d-link 538tx doesn't work in 10.4.8

abubin

5 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am very new to osx86. Tried installing Jas 10.4.8 (re-release) and manage to install and boot up to the screen. But network doesn't work.

My network card is Dlink dfe-538tx which is supposed to work out of the box. I already tried editing the vendor and model ID into the file below :

/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext/Contents/Info.plist

But I found that this number already exist in that file 0x13001186.

So, I just deleted System/Library/Extensions.mkext and /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache and then repaired permissions using Disk Utility.

Still nothing. I then rebooted the machine and still network doesn't work. Anymore idea on how to get it to work?

Thanks in advance.

• 5 weeks later...

A lot of people are having problems with the Realtek 8139 on 10.4.8. Only thing you can try is to get an IONetworkingFamily.kext from a previous version of OSX and give that a try. Be sure to "sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext" and to remove the Extensions.mkext and Extensions.kextcache after adding the old kext. Then reboot.

I also have a Dlink 538-TX NIC. It worked fine in 10.4.5, 10.4.6, 10.4.7.

But its not working in 10.4.8. Even the Vendor and Device Id are same.

New 8139 driver for 10.4.8/8.8.1 to try out. Follow Ethernet link in my signature.