Can't boot without HDMI-cable connected to internal graphics card?

irrbloss

3 posts in this topic

Hello, I used to have a Nvidia GTX 970 with webdrivers, but decided to get an ATI RX 580 to get some better performance in FCPX (which I did! huge improvement!). It took a while to get it working, now everything works perfect, except I can't disable the internal GFX (apparently some ATI-cards needs a helper card). The problem is I can't boot without connecting a HDMI-cable to my internal GFX-card - the system just halts. I don't know how to get around this. I have tried both "enabled" and "auto" in bios for the internal GFX, and set IGFX to be the primary device. As soon as I boot with the HDMI-cable attached everything works fine again. Is there a setting I can try in Clover to solve this? I'm using Sierra 10.12.5 with a Gigabyte MOBO and use a DP-cable with my RX 580.

Ouch. What I understand about this situation is with some motherboard's firmware, it requires you to have an actual monitor plugged into the primary display port that you have selected in the BIOS/UEFI firmware, which in your case it's IGFX. I have personally not had to deal with this problem as I've always used Nvidia which does not have this requirement of setting your primary display in the BIOS/UEFI to IGFX or IGPU, but from what I understand this is a thing with AMD graphics.

I think it has mainly been those small Intel NUC boxes that had a display plug in requirement in the UEFI which people would get around by using some kind of loopback device. Though, what was commonly used was either upgrading or rolling back the UEFI firmware to a version that no longer required a display to be plugged in. Since you haven't mentioned your motherboard model (other than being Gigabyte) I cannot search for that, so if you're up to it you can see what you can find.

There are also various HDMI display emulators plug ins that you can buy for under 10 USD but I have never used them myself. Google "CompuLab Display Emulator" for one. I have never used it so I cannot promise you anything.

As you can see I'm a retired developer and have no experience with dealing with present day AMD graphics cards, but I felt like telling you what I think regardless. Good luck on getting past this challenge.

• Like 1