apianti

Intel CPU hardware vulnerability

81 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

If you updated your firmware because it included a microcode update, then that microcode update is applied to everything. The microcode update can only be updated to a higher version after that. So in order for the update to not be used/protecting you, you would need to downgrade your firmware again. However, linux and windows frequently have microcode updates in the OS, I do not know if macOS does this, I'm pretty sure that they are all firmware updates. This doesn't really matter though since your microcode update is persistent because it is applied at boot before anything else could possibly modify it, save an attack on a vulnerability but that's another thing all together and very unlikely you will ever have to worry, let alone think about that.

EDIT: Double posted on accident, removed duplicate.

Edited by apianti

Advertisement

OK, so I should be protected also on macOS now? As I have dual BIOS (currently one patched and one unpatched) it would relatively easy for me to switch back, and if only for testing purposes. I was just curious if the patch is actually also effective on macOS, but if I understand you correctly, this should be the case.

5 minutes ago, frankiee said:

OK, so I should be protected also on macOS now? As I have dual BIOS (currently one patched and one unpatched) it would relatively easy for me to switch back, and if only for testing purposes. I was just curious if the patch is actually also effective on macOS, but if I understand you correctly, this should be the case.

You do understand and are protected.

By the way,

There's UBU Bios updater, that update CPU Microcode and OROM's for AMI bioses, this is useful for anyone that don't have bios updated since the CPU's vulnerability from Manufacturers website!

And i guess that we still need "Microcode Bios Updated + OS Updated" to be relatively protected

Hey Riley how are you ^_^,

I don't think that it will be a BIOS update by the manufacturers, unless a release for OEM machines