jnolla

Vega Frontier Edition on High Sierra

754 posts in this topic

Oh I'm sorry to hear that :( So you confirmed that AppleGFXHDA was not loaded, and that you had no HDMI or DP sound outputs shown in Sound Preferences / Audio MIDI Setup?   Given it happened after a reboot, just wondering if something accidentally changed on the reboot, that re-enabled sound or something. 

If not that, then maybe there's yet some other issue with the VII, or a different trigger at least.  Weird :(

Advertisement
24 minutes ago, TheBloke said:

Oh I'm sorry to hear that :( So you confirmed that AppleGFXHDA was not loaded, and that you had no HDMI or DP sound outputs shown in Sound Preferences / Audio MIDI Setup?   Given it happened after a reboot, just wondering if something accidentally changed on the reboot, that re-enabled sound or something. 

If not that, then maybe there's yet some other issue with the VII, or a different trigger at least.  Weird :(

I did verify (kextstat) that the AppleGFXHDA kext was NOT loaded (blocked by OpenCore) .... though to be honest did not check Sound Preferences. I may try again with another SMBios ... that seems to have been the main thing for my Vega64. 

17 hours ago, nefilim said:

I did verify (kextstat) that the AppleGFXHDA kext was NOT loaded (blocked by OpenCore) .... though to be honest did not check Sound Preferences. I may try again with another SMBios ... that seems to have been the main thing for my Vega64. 

So which SMBIOS were you using when you got the freezes?  iMacPro 1,1?  I've had no problems with that SMBIOS on either my H77 or X58, and I've seen posts from quite a few other people using it on various HW, but I suppose this could well vary with the exact HW in use.

When these freezes occur, are you SSHing and confirming they're exactly the same as before, eg a flood of IOAccelerator messages starting with IOAccelFenceMachine::fence_timeout?   Just wondering if it could be some other issue, related to switching to OpenCore.  I've actually put my H77 back onto Clover for now, because I have a couple of issues that I can't currently be bothered to fix.  USB ports issues for one, which are a common problem and I believe are easy to fix, but also a problem with the Realtek gigabit NIC, which keeps disconnecting randomly and throws up PCI errors in Console logs, which I assume is related to missing DSDT/SSDT stuff.    I will likely try to fix those at some point, but for now I've reverted the H77 to Clover.  The X58 I haven't even attempted to put on OpenCore yet, because I know it requires a lot of DSDT patches else it will mess up the BIOS, and I don't yet know how to make those in OC (I'm pretty sure I can't just use the same DSDT.aml from Clover in OpenCore).

Anyway my point is that if you haven't already, I'd advise to confirm that the issue is definitely identical, from checking the Console logs, and also confirm it occurs also in Clover - you can simply remove /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGFXHDA.kext (move it to some other folder) then run Kext Utility, to achieve the same result of disabling that kext in Clover.  Just to rule out the possibility of new OpenCore-specific issues.

If all that doesn't help, then yeah maybe try an SMBIOS closer to your HW, then use the boot arg "shikigva=96 shiki-id=Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94" to enable HW H264 encode/decode and HEVC decode (on 10.15 you won't get HEVC decode.)

Another thing that might be worth mentioning:  on my R9 280X GPU I found that remove AppleGFXHDA had no effect on whether I had HDMI/DP sound outputs.  I additionally needed to stop injecting AppleALC.kext.  Presumably therefore AppleGFXHDA only provides HDMI/DP on certain GPUs, probably newer ones.   I would be quite surprised if the VII didn't use GFXHDA, given it's even newer than the Vega 64, but I mention this just in case. In other words, if you definitely don't have AppleGFXHDA loaded, but you do still have HDMI/DP sound outputs visible in Sound Preferences/Audio MIDI Setup, then try removing AppleALC.kext as well, then re-test.

Good luck!

@TheBloke No luck yet, been making sure my XCPM and AGPM are set up correctly. I did notice this though:

IMG_7595.thumb.jpg.32544d0fd5615373116de58168291a69.jpg

I made sure by moving the kext out of the way in /S/L/E and rebuilding the cache, checked again with kextstat after rebooting and sound preferences too. Still no luck but just thought I'd mention it to you.