glasgood

[SUCCESS][GUIDE] Glasgood's High Sierra CoffeeLake: ASUS STRIX Z370-G - i7-8700 - GTX1080ti - UHD

303 posts in this topic

Hey @Glasgood,

I´ve followed your guide and redone things a few times, yet I have run into a problem when installing:

• When I get to the Boot screen with the High Sierra Installer, I do have a picture of the blurry High Sierra in the background, and 6 icons - but there are no Mac OS logos or any other way to pick an installer. (The image has moiré, my screen doesn´t look as weird as the pic indicates).

I´ve backtracked and tried retracing my steps, and even redone the installer several times on new USB key etc, but to no avail:

• RAM sticks are in A1 and A2 (Should I remove one?)
• I followed the guide for the USB stick

• OS High Sierra installer version 13.2.01

• Copied your EFI folder and files to the hidden EFI disk

• Removed the specific .aml file for your ASUS MB

• Tried several USB ports on new machine

• Updated BIOS to latest: 0802
• Changed the BIOS settings according to your guide

Any idea what is wrong and what to do?
:compress:  :)

post-1260652-0-66648500-1514379299_thumb.jpg

Advertisement

Hey @Glasgood,

I´ve followed your guide and redone things a few times, yet I have run into a problem when installing:

• When I get to the Boot screen with the High Sierra Installer, I do have a picture of the blurry High Sierra in the background, and 6 icons - but there are no Mac OS logos or any other way to pick an installer. (The image has moiré, my screen doesn´t look as weird as the pic indicates).

I´ve backtracked and tried retracing my steps, and even redone the installer several times on new USB key etc, but to no avail:

• RAM sticks are in A1 and A2 (Should I remove one?)

• I followed the guide for the USB stick

• OS High Sierra installer version 13.2.01

• Copied your EFI folder and files to the hidden EFI disk

• Removed the specific .aml file for your ASUS MB

• Tried several USB ports on new machine

• Updated BIOS to latest: 0802

• Changed the BIOS settings according to your guide

Any idea what is wrong and what to do?

:compress:  :)

Try and upgrade Clover first >> Steps if problem persists then upload your EFI folder ?

Sure can :)

I downloaded and installed Clover on my main drive - using the options you described (thanks!).
My EFI partition and USB stick were both mounted while I installed Clover, but not sure if it installed anything on these two drives.
Sorry - I´m probably slow, but do I need to choose the "hidden" EFI drive as destination for the install?
(If so, it´s not possible to install pref panel)

EFI.zip

Sure can :)

I downloaded and installed Clover on my main drive - using the options you described (thanks!).

My EFI partition and USB stick were both mounted while I installed Clover, but not sure if it installed anything on these two drives.

Sorry - I´m probably slow, but do I need to choose the "hidden" EFI drive as destination for the install?

(If so, it´s not possible to install pref panel)

Hi BauerMac,

The EFI folder you uploaded works on my Hackintosh with no problems, double check your BIOS settings. If your screen resolutions different from 2560x1440, then try changing that value with Clover Configurator. 

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:278365:Screen Shot 2017-12-27 at 14.47.27.png]

post-1077361-0-33250000-1514386186_thumb.png

FYI I noticed that I have several EFI partitions with the exact same size.
I actually managed to accidentally mount one that wasn´t connected to my OSX Installer USB, but hopefully didn´t mess anything up by copying elements to it :(

Anyways, here is a list of the disks I have.
Is there any chance that the Terminal commands in your guide can make an installation on the wrong EFI partition?
(I double-checked the USB stick and its EFI partition, and I DID copy your EFI folder over to that partition.)

Hi BauerMac,

The EFI folder you uploaded works on my Hackintosh with no problems, double check your BIOS settings. If your screen resolutions different from 2560x1440, then try changing that value with Clover Configurator. 

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:278365:Screen Shot 2017-12-27 at 14.47.27.png]

Cool, thanks for checking! :) :)

The only parts of your BIOS guide I´m unsure of are these two points:

1 Boot → CSM : Disabled ( If left enabled you will not have ugly resolution during boot) So I DISABLE it, right?
2 Ai Tweaker → Asus MultiCore Enhancement: Disable ( but only if you have intel stock CPU cooler ! ) I have a Noctua CPU cooler, so I do NOT disable, correct?

post-1260652-0-41494200-1514386391_thumb.png

FYI I noticed that I have several EFI partitions with the exact same size.

I actually managed to accidentally mount one that wasn´t connected to my OSX Installer USB, but hopefully didn´t mess anything up by copying elements to it :(

Anyways, here is a list of the disks I have.

Is there any chance that the Terminal commands in your guide can make an installation on the wrong EFI partition?

(I double-checked the USB stick and its EFI partition, and I DID copy your EFI folder over to that partition.)

Cool, thanks for checking! :) :)

The only parts of your BIOS guide I´m unsure of are these two points:

1 Boot → CSM : Disabled ( If left enabled you will not have ugly resolution during boot) So I DISABLE it, right?
2 Ai Tweaker → Asus MultiCore Enhancement: Disable ( but only if you have intel stock CPU cooler ! ) I have a Noctua CPU cooler, so I do NOT disable, correct?

It looks like you have managed to install Clover onto all your discs, are you also trying to dual boot with El Capitan ? You should only have Clover installed on one drive, thats the drive that contains High Sierra. You will have to remove the extra EFI partitions from 5 of those discs. Im assuming High Sierra is installed on disk0. If thats the case, use ESP mounter pro to mount the extra EFI partitions and then remove Clover content. Back up your Data before you proceed!  :)

Terminal commands, no.

Yes, disable CSM.

I would disable MCE to be on the safe side. You would have to test it and see what temps are like with your cooler.

post-1077361-0-09607200-1514386722_thumb.png

post-1077361-0-09607200-1514386722_thumb.png

OK, tried updating Clover on the EFI partition using the configurator.
Also tried checking screen resolution.

I´m possibly too dense or ignorant to understand this - but when importing the config file from my USB/High Sierra Installer (EFI partition) it seems I cannot update that file to a newer version. At least that´s what I conclude:

When choosing e.g. NVRAM or Themes Editor only my config from my EL CAPITAN install (old mac) shows up, so I figure I will be updating THAT version rather than the EFI partition, and I don´t feel like messing with that right now. 
I hope this makes sense - the Configurator doesn´t seem very intuitive - at least to me :)
If anyone has input, I´ll appreciate it.

It looks like you have managed to install Clover onto all your discs, are you also trying to dual boot with El Capitan ? You should only have Clover installed on one drive, thats the drive that contains High Sierra. You will have to remove the extra EFI partitions from 5 of those discs. Im assuming High Sierra is installed on disk0. If thats the case, use ESP mounter pro to mount the extra EFI partitions and then remove Clover content. Back up your Data before you proceed!  :)

Yes, I think you might be right. The Terminal command probably made an installation on all of them :o
I don´t have High Sierra on my current system, only on the 16 GB USB installer > does that change anything?

No, I´m not trying to have dual boot with El Capitan. That´s an error if it looks like that :)
"EL CAPITAN" Is my current boot drive.

I´ll try to mount them all and delete all the Clover content from them (except the USB and EL capitan boot drive).

However - that shouldn´t affect the USB, should it?

UPDATE:
• Removed Clover files from one, unrelated disk (storage unit).
• Cant figure out how to update Clover on USB (if possible).
I would think the Clover files from your EFI folder (that I copied) would be relatively updated. Will research.

• Can´t figure out how to change screen res on new machine vs Clover, and dunno if it´s relevant. Looks fine to me, but perhaps the missing boot/installation drives don´t show up because of screen size. Not sure.

OK, tried updating Clover on the EFI partition using the configurator.

Also tried checking screen resolution.

I´m possibly too dense or ignorant to understand this - but when importing the config file from my USB/High Sierra Installer (EFI partition) it seems I cannot update that file to a newer version. At least that´s what I conclude:

When choosing e.g. NVRAM or Themes Editor only my config from my EL CAPITAN install (old mac) shows up, so I figure I will be updating THAT version rather than the EFI partition, and I don´t feel like messing with that right now. 

I hope this makes sense - the Configurator doesn´t seem very intuitive - at least to me :)

If anyone has input, I´ll appreciate it.

Yes, I think you might be right. The Terminal command probably made an installation on all of them :o

I don´t have High Sierra on my current system, only on the 16 GB USB installer > does that change anything?

No, I´m not trying to have dual boot with El Capitan. That´s an error if it looks like that :)

"EL CAPITAN" Is my current boot drive.

I´ll try to mount them all and delete all the Clover content from them (except the USB and EL capitan boot drive).

However - that shouldn´t affect the USB, should it?

The terminal commands diskutil list and mount would not write any data to those partitions. If installing the Clover package, then Clover installer would write data to a partition. 

No need to delete EFI content from USB installer. In short, use the USB installer to install High Sierra onto your internal disc. Then copy the EFI folder from your USB installer, and paste it onto the EFI partition on the disc that contains High Sierra. 

Thanks - but... ;)

Maybe there is a basic misunderstanding here.

1) I am using my OLD/current Hackintosh to prepare a USB etc for my NEW, fresh, clean Hackintosh. There is currently nothing on my new machine other than an empty SSD and an updated BIOS.

2) I am not trying to install Hifg Sierra on my old machine ( the Hackintosh running El Capitan)

3) The screenshot with the missing High Sierra boot/install icon is from my NEW machine.

4) right now my issue is that I cannot install anything on my new Hackintosh since I cannot use the USB and/or cannot access the boot/install process on my new machine.

Hope this helps or removes any possible misunderstandings?

Thanks - but... ;)

Maybe there is a basic misunderstanding here.

1) I am using my OLD/current Hackintosh to prepare a USB etc for my NEW, fresh, clean Hackintosh. There is currently nothing on my new machine other than an empty SSD and an updated BIOS.

2) I am not trying to install Hifg Sierra on my old machine ( the Hackintosh running El Capitan)

3) The screenshot with the missing High Sierra boot/install icon is from my NEW machine.

4) right now my issue is that I cannot install anything on my new Hackintosh since I cannot use the USB and/or cannot access the boot/install process on my new machine.

Hope this helps or removes any possible misunderstandings

I see,

So at the moment you have a a computer build, as per the specifications on your signature ? 

Core i7 - 8700K • ASUS Maximus X Hero Z370 • Inno3D iChill GTX 1080 TI • 32 GB HyperX DDR4 • PSU: Corsair RM750X • CPU fan: Noctua NH-D15 • Samsung 500GB 850 EVO M.2 SSD • 7 HDD/SSD drives total • Corsair C70 modded case • Primary use: Creative work, video editing

When you boot from the USB Installer, your disc M.2 SSD is not recognised ?

If the M.2 ssd is not recognised, then you will have to initalise it. You can initialise the drive following steps in the guide. 

I see,

So at the moment you have a a computer build, as per the specifications on your signature ? 

Core i7 - 8700K • ASUS Maximus X Hero Z370 • Inno3D iChill GTX 1080 TI • 32 GB HyperX DDR4 • PSU: Corsair RM750X • CPU fan: Noctua NH-D15 • Samsung 500GB 850 EVO M.2 SSD • 7 HDD/SSD drives total • Corsair C70 modded case • Primary use: Creative work, video editing

When you boot from the USB Installer, your disc M.2 SSD is not recognised ?

If the M.2 ssd is not recognised, then you will have to initalise it. You can initialise the drive following steps in the guide. 

Yes, my new build is the one in the signature :)

And yes, I cannot use my M.2 drive ATM (It´s in my BIOS so it´s working), so I´ll try to initialize the drive when I get to that.

Right now I simply can´t get to the install process, so I seem to be stuck at the screenshot I uploaded.

No icon to click, no way to install anything as far as I can tell.

It seems as if something is missing, whether it´s the config file or some other command that makes the install disk/icon show up on the boot screen.

Yes, my new build is the one in the signature :)

And yes, I cannot use my M.2 drive ATM (It´s in my BIOS so it´s working), so I´ll try to initialize the drive when I get to that.

Right now I simply can´t get to the install process, so I seem to be stuck at the screenshot I uploaded.

No icon to click, no way to install anything as far as I can tell.

It seems as if something is missing, whether it´s the config file or some other command that makes the install disk/icon show up on the boot screen.

Try,

1. Check AHCI is enabled in BIOS: 

post-1077361-0-23172100-1514393944_thumb.png

2. Insert a Hard Drive from your other machine into the new build Hackintosh and check if it's recognised when booting with the USB installer.

If no joy with steps 1 and 2 then,

3. Recreate High Sierra USB installer, use >> ESP Mounter Pro to mount the USB EFI partition.

4. Copy downloaded EFI and paste into the EFI partition on USB installer. 

post-1077361-0-23172100-1514393944_thumb.png

Try,

1. Check AHCI is enabled in BIOS: CHECK. OK from the beginning.

2. Insert a Hard Drive from your other machine into the new build Hackintosh and check if it's recognised when booting with the USB installer. A bootable disk? Or just a storage unit? (Not sure anything but bootable disks will show up when booting, but I can try.)

If no joy with steps 1 and 2 then,

3. Recreate High Sierra USB installer, use >> ESP Mounter Pro to mount the USB EFI partition.

4. Copy downloaded EFI and paste into the EFI partition on USB installer. Will do regardless.

Thanks a bunch again for your help an patience :)

Really dont know what the issue is, but it´s highly frustrating that I cant access the installer.

Thanks a bunch again for your help an patience :)

Really dont know what the issue is, but it´s highly frustrating that I cant access the installer.

Try connecting a storage unit via sata cable.

Right now I can even start my old Hackintosh. (Had to restart it trying to create a new USB with an unmentionable alternative)

Nothing happens. Just a black screen - so for now Ill have fun trying to rescue that. FML.

Right now I can even start my old Hackintosh. (Had to restart it trying to create a new USB with ##### as alternative)

Nothing happens. Just a black screen - so for now Ill have fun trying to rescue that. FML.

:)

Right now I can even start my old Hackintosh. (Had to restart it trying to create a new USB with an unmentionable alternative)

I uploaded a YouTube 720p video on how to create USB installer and copy over the EFI folder.

I uploaded a YouTube 720p video on how to create USB installer and copy over the EFI folder.

Thank you SO much for taking time to do this! 

Not sure it will help me, though. 

I think I accidentally updated Clover on my current/old Hackintosh, and that´s why I get a black screen after the Clover bootloader page.

This is the Clover installer log.

Can you make anything of it? And can you tell me how to roll back to the previous version?

As far as I can tell, Clover made a backup, so perhaps I can somehow copy the backup files back into the EFI folder?

Just want to ask someone who knows what they are doing, before I F it all up even more.

Thank you!

:::::::::::::::::::::::::

Clover EFI installer log - Wed Dec 27 15:44:52 CET 2017
Installer version: v2.4k r4359 EFI bootloader
======================================================
/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:         GUID_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS MUSIK GRAFIK & FOTOS    499.8 GB   disk0s2
/dev/disk1 (internal, physical):
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk1
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk1s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS EL CAPITAN HD           499.2 GB   disk1s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk1s3
/dev/disk2 (internal, physical):
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk2
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk2s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS VIDEO & SFX             499.8 GB   disk2s2
/dev/disk3 (internal, physical):
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk3
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk3s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS VIDEO PROJEKTER         499.8 GB   disk3s2
/dev/disk4 (internal, physical):
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *1.0 TB     disk4
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk4s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS ARBEJDE                 999.9 GB   disk4s2
/dev/disk5 (internal, physical):
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *1.0 TB     disk5
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk5s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS ARKIV & MUSIKPROD       999.9 GB   disk5s2
/dev/disk6 (external, physical):
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *16.1 GB    disk6
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk6s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Install macOS High S... 15.7 GB    disk6s2
Backing up EFI files

Backing up /Volumes/EL CAPITAN HD/EFIROOTDIR/EFI folder to /Volumes/EL CAPITAN HD/EFI-Backups/r3423/2017-12-27-15h44/EFI > These are the files from the hidden EFI drive, right?
Installing BootSectors/BootLoader

Stage 0 - Don't write any of boot0af, boot0md, boot0ss to /
Stage 1 - Don't write any of boot1h2, boot1f32alt, boot1xalt to /

Removing drivers64UEFI/VBoxHfs-64.efi driver because HFSPlus driver present > SIGNIFICANT?

=========== Clover EFI Installation Finish ===========

And FWIW: Here is a screenshot of the EFI backups on my El Capitan main drive.

Dont quite understand why there are changes to several folders yesterday. I thought each folder represented a Clover version, but perhaps it means something different.

post-1260652-0-75519200-1514475917_thumb.png

Thank you SO much for taking time to do this! 

Not sure it will help me, though. 

I think I accidentally updated Clover on my current/old Hackintosh, and that´s why I get a black screen after the Clover bootloader page.

This is the Clover installer log.

Can you make anything of it? And can you tell me how to roll back to the previous version?

As far as I can tell, Clover made a backup, so perhaps I can somehow copy the backup files back into the EFI folder?

Just want to ask someone who knows what they are doing, before I F it all up even more.

Thank you!

:::::::::::::::::::::::::

Clover EFI installer log - Wed Dec 27 15:44:52 CET 2017
Installer version: v2.4k r4359 EFI bootloader
/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
   0:         GUID_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS MUSIK GRAFIK & FOTOS    499.8 GB   disk0s2
/dev/disk1 (internal, physical):
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk1
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk1s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS EL CAPITAN HD           499.2 GB   disk1s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk1s3
/dev/disk2 (internal, physical):
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk2
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk2s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS VIDEO & SFX             499.8 GB   disk2s2
/dev/disk3 (internal, physical):
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk3
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk3s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS VIDEO PROJEKTER         499.8 GB   disk3s2
/dev/disk4 (internal, physical):
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *1.0 TB     disk4
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk4s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS ARBEJDE                 999.9 GB   disk4s2
/dev/disk5 (internal, physical):
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *1.0 TB     disk5
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk5s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS ARKIV & MUSIKPROD       999.9 GB   disk5s2
/dev/disk6 (external, physical):
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *16.1 GB    disk6
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk6s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Install macOS High S... 15.7 GB    disk6s2
Backing up EFI files

Backing up /Volumes/EL CAPITAN HD/EFIROOTDIR/EFI folder to /Volumes/EL CAPITAN HD/EFI-Backups/r3423/2017-12-27-15h44/EFI > These are the files from the hidden EFI drive, right?
Installing BootSectors/BootLoader

Stage 0 - Don't write any of boot0af, boot0md, boot0ss to /
Stage 1 - Don't write any of boot1h2, boot1f32alt, boot1xalt to /

Removing drivers64UEFI/VBoxHfs-64.efi driver because HFSPlus driver present > SIGNIFICANT?

=========== Clover EFI Installation Finish ===========

And FWIW: Here is a screenshot of the EFI backups on my El Capitan main drive.

Dont quite understand why there are changes to several folders yesterday. I thought each folder represented a Clover version, but perhaps it means something different.

If the most recent version of Clover r4359 caused problem with your Hackintosh install, then you could roll back to Clover r4003. You would just drag and drop the Clover r4003 EFI folder into your system EFI partition,  thats the EFI partition on the disc that you have Mac OS installed on.

If the most recent version of Clover r4359 caused problem with your Hackintosh install, then you could roll back to Clover r4003. You would just drag and drop the Clover r4003 EFI folder into your system EFI partition,  thats the EFI partition on the disc that you have Mac OS installed on.

Cool. Just to be sure:

I don´t make ANY changes to the HIDDEN EFI partition?

I simply replace the current EFI folder on my EL Capitan drive (El Capitan HD > EFI ) with the EFI folder from the backup:

El Capitan HD > EFI-Backups > R4003 > and then which folder? "2017-02-16-22h57" or "2017-12-27-15h38" including the boot-file?

I´m thinking the folder created yesterday would also contain updated (and problematic) files - but perhaps it´s simply a timestamp for when the files was backed up?

Cool. Just to be sure:

I don´t make ANY changes to the HIDDEN EFI partition?

I simply replace the current EFI folder on my EL Capitan drive (El Capitan HD > EFI ) with the EFI folder from the backup:

El Capitan HD > EFI-Backups > R4003 > and then which folder? "2017-02-16-22h57" or "2017-12-27-15h38" including the boot-file?

Yes, replace current EFI folder with backup "2017-02-16-22h57".

OK, I replaced the EFI folder on the EL Capitan HD drive (not the hidden EFI partition).
Nothing changed. Still a black screen.

Tried diff boot options, including non-Nvidia, boot w/ Nvidia web drivers, safe mode, verbose etc. Nothing.

Im guessing I need to replace the EFI on the HIDDEN EFI partition with the backup...or?
(FYI: The current EFI folder on the hidden partition doesnt seem to have been updated yesterday.)

Why do you have an EFI folder on your hard drive's OS partition?  You should only have the EFI folder on the EFI hidden partition; I suggest you remove everything else elsewhere so you just have ONE EFI folder on ONE hidden EFI partition.  

Focus on fixing that. 

OK, I replaced the EFI folder on the EL Capitan HD drive (not the hidden EFI partition).

Nothing changed. Still a black screen.

Tried diff boot options, including non-Nvidia, boot w/ Nvidia web drivers, safe mode, verbose etc. Nothing.

Im guessing I need to replace the EFI on the HIDDEN EFI partition with the backup...or?

(FYI: The current EFI folder on the hidden partition doesnt seem to have been updated yesterday.)

As per bluesceens above, it's better to remove / disconnect those storage discs from your Hackintosh machine and keep only one drive connected, and thats the system drive that you intend to restore or reinstall macOS.  Once you can successfully boot to OS X desktop, then reattach the storage discs. 

My approach on this would be:

1 - Remove the system drive that has OS X installed from your computer.

2 - Keep the Storage Drive attached to your computer.

3 - Download GParted.

4-  Boot from GParted and carefully delete the EFI partitions form your storage drives.

5 - Then, remove storage drives from computer.

6 - Connect your OS X drive

7 - Troubleshoot and get OS X working.

8 - Then add your storage drives back.

Why do you have an EFI folder on your hard drive's OS partition?  You should only have the EFI folder on the EFI hidden partition; I suggest you remove everything else elsewhere so you just have ONE EFI folder on ONE hidden EFI partition.  

Focus on fixing that. 

Hey @Bluescreens,

I honestly have no idea. I didn´t put it there, so I figured it was part of the Clover install. :worried_anim: 

Maybe it was installed when I upgraded to El Capitan back in February. No clue.

I´ll try removing the whole EFI folder from "El Capitan HD", keep everything on the (hidden) EFI partition, and see if that helps. 

If not, I´ll try the suggestions from @Glasgood.

PS: Any idea if I should also delete the "boot" and "nvram.plist" files from my "El Capitan HD" drive/folder?

Thanks again, gentlemen! I´m really happy to have someone smarter than me helping me out  :thumbsup_anim: