Jump to content
jnolla

Vega Frontier Edition on High Sierra

726 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, iodine131 said:

Oh, 436F6D70757465725C484B45595F..... is just the hex, when converted to base64, they are tgIIAQBcAOEGAADuKwAAGwBIAAAAgKkDAPBJAg....

 

Try hitting this in terminal, you will get your base64 strings from Windows registry file in the format just as okrasit has shared.


cat </path/to/your/soft_power_table.reg> |tr -d ',\\\r\n ' |  sed -En 's/^.*:(.*)$/\1/p' | xxd -r -p | base64

 

I know this is not going to make a huge difference in terms of performance, matter of seconds in rendering or nothing at all. But if it means less heat, stable build (never going to halt due to overheat), and power-saving, why not? As mentioned in some overclockers forums, undervolting can make temperature drops under load and seems to make it even more stable (no throttling/overheating).

 

As macOS seemed not going to extract/prepare a soft power table for each vendor's card, the soft power table could be too conservative and even unstable for some of us.

 

Of course I did this for gaming and fun, I constantly play World of Warcraft and I pretty enjoy with the overclocked Vega64.

Thanks for good information, tried but it gives this error message 

 

-bash:  : command not found

tr: Illegal byte sequence

 

I'll try again later anyway thanks again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement

Hey guys, awesome thread.

 

Has anyone been able to get Vega FE + High Sierra 10.13.4 to work with Amazon Prime Video + Chrome (latest)?

It seems that with Shiki + Safari HD works, but with Chrome it says "HD Unavailable" and it just plays back in SD. 

I don't have a MacBook Pro to test.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/2/2018 at 7:27 AM, wyhtc said:

This is my way,copy the info.plist from AMD10000Controller.kext,and make a kext injector. Put it in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other,and it works。。For example,I upload a kext,

Core: 1442MHz/1075mV ,Memory: 1045MHz/1075mV,Temp target: 57,Idle fan: 700rpm.

RadeonVegaLowFansSpeed.kext.zip

 

Awesome kext. When I login to macOS the fan is idle and all working well.

 

When I run something like The Valley the fans kick up to 4000RPM and just stay there until I quit it.


Any way to limit the fan speeds? If I take out the kext, the fans don't kick up that high but the idle issue is still there.

Any ideas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not working with the 10.13.6 beta :(

 

I tried to modify the AMD10000 kext and lost acceleration. Then I tried to copy the kext from my cloned 10.13.5, still no good. Then I tried to use the kext above with the 10.13.6 info plist but it won't load.

It sounds like there's some biggish changes. I can't even mount EFI with CC lol. Maybe Apple have made security or permission changes...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, surfinchina said:

It's not working with the 10.13.6 beta :(

 

I tried to modify the AMD10000 kext and lost acceleration. Then I tried to copy the kext from my cloned 10.13.5, still no good. Then I tried to use the kext above with the 10.13.6 info plist but it won't load.

It sounds like there's some biggish changes. I can't even mount EFI with CC lol. Maybe Apple have made security or permission changes...

6

What about custom DSDT or SSDT patch, did you tried one of these methods to modify the AMD10000 kext?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, MMido said:

What about custom DSDT or SSDT patch, did you tried one of these methods to modify the AMD10000 kext?

Thanks for your suggestion.

I don't use DSDT or SSDT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2018 at 12:19 PM, wyhtc said:

Hi,I had tested Vega 56,with original frequency,it works. Put it in  EFI/CLOVER/kext/Other and tell me the results, thanks.

 

 

RadeonVega56AirCoolingFansFix.zip

 

Thank you very much for this!!  I am using it right now and it works great!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fixes have stopped working on 10.14... GPU itself seems fine though. I'm just back to one DP and one HDMI.

edit: after a few tests, cinebench openGL is down 50 points to 130, Geekbench GPU is down by 45,000 points from 195000 to 150000!

So Mojave isn't good for the Vega at the moment...

edit next day: I just used the -lilubetaall arg and it's good again :)

 

Edited by surfinchina

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone, I have a Vega 64 Gigabyte and have applied the https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=298343 Vega 56 kext to it, the fans are no longer spinning so quickly but it seems the performance is down a little... I'm liking it that I don't have a leaf blower in my office but would people expect that this would limit my performance?

 

Thanks for any insights.

 

MG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, has anyone tried iodine131's script?  I would, and I probably will, but I'm using a kext for my XFX Vega 64 and it works great, so

 

As I understand it, you get the .reg file from Windows then use the script to convert that table to a Hex version for the Mac, then apply that in the AMD10000Controller.kext (in the appropriate place in that kext).

 

Is that correct?

Edited by meaganmargaret

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/23/2018 at 2:27 AM, obus said:

Used your patch on my Vega 64 Liquid with no problems and increased performance. The fan for the cooler is a little more noisy but that's not a big problem. 

 

How do I add that powertable? I used the RadeonVegaLowFansSpeed kext on my RX Vega 64 Liquid without a problem but would like to increase it's performance a bit more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Geekbench has gone from 149000 on 10.13.5, to 182000 on Mojave, to 215000 on the 10.13.6 beta 2 released today! But on the biggest overclock settings on page 6 of this guide it crashed luxmark and Cinebench with the 10.13.6 beta 2...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, surfinchina said:

My Geekbench has gone from 149000 on 10.13.5, to 182000 on Mojave, to 215000 on the 10.13.6 beta 2 released today! But on the biggest overclock settings on page 6 of this guide it crashed luxmark and Cinebench with the 10.13.6 beta 2...

Hi Surfinchina

sorry for little offtopic

I am searching for X299 Gigabyte user verbose bootlog to verify TSC Unsinched cores problem.

When you have some time could you post your or if you have posted it before where?

Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, fabiosun said:

Hi Surfinchina

sorry for little offtopic

I am searching for X299 Gigabyte user verbose bootlog to verify TSC Unsinched cores problem.

When you have some time could you post your or if you have posted it before where?

Thank you

No worries. Here you go :)

 

system.log.1.gz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a 10.13.5 i7 8700k Asus Z370g Gaming wifi system that I was using with 980ti but got tired of the video stuttering issues, so I ordered two AMD cards: Red Devil Vega 64 and Sapphire Pulse Vega 56. Tried the Vega 64 first, but it was very loud and once it spinned up its fans then it wouldn't never spin them down but also had some annoying mouse lag - I could steadily move mouse cursor in one direction and once every few seconds it would stop it for like 1/3 of a second and then just continue the movement.

 

I've switched the card for the Sapphire Pulse Vega 56 that seems to have fan speeds in check, however the annoying mouse lag/stutter is there as well. Does anyone knows what causes it and how to fix it? I've tried updating to latest 5422 Clover, latest Lilu, Shiki, and so on, but nothing seems to be fixing it.

 

The OS recognises the card as 'Radeon RX Vega 56 8176 MB', the system profile I'm using in Clover is iMac 18,3. Any help is appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/27/2018 at 10:52 AM, iodine131 said:

I have made a shell script.

 

Just hit:


./convert.sh </path/to/your/soft_power_table.reg>

Please give it a try.

 

Cheers

convert.sh

 

Still the same Error.

 

tr: Illegal byte sequence

 

What could be the Problem?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Tom01 said:

 

Still the same Error.

 

tr: Illegal byte sequence

 

What could be the Problem?

 

May I have your registry file? Perhaps different Windows environment generates/needs registry files with slightly different formats/encoding

Edited by iodine131

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, iodine131 said:

 

May I have your registry file? Perhaps different Windows environment generates/needs registry files with slightly different formats/encoding

Hi,

I am having the same response as tom01. I just used the original files that were from overclocker.net. 

 

Thanks for the help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, eliyu321 said:

Hi,

I am having the same response as tom01. I just used the original files that were from overclocker.net. 

 

Thanks for the help!

Thanks for letting me know.

 

I found my registry is in ASCII but the registry files in overclocker.net are in UTF-16LE

Text editors are smart enough to handle that but stream/text command line tools ain't so smart (or perhaps it was me who wasn't so smart).

 

I wrote a C program to decode the original registry files. After that, the same convert.sh should work well.

 

cd /path/to/extracted/location/decode-and-convert

./decode <original.reg> <output.reg>

./convert.sh <output.reg>

 

If you are using macOS 10.13, the binary *should* work OOB, if not, just hit

make decode

 

The convert.sh, decode binary for 10.13, as well as its source code are in attachment.

 

Edit 1:

I can't upload attachments for unknown reason......here is the archive in AWS S3:

https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/iodine131-macos/decode-and-convert.zip

 

Edit 2:

I think the RadeonSoftPowerTableEditor outputs registry files in ASCII instead of UTF-16LE. That's why I can't reproduce the issue previously.

Edited by iodine131

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/17/2018 at 1:03 AM, Wackymac said:

btw! @okrasit you should try and get your voltages lower, im currently running at 1700mhz/950mv on the core and 1150mhz/920mv on the hbm.

 

Which Graphics-Card is that, running with this Values?

Edited by Tom01

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

in 13.5 I'm finding that after having used my Radeon Pro WX9100 for a while now that each update, the reset to 1500mhz gives a boost to FCPX and makes general gaming in OSX more responsive. With the 57 deg target 1442mhz patch to the kext I'm getting a notable drop in FPS in games after a few hours play (even simple games like League of Legends where my old as hell HD7970 would keep fps at or around 60, matching my apple cinema display) but if I drop the patch and keep the stock setting with the higher clock my Radeon Pro, it performs much better in games and is a tad more responsive in FCPX. Sad thing is, because there is no fan curve, after a few hours gaming the system simply shuts off because the card overheats because its wrongly standard high spin speed never increases with use.

 

is there a way to tweak that long line of code to keep the Radeon pro at 1500mhz stock and just up the fan curve? Maybe a 50 deg target to go with that stock clock speed? If lowering the voltages while keeping the speeds at stock would help I'm happy to test a few different settings out. This card seems to throttle a bit on my average working day when it waits for 57 deg. FCPX doesnt seem to run it as hard as it possibly could and so Even doing big renders on the 57deg patch the card hardly ever has its fans spin up all that much but it sure does get warm... so I would be keen for a more aggressive fan curve if its at all possible? I don't mind quite a bit more fan noise, my two HD7970 used to make enough noise during long renders that you could hear them down the hallway at night. The comparative silence of this card, when patched, unnerves me. I don't have windows installed to compare as I'm only really a mac/hackintosh user..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2018 at 3:32 PM, Setura said:

in 13.5 I'm finding that after having used my Radeon Pro WX9100 for a while now that each update, the reset to 1500mhz gives a boost to FCPX and makes general gaming in OSX more responsive. With the 57 deg target 1442mhz patch to the kext I'm getting a notable drop in FPS in games after a few hours play (even simple games like League of Legends where my old as hell HD7970 would keep fps at or around 60, matching my apple cinema display) but if I drop the patch and keep the stock setting with the higher clock my Radeon Pro, it performs much better in games and is a tad more responsive in FCPX. Sad thing is, because there is no fan curve, after a few hours gaming the system simply shuts off because the card overheats because its wrongly standard high spin speed never increases with use.

 

is there a way to tweak that long line of code to keep the Radeon pro at 1500mhz stock and just up the fan curve? Maybe a 50 deg target to go with that stock clock speed? If lowering the voltages while keeping the speeds at stock would help I'm happy to test a few different settings out. This card seems to throttle a bit on my average working day when it waits for 57 deg. FCPX doesnt seem to run it as hard as it possibly could and so Even doing big renders on the 57deg patch the card hardly ever has its fans spin up all that much but it sure does get warm... so I would be keen for a more aggressive fan curve if its at all possible? I don't mind quite a bit more fan noise, my two HD7970 used to make enough noise during long renders that you could hear them down the hallway at night. The comparative silence of this card, when patched, unnerves me. I don't have windows installed to compare as I'm only really a mac/hackintosh user..

 

It's quite easy to edit manually.  See this post on reddit for details.  You want to edit the target temp and scale the gpu clock fields.

 

https://www.reddit.com/r/MoneroMining/comments/7ohodm/soft_powerplay_table_builder/

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×