectors for drives as many drives can be hooked up and utilised. Though not to sound rude, but I already find it a bit pointless that a non NVMe SSD is in m.2 slot. Assuming ASUS most likely thought the user of the board would utilise the m.2 slots with NVMe SSD. 

Not sure if UEFI modding will help in this case either. Hopefully there isn't any limitation, and just something you need to enable in UEFI to run seven drives.

As of now this is all I could think of. I am open to get lectured, lol. And if someone wants to amend into any of what I have said , then feel happy to do so. 

Thanks again :)

I´m doing some research to find some hack/solution for this, so far I haven´t found anything.
I´m thinking there must be some BIOS setting or similar that can circumvent the disabling of SATA slot #1 when using M.2, but perhaps it´s a physical limitation.

Not sure about your suggestion re NVMe in the M.2 slot. I just plugged in a "regular" M.2. SSD and it seems to work fine, but you may be right :)

Hyeya,

I might be right, but I am not sure. 

The reason I mentioned about NVMe capable drive for m.2 to be used, is because if there possibly is a limitation for AHCI, then it won't affect your setup of drives, as one is with NVMe. 

Your motherboard is a high-end gaming motherboard, not that only gamers buy and utilise it, but most people buying such motherboard opt to get NVMe SSDs. Now, it isn't because of NVMe that NVMe drives are faster, NVMe is just a standard, a communication protocol SSDs got. The manufacturers just got more focus on this standard. And these drivers don't necessarily need to use AHCI, well there is no need for a NVMe drive to be used as an AHCI drive. 

Since your board is fairly new, and supports NVMe, most people would most likely utilise the m.2 slots for NVMe drives. And what I was saying earlier in my other post, I'd believe ASUS would think people would opt for NVMe. drives in those m.2 slots. If that is done, it could be that you get seven drives running, as you are not crossing any AHCI limitation s. But I could be wrong. 

As seen on the manufacturers product page....

*2 When the M.2_1 socket is operating in SATA mode, SATA port 1 will be disabled.

*3 When the M.2_2 socket is operating in PCIEX4 mode, SATA port 5. 6 will be disabled.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By kushwavez
      A really good motherboard with macOS compatible bult-in Wifi & Bluetooth

ASUS Z170-Deluxe (with Wifi)
      BIOS: v3801
      CPU: i7-6700K 4.0 to 4.2 GHz (w/o OC)
      RAM: 1x 16 GB Corsair DDR4 2400 MHz
      GPU: Intel HD 530 (Headless) & ASUS Radeon RX 5700 OC 8 GB
      Audio: ALC 1150
      Ethernet: I219V2, I211-AT
      WiFi & Bluetooth: Broadcom BCM94360HMB Half-Mini-PCI-E
      More Specs: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z170-DELUXE/specifications/

Catalina 10.15.2 - Windows 10
      What is working:
      BCM94360HMB Wifi and Bluetooth AirDrop, Handoff, FaceTime, Messages, App Store, iCloud, etc. Intel HD 530 (QE/CI tested, but now I'm using it in headless) Sleep RX 5700 (QE/CI with 2 1080p monitors connected) Sound USB Ports Two Ethernet ports macOS with a light OC (4.12 GHz - 4.5 Ghz, XMP, ASUS optimal) No problem so far ASUS HyperKit with a KINGSTON NVMe SSD - 250 GB  
      What is not working:
      -  

Not tested:
      VideoProc says that Hardware Decoding\Encoding is fully supported and enabled on both HD 530 and RX 5700 but I didn't test it Thunderbolt (no equipment)  
      Issues:
      None  
      BIOS Settings:
      Boot\CSM (Compatibility Support Module): Launch CSM: Disabled Boot\Secure Boot: OS type: Other OS Secure Boot State: Disabled Advanced\System agent (sa) Configuration: VT-d: Enabled Graphics Configuration: Primary Display: Auto iGPU Multi-monitor: Enabled RC6(Render Standby): Enabled DVMT Pre-Allocated: 128M Advanced\PCH Storage Configuration: SATA Mode Selection: AHCI HyperKit: Enable (if you have NVMe SSD with ASUS HyperKit) Advanced\CPU Configuration: Intel Virtualization Technology: Enabled CPU- Power Management Control: Intel SpeedStep: Enabled CPU- C-States: Enabled Intel SpeedShift: Enabled  
      Getting ready for installation:
      Download the bootpack (Clover v5098): Click here -> ASUS-Z170_catalina.zip  
      Installation:
      Create an installer with any method you know (- Mac: createinstallmedia - Windows: Transmac, Vmware, Win32diskimager) Copy my Clover folder to the USB's EFI folder Boot with the Installer USB If you have any problem (kp or freeze) boot with config_debug.plist to see what causes the issue  
      Post Installation:
      Download Clover Configurator and generate a new Serial Number for yourself  
      Some pictures:

Catalina & Windows 10 Dual-Boot (clean install, on one drive):
       Boot into your Mac installer, Create 2 partitions in GUID table (1 for Win (I used FAT32 but I think it doesn't matter what you choose), 1 for Mac)
       Install Mac, boot with your USB, mount your EFI partition (use terminal or an EFI mounter app), create an EFI folder (if there is no folder), copy the CLOVER folder I attached to the EFI folder, restart
      Boot into your Win installer, Format the partition you created for Win, install. 
      Now, it's automatically booting into Windows. To use Clover open cmd in administrator, type: 
      bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\CLOVER\CLOVERX64.efi  
      You're done! It will booting into Clover when you start the system, and you can select Win or Mac (or another OS if installed on a 3rd partition).

IF YOU GETTING ERRORS DURING WINDOWS INSTALLATION (could not be formatted, etc):
      Make sure you have GPT partitions, and GPT (UEFI) installer, also disconnect all external storage drives (except the installer USB)  
      Mounting EFI from Windows:
      Open cmd in administrator mode and type: mountvol b: /s (This will mount your EFI) Open Total Commander or Explorer++ in administrator mode to manage EFI mountvol b: /d (This will unmount your EFI)  
      Notes:

2020.01.19: Added ASUS HyperKit NVMe SSD to the "What is working" list
      2020.01.12: Tested system with OC, added more informations to BIOS settings
      2020.01.11: Added SmallTreeIntel82576.kext for 2nd Ethernet, Tested Ethernet ports
      2020.01.11: First upload

• By dinurajar
      Need help for making USB Installer for MacOS Catalina for my Custom Build. Below provided my Build Configuration:

1. Intel i9-9900K
      2. ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F Gaming Motherboard
      3. Sapphire Radeon RX580 8GB
      4. 4 X 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RAM
      5. Corsair H80i v2 Cooling
      6. Corsair RM 850X PSU
      7. Samsung Evo 970 Plus 500GB NVMe
      8. Samsung QVO 860 1TB SSD
      9. SanDisk 240GB SSD
      10. Corsair Carbide SPEC-06 RGB Tempered Glass Case

Really need your help as I build this Desktop only for Hackintosh (Not a Gamer).

• By Humboldt421
      I would like to use an intel H10 optane SSD module to create a fusion drive container for an osx install. 
      I have an MSI b360i pro AC mobo with intel i5-8400 amd rx580 8gb and 2x 8gb ddr4 2666 
      Its all in a Dan case with the HdPlex 400w Pure DC PSU 
      Its running windows on a Toshiba KXG5A 512 SSD which is fast but i wanted to install osx and I wanted to use a new drive for that, I chose the H10 intel optane drive because from what I gather if I dont use any optane software or bios settings it will appear as two drives to the UEFI firmware, one 32gb Optane drive and the 512 SSD, I wanted to know if I could use this as a fusion drive container. Has anyone done this? Also I need to figure out the DSDT or clover setup to use to make this mobo boot with the hardware I have. I havent built a osx86 box since ML but I think that i can figure it out with some help. Thanks.
    • By gusbemacbe
      Hello,

I am a former user of MacBook and Mac mini. Both died. One in 2014 and another last year.  I will think of giving my Hackintosh-compatible laptop to my brother that I purchased years ago, because he wants to play more than one computer, so he is a Twitch/YouTube streamer and a hardcore gamer and I will not need to lend him many times. If he wants, from my former laptop I will take only one 240GB SSD Samsung Evo with installed Arch Linux and leave one 500GB HDD for him. In the future, I will purchase a new Alienware laptop.

As I got newly graduated, I moved to a new super PC with AMD Ryzen™ 7 2700X CPU and with NVIDIA GeForce™ 1660 Ti GPU. More details, you can see my signature below, that provides the complete details. I own an external SSD m.2 2280 with installed Windows 10.

I will reconsider purchasing 4th drive – an external 480GB SSD m.2 2280 SATA WD Green 545MB/s or an external 1TB SSD SATA WD Green 545MB/s – for installing Hackintosh. But purchasing, I need to make sure.

1. Is it worth to install Hackintosh on an external SSD m.2 2280? If I partition two partitions, one for Insansely's MyHack/Chameleon/Clover and another for Hackintosh and my new super-PC boot is natively BIOS and Grub, is it worth? Maybe I will try to install reFind on Arch Linux to replace the Grub if it is worth.
      2. I know that it will run on macOS High Sierra, Mojave and Catalina, but if I need Metal 2 to run the latest version of Sketch (the which I own an original licence) and of other apps the which I own original licences? Is NVIDIA GeForce™ 1660 Ti compatible with Metal 2?
      3. Since it be an external SSD, will I able to run Hackintosh as a portable OS in other computers?

• By gusbemacbe
      Olá,

Eu sou um ex-usuário do último computador da Apple – Mac mini – que faleceu no ano passado.

Pensarei em dar meu computador portátil compatível com Hackintosh ao meu irmão que comprei anos atrás (em referência ao tópico «Sou novo ao fórum, já fui um usuário de Hackintosh e ainda pretendo montá-lo», porque ele quer jogar mais de um computador, pois ele é um streamer de Twitch e YouTube e um jogador hardcore, e não precisarei ficando emprestando-lhe muitas vezes.
      Se ele quiser, do meu antigo computador portátil, pegarei apenas um SSD Samsung Evo 860 de 240GB com o Arch Linux instalado e deixarei um HD de 500 GB para ele. No futuro, comprarei um novo laptop Alienware.

Como me formei no início deste ano, mudei-me para um novo supercomputador cujo processador é AMD Ryzen™ 7 2700X e cuja placa de vídeo NVIDIA GeForce ™ 1660 Ti. Há mais detalhes que posso fornecer-lhes na minha assinatura abaixo. Possuo um SSD m.2 2280 externo com o Windows 10 instalado.

Reconsiderarei a compra da quarta unidade – um externo SSD m.2 2280 SATA de 480GB 545MB/s da marca WD Green ou um externo normal SSD SATA de 1TB 545MB/s da marca WD Green – para instalar o Hackintosh. Mas antes de comprá-lo, preciso ter certeza.

1. Vale a pena instalar o Hackintosh num SSD m.2 2280 externo? Se eu criar duas partições, uma para o MyHack/Chameleon/Clover do InsanelyMac e outra para o Hackintosh, e a inicialização do meu supercomputador é nativamente BIOS e Grub, vale a pena? Talvez eu tente instalar o reFind no Arch Linux para substituir o Grub, se valer a pena.
      2. Sei que macOS High Sierra, Mojave e Catalina funciona com o processador AMD Ryzen™, mas se eu precisar do Metal 2 para executar a versão mais recente do Sketch (a qual eu possuo uma licença original) e de outros aplicativos cujos possuo as licenças originais? O NVIDIA GeForce™ 1660 Ti é compatível com o Metal 2?
      3. Como é um SSD externo, poderei executar o Hackintosh como um sistema operativo portátil noutros computadores?