9 posts in this topic

Hi,

Just put together my first hackintosh using this:

Asus Strix H270F GAMING

Intel Core i7 7700K

Samsung SSD 960 Evo .M2

Gigabyte AORUS GeForce® GTX 1070 8G

2x Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB DDR4 1x288, 2400MHz

I'm using this guide to get High Sierra installed as it is close to my motherboard (Z270 vs mine H270):

I also used the downloadable EFI folder attached to that video.

When I get to the point where I open Disk Utility, my disk isn't detected.

BIOS detects and identifies it ok, so it seems to be connected alright.

I've also tried to move it from the x4 PCI .M2 port to the x2 one with the same result.

Anyone who can suggest anything to get me moving forward ? 

Let me know if there's more information needed to figure out what's wrong. :)

Forgot to mention that this is a completely new build, so the disk hasn't been partitioned or anything like that. 

I assume that Disk Utility should take care of that (once it can find it)

Cheers,

Niklas

In your config.plist you should add "\System\Library\Extensions\IONVMeFamily.kext" in "Kernel and Kext Patches"->"ForceKextsToLoad".

All the IONVMeFamily-based KextsToPatch-Entries will not work until the IONVMeFamily.kext is once loaded into the Kext Cache, which will be provided by the added line.

Make sure you use the "\" for separating folder-names, not "/"...

I personally am not sure how to fix this, though i have read before that apparently its a hassle to get OSX to read m.2 drives, have you tried googling it and seeing if any others are having any luck?

I'm installing (or trying to at least) High Sierra, and one of the good things apparently is that NVME disks now should be supported OOTBX

In your config.plist you should add "\System\Library\Extensions\IONVMeFamily.kext" in "Kernel and Kext Patches"->"ForceKextsToLoad".

All the IONVMeFamily-based KextsToPatch-Entries will not work until the IONVMeFamily.kext is once loaded into the Kext Cache, which will be provided by the added line.

Make sure you use the "\" for separating folder-names, not "/"...

So is this still needed despite High Sierra ? I read a lot about the patching needed for NVME disks for Sierra, which actually made me put the plans for a Hackintosh on ice for the time being. Then I read about High Sierra supporting this OOTB, which landed me in this situation. :)

In fact, when looking at the kexts in kexts/Other there are no NVME related kexts, and the tutorial I followed seem to be doing fine without them.

• Like 1

Ups... it's about HS... :)

In that case use the other way around and deactivate all the IONVMeFamily-related KextsToPatch-Entries, since those might prevent the in finding the m.2 device. 

Most folks I've read about use a hdd or Ssd to start then copy it over to nvme once System is set and drive is detected and formatted.

Carbon Copy Cloner and a cheap SSD will work with less pain.

Would love to avoid getting an SSD just for being able to install, but if that's the price I have to pay, I'll just have to stay on the oat meal diet for a little longer.  :lol:

Anyone else with an ASUS h270f strix (or at least H270) motherboard and Samsung 960 EVO that can share their experience/method for getting their system up and running ?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...