glasgood

[SUCCESS][GUIDE] Glasgood's High Sierra CoffeeLake: ASUS STRIX Z370-G - i7-8700 - GTX1080ti - UHD

309 posts in this topic

Thanks a lot, Bluescreens! :)

One follow-up question to point 3:

Maybe I was unclear, but I want to ONLY use the M.2 SSD while setting up the new machine, THEN transfer (physically) the rest of my drives when the main drive is ready to go. Will I have to make any changes once the additional drives are added to the new machine?

You should be able to transfer your drives over, no changes to BIOS. If one of those drives contains Windows, then ensure that Windows drive was an EFI install. If you other drivers are for Storage, then you might not be able to write to those Storage drives via macOS, unless you have NTFS support. I usually have a storage drive formatted in FAT so that I can access data from Sierra and Windows. The only drawback with FAT is the limited file size. I think you can install an NTFS driver via Clover Configurator. 

You will want the Bluetooth if you intend using Handoff etc. 

Advertisement

Great guide! I have a similar build that I have near perfect working condition. Has anyone had any luck with the Pascal Multi-Display issues? I am running a triple monitor setup, currently I can only boot with one monitor connected and have to connect the other monitors afterwords. Currently using the Lilu/NvidiaGraphicsFixUp fix, Z370-F DSDT (near identical board, no solutions for the Z370-E that I could find).

First of all THANK YOU for your fantastic build.

I have your own components.

This WiFI/ Bt Schede https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B00MBP25UK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

but after installation the bt does not work.

I followed your guide but I do not understand what is wrong.

How can I solve?

Thanks 

First of all THANK YOU for your fantastic build.

This WiFI/ Bt Schede https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B00MBP25UK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

but after installation the bt does not work.

I followed your guide but I do not understand what is wrong.

How can I solve?

Thanks 

There are a couple of factors to consider with PCIE_x1 slots, try to place it on the first (PCIE1_1) slot available. If you are not running a custom DSDT or patched config.plist some of the other PCIE slots wont be recognized MacOS. Sometimes it also helpts to make sure its seated in the PCIE slot correctly, these cards don't always set so easily. The one I got needs a little extra push to set the front side of the pins into the slot. Even then sometimes I have to reboot to get it to recognize both WIFI and Bluetooth.

There are a couple of factors to consider with PCIE_x1 slots, try to place it on the first (PCIE1_1) slot available. If you are not running a custom DSDT or patched config.plist some of the other PCIE slots wont be recognized MacOS. Sometimes it also helpts to make sure its seated in the PCIE slot correctly, these cards don't always set so easily. The one I got needs a little extra push to set the front side of the pins into the slot. Even then sometimes I have to reboot to get it to recognize both WIFI and Bluetooth.

Thanks for the reply.

I followed all the guide.

I installed the card as in a photo of a Glasgood.

Wifi works correctly but the bt no.

I restarted several times but nothing to do.

Thanks for the reply.

I followed all the guide.

I installed the card as in a photo of a Glasgood.

Wifi works correctly but the bt no.

I restarted several times but nothing to do.

Hi, 

As per @dpgowan good advise, but ensure that you have the usb cable attached to your WIFI card and attached to USB 2.0 on your motherboard. Here is a picture of my set up. If you have same motherboard Z370-G ? and WiFi card then bluetooth should work. if Wifi is installed as per my picture below then try and reseat USB cable and check BIOS USB settings as per guide.  If unssucessful then possibly a fault with card / can you test it in windows and confirm Bluetooth working ? 

See guide for instructions on how to install Windows Drivers for Wifi & Blutooth.

Best!  :)

post-1077361-0-68795900-1514032485_thumb.jpg

post-1077361-0-68795900-1514032485_thumb.jpg

Hi, 

As per @dpgowan good advise, but ensure that you have the usb cable attached to your WIFI card and attached to USB 2.0 on your motherboard. Here is a picture of my set up. If you have same motherboard Z370-G ? and WiFi card then bluetooth should work. if Wifi is installed as per my picture below then try and reseat USB cable and check BIOS USB settings as per guide.  If unssucessful then possibly a fault with card / can you test it in windows and confirm Bluetooth working ? 

See guide for instructions on how to install Windows Drivers for Wifi & Blutooth.

Best!  :)

Resolved.
My fault.
The bios was before the 4030 version.
Upgrade the bios and everything works regularly.

THANKS THANKS THANKS

:thumbsup_anim:  :thumbsup_anim:  :thumbsup_anim:  :thumbsup_anim:

A little tip/input for those who are creating a bootable installation USB:
Glassgood´s guide suggests a Terminal code that I had trouble using on my (current) Mac, so I found this alternative that works fine:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/nameofyourUSB

Hope this helps :)

@Glasgood, 

I don´t quite understand how to perform the "Legacy Shim 2 error fix".
I cannot find the files you´re referring to in Clover Configurator, so perhaps I am doing this wrong.

1) Do I perform this fix with Clover Configurator ON MY NEW HACKINTOSH, or while configuring the install/bootable USB on my current/"old" Hack/Mac?
2) Will doing it on my NEW Hackintosh reveal the files to fix, or how does this work?

Thanks! :)

A little tip/input for those who are creating a bootable installation USB:

Glassgood´s guide suggests a Terminal code that I had trouble using on my (current) Mac, so I found this alternative that works fine:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/nameofyourUSB

Hope this helps :)

@Glasgood, 

I don´t quite understand how to perform the "Legacy Shim 2 error fix".

I cannot find the files you´re referring to in Clover Configurator, so perhaps I am doing this wrong.

1) Do I perform this fix with Clover Configurator ON MY NEW HACKINTOSH, or while configuring the install/bootable USB on my current/"old" Hack/Mac?

2) Will doing it on my NEW Hackintosh reveal the files to fix, or how does this work?

Thanks! 

If you are using my EFI folder then you don't have to install Clover onto your High Sierra USB installer. If you intend on creating a vanilla USB Clover installer then install Clover onto the High Sierra USB installer, when Clover is installed the USB EFI partition will automaticaly mount, you then copy over the mentioned kexts to Kext's other folder. Then use Clover Configurator and add the AppleUSBXHICIP patch, see screenshot.  You have to manually add the patch using Clover Configurator.

Patch

• Name: AppleUSBXHICIP
  • Find* [HEX] 837d8c10
  • Replace* [HEX] 837d8c1b
  • Comment: Change 15 port limitation.

As it's a vanilla High Sierra Clover installer, it's assuming you are going to do all the ground work for your build, such as extra Clover config.plist edits and adding / sourcing extra kext's to support hardware etc. Thats all been done if you use my EFI folder!.  I just explained the Clover installer for purpose of new build hackintosher's ( newbies )  so that those using the EFI folder can understand the relationship with Clover. 

:)

If you are using my EFI folder then you don't have to install Clover onto your High Sierra USB installer. If you intend on creating a vanilla USB Clover installer then install Clover onto the High Sierra USB installer, when Clover is installed the USB EFI partition will automaticaly mount, you then copy over the mentioned kexts to Kext's other folder. Then use Clover Configurator and add the AppleUSBXHICIP patch, see screenshot.  You have to manually add the patch using Clover Configurator.

Patch

• Name: AppleUSBXHICIP
  • Find* [HEX] 837d8c10
  • Replace* [HEX] 837d8c1b
  • Comment: Change 15 port limitation.

As it's a vanilla High Sierra Clover installer, it's assuming you are going to do all the ground work for your build, such as extra Clover config.plist edits and adding / sourcing extra kext's to support hardware etc. Thats all been done if you use my EFI folder!.  I just explained the Clover installer for purpose of new build hackintosher's ( newbies )  so that those using the EFI folder can understand the relationship with Clover. 

OK, thanks!

Also: 

Please spell it out for me how to do the patch, as I don´t know how to find the file you´re referring to...

Check my screengrab.

Do I manually type in something, or how do I access the files that need patching?

And since I have already used Clover to create a bootable USB with the standard files in the 2 EFI folders (didn´t understand the part where I could just copy your EFI files over) - can I still just copy/replace the existing EFI folders with the ones you´ve created, or do I need to start all over?

Which package?

Do I pick ONLY the NVIDIA folder now that I´m gonna use my Geforce GPU, or do I also download and copy the INTEL folder?

I´m guessing the INTEL folder is only for those not using a dedicated GPU...?

And one last thing (for now):

You mentioned that we have similar but not identical motherboards: Can I just use your EFI folders/files "as is", or do I need to change anything now?

EDIT: Reading it again I can see you tell me to delete the "ASUS-Z370-G-USB-PORTS.aml" file from the Clover/ACPI/patched folder.

I´m guessing it´s possible to somehow find a suitable replacement for my X Hero MB somewhere.

Any idea on there to look?

Thanks again! :)

post-1260652-0-49143100-1514049190_thumb.png

OK, thanks!

Also: 

Please spell it out for me how to do the patch, as I don´t know how to find the file you´re referring to...

Check my screengrab.

Do I manually type in something, or how do I access the files that need patching?

And since I have already used Clover to create a bootable USB with the standard files in the 2 EFI folders (didn´t understand the part where I could just copy your EFI files over) - can I still just copy/replace the existing EFI folders with the ones you´ve created, or do I need to start all over?

Which package?

Do I pick ONLY the NVIDIA folder now that I´m gonna use my Geforce GPU, or do I also download and copy the INTEL folder?

You mentioned that we have similar but not identical motherboards: Can I just use your EFI folders/files "as is", or do I need to change anything now?

OK, thanks!

Also: 

Check my screengrab.

Which package?

Download >> NVIDIA CLOVER EFI and extract folder, mount your USB installer's EFI / ESP partition. Place EFI folder inside the EFI / ESP partition. Intel Clover EFI folder only for Intel. No need to worry about patch if using EFI folder above.  As you have different Motherboard, when Clover USB  EFI / ESP is mounted, go to Clover/ACPI/patched and delete Asus-Z370-G-USB-PORTS.aml file. Sorry, but my time is limited on this, I can't provide personal support. The guide works for Z370-G,  just follow the guide and skip the Clover Spoiler. 

post-1077361-0-62117900-1514050197_thumb.png

Best  :)

New Clovers are periodically released - I think one just got released a week or so ago.  Should we consider updating to that newest Clover?  Is it as simple as putting the Clover binary on the EFI partition in the right place (drop and go) or is additional configuration required?  Is there significant risk to this? 

Download >> NVIDIA CLOVER EFI and extract folder, mount your USB installer's EFI / ESP partition. Place EFI folder inside the EFI / ESP partition. Intel Clover EFI folder only for Intel.

No need to worry about path if using EFI folder above. 

attachicon.gifpost-1077361-0-73481600-1513378493.png

best.

Cool, thanks! Already fixed  :thumbsup_anim: 

And what about the main (non-hidden) USB disk image where the OS HS installer is?

I already installed some files using Clover Bootloader. (See attached)

Do I leave them there or replace them with your EFI folder?

post-1260652-0-55084900-1514050649_thumb.png

New Clovers are periodically released - I think one just got released a week or so ago.  Should we consider updating to that newest Clover?  Is it as simple as putting the Clover binary on the EFI partition in the right place (drop and go) or is additional configuration required?  Is there significant risk to this? 

Its something I have not tried yet. But if I was upgrading I would backup EFI folder then Install latest Clover. After Clover install, I would replace kexts folder and config.plist  with the ones from my EFI backup folder. Risk ?  possibly!  :) but it's easy to recover from,  as you would just replace the upgraded Clover EFI Folder with your EFI Folder backup.

Cool, thanks! Already fixed  

And what about the main (non-hidden) USB disk image where the OS HS installer is?

I already installed some files using Clover Bootloader. (See attached)

Do I leave them there or replace them with your EFI folder?

This is what you should see and have on your desktop:

post-1077361-0-65529500-1514051582_thumb.png

:thumbsup_anim:

post-1077361-0-65529500-1514051582_thumb.png

Its something I have not tried yet. But if I was upgrading I would backup EFI folder then Install latest Clover. After Clover install, I would replace kexts folder and config.plist  with the ones from my EFI backup folder. Risk ?  possibly!  :) but it's easy to recover from,  as you would just replace the upgraded Clover EFI Folder with your EFI Folder backup.

This is what you should see and have on your desktop:

:thumbsup_anim:

This is what I have - so should I DELETE the "EFI" folder and "boot" file from the "Install macOS High Sierra" USB?

Also:

How did you get or create the "ASUS-Z370-G-USB-PORTS.aml" file for your EFI folder/setup?

I´d like to find or create one for my ASUS X Hero MB if possible.

post-1260652-0-03391000-1514053079_thumb.png

This is what I have - so should I DELETE the "EFI" folder and "boot" file from the "Install macOS High Sierra" USB?

Also:

How did you get or create the "ASUS-Z370-G-USB-PORTS.aml" file for your EFI folder/setup?

I´d like to find or create one for my ASUS X Hero MB if possible.

I actually got this from pastrychef @TM

I upgrade to the latest Clover, here is how I did this ?

1. Download and run the latest Clover

2. Choose Install for UEFI booting.

3. Choose Install Clover Preference Pane.

4. Install

post-1077361-0-90471200-1514054586_thumb.png

After update, all future updates can be done using the Preference Pane.

post-1077361-0-30242200-1514054631_thumb.png

post-1077361-0-90471200-1514054586_thumb.png

post-1077361-0-30242200-1514054631_thumb.png

OK - and do you know if I even NEED a specific .aml file for my MB?

As far as I can read, the X Hero is more advanced (more USB ports and options?) than the micro-ATX Z370-G, and I can´t find anyone else using patched ACPI for other ASUS Z3XX ROG MB´s - but again, I dunno for sure.

I´ve researched a bit, and can´t find any DSDT or aml files for my MB.

I´ll also try contacting PastryChef.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks again for your help! :)

OK - and do you know if I even NEED a specific .aml file for my MB?

As far as I can read, the X Hero is more advanced (more USB ports and options?) than the micro-ATX Z370-G, and I can´t find anyone else using patched ACPI for other ASUS Z3XX ROG MB´s - but again, I dunno for sure.

I´ve researched a bit, and can´t find any DSDT or aml files for my MB.

I´ll also try contacting PastryChef.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks again for your help! :)

send me ur original DSDT, extract with F4 key in Clover boot screen, files generated in Clover/acpi/origin

post one ioreg too, open, File, Save as

IORegistryExplorer.app.zip

I upgrade to the latest Clover, here is how I did this ?

1. Download and run the latest Clover

2. Choose Install for UEFI booting.

3. Choose Install Clover Preference Pane.

4. Install

After update, all future updates can be done using the Preference Pane.

Works perfectly.  Running latest Clover now. 

In PowerManagement and in DSDT (in the documentation, the original post) the "PluginType" should be both ticked and unticked.  Can you clarify on this point of confusion?  

In PowerManagement and in DSDT (in the documentation, the original post) the "PluginType" should be both ticked and unticked.  Can you clarify on this point of confusion?

If using DSDT then PluginType is false, but if not using DSDT then PluginType is true.

Hi glasgood!

First of all thank you very much for the guide! It is super useful for an Hackintosh newbie like me.

While installing I had one minor issue which I could solve by deleting EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/EmuVariableUefi-64.efi

I put it back after installation and it works fine.

But I have two questions left:

1. after installation, can I restore the recommended RAM slot configuration as written in the motherboards manual?

2. I enabled Filevault and after it finished my OSX isn't listed in Clover anymore. Is there any way to fix this? I really prefer to have Filevault enabled.

Hi glasgood!

First of all thank you very much for the guide! It is super useful for an Hackintosh newbie like me.

While installing I had one minor issue which I could solve by deleting EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/EmuVariableUefi-64.efi

I put it back after installation and it works fine.

But I have two questions left:

1. after installation, can I restore the recommended RAM slot configuration as written in the motherboards manual?

2. I enabled Filevault and after it finished my OSX isn't listed in Clover anymore. Is there any way to fix this? I really prefer to have Filevault enabled.

Hi, add the memory using Clover Configurator as per guide. I have never used FileVault, but I had a quick search. It seem that it can be changed by booting with your USB High Sierra installer and then using disk utility to turn it off, also you could try recovery option in Clover. Merry Christmas?

add the memory using Clover Configurator as per guide

I don't know how I could miss that, thanks!

For Filevault:

It took me some time and googling but I finally got it working without turning it off!

First of all I had to modify the config.plist I downloaded from your guide and had to undo the "Tidy clover boot screen" section of your guide.

Apparently for Filevault you need to show Preboot options.

Also I downloaded a keyboard driver from this thread:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/filevault-and-sierra-guide-for-noobs-like-me.221425/

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/filevault-and-sierra-guide-for-noobs-like-me.221425/page-2#post-1544038

And put it into EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/

Now I have an extra option in clover for my Filevault.

I get a little graphics glitch while Filevault decrypts the drive but I can live with it.

Also my GTX1070s fans spin at max speed for half a second on boot but I think they did it after I installed the Nvidia driver.

I am super happy with my Hackintosh right now! Thank you so much!

I also wish you a merry Christmas!

Great guide! I have a similar build that I have near perfect working condition. Has anyone had any luck with the Pascal Multi-Display issues? I am running a triple monitor setup, currently I can only boot with one monitor connected and have to connect the other monitors afterwords. Currently using the Lilu/NvidiaGraphicsFixUp fix, Z370-F DSDT (near identical board, no solutions for the Z370-E that I could find).

I can confirm that the fix I needed to get a multi-display setup to work on boot was in fact to set CSM to ENABLED in BIOS along with the Lilu/NvidiaGraphicsFixUp kext combination on my Z370-E. See this post for more information.