jnolla

Vega Frontier Edition on High Sierra

726 posts in this topic

58 minutes ago, max.1974 said:

Hi my friend @flyfree sorry late, im was in travel at work!!!

So glad to help you. :D.. about the differences, About GM, im felling more performance in beta 1 or 2. But if the GM was nice for you, im think that you not need upgrade... a little bit more power and fan issue persist little bit too in betas 1 and 2... GM is good but, not so good (to me) for Amd10000controller.kext. First posts is better quiet and good scores. The last so more loud ... but im hang on... kkkkk :boxing:

You can change only PP_PhmSoftPowerPlayTable (copy and past in info.plist) in any kext AMD10000 version...works for all Vega RX 64 controller :guitar:

Good know that help you!!! :thumbsup_anim:   So enjoy my friend!!!

Many thanks !! 

:drool:

Thanks again, Max. :thumbsup_anim:

Yes, I'm doing that way you mentioned, changing only PP_PhmSoftPowerPlayTable in AMD10000Controller.kext.

I'll report here if there is any issue. 

Advertisement
On 10/1/2018 at 10:41 AM, CMMChris said:

@okrasit Thanks! I meanwhile fixed it myself though. Created an undervolted custom config with VGTab and 1500MHz max clock that runs stable on my machine. Gets me a solid 185k score in Geekbench and 29k score in Luxmark. Also, coil whine is completely gone. Sweet!

@CMMChris - After reading through this thread, and banging my head against the wall because I didn't grasp most of it, your post suddenly made everything make sense for me - thanks!

As per your guide, I used VGTab to create custom tables for my Vega 64 (Powercolor Red Devil), then dropped them in my config.plist under Devices ->Properties

To get my GPU device address, I used gfxutil (./gfxutil -f display). It turned out to be the same address as your GPU device (so I guess this is probably a standard address for a PCI-E GPU).

After this was done, and added to my config.plist, my fans no longer spin up in Mojave after boot (before it usually took 10-20 seconds for them to turn on full blast), so I'm taking this as a sign of your method's success.

I've included the relevant portion of my config.plist below, if it might help others, and to see if anyone can see any errors with it. I guess, it would just be a case of changing the data in <key>PP_PhmSoftPowerPlayTable</key> if I want to make any fan/voltage changes in the future? Thanks :thumbsup_anim:

<key>Devices</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Properties</key>
		<dict>
			<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>
			<dict>
				<key>PP_DisableDIDT</key>
				<integer>0</integer>
				<key>PP_DisablePowerContainment</key>
				<integer>1</integer>
				<key>PP_DisableVoltageIsland</key>
				<integer>0</integer>
				<key>PP_FuzzyFanControl</key>
				<integer>1</integer>
				<key>PP_PhmSoftPowerPlayTable</key>
				<data>
				tgIIAQBcAOEGAADuKwAAGwBIAAAAgKkDAPBJAgBkAAgA
				AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIBXABPAkYClACeAb4AKAF6AIwA
				vAEAAAAAcgIAAJAAqAJtAUMBlwHwSQIAcQICAgAAAAAA
				AAgAAAAAAAAABQAHAAMABQAAAAAAAAABCCADhAO2A+gD
				AQQaBDMETAQBAUwEAQGEAwAIYOoAAABAGQEAAYA4AQAC
				3EoBAAOQXwEABAB3AQAFkJEBAAZssAEABwEIgDgBAAAA
				gAAAAAAAAJBfAQABAAAAAAAAAACghgEAAgAAAAAAAAAA
				sK0BAAMAAAAAAAAAAMDUAQAEAAAAAAAAAADQ+wEABQAA
				AAABAAAA4CICAAYAAAAAAQAAAPBJAgAHAAAAAAEAAAAA
				BWDqAAAAQBkBAACAOAEAANxKAQAAkF8BAAAACChuAAAA
				LMkAAAH4CwEAAoA4AQADkF8BAAT0kQEABdCwAQAGwNQB
				AAcACGw5AAAAJF4AAAH8hQAAAqy8AAADNNAAAARobgEA
				BQiXAQAG7KMBAAcAAWg8AQAAAQQ8QQAAAAAAUMMAAAAA
				AIA4AQACAAAkcQEABAAAAQgAmIUAAEC1AABg6gAAUMMA
				AAGAuwAAYOoAAJQLAQBQwwAAAgDhAACUCwEAQBkBAFDD
				AAADeP8AAEAZAQCIJgEAUMMAAARAGQEAgDgBAIA4AQBQ
				wwAABYA4AQDcSgEA3EoBAFDDAAAGAHcBAAB3AQCQXwEA
				UMMAAAeQkQEAkJEBAAB3AQBQwwAAARgAAAAAAAAAC+QS
				AABYAlAACgBUA5ABkAGQAZABkAGQAZABAAAAAAACBBQH
				3ADcANwALAEAAFkAaQBKAEoAXwBzAHMAZABAAJCSl2CW
				AJBVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACAtQwAAACEGDqAAAC
				EA==
				</data>
			</dict>

Edited by pbryanw

4 hours ago, pbryanw said:

@CMMChris - After reading through this thread, and banging my head against the wall because I didn't grasp most of it, your post suddenly made everything make sense for me - thanks!

As per your guide, I used VGTab to create custom tables for my Vega 64 (Powercolor Red Devil), then dropped them in my config.plist under Devices ->Properties

To get my GPU device address, I used gfxutil (./gfxutil -f display). It turned out to be the same address as your GPU device (so I guess this is probably a standard address for a PCI-E GPU).

After this was done, and added to my config.plist, my fans no longer spin up in Mojave after boot (before it usually took 10-20 seconds for them to turn on full blast), so I'm taking this as a sign of your method's success.

I've included the relevant portion of my config.plist below, if it might help others, and to see if anyone can see any errors with it. I guess, it would just be a case of changing the data in <key>PP_PhmSoftPowerPlayTable</key> if I want to make any fan/voltage changes in the future? Thanks :thumbsup_anim:

<key>Devices</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Properties</key>
		<dict>
			<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>
			<dict>
				<key>PP_DisableDIDT</key>
				<integer>0</integer>
				<key>PP_DisablePowerContainment</key>
				<integer>1</integer>
				<key>PP_DisableVoltageIsland</key>
				<integer>0</integer>
				<key>PP_FuzzyFanControl</key>
				<integer>1</integer>
				<key>PP_PhmSoftPowerPlayTable</key>
				<data>
				tgIIAQBcAOEGAADuKwAAGwBIAAAAgKkDAPBJAgBkAAgA
				AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIBXABPAkYClACeAb4AKAF6AIwA
				vAEAAAAAcgIAAJAAqAJtAUMBlwHwSQIAcQICAgAAAAAA
				AAgAAAAAAAAABQAHAAMABQAAAAAAAAABCCADhAO2A+gD
				AQQaBDMETAQBAUwEAQGEAwAIYOoAAABAGQEAAYA4AQAC
				3EoBAAOQXwEABAB3AQAFkJEBAAZssAEABwEIgDgBAAAA
				gAAAAAAAAJBfAQABAAAAAAAAAACghgEAAgAAAAAAAAAA
				sK0BAAMAAAAAAAAAAMDUAQAEAAAAAAAAAADQ+wEABQAA
				AAABAAAA4CICAAYAAAAAAQAAAPBJAgAHAAAAAAEAAAAA
				BWDqAAAAQBkBAACAOAEAANxKAQAAkF8BAAAACChuAAAA
				LMkAAAH4CwEAAoA4AQADkF8BAAT0kQEABdCwAQAGwNQB
				AAcACGw5AAAAJF4AAAH8hQAAAqy8AAADNNAAAARobgEA
				BQiXAQAG7KMBAAcAAWg8AQAAAQQ8QQAAAAAAUMMAAAAA
				AIA4AQACAAAkcQEABAAAAQgAmIUAAEC1AABg6gAAUMMA
				AAGAuwAAYOoAAJQLAQBQwwAAAgDhAACUCwEAQBkBAFDD
				AAADeP8AAEAZAQCIJgEAUMMAAARAGQEAgDgBAIA4AQBQ
				wwAABYA4AQDcSgEA3EoBAFDDAAAGAHcBAAB3AQCQXwEA
				UMMAAAeQkQEAkJEBAAB3AQBQwwAAARgAAAAAAAAAC+QS
				AABYAlAACgBUA5ABkAGQAZABkAGQAZABAAAAAAACBBQH
				3ADcANwALAEAAFkAaQBKAEoAXwBzAHMAZABAAJCSl2CW
				AJBVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACAtQwAAACEGDqAAAC
				EA==
				</data>
			</dict>

Oh great!! Very good!! would you said how settings are you using? Thanks!!!!!   

Hi, how to install RadeonVegaLowFansSpeed.kext to Mac Pro High Sierra 10.13.6?

I have Sapphire Vega 64 Limited edition. I have Fan Issue, to high RPM (2400).

Do you know something about it?

Thank!!

Edited by zozomester

On 10/6/2018 at 10:08 PM, max.1974 said:

Oh great!! Very good!! would you said how settings are you using? Thanks!!!!!   

@max.1974Thanks! I'm using pretty much the same settings as CMMChris posted, with a few tweaks to fan speed & target temp for my card. So:

GPU Clock: 800 / 900 / 1000 / 1100 / 1200 / 1300 / 1400 / 1500
GPU Voltage: 800 / 900 / 950 / 1000 / 1025 / 1050 / 1075 / 1100
HBM2 Clock: 167 / 500 / 800 / 945
HBM2 Voltage: 1100

Fan Idle: 0
Fan Target: 1250
Fan Minimum: 400
Fan Maximum: 2000

Target Temperature: 80°C
Power Adjustment Range: 100%

I've using the Silent Bios on my GPU. In Windows this means the fans don't spin up when the graphics card is idle. I don't know if this can be achieved in macOS? When I try and find fan speed in terminal using:

ioreg -l |grep \"PerformanceStatistics\" | cut -d '{' -f 2 | tr '|' ',' | tr -d '}' | tr ',' '\n'|grep 'Temp\|Fan' 

I get a "Fan Speed(RPM)" of 562. So, I'm still unsure what the best fan settings in VGTab are for my card (any help would be appreciated).

I also wonder if the card's SoftPowerPlayTable could be extracted from Windows (I run a dual-boot system), and entered into the <key>PP_PhmSoftPowerPlayTable</key>in order to give a more accurate fan and clock/voltage profile under macOS?

13 hours ago, zozomester said:

@zozomester - I'm guessing you're using a Hackintosh, and the Clover bootloader, so just put it in your CLOVER -> kexts -> Other folder and it should work on next boot.

Edited by pbryanw

11 hours ago, zozomester said:

I have Sapphire Vega 64 Limited edition. I have Fan Issue, to high RPM (2400).

Do you know something about it?

Thank!!

Please, post your hardware and system...:happymac:

10 hours ago, max.1974 said:

Please, post your hardware and system...:happymac:

Just install Mojave. I have Sapphire RX Vega 64 Nitro+ almost perfect fan conditions:

• Sysdef = iMacPro1,1
  • I Have Intel UHD630 graphics as iGPU / renderdevice too, (this has impact on fan behaviour, activate in bios / GPU PCI +iGpu / in Mojave it will automatically install).
  • I have only whatsevergreen.kext (latest) in kext folder otherwise black screen issue,
  • After boot fan's are turned off and stay off 0RPM.
  • While 3D usage Gpu 100% usage GPU fans work as normal,
  • After 3D usage Gpu 100% usage GPU fans fall off to 1500RPM,
  • Sleep / Wake restores normal condition to Idle = 0RPM

Not completely perfect but far better compared to HS 10.13.6 and I can live with it.  

My hardware is:     :apple: Mac Pro 2009-5.1, 12 x Xeon X5690 3,46Ghz, 64Gb 1333MHZ, Amfeltec Squid with 4x Toshiba XG5 256GB M.2 SSDs, Kingston HyperX Predator SSD M.2 + HHHL PCIe adapter 960GB (System Disk), Sapphire Vega64 Limited Edition, Inateck KT4004 USB 3.0, Wifi AC/BT4.0

My System:   Macos 10.13.6

Thank You!

5 minutes ago, zozomester said:

My hardware is:     :apple: Mac Pro 2009-5.1, 12 x Xeon X5690 3,46Ghz, 64Gb 1333MHZ, Amfeltec Squid with 4x Toshiba XG5 256GB M.2 SSDs, Kingston HyperX Predator SSD M.2 + HHHL PCIe adapter 960GB (System Disk), Sapphire Vega64 Limited Edition, Inateck KT4004 USB 3.0, Wifi AC/BT4.0

My System:   Macos 10.13.6

Thank You!

Basically you need use with your setting as you want, and insert PP_PhmSoftPowerPlayTable and codes on RadeonVegaLowFansSpeed.kext 

Try install with kext utility this:

Silent Fan: already inserted settings...

RadeonVegaLowFansSpeed.kext.zip

After install and before restart your Mac  run in terminal this command:

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /

Restart and enjoy...

If not work or you need another settings, you can call me on pm :wink_anim:!! 

5 minutes ago, max.1974 said:

Basically you need use with your setting as you want, and insert PP_PhmSoftPowerPlayTable and codes on RadeonVegaLowFansSpeed.kext 

Try install with kext utility this:

Silent Fan: already inserted settings...

After install and before restart your Mac  run in terminal this command:

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /

Restart and enjoy...

If not work or you need another settings, you can call me on pm :wink_anim:!! 

Ok, Thank! Tomorrow I try and write ...

2 minutes ago, zozomester said:

Ok, Thank! Tomorrow I try and write ...

Use only High Sierra 10.13.6 like you said... :thumbsup_anim:

Okay, I have a perfect driver in Windows, but in trying to convert the values from Windows to Mac, I can't find PP_PhmSoftPowerPlayTable in the registry for my XFX Vega 64 air cooled unit.

If I could find it, I'm sure I can use the process Iodine131 identified to convert it.  I've looked very extensively and I can't find it, no matter how long I look.

The only value that I've found that's even close is PP_PhmSoftWTable, and it's clearly not the same.

Any thoughts out there?

Edited by meaganmargaret

Well, Pavo, thanks for NOT answering my question.   That was really really helpful....

And, just as an aside, you can check out which Vega 64 cards are recommended by Apple for their external GPU configurations.....https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208544

My, how odd that they recommend an XFX Vega 64.....and no, Developer or legend or whatever you are, I don't care....

Edited by meaganmargaret

9 minutes ago, meaganmargaret said:

Well, Pavo, thanks for NOT answering my question.   That was really really helpful....

And, just as an aside, you can check out which Vega 64 cards are recommended by Apple for their external GPU configurations.....https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208544

My, how odd that they recommend an XFX Vega 64.....and no, Developer or legend or whatever you are, I don't care....

Just gonna point out that these GPUs are only recommended in a "external" GPU configuration. Which we all, assuming yourself knows that we are not using a "external" GPU configuration. My point was its a known fact that XFX GPUs have always had issues in internal GPU configuration in macOS.

On 5/23/2018 at 4:03 AM, RandomTech said:

So, again, this has nothing to do with the question I asked.   Please go away and fight with someone else over XFX hardware.  

As for the XFX not working with macOS, mine works just fine.  I've had it in High Sierra and Mojave - I'm just trying to fine tune it, but as for any major problems, there just haven't been any.....I was hoping to improve it by using the parameters in the Windows driver, but maybe I'll just post elsewhere.....

Does anyone want to attempt to answer my question?   

On 10/10/2018 at 7:05 PM, meaganmargaret said:

So, again, this has nothing to do with the question I asked.   Please go away and fight with someone else over XFX hardware.  

As for the XFX not working with macOS, mine works just fine.  I've had it in High Sierra and Mojave - I'm just trying to fine tune it, but as for any major problems, there just haven't been any.....I was hoping to improve it by using the parameters in the Windows driver, but maybe I'll just post elsewhere.....

On 10/10/2018 at 5:18 PM, meaganmargaret said:

Okay, I have a perfect driver in Windows, but in trying to convert the values from Windows to Mac, I can't find PP_PhmSoftPowerPlayTable in the registry for my XFX Vega 64 air cooled unit.

If I could find it, I'm sure I can use the process Iodine131 identified to convert it.  I've looked very extensively and I can't find it, no matter how long I look.

The only value that I've found that's even close is PP_PhmSoftWTable, and it's clearly not the same.

Any thoughts out there?

Does anyone want to attempt to answer my question?   

Hi @meaganmargaret its true!!! Im not find too PP_PhmSoftPowerPlayTable in the regedit... its because PP_PhmSoftPowerPlayTable exist only in BIOS. Some guys find a away to copy PP_PhmSoftPowerPlayTable directly from BIOS, but have some especie that security mode, so im not know if is possible change the values...another guys was create a regedit file .reg and just insert in regedit...im not sure if works in models like mine and yours...

Maybe some cards not have same registry on regedit. My card Gigabyte not have, im expend hours looking, and nothing... its binary number, and since now im not find too...

My Bios have but you will need see how to find...

BUT...:sorcerer:

See this video, maybe you are understand a little bit... and find a away ...

This guys only change those BIOS and reinsert on GPU.

Im think is too much risk...so im use only in kext or Clover...

Its sounds like proposital that we not have windows registry to copy or compare ...

BUT ... im sure that the "normal" settings you can copy if you use Windows, and with GPU-Z, save the BIOS and make the changes like video above... my card already on warranty and im not change anything... other think is you will need some boring apps in windows like Bios reader, find PP_ and copy then to your info.plist kext...

Just use iHex and copy setting directly to iHex and not need find space etc... 

:wink_anim: :brr: 

Edited by max.1974

Thank you, Max!!! 

I mean, it works now, and it's not bad, but I'd just like to tune it a bit, and the Windows version of the driver is just a little better, so I thought I'd take a shot at seeing if I could convert it.

Again, thank you very much!

3 minutes ago, meaganmargaret said:

Thank you, Max!!! 

I mean, it works now, and it's not bad, but I'd just like to tune it a bit, and the Windows version of the driver is just a little better, so I thought I'd take a shot at seeing if I could convert it.

Again, thank you very much!

Oh great...!!! Did you find it? Show me a away, please...!!! :w00t:

Edited by max.1974

On 5/2/2018 at 4:27 PM, wyhtc said:

This is my way,copy the info.plist from AMD10000Controller.kext,and make a kext injector. Put it in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other,and it works。。For example,I upload a kext,

Core: 1442MHz/1075mV ,Memory: 1045MHz/1075mV,Temp target: 57,Idle fan: 700rpm.

Hi, I found a link to Your kext on Tonymacx86 and I use it to reduce the fan speed of my Vega64. But while using this kext my Final Cut Pro X is crashing. When I remove it, it works fine, but noisy ... It is probably due to being a different GPU than Yours. The question is how can I adapt it to my GPU? My knowledge in this field is very limited ...

I was looking at the info.plist and couldn't find any figures similar to the values in MHz or mV ...

Could You help me please?

Hello all!

I too had fan issues with the Vega 64 on Mojave and have edited my AMD10000Controller.kext to insert PP_PhmSoftPowerPlayTable as suggest around page 6 (I'll attached the one I used) and is working well however I'm worried it may be slightly different for my particular card? Would this cause any issues? 

I have a Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 64 with i7 8700(non K).

Thank you in advance!

AMD10000Controller.kext.zip