OSInstall.mpkg not found

39 posts in this topic

Hey :-)

In managed to get into the installer of macOS High Sierra. The USB-installer works, and the installation files get copied to SSD.

But when I restart and to finally install from SSD, the main installer fails: "Path to /System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg is damaged or missing".

I tried to copy the packages from InstallESD.dmg to /System/Installation/Packages, but when I am in terminal in the installer, the path is still empty.

I also tried to restore basesystem.dmg to the USB and copy there packages to /System/Installation/Packages, but also in this case the folder /System/Installation is shown empty.

How can I get past the error …/OSInstall.mpkg is damaged or missing?

Thanks for an answer

in a nutshell you need to remove all of the hard disks except for the one that you want to install macOS High Sierra on. The only version of clover that I was able to install macOS High Sierra with all my hard disks attached was the 4092 version with you can find the EFI folder here.

I didn't have any other os installed on the drive that I was trying to install macOS High Sierra on so if you have another version of macOS installed on that particular hard drive I'm not sure if you can succeed.

But you need to remove the following files before using my EFI folder. remove all the files in the following path or replace them with the ones you might already have : /EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched/

• Like 1

Thank you for your EFI-Folder. It got me running, I have it installed now. For subsequent boots I use my own Clover though, the last version. It works now, thanks to your EFI-folder I was able to install macOS High Sierra. Everything looks fine.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

This worked for the Betas of High Sierra, but now that the final is out, I get this error again. At first there is a firmware error reported, on rebooting again the path to OSInstall.pkg is missing. 

You need to update the SMBIOS info on your config.plist (use clover configurator) and use the latest version of Clover to avoid these kind of errors.

Could you explain " Update your SMBIOS"  Does that mean change  system models i.e. Im using Mac Pro 5.1 to something else. Im having the same firmware osiinstall pkg is missing problem. Thanks

Thank you very much, cyberdevs, that was most helpful and worked. Running now updated SMBIOS and macOS High Sierra

You're welcome :)

Could you explain " Update your SMBIOS"  Does that mean change  system models i.e. Im using Mac Pro 5.1 to something else. Im having the same firmware osiinstall pkg is missing problem. Thanks

No you don't need to change the system model, all you have to do is to open the config.plist with the latest version clover configurator and re select you current system model. and it will be updated.

I don't know if this helps someone else, but what helped me is this:

• Fixed SMBIOS.
  • "sudo nvram -c"
  • Reboot into HS installer partition with the app.

The last part is very important. I rebooted a million times. What finally worked was launching the HS install app and rebooting with that app.

I have the same error after I upgrade my macbook Pro (late 2011) from sierra to high sierra. I have read several solution but sorry I can not yet understand, like update SMBIOS or clover configuration.

If I reboot my mac now, the error message macos could not be installed on your computer.

The path /System/installationackages/OSInstall.mpkg appear to be missing ...like attached file

Thanks

post-2269397-0-60855300-1506773844_thumb.jpeg

I have the same error after I upgrade my macbook Pro (late 2011) from sierra to high sierra. I have read several solution but sorry I can not yet understand, like update SMBIOS or clover configuration.

If I reboot my mac now, the error message macos could not be installed on your computer.

The path /System/installationackages/OSInstall.mpkg appear to be missing ...like attached file

Thanks

The solutions mentioned here are specifically for hackintoshes. 

What you can try is:

Delete the install data (/macOs Install Data/ folder), clear nvram (turn macbook off, turn it back on and hold option - command - p - r)  and redownload the update

Thanks

Plagued by this error, I reverted back to 10.12.6. Will wait a few months until the installation process becomes more straightforward - it always does. Yeah, I'm rusty - but High Sierra is perhaps the most difficult upgrade since Yosemite IMO.

@ricoc90 is correct, this solution is only applicable to hack not the genuine Apple computers.

I'm not sure if that could help or not I haven't upgraded my MacBook Air to macOS High Sierra yet but if you are willing to test it would be great.

If the terminal command fails to reset the nvram on your MacBooks, you might want to try the PRAM/NVRAM reset as @ricoc90 suggested. and hold them until you hear the startup sound two times (I usually hold them until I hear the sound 3 times) then release the keys and let the computer to turn on normally then try installing once more.

You might also need to reset the SMC. SMC is another part of the Mac hardware that stores the critical settings on every Mac computer.

Here is how to reset the SMC

macOS (All versions) will update the EFI Firmware as a part of the installation process if necessary.

Anyone pls help me, i have same issues OSinstall is missing..i cant modified with clover configuratin cause my el capitam overwrite with file High Sierra.. I tried everything step expect smbios update..

My rig:

Intel i3 6100

MSI h110m pro-vh

Intel hd530

Hdd 1tb wdc blue

Please if you guys hv a efi folder like my setup rig, share with me :((( cause cant access os x again

I’m on a hack, the sequence of posts didn’t help me. But I do intend to wait a couple of months at least after my recent experience trying to upgrade. Cheers!

Well, it's up to you if you rather to wait :)

@moronkids

But in my experience OSInstall.mpkg error usually happens for one of the following reasons:

1. EmuVaraiableUEFI.efi will cause the error

2. nvram.plist (I never had a problem with the nvram.plist being present on the EFI partition)

3. Outdated SMBIOS data (BIOS version and BIOS released date)

4. Outdated clover revision and outdated FF & FFM

5.  Having more than one HDD/SSD connected to the mainboard (Few months back I had to remove all the HDDs/SSDs and just left the HDD that I wanted to install macOS on - This was before I recovered the role of the EmuVaraiableUEFI.efi in producing the error)

6. Older version of the FakeSMC.kext - FakeSMC 3.5.0 by @Slice seems to solved the OSInstall.mpkg error, I haven't tested it yet)

7. Having windows installed on another partition or another hard disk.

If you decide to give it another shot I hope you find these info useful.

Cheers :)

• Like 2

Well, it's up to you if you rather to wait :)

@moronkids

But in my experience OSInstall.mpkg error usually happens for one of the following reasons:

1. EmuVaraiableUEFI.efi will cause the error

2. nvram.plist (I never had a problem with the nvram.plist being present on the EFI partition)

3. Outdated SMBIOS data (BIOS version and BIOS released date)

4. Outdated clover revision and outdated FF & FFM

5. Having more than one HDD/SSD connected to the mainboard (Few months back I had to remove all the HDDs/SSDs and just left the HDD that I wanted to install macOS on - This was before I recovered the role of the EmuVaraiableUEFI.efi in producing the error)

6. Older version of the FakeSMC.kext - FakeSMC 3.5.0 by @Slice seems to solved the OSInstall.mpkg error, I haven't tested it yet)

7. Having windows installed on another partition or another hard disk.

If you decide to give it another shot I hope you find these info useful.

Cheers :)

Thanks for your answer, i tried point 1-7 expect point 6 cause i dont find searching in internet.. Now my high sierra not stuck at OSinstall.mpkg but stuck at diagnosed hold D blablabla..

Sorry bad english

Thanks for your answer, i tried point 1-7 expect point 6 cause i dont find searching in internet.. Now my high sierra not stuck at OSinstall.mpkg but stuck at diagnosed hold D blablabla..

Sorry bad english

Check this post

Send me your config.plist, remove the Serial Number and MLB and UUID before posting it here. I'll take a look. Which clover revision you are using?

Sorry for posting to your forum. I didn't carefully read if this only for hacking non genuine Mac.

For my case, I have tried your suggestions above but didn't success.

My volume have change to APFS volume, so I couldn't revert to Sierra. Using recovery mode and then choose to reinstall macos show error message " the recovery server could not be contacted".

Using internet recovery mode, the installation freeze on message 3 hours 19 minutes but I waited until 7 hours, no progress changes.

I look at Error Log, as attachment.

Maybe you can help me to resolve my problem.

Note: previously I change my HD with SSD (using Corsair XTI 480G)

Thanks a lot for your suggestions.

post-2269397-0-06642100-1506959900_thumb.jpeg

post-2269397-0-04921100-1506959939_thumb.jpeg

This my config.plist and efi folder :( hope you can help me

Check this post

Send me your config.plist, remove the Serial Number and MLB and UUID before posting it here. I'll take a look. Which clover revision you are using?

This my config.plist and EFI folder hope you can help me :(

I forgot about clover revision , yesterday i try using lastest clover but stuck on OS Utilities

config.zip

EFI.zip

EFI.zip

config.zip