Allan

macOS High Sierra - Final Release is out! (17A365)

448 posts in this topic

Advertisement

Just updated to High Sierra successfully (from Appstore).. Spent almost all day trying to figure things out..

MSI Z170-A

I7-6700K

Nvidia GTX 1080

Got OSInstall issue.. Updated Clover.. Still happened.. Ran Installer again from /Applications so that the install starts over instead of just from second phase.

Got the encountered an error verifying firmware.. Solved it by adding a Firmware Feature and Mask that matches my BoardID (needed it even with latest clover).

Got the kext[0] stall ACPICPU.. Solved it by moving FakeSMC and all kexts from "10.12" folder to "Other".

Got graphics stuttering no hardware acceleration.. Updated Nvidia Web Drivers.

Got the black screen when booting Nvidia GTX 1080.. Solved it by installing the latest Lilu.kext and NvidiaGraphicsEnabler.kext.

USB ports didn't glitching sometimes.. Downloaded RehabMan USBInjectAll source code and compiled it with Xcode 9 and 10.13 SDK.

Audio always worked with patched AppleALC (Same .kext from Sierra works on High Sierra for me)..

Only thing is that I wish I didn't have to use Lilu and NvidiaGraphicsEnabler.. It's annoying to have to update it every time a new OS update comes out (sometimes I forget and can't see anything on screen). Somehow GPU works out of the box with an older SMBIOS board.. but with new 5K iMac17,1 nope.. requires these kexts.

It's still possible to create a HFS+ bootable media in a APFS system?

Well, in my first successfully installation I've formatted a single partition (from a external HD) from HFS+ to APFS, and then, when i tried do roll back it's no more available — partition is gone :w00t: , only visible on APFS system. So, appears that once you have a drive/partition with HFS+ u can continue with this one, but once u change it to APFS there's no way to get HFS+ back on a APFS system without formatting entire disk.

Problem now is, that apparently my system isn't allowrd to pass the Firmware check even with using current SMBIOS Settings that i posted earlyer.

Just tried it again. It don't let me pass the firmware check. I tried to install it on a different HDD.

I can do everything i want and change everything i want in the SMBIOS Settings, it just won't let me pass it.

I've tried the default value posted here and no way to pass the firmware check. But, Clover Configurator has automatically added this value on a smbios that I need to create and 'Voilà' – system installed and running.

when download High Sierra it downloads just 15 MB and after I start the installer it gets the other 4 GB part..

This also happened to me and I've to do a fresh install of El Cap and download High Sierra again – now with 5.19gb

This also happened to me and I've to do a fresh install of El Cap and download High Sierra again – now with 5.19gb

There might be an easier way to do that. Check out this post. :) 

Just something to keep in mind next time you encounter this issue.

I had 3 problems that kept me from running High Sierra on my main macOS partition:  1. No working sleep; 2. No working power off; and 3 No working brightness control.  I haven't a clue what actually was preventing sleep or poweer off but I do have a reminder to those who have been in the OSx86 community for a long time like me.

When I couldn't figure out what was the problem, I went back to basics.  I threw out my custom DSDT that I had spend years customizing and started fresh with my native DSDT.  I added only those patches I knew I needed and did not attempt to patch those things I knew Clover now did by default, such as Intel GFX0 patches.  I basically added only those patches for USB, IGPU, Battery, Brightness keys, and Syntax errors necessary to get my native DSDT to compile and do the things I knew I needed it to do that it couldn't do without patches.  That worked.

Although I don't know what was preventing sleep or powering off, the problem was resolved.  Now, I just need to figure out why RehabMan's brightness injector kext, along with his SSDT and kext patch don't work for me.  Hopefully, reading his post on that other forum for the umpteenth time will make re realize either what I am doing wrong or what is different about my system than the one for which he designed the brightness adjustment fix.  Either way, using his injector kext, SSDT and kext patch does not work. Any ideas?

P.S. - I celebrated my fixes of sleep and power off with a bottle of 15.9% bottle of red wine.  Forgive the typos.  W00t, w00t!

I had 3 problems that kept me from running High Sierra on my main macOS partition: 1. No working sleep; 2. No working power off; and 3 No working brightness control. I haven't a clue what actually was preventing sleep or poweer off but I do have a reminder to those who have been in the OSx86 community for a long time like me.

When I couldn't figure out what was the problem, I went back to basics. I threw out my custom DSDT that I had spend years customizing and started fresh with my native DSDT. I added only those patches I knew I needed and did not attempt to patch those things I knew Clover now did by default, such as Intel GFX0 patches. I basically added only those patches for USB, IGPU, Battery, Brightness keys, and Syntax errors necessary to get my native DSDT to compile and do the things I knew I needed it to do that it couldn't do without patches. That worked.

Although I don't know what was preventing sleep or powering off, the problem was resolved. Now, I just need to figure out why RehabMan's brightness injector kext, along with his SSDT and kext patch don't work for me. Hopefully, reading his post on that other forum for the umpteenth time will make re realize either what I am doing wrong or what is different about my system than the one for which he designed the brightness adjustment fix. Either way, using his injector kext, SSDT and kext patch does not work. Any ideas?

P.S. - I celebrated my fixes of sleep and power off with a bottle of 15.9% bottle of red wine. Forgive the typos. W00t, w00t!

Congratz.

Did you add the plnf ssdt to the sorted order list in config.plist?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Congratz.

Did you add the plnf ssdt to the sorted order list in config.plist?

I did.  I put the SSDT-PNLF.aml in second position behind a native ssdt that I had to change from GFX0 to IGPU.  I get the slider in SysPrefs-Display but it doesn't change the brightness when I move the slider button.  (I'm assuming that you need to put the full name of the ssdt in sort order (e.g., SSDT-PNLF.aml) but that you don't need to put in the path.)

I did. I put the SSDT-PNLF.aml in second position behind a native ssdt that I had to change from GFX0 to IGPU. I get the slider in SysPrefs-Display but it doesn't change the brightness when I move the slider button. (I'm assuming that you need to put the full name of the ssdt in sort order (e.g., SSDT-PNLF.aml) but that you don't need to put in the path.)

Yes that's correct. And have you got AppleBacklightInjector.kext in S/L/E?AppleBacklightInjector.zip

Yes that's correct. And have you got AppleBacklightInjector.kext in S/L/E?attachicon.gifAppleBacklightInjector.zip

I had the injector kext in L/E.  I tried the one you posted (thank you very much) in S/L/E.  No change.  I still have the slider but it doesn't adjust the brightness of the screen.

My High Sierra installation suddenly stopped working this morning. I get only the stop sign, verbose mode shows this:

post-626651-0-71459900-1507836001_thumb.jpeg

followed by “Still waiting for root device”.

It doesn’t matter how I try to boot, from SSD or USB... any suggestions?

My High Sierra installation suddenly stopped working this morning. I get only the stop sign, verbose mode shows this:

attachicon.gif736D62F8-DF22-4F06-843D-E135CCF8F63D.jpeg

followed by “Still waiting for root device”.

It doesn’t matter how I try to boot, from SSD or USB... any suggestions?

check ACPI bios settings. 

I had the injector kext in L/E.  I tried the one you posted (thank you very much) in S/L/E.  No change.  I still have the slider but it doesn't adjust the brightness of the screen.

Hi @mnfesq

For me the Brightness Slider.app from App store made the exact same work as the slider in system preferences

I have not seen diferances

check ACPI bios settings.

Anything in particular? I’ve checked and rechecked multiple times, I cannot find anything wrong. I did go into UEFI settings last night, but I don’t remember changing anything related to ACPI. And I successfully booted after that... weird.

Hi @mnfesq

For me the Brightness Slider.app from App store made the exact same work as the slider in system preferences

I have not seen diferances

I have that app too.  The thing is, even though I have a slider and I can move the slider button, doing so does not change screen brightness.  That's the problem.  I'm beginning to wonder if, for some reason, the patched AppleBacklight.kext is not loading properly or if the patch is not working for me.

I have that app too.  The thing is, even though I have a slider and I can move the slider button, doing so does not change screen brightness.  That's the problem.  I'm beginning to wonder if, for some reason, the patched AppleBacklight.kext is not loading properly or if the patch is not working for me.

Ha ok  ;)

The Brightness Slider.app works for me but not the one from the preference System

I have installed Sierra 10.12.3 today to see the diferance because in 10.12.3 it works

I saw that there was no difference

This is my clover folder that i use successfully to boot High Sierra with working brightness, battery etc...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v4d0jtgt3sr5ur8/CLOVER.zip?dl=0

This is my clover folder that i use successfully to boot High Sierra with working brightness, battery etc...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v4d0jtgt3sr5ur8/CLOVER.zip?dl=0

Thanks for posting it.  It looks pretty similar to mine but mine is an Ivy Bridge (old, like me.). I'll have to try some of your patches/kexts but I don't think they will make any difference.  I'm wondering if I am missing some OEM SSDT that defines BCL, BCM, etc. that I haven't found and patched to replace GFX0 to IGPU.  There must be something about my setup that keeps it from working when I follow the instructions for the tutorial to the letter.  That was why I started with a new DSDT.  Maybe I should try extracting my OEM ACPI files from scratch and start over with everything fresh.  Tomorrow is another day, and with another day, new things to try out.

If you want to try you can create a ssdt to avoid using those kext

attached is one it is working for my system

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/324195-nvidia-web-driver-updates-for-macos-high-sierra-update-10062017/page-31?do=findComment&comment=2514299

you have to do some changement in it (slot 1080 number and maybe HDMI part)

Just updated to High Sierra successfully (from Appstore).. Spent almost all day trying to figure things out..

MSI Z170-A

I7-6700K

Nvidia GTX 1080

Got OSInstall issue.. Updated Clover.. Still happened.. Ran Installer again from /Applications so that the install starts over instead of just from second phase.

Got the encountered an error verifying firmware.. Solved it by adding a Firmware Feature and Mask that matches my BoardID (needed it even with latest clover).

Got the kext[0] stall ACPICPU.. Solved it by moving FakeSMC and all kexts from "10.12" folder to "Other".

Got graphics stuttering no hardware acceleration.. Updated Nvidia Web Drivers.

Got the black screen when booting Nvidia GTX 1080.. Solved it by installing the latest Lilu.kext and NvidiaGraphicsEnabler.kext.

USB ports didn't glitching sometimes.. Downloaded RehabMan USBInjectAll source code and compiled it with Xcode 9 and 10.13 SDK.

Audio always worked with patched AppleALC (Same .kext from Sierra works on High Sierra for me)..

Only thing is that I wish I didn't have to use Lilu and NvidiaGraphicsEnabler.. It's annoying to have to update it every time a new OS update comes out (sometimes I forget and can't see anything on screen). Somehow GPU works out of the box with an older SMBIOS board.. but with new 5K iMac17,1 nope.. requires thes

rx 580 works fine on my rig..it is time to use amd graphics..

I always was a fan of AMD graphics but the black screen issue forced me to switch to nVidia (it was before I knew that the WhateverGreen kext is being developed); But know that the AMD GPUs are back in the game it seems logical to switch back to them.

I always was a fan of AMD graphics but the black screen issue forced me to switch to nVidia (it was before I knew that the WhateverGreen kext is being developed); But know that the AMD GPUs are back in the game it seems logical to switch back to them.

disable csm on bios or delete csm.efi from clover can solve black screen problems....

Is anyone having issues with the instant reboot from wake on Browadwell cpus?

Need to try. After short sleep no issues

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk