glasgood

[SUCCESS][GUIDE] Glasgood's High Sierra CoffeeLake: ASUS STRIX Z370-G - i7-8700 - GTX1080ti - UHD

320 posts in this topic

Thanks for the guide! I've followed it and it's got me up and running using the same part specs. Using this PCIe and adaptor.

Research says Broadcom chip (4331) is supported.

WiFi is not working. 

- used your EFI-NVIDEA & removed the on board wifi chip.

- see info in the USB and PCI of System Report. But nothing in Network->WiFi. I cannot add a wifi interface in System Prefs->Network.

Would post screenshots, but right now I'm wiping and reinstalling because of a new panic around the the AppleACPICPU...

I've had lots of panics at the "IO80211controller" in the past when booting.

In addition: 

- added RehabMan's FakePCIID + FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi kexts. (both with kext wizard and in the EFI/Clover )

- modified the config.plist following the guide-airport-pcie-half-mini-v2, with "the-darkvoid KextsToPatch"

Any ideas?

Advertisement

Hi Selie,

What motherboard are you using, is it the Asus ROG Z370-G Strix ? if so try:

1. Check BIOS settings

2. Update BIOS to version 0430 ( confirmed working with DSDT)

3. Reseat WIFI card / test if is seen in Windows Device manager or Linux Live Distro

If not using Asus ROG Z370-G Strix motherboard and using POST-INSTALL-EFI folder and you haven't already then..

1. Remove DSDT from EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/PATCHED

2. Remove SSDT-UIAC.aml  from EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/PATCHED

Do you really need to wipe and reinstall High Sierra because of a kernel panic ?  Why not just use your bootable USB installer to boot into OSX and remove offending kext etc..

I had no need to use FakePCIID etc for my build. Your card should work out of the box.

:)

oh snap. cant boot at all now. get prohibited symbol. verbose seems to show 'still waiting for boot device'

I cant even boot from the USB. it throws the same error (although after different things)

is it worth changing the EFI folder on the stick to the pre install version ?

post-2351905-0-93926400-1515012248_thumb.jpg
post-2351905-0-78268600-1515012224_thumb.jpg

post-2351905-0-78268600-1515012224_thumb.jpg

post-2351905-0-93926400-1515012248_thumb.jpg

oh snap. cant boot at all now. get prohibited symbol. verbose seems to show 'still waiting for boot device'

I cant even boot from the USB. it throws the same error (although after different things)

is it worth changing the EFI folder on the stick to the pre install version ?

I had same problem, boot back into High Sierra using USB installer. Then download the latest POST-INSTALL EFI folder that I have uploaded two hours ago, It has latest Clover boot-loader. 

so pre-install EFI folder?

No, boot with USB installer, when you log into High Sierra then replace EFI folder on system EFI/ESP partiton with >>POST-INSTALL-EFI

Out of curiosity, try booting as normal.. but when you reach the Clover boot screen wait for a minute before clicking on High Sierra icon at Clover Boot Screen.

so pre-install EFI folder?

Just found out about the major flaw>> in Intel Chips

So far, everything seems ok with Clover v r4359 no intermittent prohibited symbol. 

that seems to be me trouble, I cant boot from the USB - in fact Im not sure its actually trying to boot from the USB, its to the same point in verbose mode which is PTIDSensors: started.

stays there for a minute then symbol - do disk activity light either

i saw the thing about Intel too. also that 10.13.2 already mitigates the issue and that 10.13.3 will do more 

http://appleinsider.com/articles/18/01/03/apple-has-already-partially-implemented-fix-in-macos-for-kpti-intel-cpu-security-flaw

that seems to be me trouble, I cant boot from the USB - in fact Im not sure its actually trying to boot from the USB, its to the same point in verbose mode which is PTIDSensors: started.

stays there for a minute then symbol - do disk activity light either

i saw the thing about Intel too. also that 10.13.2 already mitigates the issue and that 10.13.3 will do more 

http://appleinsider.com/articles/18/01/03/apple-has-already-partially-implemented-fix-in-macos-for-kpti-intel-cpu-security-flaw

Did you try booting to Clover boot screen, then wait for about 1 minute then click on the High Sierra icon ? I also again just got the prohibited symbol using updated Clover version, but was able to restart and boot back into High Sierra. I think that if you try and boot to quickly into High Sierra from Clover screen is why the prohibited sign appears, could be that some other process has not had enough time to load. Try waiting for about 1 minute at Clover screen then see if you can enter High Sierra.

yep tried that, the main problem is that it just won't boot from USB, throws the same error at the same point. I've got no way of checking its actually booting from the device - is there anyway of stepping through the boot, i can see ACPI errors shooting past.

yep tried that, the main problem is that it just won't boot from USB, throws the same error at the same point. I've got no way of checking its actually booting from the device - is there anyway of stepping through the boot, i can see ACPI errors shooting past.

You could try entering the bios, change usb setting from auto to enabled. Then try and boot, if you can’t boot go back to BIOS and reset usb back to auto then try and boot. I’m thinking a change in BIOS might reset ACPI / DSDT or the order it loads.

Hi Selie,

What motherboard are you using, is it the Asus ROG Z370-G Strix ? if so try:

1. Check BIOS settings

2. Update BIOS to version 0430 ( confirmed working with DSDT)

3. Reseat WIFI card / test if is seen in Windows Device manager or Linux Live Dist

Same mobo as you. I've updated to 0430 as directed and checked the settings.

I'm at the same spot as @bifterx.

he Post-EFI has been copied over to the SSD.

I also got the prohibited screen during boot in verbose mode even after waiting. I'll wait longer and see.

Screenshot right before the prohibited boot fail. 

I saw you screenshot of the wifi card. I only have 2 cables where you have 3. Is this normal?

Same mobo as you. I've updated to 0430 as directed and checked the settings.

I'm at the same spot as @bifterx.

he Post-EFI has been copied over to the SSD.

I also got the prohibited screen during boot in verbose mode even after waiting. I'll wait longer and see.Screenshot right before the prohibited boot fail. 

I saw you screenshot of the wifi card. I only have 2 cables where you have 3. Is this normal?

The cable that connects from card to the motherboard usb connector is for Bluetooth, do you have Bluetooth and is your WiFi card working ? I will have to do some testing to find out cause of intermittent acpi errors.

The cable that connects from card to the motherboard usb connector is for Bluetooth, do you have Bluetooth and is your WiFi card working ? I will have to do some testing to find out cause of intermittent acpi errors.

Thanks for looking into the ACPI errors. I also will experiment with removing my 1070 ti, and booting with -nv_disable=1. 

As for the wifi card, it's possible it's a faulty one unless you know anything about this. Booting stops here if the wifi card is fixed to mobo.

So when you go to system prefs > network > + , you can see wifi? I cannot.

phew, that was a bit of a butt clencher for a while! I had to change the CSM settings in the the bios from Legacy Only to UEFI and Legacy - dont know how/why it was set to legacy only, that allowed the boot from USB. Up to Desktop - swapped in new EFI folder etc. Success! Thanks for the help Glasgood - Im conscious that this isn't meant to be a support line so many thanks.

Just as an aside, whilst watching in verbose mode, the boot sequence takes a long time as it goes through this check multiple times (each time takes a while)

apfs_vfsop_sync:2928: failed to finish all  transactions in sync()! (err 16)

this appears to be related to TRIM being enabled by default on an SSD - whether it supports it or not. (the EVO 960 does support it) but that seems to be the big holdup during boot.

Anyway Thanks again.

Cheers

Rob

If you have Bluetooth enabled then the cable with two wires is working, I'm not an electronics expert or amature, but if you have two cable's and I have three then I possibly may have an earth cable. Test WiFi card with Linux or Windows to confirm fault.  :)

nuts. came back this morn and the machine had restarted back to clover boot. won't boot again. prohibit symbol. stops at PTID sensors: started. won't boot boot from USB.

The only thing I changed from the new EFI and boot loader was added Rehabmans  HW monitor kexts.

nuts. came back this morn and the machine had restarted back to clover boot. won't boot again. prohibit symbol. stops at PTID sensors: started. won't boot boot from USB.

The only thing I changed from the new EFI and boot loader was added Rehabmans  HW monitor kexts.

Can you update BIOS to this >> latest version then boot with USB installer and replace system EFI  folder with >> this one  . I have removed HW monitor kexts .

Thanks for the awesome guide, glasgood. I've been following along with the updates and it's a great journey.

Some improvements I made to my own EFI that could work for everyone:

- Replaced apfs.efi with the latest version in 10.13.2, this removes the apfs related error messages when booting into Clover. apfs.efi.zip

- Added kexts to enable hardware video encoding/decoding using the Intel iGPU with Nvidia. Need to add shikigva=12 in boot args videodecodekexts.zip

- Added CodecCommander to fix audio issues after sleep. CodecCommander.kext.zip

Hope this helps!

bios ver 0605 or 0606 (on asus site)?

On the Asus UK site it only has Version 0605 listed, thats the one I'm using.

I'll go lockstep with your setup.

ASUS Uk now showing 0606 updated today

https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z370-G-GAMING-WI-FI-AC/HelpDesk_BIOS/

I tried to update to  v0606 via BIOS internet update, but got Asus message saying that v0605 was the most unto date BIOS. So far using latest EFI folder that I have uploaded, I have shutdown and restarted my machine numerous times and no ACPI related errors have been able to sucessfully boot into High Sierra. No prohibited signs, fingers crossed. Looks like old BIOS update and combined possibly with DSDT may be causing the ACPI errors. I think the HWsensors may have caused a separate system halt.

Thanks for the awesome guide, glasgood. I've been following along with the updates and it's a great journey.

- Replaced apfs.efi with the latest version in 10.13.2, this removes the apfs related error messages when booting into Clover. attachicon.gifapfs.efi.zip

- Added kexts to enable hardware video encoding/decoding using the Intel iGPU with Nvidia. Need to add shikigva=12 in boot args attachicon.gifvideodecodekexts.zip

- Added CodecCommander to fix audio issues after sleep. attachicon.gifCodecCommander.kext.zip

Hope this helps!

Hi ryokun6,

Thanks for sharing this, will try out the updated apfs.efi. I did have CodecCommander.kext installed, but removed it whilst troubleshooting the prohibited boot sign.

I have got hardware encoding working, I tried shake.kext and different flags to try and get iTunes streams working but had no success. As it stands I have Hardware Encoding enabled

using MacX Video Convertor Pro.  Will add CodecCommander soon  :)

- Replaced apfs.efi with the latest version in 10.13.2, this removes the apfs related error messages when booting into Clover. attachicon.gifapfs.efi.zip

- Added kexts to enable hardware video encoding/decoding using the Intel iGPU with Nvidia. Need to add shikigva=12 in boot args attachicon.gifvideodecodekexts.zip

- Added CodecCommander to fix audio issues after sleep. attachicon.gifCodecCommander.kext.zip

Hope this helps!

The new apfs.efi is good, the verbose text just before Clover boot screen is gone. Boot seem slightly faster. Again, thanks for sharing this.  :thumbsup_anim:  :thumbsup_anim:  :thumbsup_anim:

Why is Atheros E2200 Ethernet in the zipfile? 

Why is the older (1.2.0, not 1.2.1) of Apple ALC in there? 

Realtek 8111 driver - why? 

Questions  :) I've just recreated the USB installer will update it, been busy this morning . Use --> Post Install Folder at top of listing. 

I tried your updated EFI earlier this morning and I didn't get the prohibited sign once.

Everything went so well until just a moment ago I restarted and couldn't load the Nvidia Web Driver. I removed the DSDT and it worked, now the computer can't recover from sleep.

Haha. Gotta keep trying.