Core 2 Duo mobos recommendations for osx?

VooD

14 posts in this topic

Well, the topic is pretty self explaining... I´m going to buy some new stuff in the next weeks so...which boards are working fine (and easy) with OsX?

My first choice was an Asus P5B* but, after reading some topics it seems is not working as good as it should.

So, any idea?

Also...Ati 1x00 , or nvidia with titan.kext?

Thanks in advance

Happy with my P5W DH Deluxe so far...has a 975 chipset...

Only things not working:

- Wireless

- IR remote

- HDAudio...none of the here mentioned device/vendor ID worked for me...

According to Realtek a new Intel driver for the WLAN should be relased by end of this November.

I used the JaS 10.4.8 reseed DVD for installing...just tick the SSE3 option...do not activate the USB fix which will render your USB useless (o;

The P5W DH is a little overpriced but nicely overclockable board for Duo Cores...and with the latest firmware can also run the new Quad Cores (o;

cheers

davorin

Gigabyte GA-965-S3 or DS3.

The Audio works, but only 2 channel and no input.

The big issue with it for many is no support for running or installing OSX from/on an IDE dvd/hd.

Most of us just use IDE to USB or IDE to SATA adapters (I've done both), and have an sata hd.

Once the OS is installed, you can change a 1 number in a .plist file and have ide support (still can't run the OS off of the IDE though).

Try looking into the abit AW9d boards. My brother has an AW8d and it works flawlessly in OSX, the only difference in the aw9d from the aw8d is the added support for Conroe/Core 2 duo's on the aw9d.

Thanks for the answers, just after starting this topic I discovered the Gigabyte GA-965-DS3 and looks pretty good for the value. It would be my first Gigabyte mobo (previously I´ve always purchased Asus), but it seems to work better in OsX.

I'm running an Abit AW9D (975x chipset) , the non Max version.

Audio is working with a modded audio kext.

Realtek 8111b ethernet is working with DaemonES' Realtek R1000.kext

I added in a firewire card - I should have gotten the Max version as it has that built-in

So far its been totally stable and I'm running my E6600 overclocked to 333FSB ie 3Ghz

Cheers.

My first choice was an Asus P5B* but, after reading some topics it seems is not working as good as it should.

Well, i don't know what topics you've been reading, but my Asus P5b works almost flawlessly.

I have sound, video with QE enabled, networks cards, SATA hard drives, IDE, USB 2.0, and Firewire ALL working. If you use my machine, you can't even tell its not a Mac.

Plus its very stable. I don't know, but this board kicks ASS.

Hey there guys, I'm not trying to hijack this thread but I think this is related enough to add in here. I am also wondering about motherboards for a C2D CPU. The intel compatibility pages don't list the intel 945 express chipset as being compatible with C2D, yet I keep seeing these bundles at tigerdirect with C2D+945 chipset mobos. Here's a couple of examples:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...515&CatId=0

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...018&CatId=0

Do they know something I don't know or are they selling incompatible combos?

there are now more 945 board that are capable of using c2d's the asrock 775 ConRoe line for example. i myself am gonna get an Asus P5L-VW 1394. dunno how well it works but i will find out soon enough i know it has azalia audio but not too sure on the nic (i dont need it cause ive got a stack of broadcom wireless cards laying around). i just need it mATX so i can stuff in into my quicksilver case*.

*Comming Soon

I already have a motherboard (Intel945Gpm) and was originally going to get a Pentium D for it but would rather put a Core 2 Duo in it if I could. I'm still confused because the intel site says that the C2D is not compatible with the 945G express chipset so I don't see how this motherboard can be bundled with a C2D.