KNNSpeed

Dell XPS 15 9560: 4K Touch, 1TB SSD, 32GB RAM, 100% AdobeRGB​

354 posts in this topic

If it's anything like my TB2 eGPU, simply adding a 5-10 second timeout in clover at boot will allow macOS to load it 95+% of the time. (My thunderbolt tab says no drivers loaded regardless of whether it's operating or not.)

I've got it set at 8 seconds for me, used to be 5 but that wasn't enough after switching to KNNSpeed's build. This does rely on macOS being the default selection in Clover. I'm not sure it works otherwise, feel free to experiment.

You can but you'll need additional kexts/patches, and you'll have to be careful about sleep/hibernation.

Read other/older 9550 & 9560 threads to figure out exactly what's needed.

Thank you my friend

Advertisement

Installed, everything works properly except App Store

I cant login to App Store and the error code is "Your device or computer could not be verified"

And i have tried different method, one of it is to clean up the present networking setting, but i can't find and create

"Ethernet (en0)"

Installed, everything works properly except App Store

I cant login to App Store and the error code is "Your device or computer could not be verified"

And i have tried different method, one of it is to clean up the present networking setting, but i can't find and create

"Ethernet (en0)"

Problem solved by using the NullEthernet.kext

If it's anything like my TB2 eGPU, simply adding a 5-10 second timeout in clover at boot will allow macOS to load it 95+% of the time. (My thunderbolt tab says no drivers loaded regardless of whether it's operating or not.)

I've got it set at 8 seconds for me, used to be 5 but that wasn't enough after switching to KNNSpeed's build. This does rely on macOS being the default selection in Clover. I'm not sure it works otherwise, feel free to experiment.

You can but you'll need additional kexts/patches, and you'll have to be careful about sleep/hibernation.

Read other/older 9550 & 9560 threads to figure out exactly what's needed.

I appreciate the tip. I added a 10 sec delay. So here's the weird issue now.

- My 4TB Lacie Raid would show up in disk util in terminal and in clover configurator but I cant mount it.

- When I try to mount it via terminal it times out.

I also found that actually trying to load the disk utlitiy app it would get stuck in loading disk.

Any tips to figure this out? It's definitely an oddball.

EDIT: Going through the pages in this thread Johnny4911 stating to disable the 2 pre-boot options in the bios and that did the trick! Now my Lacie 4TB shows up all the time now! I'm so glad! 

What leads to the high surface temperature ? Near to the keyboard of left hand side

But i have check it with HWSensor, the temperature is fine(around 45-50 degrees celsius).

When i looked at the frequency, omg it's always above 4GHz and sometimes may raise to 4.8~5GHz.

Will this be a problem if getting too high frequency in long term?

That's just where the battery charging circuit is. People like fast charging batteries, which means more energy needs to be delivered per second, which means more heat in the relevant areas.

That's just where the battery charging circuit is. People like fast charging batteries, which means more energy needs to be delivered per second, which means more heat in the relevant areas.

Thank you for your reply, but i still have a few questions.

First, while running at windows, the area is not that hot, or its just fine in OSX?

Second, can i lower the frequency of CPU?I am afraid that it might damage the CPU when it working at high burden frequently.

Heats up for me on both.

If it's always running above 4GHz, make sure you aren't doing anything that's taxing the cpu. Mine idles around 1.3GHz, and ramps up to 4.xGHz under load. Also examine Activity Monitor for any CPU-intensive processes (Spotlight indexing comes to mind).

Two quick questions:

1. Is it possible to clone windows to an external hdd then clone it back to the NVMe after the 4k sector reformat?

2. If 1 is possible, can I then follow all the steps to install mac on a partition on that same drive?

Heats up for me on both.

If it's always running above 4GHz, make sure you aren't doing anything that's taxing the cpu. Mine idles around 1.3GHz, and ramps up to 4.xGHz under load. Also examine Activity Monitor for any CPU-intensive processes (Spotlight indexing comes to mind).

Thanks!

What leads to the high surface temperature ? Near to the keyboard of left hand side

But i have check it with HWSensor, the temperature is fine(around 45-50 degrees celsius).

When i looked at the frequency, omg it's always above 4GHz and sometimes may raise to 4.8~5GHz.

Will this be a problem if getting too high frequency in long term?

How is this possible? I thought the max speed of the CPU was 3.8GHz...?

How is this possible? I thought the max speed of the CPU was 3.8GHz...?

I just confused about it and found that it was just the wrong display :P

I'm sorry

Now, everything works properly, only the surface temperature is a bit hotter than running on Windows

Hey guys,

I just heard about the fix for the jack was there.

So I unistalled VoodooHDA.kext and VoodooHDA.prefPanel and then I followed the new tutorial.

I put the files where it was indicated and changed the layout-id to 72 then used the install.sh script.

After rebooting I checked my IORegistry to check if the job was working but I can't seem to find it.

I am using the files from the previous github from (@wmchris) and just download the fix from yours.

Now, I get no sound neither from the jack and the speakers. So I guess I did something wrong!

Do someone have a clue?

Thanks!

Problem solved by using the NullEthernet.kext

Pal, could you share your procedures of handling nullethernet problem? I failed to do it after following all the guides on http://buildingahackintosh.weebly.com/networking-in-sierra.htmland https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Null-Ethernet.

I thought there's sth wrong with my config. :(

Idd, also found that was the issue.

Thing is I can't get it to work.

I took these step:

1. Downloaded NullEthernet.kext from rehabman. (https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-null-ethernet/downloads/RehabMan-NullEthernet-2016-1220.zip)
  2. Installed it with Kext Wizard (to /System/Library/Extensions)
  3. Copied ssdt-rmne.aml to /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/ and renamed to ssdt-1.aml
  4. Rebooted
  5. Deleted NetworkInterfaces.plist in /Library/Preferences/System Configuration
  6. Rebooted

Doesn't change anything...

Pal, did you succeed in managing the nullethernet.kext? I redid your procedure plus the fix in sortedorder in config.plist and still failed.... :(

There has to be a network interface named en0, if you do not have a pluggable  ethernet then use the nullethernet kext to create a virtual  ethernet port.

Could you please share your procedure of applying the nullethernet.kext ? :blush:

[quote name="325523"

Pal, did you succeed in managing the nullethernet.kext? I redid your procedure plus the fix in sortedorder in config.plist and still failed.... :(

Could you please share your procedure of applying the nullethernet.kext ? :blush:

It's been almost 2 months since I tried that.

As I remember well I never managed it to work.

The day after, luckily, I received the DW1560. Now I put the DW1830 in my XPS.

OK, I deleted the clover folder and put back the one from the first post, adding my own config.plist, FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext for DW1560 and the did the ComboJack Installer part.

I also deleted /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist to be sure and rebooted.

Let's see if that changes anything.

After 1 month, unfortunately, I'm still having bluetooth issues...

Starting with a fresh Clover folder fixed the issue, but it then returned after 1 week. I then ordered a new network card, the DW1830, as it works out of the box.

After I put the card in my XPS, I started again from a fresh Clover folder and deleted "/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist" again. It worked for +/- 1 week, but now the same problems return. No bluetooth after sleep and even after a reboot it doesn't work. Removing the Bluetooth device in Preferences doesn't fix the issue.

Tried it with LiluFriend and without (after recommandation of KNNSpeed).

I found on other forums, that is could be because of the Android File Transfer app and Chrome WebUSB. So I removed that and disabled WebUSB. Didn't fix a thing.

Also I noticed my Wifi connection gets lost or slows down after waking from sleep. (Wifi fully connected though) It goes from 185Mbps to 10Mbps or to 0Mbps

If anyone has a solution, that would be great.

J-J

EDIT 1:

I adjust these entries in "LiluFriend.kext > info.plist" but doesn't seem to work:

<key>OSBundleLibraries</key>

<dict>

<key>as.vit9696.Lilu</key>

<string>1.1.0</string>

<key>as.vit9696.AppleALC</key>

<string>1.0</string>

<key>org.rehabman.driver.AppleSmartBatteryManager</key>

<string>1.70.3</string>

<key>com.apple.kpi.bsd</key>

<string>12.0.0</string>

<key>com.apple.kpi.iokit</key>

<string>12.0.0</string>

<key>com.apple.kpi.libkern</key>

<string>12.0.0</string>

<key>com.apple.kpi.mach</key>

<string>12.0.0</string>

<key>com.apple.kpi.unsupported</key>

<string>12.0.0</string>

<key>org.vanilla.driver.CoreDisplayFixup</key>

<string>1.0</string>

<string>com.no-one.BrcmFirmwareStore</string>

<string>2.2.7</string>

<string>com.no-one.BrcmPatchRAM2</string>

<string>2.2.7</string>

</dict>

Steps I took:

• Open LiluFriend.kext/Contents/Info.plist and locate to OSBundleLibraries, you'll find two examples which are as.vit9696.Lilu and org.vanilla.driver.CoreDisplayFixup
  • Add your desired plugins here. (Check the Info.plist of the plugin and gather its CFBundleIdentifier)
  • Save your edited Info.plist and install LiluFriend.kext to /Library/Extensions and /System/Library/Extensions, you can also let your bootloader inject it if you prefer not to install any kext on system locations for those who want Lilu and its plugins always work fine.

EDIT 2:

Laptop got into sleep mode, 2 hours ago. When I just pushed the power button, laptop woke up with bluetooth enabled... So maybe only an issue when getting into sleep mode by closing the lit. I still get slower Wifi than usual.

It's been almost 2 months since I tried that.

As I remember well I never managed it to work.

The day after, luckily, I received the DW1560. Now I put the DW1830 in my XPS.

Well thanks! Guess there would be sth wrong with this method. Maybe I need to consult rehabman directly...

Posted this over on the Tonymac thread but asking it here as well:

I seem to be having an issue with the new audio fix. I think I performed all the steps correctly - but when I get to the last step with install.sh, the output I get in Terminal is "no such file or directory" for cp, chmod, and chown instances of ComboJack, hda-verb, and com.XPS.ComboJack.plist. 

I can tell it's not installed properly because when I plug in my speakers I get a lot of harsh static - and no popup message like I should be seeing. 

Can anyone help? Thanks!

You ran the script from the wrong folder. You need to use cd to position the terminal to wherever you unzipped the folder:

cd /path/to/folder

Then run the script.

has anyone thought of dual booting mac os and windows on this configuration, would it be possible to re-enable the gtx 1050 if that were the case (only for the windows partition)

You ran the script from the wrong folder. You need to use cd to position the terminal to wherever you unzipped the folder:

cd /path/to/folder

Then run the script.

Thanks, got it! 

If my audio jack is plugged into the laptop while it goes into sleep or when I close the lid, upon waking/opening there is a harsh hum noise. I have to unplug the jack and reinsert it for the window prompt to appear again in order for the audio to work as normal. Is this a limitation of the audio fix - or is something wrong? 

has anyone thought of dual booting mac os and windows on this configuration, would it be possible to re-enable the gtx 1050 if that were the case (only for the windows partition)

Pretty sure most of us are doing this. The 1050 is only disabled for the Mac side.

Thanks, got it! 

If my audio jack is plugged into the laptop while it goes into sleep or when I close the lid, upon waking/opening there is a harsh hum noise. I have to unplug the jack and reinsert it for the window prompt to appear again in order for the audio to work as normal. Is this a limitation of the audio fix - or is something wrong?

Not sure. I haven't noticed this, but I haven't booted Mac OS in more than a month at this point. You also shouldn't need to remove and reinsert; the prompt should show up again on wake. If you're playing a song while it's sleeping/waking, that might be your problem.

Pretty sure most of us are doing this. The 1050 is only disabled for the Mac side.

I swear I remember reading somewhere that the CUDA cores can still be utilized inside Mac for video rendering. Is this true or did I dream it?