Cyberdevs

How to make Clover default bootloader after Installing Windows on UEFI

85 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Kaya80 said:

Yes, only one HDD with two partition….i made this, is this correct?

Where and how did you install the clover? it was legacy right?

and is the EFI folder present in the root of the drive with letter I:?

I guess that's what you can't boot properly from neither windows nor macOS.

This guide is for UEFI booting and it's meant for systems with more than one hard disk so you can choose one for windows and the other one for macOS.

By the way save the changes and see if it works. However you might LOOSE the ability into windows as well, make SURE you have back up of all your data in case these changes mess things up!

BootiCE.png.d742866916c688198f495311c5b80962.png

Advertisement

I installed Clover on disk0s1, the mac partition soon after that partiton we see in the picture, Clover is in Legacy mode, but Windows in Uefi, because my disk is GPT formatted, there's no doubt about this, but i did dual boot several times, every year, this is the first time i have all these kind of problems...btw i tried to change the entry on first drive, that is the mac partition, and i put \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI, but again nothing to do….i just don't know why the laptop take the entry from external without doing anything, and internal give me this disaster

Edited by Kaya80

3 minutes ago, Kaya80 said:

I installed Clover on disk0s1, the mac partition soon after that partiton we see in the picture, Clover is in Legacy mode, but Windows in Uefi, because my disk is GPT formatted, there's no doubt about this, but i did dual boot several times, every year, this is the first time i have all these kind of problems...btw i tried to change the entry on first drive, that is the mac partition, and i put \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI, but again nothing to do….i just don't know why the laptop take the entry from external without doing anything, and internal give me this disaster

I guess the reason for the successful boot from the external disk its that the boot file is present in the ESP (EFI) partition and with clover being able to find it and depending on how you install clover in legacy mode it will either look for an existing boot sector whether it's in the UEFI or Legacy mode and the other method will only boot from the first active partition with the available boot sector.

boot0af:

Used for BIOS booting on BIOS motherboards.

boot0af (boot0 Active First) bootloader tries to boot the active partition defined in MBR. If there is no active partition, it will try to boot the first EFI/FAT32/HFS partition (defined in the MBR and then the GPT) with a valid PBR signature.

This choice will set the selected HFS/FAT32 partition status byte to active in the MBR.

boot0ss:

Used for BIOS booting on BIOS motherboards.

boot0ss (boot0 Signature Scanning) bootloader tries to boot the first EFI/FAT32/HFS partition (defined in the MBR and then the GPT) with a valid PBR signature. If no partition is found it will try to boot the active partition defined in MBR.

This bootloader is a good choice when you have Windows installed on the same disk because Windows wants to have its partition active.

This choice will NOT set the partition status byte to active in the MBR.

Which one do you use to install clover in legacy? and since your system is capable of booting in UEFI mode why do you even use legacy

How do you create the USB installer? createinstallmedia method and then manually installing the clover afterwards? 

I selected boot0af, because i followed a tutorial with legacy with those settings for legacy, i choose legacy for Mac because, as i told you some posts above, if i try to install in UEFI mode i can't reach the installer, so i think it's like an hybrid UEFI, not full.

I use createinstallmedia, classic method, i always used this

4 minutes ago, Kaya80 said:

I selected boot0af, because i followed a tutorial with legacy with those settings for legacy, i choose legacy for Mac because, as i told you some posts above, if i try to install in UEFI mode i can't reach the installer, so i think it's like an hybrid UEFI, not full.

I use createinstallmedia, classic method, i always used this

Well that's weird!

I know you said that the installer won't work if you use the UEFI and I wonder why!

Don't ask me why , but i know that from El Capitan i have to do this...Uefi installation of Clover doesn't reach the GUI

So, do u think there's nothing to do? but i had my hdd partitioned and everything worked fine until i decided to do a fesh install, daaaaaaaaamn

Edited by Kaya80

1 minute ago, Kaya80 said:

So, no chance for me?

There's always a way! don't give up, at least not yet. but to be honest I've been sitting at my desk for 9 hours straight and I'm pretty beat and my mind is not where it's supposed to be.

I need to rest for a while and regroup.

But I would approach this issue like this if I were in your situation.

1. Use the USB disk and boot into macOS.

2. Mount the EFI partition on your internal hard disk.

3. Make a backup of the EFI partition and install clover in legacy or even UEFI mode in the ESP and copy the necessary files from the USB disk's EFI partition into the EFI partition on the internal hard disk. (I'm talking about the ACPI/Kexts/config.plist etc.)

4. Remove the USB disk and reboot and see what would happen.

As long as you leave the Microsoft folder inside the EFI partition on your hard disk you will be able to boot into Windows.

Your EFI portion should look like this after installing clover.

Screen Shot 2018-06-28 at 7.29.31 PM.png

I'm sorry to disturb you, if you're tired don't worry, we can talk about this Tomorrow, no problem mate...but i already did that, i mean copy everything to internal hdd soon after i completed the installation, it's Always the first thing i do when i install MAC, and my EFI folder on Mac partition is exactly like your picture

1 minute ago, Kaya80 said:

I'm sorry to disturb you, if you're tired don't worry, we can talk about this Tomorrow, no problem mate...but i already did that, i mean copy everything to internal hdd soon after i completed the installation, it's Always the first thing i do when i install MAC, and my EFI folder on Mac partition is exactly like your picture

No man you don't disturb me at all :)

I'm just tired and just can't focus enough to think about a solution that's all. I'm not being productive right now. :idea:

5 minutes ago, Kaya80 said:

:D:D Ok, in understand how u feel...

Can you explain once more why the USB installer can't reach the GUI? what kind of error you get if you try to boot into macOS from the USB installer? I'm curious to know what happens?

In principal when the installer can't reach the GUI it's a matter of the config.plist and the drivers and the kext. The boot itself either works or it doesn't.

No, from the USB installer i can boot, it is from internal that i can't...i have no problem with USB, i can't boot in anyway from internal, so i have to attch my installer every time and boot from it to reach both Mac and windws, if i disconeect the usb installer, i can't boot….unable to find bootable device bla bla bla bla...

Just now, Kaya80 said:

No, from the USB installer i can boot, it is from internal that i can't...i have no problem with USB, i can't boot in anyway from internal, so i have to attch my installer every time and boot from it to reach both Mac and windws, if i disconeect the usb installer, i can't boot….unable to find bootable device bla bla bla bla...

I meant the issue from the UEFI boot that you mentioned earlier... (I know you already said not to ask you why but: ) The more we know about the root cause the better chance we have to resolve the issue.

4 hours ago, Kaya80 said:

Don't ask me why , but i know that from El Capitan i have to do this...Uefi installation of Clover doesn't reach the GUI

So, do u think there's nothing to do? but i had my hdd partitioned and everything worked fine until i decided to do a fesh install, daaaaaaaaamn

1. Which macOS you are trying to install?

2. Which Clover Revision you are using?

3. Can you create another USB installer? Just let's not mess with the one that you already have and it's working.

With Uefi settings on USB installer I simply can't boot, and the installer doesn't reach the installer, giving me the same horrible message of " unable to find bootable device", like now.

I installed High Sierra 10.13.3 build, Clover 4558, and yes, i can easily create another, maybe i can try in Uefi mode and tell you something more about the boot problem

Edited by Kaya80

2 minutes ago, Kaya80 said:

With Uefi settings on USB installer I simply can't boot, and the installer doesn't reach the installer, giving me the same horrible message of " unable to find bootable device", like now.

I installed High Sierra 10.13.3 build, Clover 4558, and yes, i can easily create another, maybe i can try in Uefi mode and tell you something more about the boot problem

Ok, I guess I found the issue, clover 4558 is simply unable to boot from legacy mode and you need a legacy version of the clover.

you either need to use another (older) version of clover like r.4522 or you need to download a newer version of clover here is the latest version. But I haven't tested it on my Legacy to see if you can boot from it on legacy system.

There's another alternative which is to find a legacy version of clover simply google: Clover_v2.4k_r4522-Legacy

Install ot on the EFI partition on your internal disk and then copy the necessary files from the USB and it will be able to boot normally.

Clover_v2.4k_r4584.pkg.zip

O thanks Zod, i'll try immediately...and thank you more than Zod :D

Maybe, the best thing now is to da a clean installa again, and a new clean installer on Usb drive, i think the system and the BCD are a complete disaster

Edited by Kaya80

BTW it doesn't work neither with this, maybe i've to try some older version...i tried to add the entry manually in Bios, setting \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI as path, but nothing….now i will try to prepare a new clean installer and a new internal drive, starting with old clover 4392, the one i used before trying this

13 minutes ago, Kaya80 said:

BTW it doesn't work neither with this, maybe i've to try some older version...i tried to add the entry manually in Bios, setting \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI as path, but nothing….now i will try to prepare a new clean installer and a new internal drive, starting with old clover 4392, the one i used before trying this

It's a bummer. Try Clover_v2.4k_r4522-Legacy this revision worked perfectly fine on my Asus P7H55-USB 3 rig which only has a legacy BIOS.

Please let me know once you've downloaded it so I can remove it from my DropBox.

Edited by Cyberdevs

i did it

Now I'm using That Clover version to start a new installation process with anew external and a new internal, to see if after the installation i will have a valid entry to boot

I'm trying in UEFI...just to try the last time

And nothing to do, blinking cursor and no boot...now i'm going with legacy again and at least the installer started immediately....so i think i can only use legacy Clover, definitively

Edited by Kaya80

17 hours ago, Kaya80 said:

i did it

Now I'm using That Clover version to start a new installation process with anew external and a new internal, to see if after the installation i will have a valid entry to boot

I'm trying in UEFI...just to try the last time

And nothing to do, blinking cursor and no boot...now i'm going with legacy again and at least the installer started immediately....so i think i can only use legacy Clover, definitively

Well that's good news.

So with the Legacy Bootloader you are able to boot into the installer and boot into the installed version of macOS, right? :)

Yes mate, only legacy give me a chance, now i'm going to install Clover 4522 on Internal HDD, transfer my kext and verify if it start from internal without using the installer

Ooooooooooooooohhhh finally, 4522 give me the expected results, works like a charm now!! Thank you very much for your patience,now the last step is to install Windows, but after Windows installation, i've to reboot from the installer to OSx and reinstall clover on internal, so Windows boot manager will not overlay Clover bootloader

Edited by Kaya80

6 hours ago, Kaya80 said:

Yes mate, only legacy give me a chance, now i'm going to install Clover 4522 on Internal HDD, transfer my kext and verify if it start from internal without using the installer

Ooooooooooooooohhhh finally, 4522 give me the expected results, works like a charm now!! Thank you very much for your patience,now the last step is to install Windows, but after Windows installation, i've to reboot from the installer to OSx and reinstall clover on internal, so Windows boot manager will not overlay Clover bootloader

That's great and you're welcome buddy :)

I'm glad that the issue is resolved ;)