Marvell (Aquantia) 10 Gb Ethernet support thread

d5aqoep
498 posts in this topic

This is what working Aquantia AQC107 in a REAL iMac Pro shows

4Po67w7.png

and this is what my Hackintosh's ASUS XG-C100C shows

q4blrmC.png

Device ID is different so would it be possible to spoof device id with fakepciid kext and some kext patch?

Sorry for late reply,

Here is my IOReg. No idea how to get ACPI dump.

qtPyaAX.png

A0IY2wa.png

The driver reads local-mac-address from IOPCDevice for mac address, if you inject this property to PEGP@0, that should set the mac address correctly.

Is there any chance to change to EEPROM of the card to permanently change the device id? A few people did that with the Intel X540-T1 to use the SmallTree kext.

ethtool -E --change-eeprom

If value is specified, changes EEPROM byte for the specified network device. offset and value specify which byte and it's new value. If value is not specified, stdin is read and written to the EEPROM. The length and offset parameters allow writing to certain portions of the EEPROM. Because of the persistent nature of writing to the EEPROM, a device-specific magic key must be specified to prevent the accidental writing to the EEPROM.

What do you think?

• 2 weeks later...

You probably need to set the subsystem id too 0x187 .

I did not set or change any subsystem ID. It worked perfect as soon as I was on latest clover and 10.13.3 B5

To do some testing, I wiped 10.13.3 B5 and re-installed fresh version 10.13.2 and Ethernet still works and it worked OOB. It was also working during setup process.

On Windows 10, I force installed the Aquantia v2 driver found in iMacPro1,1 bootcamp package. Does Windows driver update device firmware, change any SubsystemID or anything like that? 

EeEjGbU.png

For those who want to try V2 drivers for Aquantia based cards for Windows, I have extracted these drivers from iMacPro1,1 bootcamp installer package. You have to force install them manually in device manager and ignore Windows incompatibility warnings.

Windows 10 X64 only

I uninstalled the V2 drivers in Windows and something strange happened. Now the official ASUS V1 drivers are refusing to install and it is only accepting Apple's iMacPro1,1 (V2) drivers without any incompatibility warnings. Does it mean that the V2 drivers converted my card into Apple's official card? LMAO.

Can someone else test this? Because the card now works perfectly/natively in macOS 12.13.2 and up.

ioreg attached.

d5aqoep’s iMac.zip

I did not set or change any subsystem ID. It worked perfect as soon as I was on latest clover and 10.13.3 B5

To do some testing, I wiped 10.13.3 B5 and re-installed fresh version 10.13.2 and Ethernet still works and it worked OOB. It was also working during setup process.

On Windows 10, I force installed the Aquantia v2 driver found in iMacPro1,1 bootcamp package. Does Windows driver update device firmware, change any SubsystemID or anything like that? 

EeEjGbU.png

For those who want to try V2 drivers for Aquantia based cards for Windows, I have extracted these drivers from iMacPro1,1 bootcamp installer package. You have to force install them manually in device manager and ignore Windows incompatibility warnings.

Windows 10 X64 only

I uninstalled the V2 drivers in Windows and something strange happened. Now the official ASUS V1 drivers are refusing to install and it is only accepting Apple's iMacPro1,1 (V2) drivers without any incompatibility warnings. Does it mean that the V2 drivers converted my card into Apple's official card? LMAO.

Can someone else test this? Because the card now works perfectly/natively in macOS 12.13.2 and up.

ioreg attached.

Both device id and subsystem id changed.  Firmware version changed too. You need to bring the device id back to 0xd107 for windows ASUS to work.

With the tweaked boot camp drivers, does the card still work in Windows?

Fearful of breaking the card in CentOS, but what the hell. I'll report back later.

CentOS probably not work.  Apple changes the firmware.

Yes, with Apple bootcamp driver.

Those are not tweaked bootcamp drivers. They are straight from Aquantia and included in iMacPro1,1 bootcamp package by Apple themselves. They pass WHQL compatibility test.

Right now, ASUS and Aquantia list V1 driver on their support sites.

Bootcamp driver version is V2.

Another user has confirmed that he managed to get his Gigabyte branded AQC107 to work after upgrading High Sierra 10.13.2 to 10.13.3 Beta 6.

So Apple is changing the card’s firmware/subsystem ID during the update process and it becomes compatible forever. Then it also starts working on fresh install of 10.13.2 out of box.

The findings are rather strange.

Those are not tweaked bootcamp drivers. They are straight from Aquantia and included in iMacPro1,1 bootcamp package by Apple themselves. They pass WHQL compatibility test.

Right now, ASUS and Aquantia list V1 driver on their support sites.

Bootcamp driver version is V2.

Another user has confirmed that he managed to get his Gigabyte branded AQC107 to work after upgrading High Sierra 10.13.2 to 10.13.3 Beta 6.

So Apple is changing the card’s firmware/subsystem ID during the update process and it becomes compatible forever. Then it also starts working on fresh install of 10.13.2 out of box.

The findings are rather strange.

Got it. Did the driver update in Windows but no go in 10.13.2 here. Device ID is still 0xd107.

Looks like i'm waiting for 10.13.3. Thanks for all the info, you guys rock.

So Apple is changing the card’s firmware/subsystem ID during the update process and it becomes compatible forever.

Can this really be what is happening? Why would Apple even do this? And through what mechanism?

This doesn't add up for me. Any further thoughts d5aqoep?

Can this really be what is happening? Why would Apple even do this? And through what mechanism?

This doesn't add up for me. Any further thoughts d5aqoep?

macOS will not be expecting any other company's AQC107 card because they don't really care about hackintosh users. If a card with Aquantia's AQC107 chipset is found, the software updater proceeds with firmware upgrade assuming it is in iMacPro. When firmware is upgraded, you get a card which not only works in macOS out of the box, but also accepts Apple's special bootcamp drivers in Windows.

It may even be a pure bug that Apple is upgrading firmware regardless of different subsystem ID of our ASUS cards.

• Like 1

macOS will not be expecting any other company's AQC107 card because they don't really care about hackintosh users. If a card with Aquantia's AQC107 chipset is found, the software updater proceeds with firmware upgrade assuming it is in iMacPro. When firmware is upgraded, you get a card which not only works in macOS out of the box, but also accepts Apple's special bootcamp drivers in Windows.

It may even be a pure bug that Apple is upgrading firmware regardless of different subsystem ID of our ASUS cards.

Thanks. I wonder if the updater specifically looks out for the Mac being an iMac or whether this would also happen when in a cMP.

10.13.3 = working AQC-107 cards. 

Speeds over SMB suck, but AFP rocks, hitting same speeds I do on CentOS and Windows to my Freenas with Chelsio 10G-BaseT card.

I'll give NFS a shot once i figure out how FSTAB works on MacOS.

Today was a good day. 

• Like 2