Jump to content
Cyberdevs

How to make Clover default bootloader after Installing Windows on UEFI

85 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Kaya80 said:

Yes, only one HDD with two partition….i made this, is this correct?

Where and how did you install the clover? it was legacy right?

and is the EFI folder present in the root of the drive with letter I:?

 

I guess that's what you can't boot properly from neither windows nor macOS.

This guide is for UEFI booting and it's meant for systems with more than one hard disk so you can choose one for windows and the other one for macOS.

By the way save the changes and see if it works. However you might LOOSE the ability into windows as well, make SURE you have back up of all your data in case these changes mess things up!

BootiCE.png.d742866916c688198f495311c5b80962.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement

I installed Clover on disk0s1, the mac partition soon after that partiton we see in the picture, Clover is in Legacy mode, but Windows in Uefi, because my disk is GPT formatted, there's no doubt about this, but i did dual boot several times, every year, this is the first time i have all these kind of problems...btw i tried to change the entry on first drive, that is the mac partition, and i put \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI, but again nothing to do….i just don't know why the laptop take the entry from external without doing anything, and internal give me this disaster

Edited by Kaya80

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Kaya80 said:

I installed Clover on disk0s1, the mac partition soon after that partiton we see in the picture, Clover is in Legacy mode, but Windows in Uefi, because my disk is GPT formatted, there's no doubt about this, but i did dual boot several times, every year, this is the first time i have all these kind of problems...btw i tried to change the entry on first drive, that is the mac partition, and i put \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI, but again nothing to do….i just don't know why the laptop take the entry from external without doing anything, and internal give me this disaster

I guess the reason for the successful boot from the external disk its that the boot file is present in the ESP (EFI) partition and with clover being able to find it and depending on how you install clover in legacy mode it will either look for an existing boot sector whether it's in the UEFI or Legacy mode and the other method will only boot from the first active partition with the available boot sector.

 

boot0af:

Used for BIOS booting on BIOS motherboards.

boot0af (boot0 Active First) bootloader tries to boot the active partition defined in MBR. If there is no active partition, it will try to boot the first EFI/FAT32/HFS partition (defined in the MBR and then the GPT) with a valid PBR signature.

This choice will set the selected HFS/FAT32 partition status byte to active in the MBR.

 

boot0ss:

Used for BIOS booting on BIOS motherboards.

boot0ss (boot0 Signature Scanning) bootloader tries to boot the first EFI/FAT32/HFS partition (defined in the MBR and then the GPT) with a valid PBR signature. If no partition is found it will try to boot the active partition defined in MBR.

This bootloader is a good choice when you have Windows installed on the same disk because Windows wants to have its partition active.

This choice will NOT set the partition status byte to active in the MBR.

 

Which one do you use to install clover in legacy? and since your system is capable of booting in UEFI mode why do you even use legacy

How do you create the USB installer? createinstallmedia method and then manually installing the clover afterwards? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I selected boot0af, because i followed a tutorial with legacy with those settings for legacy, i choose legacy for Mac because, as i told you some posts above, if i try to install in UEFI mode i can't reach the installer, so i think it's like an hybrid UEFI, not full.

I use createinstallmedia, classic method, i always used this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Kaya80 said:

I selected boot0af, because i followed a tutorial with legacy with those settings for legacy, i choose legacy for Mac because, as i told you some posts above, if i try to install in UEFI mode i can't reach the installer, so i think it's like an hybrid UEFI, not full.

I use createinstallmedia, classic method, i always used this

Well that's weird!

I know you said that the installer won't work if you use the UEFI and I wonder why!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't ask me why , but i know that from El Capitan i have to do this...Uefi installation of Clover doesn't reach the GUI

 

So, do u think there's nothing to do? but i had my hdd partitioned and everything worked fine until i decided to do a fesh install, daaaaaaaaamn

Edited by Kaya80

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kaya80 said:

So, no chance for me?

There's always a way! don't give up, at least not yet. but to be honest I've been sitting at my desk for 9 hours straight and I'm pretty beat and my mind is not where it's supposed to be.

 

I need to rest for a while and regroup.

But I would approach this issue like this if I were in your situation.

1. Use the USB disk and boot into macOS.

2. Mount the EFI partition on your internal hard disk.

3. Make a backup of the EFI partition and install clover in legacy or even UEFI mode in the ESP and copy the necessary files from the USB disk's EFI partition into the EFI partition on the internal hard disk. (I'm talking about the ACPI/Kexts/config.plist etc.)

4. Remove the USB disk and reboot and see what would happen.

 

As long as you leave the Microsoft folder inside the EFI partition on your hard disk you will be able to boot into Windows.

Your EFI portion should look like this after installing clover.

 

Screen Shot 2018-06-28 at 7.29.31 PM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sorry to disturb you, if you're tired don't worry, we can talk about this Tomorrow, no problem mate...but i already did that, i mean copy everything to internal hdd soon after i completed the installation, it's Always the first thing i do when i install MAC, and my EFI folder on Mac partition is exactly like your picture

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kaya80 said:

I'm sorry to disturb you, if you're tired don't worry, we can talk about this Tomorrow, no problem mate...but i already did that, i mean copy everything to internal hdd soon after i completed the installation, it's Always the first thing i do when i install MAC, and my EFI folder on Mac partition is exactly like your picture

No man you don't disturb me at all :)

I'm just tired and just can't focus enough to think about a solution that's all. I'm not being productive right now. :idea:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Kaya80 said:

:D:D Ok, in understand how u feel...

Can you explain once more why the USB installer can't reach the GUI? what kind of error you get if you try to boot into macOS from the USB installer? I'm curious to know what happens?

In principal when the installer can't reach the GUI it's a matter of the config.plist and the drivers and the kext. The boot itself either works or it doesn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, from the USB installer i can boot, it is from internal that i can't...i have no problem with USB, i can't boot in anyway from internal, so i have to attch my installer every time and boot from it to reach both Mac and windws, if i disconeect the usb installer, i can't boot….unable to find bootable device bla bla bla bla...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kaya80 said:

No, from the USB installer i can boot, it is from internal that i can't...i have no problem with USB, i can't boot in anyway from internal, so i have to attch my installer every time and boot from it to reach both Mac and windws, if i disconeect the usb installer, i can't boot….unable to find bootable device bla bla bla bla...

I meant the issue from the UEFI boot that you mentioned earlier... (I know you already said not to ask you why but: ) The more we know about the root cause the better chance we have to resolve the issue.

 

4 hours ago, Kaya80 said:

Don't ask me why , but i know that from El Capitan i have to do this...Uefi installation of Clover doesn't reach the GUI

So, do u think there's nothing to do? but i had my hdd partitioned and everything worked fine until i decided to do a fesh install, daaaaaaaaamn

 

1. Which macOS you are trying to install?

2. Which Clover Revision you are using?

3. Can you create another USB installer? Just let's not mess with the one that you already have and it's working.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With Uefi settings on USB installer I simply can't boot, and the installer doesn't reach the installer, giving me the same horrible message of " unable to find bootable device", like now.

I installed High Sierra 10.13.3 build, Clover 4558, and yes, i can easily create another, maybe i can try in Uefi mode and tell you something more about the boot problem

Edited by Kaya80

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kaya80 said:

With Uefi settings on USB installer I simply can't boot, and the installer doesn't reach the installer, giving me the same horrible message of " unable to find bootable device", like now.

I installed High Sierra 10.13.3 build, Clover 4558, and yes, i can easily create another, maybe i can try in Uefi mode and tell you something more about the boot problem

Ok, I guess I found the issue, clover 4558 is simply unable to boot from legacy mode and you need a legacy version of the clover.

you either need to use another (older) version of clover like r.4522 or you need to download a newer version of clover here is the latest version. But I haven't tested it on my Legacy to see if you can boot from it on legacy system.

 

There's another alternative which is to find a legacy version of clover simply google: Clover_v2.4k_r4522-Legacy

Install ot on the EFI partition on your internal disk and then copy the necessary files from the USB and it will be able to boot normally.

Clover_v2.4k_r4584.pkg.zip

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

O thanks Zod, i'll try immediately...and thank you more than Zod :D

Maybe, the best thing now is to da a clean installa again, and a new clean installer on Usb drive, i think the system and the BCD are a complete disaster

Edited by Kaya80

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW it doesn't work neither with this, maybe i've to try some older version...i tried to add the entry manually in Bios, setting \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI as path, but nothing….now i will try to prepare a new clean installer and a new internal drive, starting with old clover 4392, the one i used before trying this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Kaya80 said:

BTW it doesn't work neither with this, maybe i've to try some older version...i tried to add the entry manually in Bios, setting \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI as path, but nothing….now i will try to prepare a new clean installer and a new internal drive, starting with old clover 4392, the one i used before trying this

It's a bummer. Try Clover_v2.4k_r4522-Legacy this revision worked perfectly fine on my Asus P7H55-USB 3 rig which only has a legacy BIOS.

Please let me know once you've downloaded it so I can remove it from my DropBox.

 

Edited by Cyberdevs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i did it

 

Now I'm using That Clover version to start a new installation process with anew external and a new internal, to see if after the installation i will have a valid entry to boot

I'm trying in UEFI...just to try the last time

And nothing to do, blinking cursor and no boot...now i'm going with legacy again and at least the installer started immediately....so i think i can only use legacy Clover, definitively

 

Edited by Kaya80

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Kaya80 said:

i did it

 

Now I'm using That Clover version to start a new installation process with anew external and a new internal, to see if after the installation i will have a valid entry to boot

I'm trying in UEFI...just to try the last time

And nothing to do, blinking cursor and no boot...now i'm going with legacy again and at least the installer started immediately....so i think i can only use legacy Clover, definitively

Well that's good news.

So with the Legacy Bootloader you are able to boot into the installer and boot into the installed version of macOS, right? :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes mate, only legacy give me a chance, now i'm going to install Clover 4522 on Internal HDD, transfer my kext and verify if it start from internal without using the installer

 

Ooooooooooooooohhhh finally, 4522 give me the expected results, works like a charm now!! Thank you very much for your patience,now the last step is to install Windows, but after Windows installation, i've to reboot from the installer to OSx and reinstall clover on internal, so Windows boot manager will not overlay Clover bootloader

Edited by Kaya80

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Kaya80 said:

Yes mate, only legacy give me a chance, now i'm going to install Clover 4522 on Internal HDD, transfer my kext and verify if it start from internal without using the installer

 

Ooooooooooooooohhhh finally, 4522 give me the expected results, works like a charm now!! Thank you very much for your patience,now the last step is to install Windows, but after Windows installation, i've to reboot from the installer to OSx and reinstall clover on internal, so Windows boot manager will not overlay Clover bootloader

That's great and you're welcome buddy :)

I'm glad that the issue is resolved ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By fantomas
      In Big Sur Apple decided to exempt many of its apps from being routed thru the frameworks they now require 3rd-party firewalls to use (LuLu, Little Snitch, etc.)
       
      Q: Could this be (ab)used by malware to also bypass such firewalls?
       
      A: Apparently yes, and trivially so.
       

       
       
       
       
      twitter
       
      View full article
       
    • By fantomas
      Q: Could this be (ab)used by malware to also bypass such firewalls?
       
      A: Apparently yes, and trivially so.
       

       
       
       
       
      twitter
    • By fantomas
      macOS Big Sur 11.1 beta (20C5048k)
    • By kushwavez
      A really good motherboard with macOS compatible bult-in Wifi & Bluetooth

      ASUS Z170-Deluxe (with Wifi)
      BIOS: v3801
      CPU: i7-6700K 4.0 to 4.2 GHz (w/o OC)
      RAM: 1x 16 GB Corsair DDR4 2400 MHz
      GPU: Intel HD 530 (Headless) & ASUS Radeon RX 5700 OC 8 GB
      Audio: ALC 1150
      Ethernet: I219V2, I211-AT
      WiFi & Bluetooth: Broadcom BCM94360HMB Half-Mini-PCI-E
      More Specs: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z170-DELUXE/specifications/
       
      El Capitan 10.11.6 -> Big Sur 11 - Windows 10
       
      What is working:
      BCM94360HMB Wifi and Bluetooth AirDrop, Handoff, FaceTime, Messages, App Store, iCloud, etc. Intel HD 530 (QE/CI tested, but now I'm using it in headless) Sleep RX 5700 (QE/CI with 2 1080p monitors connected) Sound (all ports) USB Ports Two Ethernet ports macOS with a light OC (4.12 GHz - 4.5 Ghz, XMP, ASUS optimal) ASUS HyperKit and M.2 with a KINGSTON NVMe SSD - 250 GB Hardware decoding/encoding on both HD 530 and RX 5700 (HD 530 up to HEVC, RX 5700 at the time of writing VP9) iGPU only (with QuickSync) is used in the default config.plist To use dGPU for hw decode/encode and also use Intel QuickSync you need to start with "config_headless.plist" This will use iMac17,2 SMBIOS and shikigva=80 To use dGPU only boot with "config_amd.plist" also disable iGPU completely in BIOS. This will use iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS without iGPU System Integrity Protection is Enabled by default. If you need to boot with SIP disabled you may use "config_debug.plist" or disable it manually in Clover settings. If you want Enabled SIP but with allowing unsigned kexts you may boot with "CsrActiveConfig = 0x01"  
      What is not working:
      -  
       
      Not tested:
      Thunderbolt (no equipment)  
      Issues:
      None  
      BIOS Settings:
      Boot\CSM (Compatibility Support Module): Launch CSM: Disabled Boot\Secure Boot: OS type: Other OS Secure Boot State: Disabled Advanced\System agent (sa) Configuration: VT-d: Enabled Graphics Configuration: (This is for HD 530 in headless) Primary Display: Auto (to use dGPU only this must be PEG) iGPU Multi-monitor: Enabled (to use dGPU only this must be Disabled) RC6(Render Standby): Enabled (to use dGPU only this must be Disabled) DVMT Pre-Allocated: 128M Advanced\PCH Storage Configuration: SATA Mode Selection: AHCI HyperKit: Enable (if you have NVMe SSD with ASUS HyperKit) Advanced\CPU Configuration: Intel Virtualization Technology: Enabled CPU- Power Management Control: CPU- C-States: Enabled Intel SpeedShift: Enabled  
      Getting ready for installation:
      Download the bootpack (Clover v5126): Click here -> Z170-DELUXE_Clover_v5126.zip (Tested: El Capitan 10.11.6 -> macOS Big Sur 11.0.1)  
      Installation:
      Create an installer with any method you know (- Mac: createinstallmedia, gibMacOS - Windows: Transmac, Vmware, Win32diskimager, gibMacOS) Copy my Clover folder to the USB's EFI folder Boot with the Installer USB If you have any problem (kp or freeze) boot with config_debug.plist to see what causes the issue  
      Post Installation:
      Download Clover Configurator and generate a new Serial Number for yourself  
      Some pictures:

       
       



       
      El Capitan 10.11.6
       
      Sierra 10.12.6
       
      High Sierra 10.13.6
       
      Mojave 10.14.6
       
      Catalina 10.15.7
       
      Catalina & Windows 10 Dual-Boot (clean install, on one drive):
       Boot into your Mac installer, Create 2 partitions in GUID table (1 for Win (I used FAT32 but I think it doesn't matter what you choose), 1 for Mac)
       Install Mac, boot with your USB, mount your EFI partition (use terminal or an EFI mounter app), create an EFI folder (if there is no folder), copy the CLOVER folder I attached to the EFI folder, restart
      Boot into your Win installer, Format the partition you created for Win, install. 
      Now, it's automatically booting into Windows. To use Clover open cmd in administrator, type: 
      bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\CLOVER\CLOVERX64.efi  
      You're done! It will booting into Clover when you start the system, and you can select Win or Mac (or another OS if installed on a 3rd partition).
       
      IF YOU GETTING ERRORS DURING WINDOWS INSTALLATION (could not be formatted, etc):
      Make sure you have GPT partitions, and GPT (UEFI) installer, also disconnect all external storage drives (except the installer USB)  
      Mounting EFI from Windows:
      Open cmd in administrator mode and type: mountvol b: /s (This will mount your EFI) Open Total Commander or Explorer++ in administrator mode to manage EFI mountvol b: /d (This will unmount your EFI)  
      Useful Applications for Mac:
      EFI Mountain Show -> To easily mount your EFI Clover Configurator -> To easily manage your config.plist https://mackie100projects.altervista.org/download-clover-configurator/ PlistEditPro -> Advanced plist editor https://www.fatcatsoftware.com/plisteditpro/ iStat Menus -> To monitoring your devices https://bjango.com/mac/istatmenus/ Boom 3D -> To significantly increase your audio quality https://www.globaldelight.com/boom/ TextMate -> a basic code editor just like Notepad++ on Windows https://macromates.com Modified Wineskin to run basic Windows 32-bit or 64-bit (or DX9 games) applications on Catalina -> https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/fobx5t/i_didnt_want_to_boot_windows_every_time_when_i/ MaciASL -> View/Edit your .aml, .dsl files https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-maciasl-patchmatic/downloads/ Hackintool -> All useful info, tools in one place https://github.com/headkaze/Hackintool IORegistryExplorer V2.1 -> To view your IO tables https://github.com/vulgo/IORegistryExplorer/releases/tag/v2.1 App Cleaner -> To delete your apps with caches https://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/ Intel Power Gadget -> To see your frequencies https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-power-gadget Carbon Copy Cloner -> Advanced macOS drive backup utility https://bombich.com Commander One ->A Total Commander alternative for macOS https://mac.eltima.com/file-manager.html  
      Useful Applications for Windows:
      Total Commander -> To easily manage EFI https://www.ghisler.com gibMacOS -> A python script for downloading/creating macOS Internet Recovery USB from Windows (working internet is needed when installing) https://github.com/corpnewt/gibMacOS mountvol b: /s -> To mount your system drive EFI
      EasyUEFI -> To manage boot orders and any bootloaders with ease https://www.easyuefi.com/index.html
      MiniTool Partition Wizard -> To mount your USB EFI, and manage other drives https://www.minitool.com/partition-manager/
      Notepad++ -> Basic code editor for all type of files https://notepad-plus-plus.org
       
      Notes:
      No need to change anything inside Clover from El Capitan to Big Sur For macOS Mojave and older you might need the full AirPortBrcmFixup.kext for full WiFi support   
      Changelog:
      2020.11.12: Noticed that the CPU is always at 4200 Mhz, created an SSDT for proper CPU stepping. Updated to Big Sur release version, updated bootpack
      2020.11.03: Tested El Capitan, Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina, Big Sur
      2020.11.01: Updated bootpack to Clover v5126, ready for macOS 11 Big Sur final release
      2020.04.23: Corrected layout-id to use all audio ports, updated bootpack
      2020.04.22: Deleted unnecessary boot-args, can boot without any custom boot-args (except agdpmod=pikera for RX 5700), updated bootpack
      2020.04.20: Deleted unnecessary lines from config.plist, updated bootpack
      2020.04.17: Replaced FakeSMC with VirtualSMC because FakeSMC is outdated (to see your frequencies use Intel Power Gadget) -> Removed unnecessary kexts, Updated all necessary kexts, updated Clover to v5112, updated bootpack, enabled SIP, deleted bootcamp theme
      2020.03.26: Updated to 10.15.4 -> Updated WhateverGreen, Lilu -> Updated Clover to v5107
      2020.03.23: Removed "EmuVariableUefi.efi" -> deleted, caused false nvram map, now it's native, updated Clover to v5106
      2020.02.11: Updated to 10.15.3 -> No problem when/after installing
      2020.01.19: Added ASUS HyperKit NVMe SSD to the "What is working" list
      2020.01.12: Tested system with OC, added more informations to BIOS settings
      2020.01.11: Added SmallTreeIntel82576.kext for 2nd Ethernet, Tested Ethernet ports
      2020.01.11: First upload
       
×