BiTRiP

Interface that supports native volume control

4 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I'm looking for a simple audio interface that supports native MacOS volume control (by keyboard and slider).

As far as I know this is only with interfaces that supports Apple CoreAudio like the Apogee Duet 2 does, but that one is pretty expensive.

I also know there is a workaround like with SoundFlower but I don't like that.

Are there any suggestions for interfaces that are natively supported?

Thanks!

BiTRiP

Advertisement

Hello. I'm using an old (but still good) Roland UA5 USB external audio interface and it works with Mac OS quite well, the volume is native controlled by keyboard or by graphic slider on the finder menu. Also tried an inexpensive USB sound card got from eBay (2 USD shipped), the audio quality is horrible when compared to my UA5 but the interface works with OS X as well and I can control output volume both keyboard and slider on finder menu. For my high end audio works I use a PCIe Maya 44XTE by Esi Audio (4 in + 4 out up to 96Khz) and a near zero latency but this one is quite expensive. I think you can use any USB interface without issues.

Hello. I'm using an old (but still good) Roland UA5 USB external audio interface and it works with Mac OS quite well, the volume is native controlled by keyboard or by graphic slider on the finder menu. Also tried an inexpensive USB sound card got from eBay (2 USD shipped), the audio quality is horrible when compared to my UA5 but the interface works with OS X as well and I can control output volume both keyboard and slider on finder menu. For my high end audio works I use a PCIe Maya 44XTE by Esi Audio (4 in + 4 out up to 96Khz) and a near zero latency but this one is quite expensive. I think you can use any USB interface without issues.

Hmm, that's odd. I read many threads that volume control is disabled with USB audio interfaces. I also tested it once with a Focusrite scarlet and volume control got greyed out as it controlled on USB device. I might try another USB audio device.

Thanks for your reply.

Hmm, that's odd. I read many threads that volume control is disabled with USB audio interfaces. I also tested it once with a Focusrite scarlet and volume control got greyed out as it controlled on USB device. I might try another USB audio device.

Thanks for your reply.

Do you see your USB device in System Preferences>Sound>Output  devices? If yes once you've choosed your USB devices you should be able to control volume with your keyboard.

Also Audio-Midi configuration utility should give you some useful informations.

If you pull down the finder menu bar (the audio icon in the finder menu) you should see your device(s) listed, if youre using older Mac OS X (e.g. Mavericks) you have to use ALT key while pulling down the audio menu.