Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sasa.1

Wrong resolution on VMware

3 posts in this topic

Hello everyone

I have a problem setting the virtual OS X to display the screen's native resolution(1600x900). When the machine first boots up, it displays the right resolution then after the logging in by a few moments the screen displays a wrong resolution(800x450 HIPDI) which is a quarter of the resolution.

I have macOS High Sierra (10.13.1) on VMware Workstation 14 Pro version: 14.0.0 build-6661328. My laptop has i5-4310U CPU with HD graphics 4400 which has 128mb dedicated video memory and a 1600x900 screen.

I have installed VMware tools that was created on 14 September 2017 and VMware unlocker version 2.1.1 made by DrDonk.

When logging in the background isn't the blurred wallpaper and the dock isn't transparent as it should be, or at least from what I saw on the internet.

Here is what I have tried up until now:

1) Changing the resolution from the system preferences.

2) Using

sudo /Library/Application\ Support/VMware\ Tools/vmware-resolutionSet 1600 900

Which displayed this output: 

Requested resolution: 1600x900
Effective resolution: 1600x900

Without any result.

3) I tried setting the screen's native resolution in the Display settings of VMware, still nothing.

4) I also tried to change virtualHW.version from 14 to 10 but it also did not do anything noticeable. The only thing that changed is that the blurred wallpaper was in the background when logging in.

One thing to note is that it runs correctly up until 1366x768. I think the problem may be that the OS tries to load kexts after the logging in that interferes with the VMware tools, but I am not sure or that there is a hardware limitation, but I do not know a way to test it.

Does anyone know how to fix that?

Advertisement

I was having the same issue with my 10.12 VM in ESXi 6.0.  I would go to display resolution and try to select 1600x900 and it would auto-switch it to 800x450 HiDPI no matter what I did.  I was able to fix it by doing the following:

1) Open terminal in the OSX VM

2) Enter the following command (no quotes) "sudo defaults delete /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist DisplayResolutionEnabled"

3) Enter you admin password

4) Restart the VM

When the VM restarts it will now go to 1600x900 and the 800x450 HiDPI setting is gone.

On 1/12/2017 at 9:24 PM, moisiss said:

I was having the same issue with my 10.12 VM in ESXi 6.0.  I would go to display resolution and try to select 1600x900 and it would auto-switch it to 800x450 HiDPI no matter what I did.  I was able to fix it by doing the following:

1) Open terminal in the OSX VM

2) Enter the following command (no quotes) "sudo defaults delete /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist DisplayResolutionEnabled"

3) Enter you admin password

4) Restart the VM

When the VM restarts it will now go to 1600x900 and the 800x450 HiDPI setting is gone.

I just wanted to say that this worked for me with 3400x1440 resolution.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By crazybirdy
      Patched OSInstaller.framework to allow macOS 10.13 installation on MBR partition.

To use those patched files you must follow HowTo-10.13.x to create an USB installer. You can't just run the app downloaded from Mac App Store.

The patch is made base on 落下爱@pcbeta 10.10.x MBR patch method, and more patch for 10.13 Firmware check by crazybirdy.

What is this patched OSInstaller doing?
      1. Patch the MBR check, allow macOS 10.14 installation on MBR partition.
      2. Patch the Firmware check, bypass the error of "An error occurred while verifying firmware".
      3. This patched MBR OSInstaller method works with both MBR and GPT partition (GPT+recovery).

No longer need to set new SMbiosversion, FirmwareFeatures, and FirmwareFeaturesMask with this MBR-patch.

How to make 10.13 installer for MBR?
      Read HowTo-10.13.x.txt inside the zip file first, different with 10.12.
      Read HowTo Q/A Q7. How to install in different computer with only one USB partition?
      Read HowTo Q/A Q8. How to update 10.13.x combo-update to MBR without downloading the full installer app again?
      Read HowTo Q/A Q9. How to update 10.13.x combo-update to MBR and GPT with installScript directly?

Just use 13MBRinstallerMaker to make installer, it works with both MBR and GPT.

And, need a SMBIOS supported with /System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist.

• By fusion71au
      Clover r4542 ISO compiled with GCC and minimal config.plist compatible for use in VMWare Workstation.

Tested with unlocked Workstation 14 running OSX 10.9 -->10.14 guest in Windows X64 host.

Installation
      1. Download and unzip "EFI_Clover_r4542 for VMware.zip". Mount Clover-v2.4k-4542-X64.iso by double clicking on it.
      2. Mount your VM's EFI System Partition eg in terminal
      sudo diskutil mount disk0s1   3. Copy EFI folder from step 1 into the EFI partition
      4. Shutdown the VM, add bios.bootDelay = "3000" to your VM's vmx file
      5. Reboot your VM, press <F2> to access the VMware Boot Manager and add CLOVERX64.efi to the boot menu.

Substitute your own unique and valid MLB and ROM variables in the /EFI/CLOVER/config.plist (Rt Variables section) to activate iMessage/Facetime on your VM.
    • By ketschak
      I'm running Mac OS High Sierra in VM Ware Workstation 14 Player on a Windows 10 host.
      While it is possible to copy and paste text from the host to the guest, it is not possible to copy and paste from guest to host when running the virtual machine in fullscreen mode with "vmware-kvm.exe".
      However, it is working if I run the virtual machine directly in vmplayer in windowed mode.
      Any idea how to fix this?

• By rvxtm
      Hello,

Maybe i am the only one seeing this or maybe i am doing something wrong but my resize animation performance in HS 10.13.5 is terrible.
      I did a clean install of 10.13.5, installed the latest nvidia drivers 387.10.10.10.35.106. 
      My GPU is a GTX1060 connected via DP to a 4k display.
      Now, the issue, when i open an empty TextEdit for example, if i drag the corner of the window to make it larger, it lags more and more as the size increases.
      I also have Adobe Audition CC installed for my work, the interface is very slow compared to the windows version (my 2011 macbook pro is much faster, but it's not 4k).
      Is there a known issue when running 4k on nvidia web drivers ?
      It's very frustrating because i've been using custom machines with 1080p displays and nvidia cards since Snow Leopard, but i was always butter smooth.

Thanks.