Logic 7.0 + newbie to the OSX86 world = ?'s

Homersimpson

11 posts in this topic

Hi, i'm new to this site and have just recently heard about all this OSX86 stuff. I've always been Mac with my music, but i'm in the process of upgrading and discovered I can put my Intel Pentium 4 to good use and make some small upgrades rather than purchase another mac brand new or upgrade my G4 and it still not be as fast as the Pentium (even though I would still need to upgrade the Pentium a bit)

I've recently purchased Logic pro 7 and it's being shipped here now, I don't know all the specifics about my pc but this is what I do know some of which is according to CPU-Z:

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00 GHZ(decal says: Intel Pentium 4 HT Inside)

MMX,SSE,SSE2,SSE3

CLOCKS: Core Speed 2995.0 Mhz / Multiplier x15.0 / Bus Speed 199.7 Mhz / Rated FSB 798.6 Mhz

CACHE: L1 Data 16kbytes / L1 Trace 12 Kuops / Level 2 1024 Kbytes

Motherboard: ASUSTeK P4P800SE / CHIPSET Intel i865/PE/G/i848P / SOUTHBRIDGE Intel 82801EB (ICH5) /

512 M RAM / WINFAST A340 GRAPHICS CARD / 120G hdWhat i'm trying to ask anyone is:

1.can i run Logic Pro 7 (legit version) on a mac hack?

2.can my RME Hammerfall pci multiface be hooked up?

3.can i connect a midi keyboard?

4. Is a system like this reliable and fast enough?

5. What version of OSX86 would be the best to install (native)?

6. aside from from logic, are other mac apps easy to install on a Hakintosh?

7. am i better off upgrading my G4(Quicksilver 800mhz) to a dual 1.8 Ghz?

8. what steps should i take for my OSX86 install/upgrade etc....

Any help appreciated!!

1. yes

2. no, maybe never

3. wich connection?

4. yes

5. newest jas install dvd

6. for me yes

7. give hackintosh a try

8. ?

Thanks elRay, i'm currently in limbo, but this site and knowledge i'm gathering everyday is helping me lean over to PC. One question do you think a firewire AD converter will work such as the RME Fireface 400 or 800?

p.s. any other helpful info will be appreciated,thx

the fireface 400 will run out of the box

with 800 i dont know if there is a working pci card with 800 connection

btw. you will get probs with your gaphics you better buy a geforce xfx to get extented desktop

2.can my RME Hammerfall pci multiface be hooked up?

I'm in the same boat. I have recently emailed RME support. They have however planned to release a PCI-Express solution for the multiface in the next 6 months or so. Having that said, they will of course release an unibin driver with the card and I'm wondering if the driver will be able to speak to the old PCI card, too. If not, I will definitely get the PCI-E card which should be around 300 EUR. I love RME and I just can't afford to drop that expensive multiface thing and waste my money for another expensive firewire solution. Any budget firewire cards are not an option for me.

Well, I guess I have to sit this one out.

3.can i connect a midi keyboard?

Most USB keyboards should work without problems.

6. aside from from logic, are other mac apps easy to install on a Hakintosh?

I'm running ableton live 6 and logic. Both applications are working without problems (at least on my rig).

• 1 month later...

hello? thread still alive??

i have the same problems with the hammerfall. only it is a hdsp9632 which, according to rme, is both mac and pc compatible. no g5 though, but osx86 is not bound to g5, right?

so does the above apply also to the hdsp9632??

thanks in advance...

hello? thread still alive??

i have the same problems with the hammerfall. only it is a hdsp9632 which, according to rme, is both mac and pc compatible. no g5 though, but osx86 is not bound to g5, right?

so does the above apply also to the hdsp9632??

thanks in advance...

If the 9632 works the same as the rest of the hammerfall range, you'll need to change the processor chip on it so that it works with a mac....

Each hammerfall card comes with 2 chips....one with an "M" on it and the other with a "P" on it....no prizes for guessing which is which :unsure:

Unfortunately this means that multibooting involves the use of a screwdriver each time...

-JD-

Edited by -JD-