Filevault enabled Fusion drive (Corestoreage) won't boot sometimes

KyleGP

1 post in this topic

Hi all,

I have 5 disks including four SSDS and a 4TB HDD configured in a CoreStorage (Fusion drive) volume.

I have Filevault enabled also.

When I turn on my hackintosh, I am presented with the Filevault screen to select my user, enter my password and continue to decrypt and boot macOS. This works around 80% of the time with no issues at all.

Sometimes with seemingly no identifiable pattern, after I enter my password it just hangs on the Filevault screen with the loading bar and does not progress. There is no disk activity either. After a while of the hanging, it will just display the prohibitory sign against a black background.

I have to force shut the hackintosh off with the power button and try to boot again. Usually after I do this, it will boot the second time.

I'm currently running Sierra 10.12.6 but this has also happened when I tried 10.13 too.

Clover is fully up to date as of today (r4380). 

Does anyone know why this might occur?

The only thing I have picked up on is the drives change disk identifiers and move themselves around (eg. /dev/disk1) during different boot ups so maybe it's getting confused when trying to decrypt and boot as a corestorage volume. I have no idea how to prevent this from happening either.

Any help or suggestion would really be appreciated.

My specs are:

Motherboard: GA-Z97X-UD7 TH
RAM: 16GB Corsair 1866MHZ Memory
GFX: 2x Nvidia GTX 760
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHZ