Disk utility - unable to format

Kevin Jieu

6 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I've got to the point where the installer is asking for a destination. I run "Disk Utility" from the menu, and I have designated a 14G FAT32 for OSX. First I select the partition, erase it as FAT32. When it's done, I select it again, choose format as "MacOS Journal" and hit "Erase" again. After a while, it finishes but the partition is still FAT32. What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks.

Hmm encountred this problem ages ago and solved it by using diskpart from windows and setting the partition to HFS by chaning it's type. Don't rember the exact commands but should be possible to find this via google. If you haven't solved this til tomorrow I post how to do this, but need to look it up (I forgot my notes at a friend). :pirate2:

Launch diskpart, then issue these commands:

list disk (so you see the numbers of the disks)

select disk x (where x is the number of the disk you want to use; subsequent commands will be applied to disk x so be careful with the numbers)

in the disk you want to use there MUST be unallocated space to create the HFS+ partition. If this is the case issue the following command:

create partition primary id=af

diskpart will use ALL the unallocated space to create a HFS+ partition. If the disk is entirely unallocated, you will end up with a single HFS+ partition taking the entire disk.

Regards

Neb