InsanelyMac Forum
ronsharikahn

Suggestions for a vanilla ATI Radeon graphics card

I am fed up with the nvidia driver issues and am looking to replace my GTX-950 with an ATI Radeon based card that can be used almost out of the box with Sierra and hopefully High Sierra.   I'll be using the graphics cards primarily for photography-based apps (Lightroom and photoshop) as well as very light video editing, so support for two monitors are important.   I am not into gaming.   Any suggestions?

Ron

Advertisement

I am fed up with the nvidia driver issues and am looking to replace my GTX-950 with an ATI Radeon based card that can be used almost out of the box with Sierra and hopefully High Sierra.   I'll be using the graphics cards primarily for photography-based apps (Lightroom and photoshop) as well as very light video editing, so support for two monitors are important.   I am not into gaming.   Any suggestions?

Ron

Hi Ron,

Your best options are R9 270X and R9 280X cards if you can find them. These two cards work OOB (Except for XFX cards it seems they are not so easy to use on hacks) without the need of any kext modification.

For having two displays working you might need to create a custom framebuffer though.

There is a new way to avoid the black screen issue by using Lilu.kext v1.1.6 and WhateverGreen.kext v1.0.3 which work pretty good with almost all versions of AMD GPU's including the RX Series and the support for of 2 displays without the need to do anything special. I tested those kexts on my R9 270X and it works fine with two displays without any ATI/AMD injection or framebuffer modification.

There is also a new generation of AMD GPU's called Vega (as you might heard of) and they seem to work OOB without any issues. (That's what I've heard I haven't tested them yet myself).

For more info you can look: WhateverGreen Support, AMD Polaris and Modification of AMD FrameBuffer.

Good Luck

Thank you both for the suggestions.   I went out and purchased the gigabyte RX 460; hopefully it will be more forgiving than my nvidia with its drivers!

Ron

Thank you both for the suggestions.   I went out and purchased the gigabyte RX 460; hopefully it will be more forgiving than my nvidia with its drivers!

Ron

Anytime :)

Good luck with your hack ;)

Anytime :)

Good luck with your hack ;)

Good build and  good hack too ron !

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By zeg66
      Please help me with this 10.9.5 system. Motherboard: Gigabyte 965p-s3 rev3.3, gpu: Ati Radeon HD6450 (dvi/hdmi/vga). 
      Using any of the 3 ports on the 6450 (dvi, hdmi, vga), I see all the white letters on black background during boot but when they complete and it's time for the graphics to start I get a black screen and sometimes a restart after that. Using Clover 4411. Is there any way to get past this?
    • By Soeren_DK
      Hi there.
      I'm new to this site but not totally new to hack. I've had a hack since 10.4 and the latest version I ran was 10.9, not totally fixed but it worked to what I needed. Now I want to make the machine run as good as it can. I can see there has been a lot of changes/upgrades/new solutions since I installed my hack and I have a hard time to catch up.  
      I've been able to boot and install macOSX and now I need the POST installation.
      I tried to install the clover EFI boot loader with these settings:

and found the DSDT.aml and SSDT-0.aml from HERE
      found the apfs.efi
      and placed it in EFI -> EFI -> CLOVER -> driver64
      and these kext in here:

But when I boot it up this is the first bootscreen I have. No partions, no mouse control, no nothing.

if I exit clover this screen appear.

and now everything works. 

What is wrong?
      Cheers
      Soren
    • By TheBloke
      Hi all

I currently use an NVidia 760 with four displays: 1 x 4K; 2 x 1920x1200; 1 x 1920x1080.   This mostly works, but I am considering replacing it with an AMD GPU - likely a Radeon 7970 - for two reasons:
      I would like to add a fifth monitor, maybe even a sixth; I get small stutters and slowdowns with my NVidia, using both Native and NVidiaWeb drivers.  It is a lot better than it was with my NVidia 980Ti, but it's still not perfectly smooth as it should be, especially when I have a full screen video playing while also doing UI movements like Swipe Left A Space or Mission Control.  
      I have just been told that it should be possible to access all display outputs on an AMD 79XX GPU, possibly requiring a custom SSDT and/or radeonDeInit?  I've only ever had one AMD GPU and that was 8 years ago so I am not experienced with them.  My NVidia 980Ti has five outputs, but can only use four at once.  But I believe AMD's EyeFinity does allow it to use them all as separate displays.

Before I buy the GPU, I'd be most grateful if anyone could confirm that it should be possible to run five or six simultaneous displays on a card such as the ASUS HD 7970 DirectCU II (6 x DP outputs) or XFX AMD Radeon HD 7970 (2 x mini-DP; 1 x HDMI; 2 x DVI).  With one display being 4K @ 60fps and the rest 1920x1200 or 1080P.

I have Googled on this a while but haven't yet found anyone discussing connecting more than four monitors to an AMD Hack  I did see that the late-2013 Mac Pro (which uses 2 x AMD FirePro GPUs) states it can support "up to 6 Thunderbolt displays".  So I know the OS can do it, it's just a question of whether a particular GPU can, and in a Hack setup.

Thanks very much

TB
    • By Unklemac_PC
      Hi Insanlymac’ers.

I have a super deal on a WX9100 Radeon Pro Vega, but I only have 12 hours to repond, or it’s gone.

Is this card able to run in High Sierra and take advantage of all 16GB ram?

Thanks in advance!